Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Motorcycle riding school?

I was wondering if anyone has ever taken a class at http://superbikeschool.com
If so can you explain a little bit of what goes on in a typical day and if it's worth the 450$ that they asking for very curious..

2006 CBR 600rr All BLACK- SOLD 41,000 miles...
2011 Bmw S1000rr YELLOW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
"If you really want to know about a particular school, survey half a dozen different riders who have gone and listen to what they have to say. Don’t just listen to the yip yap of one outspoken guy on some forum. Realize that the schools that have been around for a while have had thousands of students. You'll soon find out that the good reports will outweigh the bad ones, for almost any school out there."

Taken from Code himself.

And he explains what to expect during a typical day here:

http://www.superbikeschool.com/curriculum/

I've wanted to do a 2 day camp w/him for quite some time now...but he's just so damn expensive!!!

‎"Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile, can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." -JFK

----
"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

--
SuperMoto ------------------- SuperSport

Does it get any better? Probably not.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Yeaaa I'm gonna do it this season for sure I wanted to know if anyone here has taken his courses. It is dam expensive!!! lol

2011 Bmw S1000rr YELLOW

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 03:43 PM
Moto GP Racer

I can give you an endorsement for J Pridmore's STAR school. Only school I've gone to, so I don't have much to compare him to, but the dude and his staff is top notch. He'll be at NJ Motorsports park this year.

‎"Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile, can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." -JFK

----
"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

--

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 04:14 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
How long have you been riding? And have you ever done any track days? The more experience you have, the more you will get out of it.

The school's BYOB fills up fairly quickly, since they only have limited spots since they have to pay off those S1000RR's, so be mindful. Look around as a lot of people talk about it.

Typical day is as follows (which you can find online in more detail):

5 on track drills. 20 minutes each. Each drill builds upon the next, so by the end of the day, you should be able to execute all 5.
1 off track drill (level 1 was the steering drill, level 2 was the lean bike, level 3- body position on the lean bike i believe).

20 minute class.
20 minutes track.
20 minute break, repeat.

20 minutes on the track where you will follow your instructor for a lap or 2, and then he'll chase down the next rider in his group. Your instructor will only have 3 students. Afterwards, you will speak to your instructor for 5 minutes about the drill and what he saw, and how you felt you did. Then you have a 20 minute break.

It was worth it, but I would recommend doing a trackday at the track you will be taking it at if you are unfamiliar with it because you will spend part of the morning learning the track while also learning the drill. Each school has it's +/-'s. I know CSS doesn't teach trail braking, while others like the Yamaha school do.

Let us know what you decide.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 04:19 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I took a course from him where he and his team went to Camp Pendleton, CA and gave the instruction for free! It was bad ass and well worth the time. I would have paid for it and it definitely improved my riding and confidence. I've also taken the Total Control course (Lee Parks) and have to say that it is awesome as well. Any training that you can get is worth the price. Just make sure that you continue to practice the skills you learn. Otherwise, they deteriorate.

Dougie >< Me
Phatty (2010)
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Been riding since 06, never done track days but i have had a lot of road experience. I like what you said that my instructor will only have 3 students!!! thats great I like that 1 on 1 talk. Thanks for the info!! I will update yah on what I do for sure..

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry-nyc View Post
How long have you been riding? And have you ever done any track days? The more experience you have, the more you will get out of it.

The school's BYOB fills up fairly quickly, since they only have limited spots since they have to pay off those S1000RR's, so be mindful. Look around as a lot of people talk about it.

Typical day is as follows (which you can find online in more detail):

5 on track drills. 20 minutes each. Each drill builds upon the next, so by the end of the day, you should be able to execute all 5.
1 off track drill (level 1 was the steering drill, level 2 was the lean bike, level 3- body position on the lean bike i believe).

20 minute class.
20 minutes track.
20 minute break, repeat.

20 minutes on the track where you will follow your instructor for a lap or 2, and then he'll chase down the next rider in his group. Your instructor will only have 3 students. Afterwards, you will speak to your instructor for 5 minutes about the drill and what he saw, and how you felt you did. Then you have a 20 minute break.

It was worth it, but I would recommend doing a trackday at the track you will be taking it at if you are unfamiliar with it because you will spend part of the morning learning the track while also learning the drill. Each school has it's +/-'s. I know CSS doesn't teach trail braking, while others like the Yamaha school do.

2011 Bmw S1000rr YELLOW
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 05:13 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry-nyc View Post

I mentioned this before, but I haven't done Code's school.

Having said that, I took a school at a course that I had never been to before last December. I purposely did it that way, so I didn't bring any of my prejudices or bad habits with me. I knew I was bringing in plenty of those just w/the way that I was riding. I think that not having to re-learn a track, but going in with a fresh slate helped me quite a bit.

----

--

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 11:22 PM
Moto GP Racer

If you've never done a trackday, I recommend you do that first! And I would say several! This will help you get the most out of a race school.

Jumy my $0.02

"at 8k i often get the tire to slip a bit(kinda like stoner in motogp) when i start to get on the throttle"
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 07:29 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Gonna try and get in the Code shool this year or Schwantz. Either way it will probably be at Barber.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner1000RR View Post
If you've never done a trackday, I recommend you do that first! And I would say several! This will help you get the most out of a race school.

Jumy my $0.02
hmm I think I might take that advise. Thanks.

2011 Bmw S1000rr YELLOW
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I've done a bunch of schools. Code was the best, but also the priciest. The best bang for the buck was from a guy named Ed Bargy. He teaches in various places around the Southeast. the Penguin School is good too. It's a little disorganized though.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 06:09 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
I've done a bunch of schools. Code was the best, but also the priciest. The best bang for the buck was from a guy named Ed Bargy. He teaches in various places around the Southeast. the Penguin School is good too. It's a little disorganized though.

What did you like about Ed Bargy?

I know he does Jennings GP a good bit.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 06:07 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner1000RR View Post

Jumy my $0.02

+1 Get a few days under your belt with a trackday org with a good beginner group (STT, TPM, NESBA). They will teach you a lot of the basics, and it will get your "track jitters" out before the school. That way, once you're in the school, you can really focus on learning.

As far as that school - I've heard nothing but spectacular reviews about it. They put customer satisfaction above everything else.

My 30 second review on race schools

Jason Pridmore's - great school for beginners and / or people that have never been on the track up to 'intermediate' levels...affordable!

Code's Great for beginners to fast 'intermediate' Again, relatively inexpensive.

Yamaha Champions Riding School The absolute best school money can buy (and it takes a lot of money!) You're really paying for Nick lenatsch's time. He's a former Freddie Spencer instructor - and the best there is. IMO, this school isn't worth it until you're an advanced rider / racer. But once you reach that level - this is the place to go!

There are a ton more out there - but these are the three that I have experience with.

You by no means have to go to a school to learn how to ride fast. If you go to a CR (control rider) based track day - most of those guys have done all these schools, and are happy to share their knowledge! They are there to help you ride safer and faster! You have to ask questions to get the most out of them.

I'm a little biased towards NESBA, but I'm a CR for them out here in the midwest...although most track day orgs are great places to learn.

Good luck this spring!

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Nice bro thanks for the reviews!!

2011 Bmw S1000rr YELLOW
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 06:29 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfolkerts View Post
I'm a little biased towards NESBA, but I'm a CR for them out here in the midwest...although most track day orgs are great places to learn.

Won't hold that against you..lol.. As I'm a NESBA Midwest member and have learned a great deal from you guys......especially after I was shown "The Dance". Much faster and relaxed after that..lol
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 09:29 PM
Knee Dragger

Can't wait to ride with Nesba, heard great things about them, especially the CR riders. I'm doing Code 1 and 2 in may at NJMP.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 09:51 PM
Moto GP Racer

lots of good info here!!!

dont do like me, and steal your wifes F4i, sign up. crash..repair.. finish the weekend, get your race license, (street for 10+years.. 0 track time).. then decide your gonna go and buy a 600rr and race the bitch LoL.

its a riot, but i do wish i would have done some track days first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcore View Post
Duct tape is like the Force, it has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe lmao

Last edited by crash277; 02-16-2011 at 09:51 PM. Reason: my spelling SUX
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 09:43 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post

Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page