My First Trackday At Tally - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
T BOTM Winner 11 / 11

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My First Trackday At Tally

Well I finally made my way down to the Mighty Talladega GP Track for the first time. Did the trackday with Sportbike Track Time on November 6th 2010. I decided it would be best for me to run the Intermediate class seeing as how I didn't know the track as well as I was on my new (new to me) 600rr.

Bike Story:
It is an '07 rr that my suspension guy found at an auction with with a repo title with around 600 miles on it. He bought the bike for another friend of mine which set it up for his "B" bike, but never used it for more than a session at a trackday. He decided to get rid of it for a jam-up price. I bought it. That's all I have to say about that. Any intrest as far as mods to the bike just let me know and I will post.

The first time I actually rode the bike was the first session on the track this trip. Well if you guys and gals are like me ADHD has kicked in and you are tired of reading so on with it already.

The video below is of the third session. Any pointers or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
T BOTM Winner 11 / 11

Oh yeah the first minute and 25 seconds is a waste of time. Also the first lap or so I was following a friend on the motard to give him a little video footage.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Knee Dragger

that looks like fun.............

Full akaprovic exhaust/BMC air filter/PC
Rizoma Lux billet grips/ Zero 11 turn signals/Rizoma crank case cover
Powder coat rims, rearsets, pass pegs
Pazzo shorty clutch and break
Krazy eyes, blue light kit, MOD of the year

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 04:11 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Did we meet last weekend? The guy that passed you at the 8:44 mark is the new owner of STT. Lines looked pretty close except thru the 90s (T3).
Tally is alot of fun and not as easy as some think. You heading to CMP next weekend? Tdub

SAY WHAT!!!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 04:44 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
advice...take that dangling yellow thing off your key!!~ thats got to be a distraction.

C"mon girl, just let me put the tip in!!!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 01:39 AM
Pocketbike Racer

lookign at the video shows to be about 1:09s per lap or so.. not bad at all on a new bike.. i run 1:06-1"08s there
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
T BOTM Winner 11 / 11

Throttle Response: I was running consistant 1:07's, but as you can tell I had to go the long way around the track. I believe 90% of my passes were around the outside. I could have definitely picked-up some time following someone that knew the track to see their lines. TDub: I actually met you and Jake last year at CMP in the rain. At that time you wouldn't let Jake put a seat pad on his bike until his times got where you wanted them. I haven't made up my mind about CMP yet. The past two years there it has been freakin cold in November, but we will see. Muffin Man: The "yellow dangling thing" is a key chain that my girlfriend put on my keys and won't let me take off. Gay I know, but I don't even notice it anymore. It used to bug the **** out of me.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 10:03 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G'VegasRR View Post
TDub: At that time you wouldn't let Jake put a seat pad on his bike until his times got where you wanted them.
I finally let him have one!

SAY WHAT!!!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Pocketbike Racer

ya i noticed the long way around line lol

and tdub, you have me wondering... why no seatpad... im sure its a training exercise, but why... info me lol
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
T BOTM Winner 11 / 11

Yeah Jake it kicking up the dust now. I am sure alot of people have their eyes on him. I think the no seat exercise worked. Ha ha. Super talented kid. Gotta ask! How was Jake diggin the R6?
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 03:25 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttle response View Post

and tdub, you have me wondering... why no seatpad... im sure its a training exercise, but why... info me lol
Just had not painted the new glass is all. Had to come up with a better excuse!! Got to get into the heads of these kids and show 'em who is boss!!!I might even get him premium gas someday if he gets faster!Tdub

SAY WHAT!!!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 03:28 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G'VegasRR View Post
How was Jake diggin the R6?
Really liked the R6, just was struggling with the Michelins. Not quite sure just yet what we plan to do as far as bike and/or tires next year. IF we switch, might have a couple of RRs for sale. Tdub

SAY WHAT!!!
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
T BOTM Winner 11 / 11

I gotcha Tdub. Let me know if you guys decide to let go of the RR's. I have a friend in the market. It would suck to see Jake on a different bike, but it's a buisness decision and Jake's career that is more important.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 07:15 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Don't get me wrong. He LOVES his RRs. But next year we plan to do the WERA Nationals and to be competitive, it will take more. For the local, regional rider the RR is the ticket...it honestly just does not have what it takes to compete at the higher levels until they upgrade it. Will keep you posted. Tdub

SAY WHAT!!!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
T BOTM Winner 11 / 11

Tdub: The kid's talent caught my eye and I will be following his progress regardless to what bike he is on. I do have a question though that with your years of experience you may be able to answer for me. Why is it that year in and year out the 600rr can win manufacturer of the year in the FIM World Supersport class, but here in the states a person can't be as competative. Rarely do you see a honda on the box in a WERA race and never do you see a Honda on the box in an AMA race. If my memory serves me correctly the Rockwall Honda guys were doing well with the Honda in the Supersport and Formula Extreme Classes and switched to the R6 and we all know how that worked out for them. JD Beach was almost unstoppable in the Supersport class. What in your eyes does the 600RR lack. Is it factory backing on the contengency side? Less contengency= Less riders which= less parts easily avaliable at desent prices which= less parts in the paddock to borrow from your fellow racer in case of a crash. Making it hard for your weekend talent to get his to remain competative due to the elevated cost in turn not getting the exposure that his talent deserves. I could be way off and some my info may be incorrect and if so I apologize and invite anyone to correct me.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 08:16 AM
World Superbike Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I will be doing my first trackday here next year. Nice footage BTW.

-Coons
RIP PHATTY
05/08/1980-10/19/2010

http://www.facebook.com/cCoons

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
T BOTM Winner 11 / 11

Thanks Coon. I is a great starter track in my mind. Not very high speed, but is very technical. I feel that if you can go fast at little Tally then you can pick up speed quickly and go fast just about everywhere.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Pocketbike Racer

i will have to say, i have always rode honda and the 600cc at that.. but honda cant compete in the wera 600 class. period.. i will say this, my next race/track bike will be anything but honda, if honda dont do something in the next couple years.. only bike still with undertail exhaust.. only bike still without a factory slipper, down on hp, they still have facotry raised clip ons, unlike EVERY other 600. many things need to be changed with the 600rrs. they thing is tho, when they make these changes, you know they will want to charge an extra 2500 for the bike... at which point, ill pay alot less, and get a faster r6.. its no secret that the yamas are the bike of choice for local/wera type stuff.. and its no wonder why......

loving my honda. but they need to step up
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 05:11 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

The 600RR is a fantastic bike for the average to plus average rider. The big downfall is Honda refuses to upgrade the bike when the YZ and Gixxer go forward by leaps and bounds. WSS is another story with the mods they allow.
The RR can and has won every WERA regional it has run this season, but next year when we go to the Nationals that is another story. ie. Jake totalled his RR racebike a few weeks ago at barber. It had no motor mods but a full system and PC. In order to run CMP this last weekend, I took a brand new '09, put on a Yosh slipon and some Vortex rearsets and clipons. Jake proceeded to lay down lap times that would have won the last WERA race there in C,B,and A SS by over a second a lap...with a STOCK RR!!!
I spoke with an Erion Crewchief last week about building some motors for next year. He told me that a $550 R6 remap would yield more HP and Tq than a $5000 SS build on the RR!
Until Honda commits like the other factories with thier 600s, it will be behind the ball at the top level of competition. For the Regionals, I would stick with the Honda as it is a great overall package for the average racer.
JMO Tdub

SAY WHAT!!!
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 09:00 PM
Pocketbike Racer

i did NOT realize that.. maybe i spoke to soon......but yes honda needs to step up
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 09:11 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

After re-reading my post I was a little vague. I should have said it won or podiumed every MC and SE regional it entered. The only bikes it lost too was an ex team bike(once) or a modded R6 (once). Got a little excited there for a minute, mainly because I really like the package...just wish you get get more out of the motor. Tdub

SAY WHAT!!!
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 10:16 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdub View Post
The 600RR is a fantastic bike for the average to plus average rider. The big downfall is Honda refuses to upgrade the bike when the YZ and Gixxer go forward by leaps and bounds. WSS is another story with the mods they allow.
The RR can and has won every WERA regional it has run this season, but next year when we go to the Nationals that is another story. ie. Jake totalled his RR racebike a few weeks ago at barber. It had no motor mods but a full system and PC. In order to run CMP this last weekend, I took a brand new '09, put on a Yosh slipon and some Vortex rearsets and clipons. Jake proceeded to lay down lap times that would have won the last WERA race there in C,B,and A SS by over a second a lap...with a STOCK RR!!!
I spoke with an Erion Crewchief last week about building some motors for next year. He told me that a $550 R6 remap would yield more HP and Tq than a $5000 SS build on the RR!
Until Honda commits like the other factories with thier 600s, it will be behind the ball at the top level of competition. For the Regionals, I would stick with the Honda as it is a great overall package for the average racer.
JMO Tdub
wow, that is indeed an eye opener, that that $550 remap apply to the 06-07 R6 or just the 08-up R6's? the 600RR's brilliant chassis & suspension let down by its motor where supposedly Honda is very good at. maybe if a lot of people complined & gave Honda a bad review about the engine they might just do something about it.

2003 CBR 600RR JDM
HRC ECU AMA spec
HRC radiator
Electrex World race alternator
WP 4618 rear shock
WP 1508 steering damper
Ohlins 9.0N fork springs
Overrev tuned fork cartridges
Akrapovic Evo Carbon FS
Dynojet PCV WB2 POD300
BMC race air filter
AFAM 15/47 sprockets
DID VX2 520 gold chain
Brembo 19RCS MC
HEL brakelines
Euro Racing riser plates & lever
HM Plus quickshifter
EVR CTS slipper clutch
BST CF wheels
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 11:46 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Jett Racing offers the ECU unleashed for the '06 and newer. Like I said, the RR is more than capable of winning a regional race with minimal mods. But with the lack of HP and slipper (can't add due to the rules) we need to make a change to compete at the next level. It is too bad as Jake absolutely loves his RRs. Tdub

SAY WHAT!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page