questions about tire temp (and warmers) - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
questions about tire temp (and warmers)

So I'm currently running Q2's on the track bike. They are working great but I heard from someone that tire warmers can significantly increase the life as well as obviously allow you to hit the track hard your first lap. I've also heard from threads on here that if the tire is not a DOT race tire or a slick, a tire warmer will mess it up since it gets too hot for the tire. (If any of this info so far is wrong, please correct me)

What I was planing on doing was getting a set of digital tire warmers so I can warm the tires up to a lower temp. Before I pull the trigger on anything, I wanted to see what everyone has to say. Will too high of a temp really ruin a tire? and what kind of temp would be good for a Q2? or will a 170 degree tire warmer work great for any track rubber?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 01:02 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What group are you riding in? (Novice, Intermediate, or Advanced).

Novice, don't bother, tires won't get hot enough on track to matter.

Intermediate, your call

Expert, not a bad idea, but then q2's aren't ideal anyway.

I'm getting my info from one of my trackday org's on site suspension guys, Mike Fallice, as I asked the exact same question over on Team Promotion's website about 2 days ago

I am running front pack novice group, and was told not to bother with warmers on the q2's, just one more thing to have to worry about.

YMMV, cheers :)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 07:11 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Hiya Tyler,

I hope everything is going OK. In your situation I would spend that money on a day at the Ed Bargy school instead of on tire warmers. Tou don't need them on the Q2s.

I would start shopping for race tires and warmers about the time you start to dip under 1:30 at Jennings and start considering moving to expert.

I'm planning to go on April 18th. Skip school and come on out!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 07:59 AM
Knee Dragger

You don't need or want warmers for street tires. I run Q2's as well, and they get plenty warm on the track. Give them one or two laps to get up to temp and off you go.

As Jim said, I wouldn't even be concerned about it until you are lapping 1:30ish. Though supposedly you can hit mid 20's on Q2's but you want to trust your tires. Once I get to 1:30 I am switching to DOT's and warmers.

06 600RR - track
05 RC-51 - street

Last edited by TheGrabulator; 03-31-2011 at 08:02 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Ok, thanks for the responses. The lowest lap I know about is 1:34 so almost there. I'll run through another set of tires and hopefully get there.

Sorry Jim, I actually have a dynamics test that Monday. Come summer, I think I'm taking a break so hopefully I can meet you out there then. Any chance of a weekend track day through April though?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 06:38 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyleronanrr View Post
Ok, thanks for the responses. The lowest lap I know about is 1:34 so almost there. I'll run through another set of tires and hopefully get there.

Sorry Jim, I actually have a dynamics test that Monday. Come summer, I think I'm taking a break so hopefully I can meet you out there then. Any chance of a weekend track day through April though?
Eww dynamics is gross. I just started my senior level courses and I am putting that class off to the bitter end (I'm BSEE so it isn't really anything but a PITA). Are you ME? My brother is in Gainseville getting his ME.

Dude, there's another thread on here...Jennings, April 16,17,18 (https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=227363). I have a test that week, but ima bust my A$$ and make it happen. I'm trying to use Jennings as an incentive to pwn that exam...

/derail

06 600RR - track
05 RC-51 - street
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

I'm fine with dynamics. Its not as bad as everyone gives it credit for. IEM on the other hand is the worst class I've ever taken. Not sure if you have that or not. I'm doing ME. What school are you at? As far as jennings goes, I may be able to make it that saturday but sunday and monday won't happen.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 09:25 PM
Knee Dragger

I misread your post, your test is Monday the 18th. Yeah that's tough.

I'm assuming IEM is basic electronics. Probably with any major the "introduction to whatever" classes suck but when you get into the upper level classes it is so much more interesting. I go to UCF.

06 600RR - track
05 RC-51 - street

Last edited by TheGrabulator; 03-31-2011 at 09:33 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

intermediate engineering math. its the math class that comes after numerical analysis. its a high end ME math class. i almost ended up going to ucf. i applied to uf as a joke. my gpa was well under their average admissions gpa. if i was denied here, i would have been at ucf.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 01:08 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyleronanrr View Post
So I'm currently running Q2's on the track bike. They are working great but I heard from someone that tire warmers can significantly increase the life as well as obviously allow you to hit the track hard your first lap. I've also heard from threads on here that if the tire is not a DOT race tire or a slick, a tire warmer will mess it up since it gets too hot for the tire. (If any of this info so far is wrong, please correct me)

What I was planing on doing was getting a set of digital tire warmers so I can warm the tires up to a lower temp. Before I pull the trigger on anything, I wanted to see what everyone has to say. Will too high of a temp really ruin a tire? and what kind of temp would be good for a Q2? or will a 170 degree tire warmer work great for any track rubber?
This is the exact question I was about to post up.

I'm going to be entering in bracket racing soon (2 sessions for the day, 6 laps each session) and would like warmers for my Q2s as they don't allow slicks. This would allow me to go harder for the 1st 2 laps (33%) of the race.

Considering this situation, what temperature would you use (high/low) and any possible detrimental effects to the tyre?

The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred - Soichiro Honda

Last edited by atrang; 10-09-2011 at 01:18 AM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

I did 165 and it did fine. Maybe a little lower. Would probably suggest some better tires for racing though. You can find heating and pressure recommendations on dunlops site.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 11:40 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
For what it's worth...the N-techs have been a sensational DOT Race tire. Very forgiving.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 11:58 PM
Pocketbike Racer

I wouldn't bother with warmers for Q2's they don't take long at all to warm up and grip very well. I had gotten used to that and wrecked in turn 1 at VIR North this weekend when I switched to Dunlop GP-A tires. evidently race tires need more warm up. i took the turn slower than i was on my outlap with Q2's and tucked the front as soon as I turned in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page