New track fairings! Now headlight question... - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New track fairings! Now headlight question...

Just got my Optimal fairings in the mail today!!!! Going to check the fit and all that this week on them, but I have a quick question. With my F4i, when I took that to the track I messed around with trying to run it without the headlight assembly. I had considered using a crashed OEM nose cowl and fiberglassing over headlight cut-outs to make a home-grown track day nose cowl. Problem was, having the headlight bit unplugged kept the bike from starting (as far as I could figure anyway, never could figure it out).

Now that I have an RR, I havent tried unplugging the headlight assy to check and see if the bike will fire up. How do you guys go about this (or getting around it) when you have the track nose on there, since it doesnt have the holes for headlights? Probably a silly question with an easy answer, but I just dont have experience in this field so I figured I'd ask the masses. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 11:38 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_wave View Post
Just got my Optimal fairings in the mail today!!!! Going to check the fit and all that this week on them, but I have a quick question. With my F4i, when I took that to the track I messed around with trying to run it without the headlight assembly. I had considered using a crashed OEM nose cowl and fiberglassing over headlight cut-outs to make a home-grown track day nose cowl. Problem was, having the headlight bit unplugged kept the bike from starting (as far as I could figure anyway, never could figure it out).

Now that I have an RR, I havent tried unplugging the headlight assy to check and see if the bike will fire up. How do you guys go about this (or getting around it) when you have the track nose on there, since it doesnt have the holes for headlights? Probably a silly question with an easy answer, but I just dont have experience in this field so I figured I'd ask the masses. Thanks!
i tried this once when i first bought my bike in 08 and i didnt figure it out i just taped lights..pretty sure someone fugured it out ....

you can't buy happiness but having a racebike is close enough!!!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
The headlights need to be removed.

However, there is a sensor..with a black plug on the 2007 I believe it is towards the front above the headlights (standing in front of the bike, looking towards the tail end) that needs to stay plugged in. That is the tip over sensor....I think.

At any rate, if that is NOT plugged in, your bike will definitely not start. Learned this the hard way at a trackday. I went so far as to unplug my power commander, my alarm (which I've since kept disconnected) before somebody asked me "Are you sure it isn't your tip over sensor?"

That led to a bewildered look from me, followed by the dude plugging something in and stating, "Try it now."

‎"Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile, can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." -JFK

----
"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

--
SuperMoto ------------------- SuperSport

Does it get any better? Probably not.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 08:39 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
you just need to ground out the tip over sensor. get a wiring diagram and splice a wire in teh harness and put a jumper wire to a good ground on the frame. very easy. did it on my F4i when i had it on the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcore View Post
Duct tape is like the Force, it has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe lmao
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 08:39 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandurin View Post

However, there is a sensor..with a black plug on the 2007 I believe it is towards the front above the headlights (standing in front of the bike, looking towards the tail end) that needs to stay plugged in. That is the tip over sensor....I think.

At any rate, if that is NOT plugged in, your bike will definitely not start. Learned this the hard way at a trackday. I went so far as to unplug my power commander, my alarm (which I've since kept disconnected) before somebody asked me "Are you sure it isn't your tip over sensor?"

That led to a bewildered look from me, followed by the dude plugging something in and stating, "Try it now."
Just looked.

Assuming I'm thinking about the correct plug, it is a 3 wire connector. Wires are Green, Yellow/White and Blue/Red.

I'd try it myself to confirm, but I'd have to take my plastics off and/or unzip tie a bunch of crap, take my battery off of the tender, etc.

That...and my wife is about to come home in about 15 minutes. If she saw me working on the bike, she'd be kind of irate.

‎"Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile, can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." -JFK

----
"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

--
SuperMoto ------------------- SuperSport

Does it get any better? Probably not.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 08:46 PM
BOTM Winner 07/12

Garage
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Your bike will start and run without the headlights connected

08'RR
Akra Evo TI - Bazzaz ZfiTc - Acumen Gear Indicator - Yoyo Stay - Keyless Mod - Michelin Power Cup - HRC overflow - ECUnleashed
Yoyo Slipper - Galfer Lines - HRC Rear Res - HRC Throttle - Woodcraft Sliders - Woodcraft Rearsets - Servo Mod - Samco Hoses
BMC - Hotbodies - Brembo RCS19 - Penske 8987 & 20mm Valving - ASV Levers - Rk 520 - GPR Damper - EBC XC Rotors
Woodcraft Clipons - Gilles Chain Adjuster - R&R Subframe - PAIR Mod - Cox Rad Guard - MOYT 4 cell - Factory Pro Shift Star
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03WisconsinRR View Post
Your bike will start and run without the headlights connected
your headlights are not a start permissive. I have them removed and unplugged from the oem connector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
Flip Diver's gotta be a bot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatstud View Post
flip posts bewbies everywhere!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacksoncbr600 View Post
No flipdiver posts newbies everywhere.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 02:44 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandurin View Post

yep, like he said- headlights can go out, just make sure your BAS, lean/balance angle sensor is plugged in. its a square black plug above your headlights

AKoz
2007 CBR 600RR
NESBA #013
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 10:33 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_wave View Post

there's a bank angle sensor where the headlight is, you jus need to take it out and mount it somewhere, make sure its secure and pointing in the right direction. or it won't start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash277 View Post
you just need to ground out the tip over sensor. get a wiring diagram and splice a wire in teh harness and put a jumper wire to a good ground on the frame. very easy. did it on my F4i when i had it on the track.
I wouldn't do that for track days, the bike will not turn itself off in an event of a crash.

I am Chris
2009 Honda CBR600RR
CCS #520
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 12:16 AM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by EP3hatch03 View Post
I wouldn't do that for track days, the bike will not turn itself off in an event of a crash.
How do you have it mounted in the track fairings?

donate https://secure.echoalley.com/actionfund-lenz/

RIP Phatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepPravacion View Post
helmet mohawks are kinda like those BS vents people add to their fenders...
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Make sure you mount the BAS facing the right direction. i replaced my headlight assembly after a wreck and accidentally installed it upside down when moving everything over to the new headlight assembly, and it took me a while to figure out why my bike wouldn't start
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim8 View Post

thats what i was gonna ask. didnt have one on my 600rr, and the 600F4i had no place to mount it after i removed teh headlights and fiberglassed the hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcore View Post
Duct tape is like the Force, it has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe lmao
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 03:58 AM
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*

Thanked 1,191 Times in 901 Posts
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
My moto holders fairing stay comes with a mount for the BAS. So do yoyodyne stays too.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 10:23 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
on my 06 i jus made a small mount n tie it to the stay, I haven't look into the 09 yet.

I am Chris
2009 Honda CBR600RR
CCS #520
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 11:56 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim8 View Post
Aftermarket Faring stay allows you to mount it. Seen some guys mount it around the radiator. As long as the orientation stays the same your will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
Flip Diver's gotta be a bot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatstud View Post
flip posts bewbies everywhere!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacksoncbr600 View Post
No flipdiver posts newbies everywhere.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 12:37 PM
BOTM Winner 07/12

Garage
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
I had my BAS sensor mounted in the stock stay with my race fairings. If you have a 07-10? you should be able to do the same thing

08'RR
Akra Evo TI - Bazzaz ZfiTc - Acumen Gear Indicator - Yoyo Stay - Keyless Mod - Michelin Power Cup - HRC overflow - ECUnleashed
Yoyo Slipper - Galfer Lines - HRC Rear Res - HRC Throttle - Woodcraft Sliders - Woodcraft Rearsets - Servo Mod - Samco Hoses
BMC - Hotbodies - Brembo RCS19 - Penske 8987 & 20mm Valving - ASV Levers - Rk 520 - GPR Damper - EBC XC Rotors
Woodcraft Clipons - Gilles Chain Adjuster - R&R Subframe - PAIR Mod - Cox Rad Guard - MOYT 4 cell - Factory Pro Shift Star
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page