so first trackday - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
so first trackday

i am from Stamford,CT the only tracks near (4 hour drive each)
is jersey motorsport and new hampshire speed way

what organization did you guys use??

prices? i see them go for around 200+ anything cheaper than that??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 11:05 PM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have never been to NH but NJMP is a beautiful facility, two tracks on one piece of property.

I usually ride with TPM and their full throttle membership is 300 and it brings the price of trackdays down to 100 or so a piece for weekends. I also ride with Absolute, but i usually dont sign up with them cause its not worth it for only doing a few days with them. Absolutes non-member prices are a little better than TPMs.

But TPM allows you to sign up for your first day as a guest for $150ish (IIRC) and that includes the ART1 class which is excellent if its gonna be your first track day. They also rent all the gear except helmets.

So i would say check out TeamProMotion and Absolute Cycle. Two great orgs.

Street: 2009 CBR600RR Metallic black Track: 2007 GSXR 600 black/white/blue
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 11:10 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Damn, you guys get raped to ride the track.
I pay an average of about $120 per day with RideSmart here in Texas, that's with a 20% discount.
I can always corner-work for TD credits as well.
I didn't realize how good we have it here

2008 CBR 600RR #1 (Graffiti) street
2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
Unfortunately bikes fall over. It's in their nature.
It's our job to keep them upright, but we are only men.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4milecrazy View Post
I have never been to NH but NJMP is a beautiful facility, two tracks on one piece of property.

I usually ride with TPM and their full throttle membership is 300 and it brings the price of trackdays down to 100 or so a piece for weekends. I also ride with Absolute, but i usually dont sign up with them cause its not worth it for only doing a few days with them. Absolutes non-member prices are a little better than TPMs.

But TPM allows you to sign up for your first day as a guest for $150ish (IIRC) and that includes the ART1 class which is excellent if its gonna be your first track day. They also rent all the gear except helmets.

So i would say check out TeamProMotion and Absolute Cycle. Two great orgs.

thanks for the info i know of teampromotion i heard good things about them i also heard tonytrackdays was good, but looking around in "price" range absoloute cycle seems to be the best one.

Quote:
I pay an average of about $120 per day with RideSmart here in Texas, that's with a 20% discount.
not only are do we get raped but we only have like 7 months of track lol

i also hear that NJ is a better track than NH, but the commute to NJ is really annoying! and its like 50 dollars just in tolls!!!

anyone else ???

Last edited by colombian; 02-17-2011 at 09:29 AM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 01:02 AM
Knee Dragger

anyone else ???[/QUOTE]

I will give a HUGE endorsement for TPM, really a great group of guys (and girls). I did my first track day with them last year, and they make you feel right at home. Very safety oriented, and the ART Basic class is required for your first day, and highly recommended anyway. I actually sat in on it 2 other times after my first day as there is so much good info there.

Absolute is good group too, I prefer TPM, but Absolute is excellent as well. They also have a first time rider class that is excellent as well.

You might try Roger Lyle too. Not as big of an organization, but the staff there are especially nice (southern hospitality nice). A little disorganized compared to the other two, but nothing serious.

As for tracks. I haven't rode Loudon yet, but I can tell you NJMP is an incredible track (thunderbolt). I wouldn't do your first day at NJMP Lightning, it is extremely fast the whole way. Thunderbolt has everything, a nice straightaway, chicane, sweepers, decreasing radius, blind corner, you name it, that track has it.

You can also ride share, to cut down on costs. Tolls aren't $50, but they are there, for you it would be Tappan zee coming back, and a straight shot down the garden state (1.00 every so often).

Good luck, see you out there!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 01:06 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Yeah dude, everything up here is probably triple what it is in Texas, gas, food, track days, taxes, we don't even get the courtesy of a reach-around. Even with the full throttle membership, it's 150 on the weekends, but less on weekdays (75-125). It's $215 if you are a guest. But in all fairness, NJMP is a really nice facility, but yeah, it's an expensive hobby.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 01:14 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
on TPM

very organized and CR does a great job.

they notice me sangbagging in I group and i got a meatball flag for stuffing my friend

I am Chris
2009 Honda CBR600RR
CCS #520
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 01:24 PM
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*

Thanked 1,191 Times in 901 Posts
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Bahahaha, the meatball flag!

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 09:33 PM
Knee Dragger

I stick with NESBA and both the rain/mechanical insurance has come in handy of not wasting my money more than once.

A lot of 1 to 1 coaching from the CRs as well.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 09:40 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:

How much 1-on-1 time do you get from the CRs?

Do they place individuals in the right groups or is it a (you place yourself) type deal?

Any problems with theft at the tracks? I've heard bad things on this matter down there. Never had or heard of any problems with NESBA. This includes leaving my stuff out overnight and not coming back until the next morning.

How good is there Tech or do they just kick the tires and let you on the track?

How organized are they?

I ask these questions because I should be moved down there by the end of summer.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 09:42 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Not sure about your local track but prices here tend to range from 120 (Willow Springs) to 250 (Fontana/Laguna Seca) usually based on the overall quality of the track and facilities. His Trackday might be 200 but the facilities and track might be nicer too. More often than not, I don't give a **** about all that though. I just want to show up, put up a tent, pull my cooler out and do my thing. Sometimes it's nice to be at a track where you don't have to piss in a portapotty though in the middle of Bumblefuck Nowhere.

But like you say, we have it good (here in CA). lol... I can't imagine being a rider living somewhere else. We have awesome mountain roads and tracks out the ass to choose from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XBrY9Xukrc

^^CBR600RR Trackday Videos - Updated 4-5-11^^**

2011 Trackday Counter: 2
Next Trackday: ?????

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukcrash69 View Post
I stick with NESBA and both the rain/mechanical insurance has come in handy of not wasting my money more than once.

A lot of 1 to 1 coaching from the CRs as well.
their cheapest track day in NJ is 300 bucks for non members

absolute cycle is 150

what is that 150 dollar difference??????

anyone done a track day with both in NJ ???

really looking to reserve my first track day by this month or so
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 10:21 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by colombian View Post
their cheapest track day in NJ is 300 bucks for non members

absolute cycle is 150

what is that 150 dollar difference??????

anyone done a track day with both in NJ ???

really looking to reserve my first track day by this month or so

Don't know if you looked at this or not.

http://www.nesba.com/Info/Member.htm

You might just want to take advantage of the freebie half day and go from there. Shoot'em an email and ask if you did the half day and then joined; how much would the rest of that day actually cost you.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 10:30 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

I've ridden in both NJMP (with TPM) and Loudon (with Tony's Track Days).

NJMP - Thunderbolt is real nice, good pavement, good challenge. Only two left turns however. I haven't ridden Lightning.

Loudon - The pavement isn't as great, very bumpy, very technical. Also, a little more dangerous as there isn't a lot of run-off room.

TPM - Cost of $300 for Full Throttle membership brings the following prices: $150 for Fridays, Saturday & Sunday. $125 for Mondays. $75 for Tuesday - Thursday.

TTD - Cost $500 for Membership and it looks like all dates are $125.

Both organizations are really good. I know Tony rides with TPM once and a while. I like TTD because they do a track walk the night before. It helps you learn turn points, etc. so you are familiar your first day.

TPM used to go to Monticello. Best track out there, too bad you now need to have a membership to ride on the track.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 01:03 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry-nyc View Post
I've ridden in both NJMP (with TPM) and Loudon (with Tony's Track Days).

NJMP - Thunderbolt is real nice, good pavement, good challenge. Only two left turns however. I haven't ridden Lightning.

Loudon - The pavement isn't as great, very bumpy, very technical. Also, a little more dangerous as there isn't a lot of run-off room.

TPM - Cost of $300 for Full Throttle membership brings the following prices: $150 for Fridays, Saturday & Sunday. $125 for Mondays. $75 for Tuesday - Thursday.

TTD - Cost $500 for Membership and it looks like all dates are $125.

Both organizations are really good. I know Tony rides with TPM once and a while. I like TTD because they do a track walk the night before. It helps you learn turn points, etc. so you are familiar your first day.

TPM used to go to Monticello. Best track out there, too bad you now need to have a membership to ride on the track.
Good Summary Harry.

I believe TPM has a first track day special where you get the ART (Advanced Rider Training) Level 1 class for free, as well as leathers, etc, and a discounted track day. I did my first track day with them, and I am now full throttle and looking at 20 days this year, so that should tell you something.

I don't think you can go wrong with TPM, TTD, Absolute, or Nesba, all very safety oriented and great coaches. If you are tight on funds, go ahead with Absolute or TPM, I believe price is the same. You can only take in so much information on your first day anyway, and you will be slow to start. Don't worry about it, everybody has been there and no one cares how fast or slow you are, its all good.

In fact, if you think you are faster than you actually are, you are dangerous to yourself and me, so just take it easy and learn, and only go as fast as you are comfortable. Just have fun, and after a few more track days under your belt, you will pick it up very quickly. The track will always be there (unless it is Monticello )
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmarc View Post
Good Summary Harry.

I believe TPM has a first track day special where you get the ART (Advanced Rider Training) Level 1 class for free, as well as leathers, etc, and a discounted track day. I did my first track day with them, and I am now full throttle and looking at 20 days this year, so that should tell you something.

I don't think you can go wrong with TPM, TTD, Absolute, or Nesba, all very safety oriented and great coaches. If you are tight on funds, go ahead with Absolute or TPM, I believe price is the same. You can only take in so much information on your first day anyway, and you will be slow to start. Don't worry about it, everybody has been there and no one cares how fast or slow you are, its all good.

In fact, if you think you are faster than you actually are, you are dangerous to yourself and me, so just take it easy and learn, and only go as fast as you are comfortable. Just have fun, and after a few more track days under your belt, you will pick it up very quickly. The track will always be there (unless it is Monticello )
If I remember correctly your first non memebrship day is 125 and the ART1 class will be included with that price, gear rental (lat year) was $80, which includes all but a helmet.

If you plan on doing 20 or more days, especially weekends then the $3000 dollar memebership deal pays for itself. I would suggest planning out the pricing for all the days you might be attending and compre it to the $3000 dollar membership.

And about the ART1
Bill is an awesome teacher, but you will only get out of the class what you put into it. I was not afraid to ask questions and discuss things with him and i feel that i got a lot more out of it than the others that attended the class that day, even though im sure someone had to have benefitted from all my questions and discussions.

Never worry about being fast, being smooth and doing things properly will make you fast. once you worry about being fast is when you will end up on your back.

And most important!!! LEAVE YOUR EGO AT HOME!!! you will not need it at the track, at least not until you get into the advanced group

Street: 2009 CBR600RR Metallic black Track: 2007 GSXR 600 black/white/blue
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 02:42 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukcrash69 View Post
How much 1-on-1 time do you get from the CRs?

Do they place individuals in the right groups or is it a (you place yourself) type deal?

Any problems with theft at the tracks? I've heard bad things on this matter down there. Never had or heard of any problems with NESBA. This includes leaving my stuff out overnight and not coming back until the next morning.

How good is there Tech or do they just kick the tires and let you on the track?

How organized are they?

I ask these questions because I should be moved down there by the end of summer.
Depends on the class size and how many students are needing one-on-one. The instructors are very outgoing and I would say that everyone that wants one-on-one gets it.

You can place yourself, but you better have your stuff together or you'll get bumped.

I've never heard of anyone getting property stolen. To the contrary, actually. A guy left his generator behind and it was secured for him last Monday. I have left stuff overnight at many events and never had a problem.

Most of the TD riders are regulars, and those that aren't are brought to the track by the regulars. It's a pretty close knit community, and everyone either knows one another or has mutual friends.

Tech is tech. Tape ,brakes, kill-switch, throttle, etc. Helmet check too.
People are aware of the rules before showing up so tech is relatively painless for most.

The organization is pretty good considering what happens on the track is unpredictable. Sessions are broken down in 20 min increments, PA system calls at 10,7,5,2 min til grid. Lunch calls, and any other pertinient info.
My girlfriend is one of the regular Track Marshals at their events, and she runs a tight ship.
No tires getting cold on the grid when she's on point
Corner workers in good communication, ambulance on site, etc...

There are a couple other organizations, but RideSmart is my preferred.
We also have Lone-Stars TDs, ELite TDs(at one track only.) Groove Union (one track only,) Longhorn Motorcycle School (Mainly racers, advanced riders-one track only) maybe one or two others I can't think of.

Feel free to hit me up when you move down to Texas, and I'll point you in the right direction. I will be at almost every RideSmart event this year.

2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599

Quote:

Last edited by MikeyP; 02-19-2011 at 02:55 PM.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 03:58 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4milecrazy View Post
If I remember correctly your first non memebrship day is 125 and the ART1 class will be included with that price, gear rental (lat year) was $80, which includes all but a helmet.

If you plan on doing 20 or more days, especially weekends then the $3000 dollar memebership deal pays for itself. I would suggest planning out the pricing for all the days you might be attending and compre it to the $3000 dollar membership.

And about the ART1
Bill is an awesome teacher, but you will only get out of the class what you put into it. I was not afraid to ask questions and discuss things with him and i feel that i got a lot more out of it than the others that attended the class that day, even though im sure someone had to have benefitted from all my questions and discussions.

Never worry about being fast, being smooth and doing things properly will make you fast. once you worry about being fast is when you will end up on your back.

And most important!!! LEAVE YOUR EGO AT HOME!!! you will not need it at the track, at least not until you get into the advanced group

on Billy, real cool guy and makes you feel very welcome. +1000 on leave your ego at home, no room for it on the track.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 04:29 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I am a member of Absolute Cycle. They have different membership levels and each level has its perk. I have ridden with TPM and NESBA, but not a member. Maybe I am a little biased but I just love the atmosphere and vibe with absolute. In my experience there was more comradery than anything. Everyone was awesome with each other and there really wasn't any ego. Rider coaches are friendly and informative. I didn't get the same vibe from TPM and NESBA ( im not bashing, they were good to but I just didn't get the same feeling). NESBA is by far the faster club even in their group 1. TPM is comparable to absolute. You can take this however you like but one thing that absolute does to keep the traffic down they will have 4groups instead of 3 like some clubs. So you get a 15 min session instead of a 20. Yes you have a few minutes less track time per/hour but would you rather have more open track or be spend 20 min trying to find some open track. Absolute limits 30 riders per group. The only downfall to Absolute is that they only do 1 track (well 2 really) NJMP. Its your pick but think of it this way, with Absolute they do 2 tracks at the same facility (Lightning and Thunderbolt), Loudon is only one track and NJMP is a much better facility too. Absolute is cheaper and depending on how many track days you are going to do your membership can pay for itself. www.absolutecycle.com happy trackdays

05CBR600RR Blk Tribal

Scotts Damper, Harris "CBR" Grips, Hotbodies Flushmounts, Micron Slipon, Vortex Sliders/Spools, Sportec Windscreen (Red), Stomp Grips(Clear), Galindo Delrin Bar Ends(Red), PCIIIusb, DIY Velocity Stacks(Short), BMC Air Filter, Tripage Evil Eyes & 3rd Eye(Red), Rim Tape(Red),
BrowningBuck MOTY Gear Indicator Mod(Red)
, HEL SS Brakelines(Red), Vesrah RJL pads

Coming Soon
Powdercoating, Shorty Pazzo Levers(Red w/Blk Adjuster)
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Depends on the class size and how many students are needing one-on-one. The instructors are very outgoing and I would say that everyone that wants one-on-one gets it.

You can place yourself, but you better have your stuff together or you'll get bumped.

I've never heard of anyone getting property stolen. To the contrary, actually. A guy left his generator behind and it was secured for him last Monday. I have left stuff overnight at many events and never had a problem.

Most of the TD riders are regulars, and those that aren't are brought to the track by the regulars. It's a pretty close knit community, and everyone either knows one another or has mutual friends.

Tech is tech. Tape ,brakes, kill-switch, throttle, etc. Helmet check too.
People are aware of the rules before showing up so tech is relatively painless for most.

The organization is pretty good considering what happens on the track is unpredictable. Sessions are broken down in 20 min increments, PA system calls at 10,7,5,2 min til grid. Lunch calls, and any other pertinient info.
My girlfriend is one of the regular Track Marshals at their events, and she runs a tight ship.
No tires getting cold on the grid when she's on point
Corner workers in good communication, ambulance on site, etc...

There are a couple other organizations, but RideSmart is my preferred.
We also have Lone-Stars TDs, ELite TDs(at one track only.) Groove Union (one track only,) Longhorn Motorcycle School (Mainly racers, advanced riders-one track only) maybe one or two others I can't think of.

Feel free to hit me up when you move down to Texas, and I'll point you in the right direction. I will be at almost every RideSmart event this year.

Thanks.

I'll be moving to the great city of Abilene.....kill me now....but only until my son graduates.

Won't be wasting any money in that place....so I'll have plenty for the tracks down there. That will be the only thing helping keep my sanity while there.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 06:32 PM
Moto GP Racer

It's gonna be about 3 hours to Eagles Canyon Raceway in Decatur, TX (near Dallas,)
and about the same to Motorsports Ranch - Cresson.(also near Dallas/Ft Worth)

I drive about the same distance to those tracks from Austin, and to the tracks in Houston.
The closest for me is Texas World Speedway, in College Station, about 2 hrs.

2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599

Quote:
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 08:33 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
It's gonna be about 3 hours to Eagles Canyon Raceway in Decatur, TX (near Dallas,)
and about the same to Motorsports Ranch - Cresson.(also near Dallas/Ft Worth)

I drive about the same distance to those tracks from Austin, and to the tracks in Houston.
The closest for me is Texas World Speedway, in College Station, about 2 hrs.

Thanks for the info.

Where I'm at here in OH, 2 are a little less, 2 are equal and the others are more than 3 hour drives.

I'll be doing some close to 12 hours or right over this year. Gonna try and hit all on the upper North East Coast, North Central (Mich. and Chig. areas) and the Southern region also. Only because when I come down there it won't be as easy for me to get to them as it is right now. I'll be stuck to TX and the connecting states if they have any tracks.

For me, I always make them a 2-3 day-in-a-row event.

That usually satisfies my need for speed for at least 3 weeks. Then I have the itch again.

Man, as this thread been hijacked or what...lol...sorry Colombian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page