should i do two track days the same weekend, or two a month apart? - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
should i do two track days the same weekend, or two a month apart?

ok, so i'm getting into doing track days. i did two near the end of the season last year, and did one in april, and can budget myself to do two more this summer. so my question is will i learn more from doing two track days the same weekend(VIR North, June 11th and 12th) or doing two track days about a month apart(VIR North June 11th then Full July 15th). when i did a track day in april i felt like i spent almost half the day getting back to where i was at the end of the previous track day, so i figure doing track days closer together will let me learn more.

Thanks for any held, and any advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 07:26 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i would do the 2 back to back. if your able to. by able i mean your not gonna be so exhausted after day 1 that day 2 isnt as fun. i did 3 days in a row a couple times.. its exhausting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcore View Post
Duct tape is like the Force, it has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe lmao
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 07:55 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
back to back is definitely worth it, if you can dedicate yourself to work on specific parts of the track vs. "going fast."

‎"Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile, can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." -JFK

----
"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

--
SuperMoto ------------------- SuperSport

Does it get any better? Probably not.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 08:00 PM
Knee Dragger

I had the most fun doing a sat sun in a row.I felt a lot more comfortable the second day after just being on the track the day before.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 08:06 PM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I will be doing my first back to back days this weekend, the 29th and 30th at NJMP(T-Bolt)with TPM and then my next track day will be another double header at VIR(North) 20th and 21st.

The 29th or 30th I will be going for a bump to intermediate as well.

I hope to learn a lot on both trips.

Street: 2009 CBR600RR Metallic black Track: 2007 GSXR 600 black/white/blue
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

ok, i'm gong to go for the sat and sun in a row, and maybe i can scrounge up money from somewhere to do another day in july to, lol
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 09:00 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
In theory, doing the two days back to back would be the most beneficial to you, provided that you have the stamina for two. Two days back to back take it out of you, and the last thing that you want to do is be out there on the second day and start really getting fatigued and trying to ignore that and keep pushing on. Fatigue leads to lack of concentration and well, we all know what that can lead to. You know yourself better than anyone and you are the only person that can answer that question. Secondly, and I don't mean to sound like a butthole, but if you are budgeted for only two more track days this summer and don't plan on riding any more of then this year, the whole issue is kind of a moot point because by the time you get back on the track next year, you are going to basically have to start over.

The other issue is this. going to two separate days will "spread the fun out" over a longer period of time, but you are paying for fuel to get there and back twice, instead of one time. I hope this helps in your decision and hopefully, you can get in at least one a month or one every two months. I rode ten TD's last year and was wanting more after everything was said and done. Welcome to the addiction!

Vernon
Sportbike Tracktime Instructor
Southern Division

Vern....STT Southern Region Instructor

If it ain't fast........It ain't fun!!

2014 Yamaha FZ09 highly modded
2008 GSX-R 750..... Track Bike
2008 ST1300
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 09:05 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You will learn more doing 2 days in a row. I'll be at VIR the 11th and 12th too. It's going to be a great weekend!

WERA Expert #816
2007 600RR
http://www.ridepre.com/
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

well, i guess i waited to long to sign up, satuday the 11th is already full, but i went ahead and signed up for sunday.

also, what should i focus on to improve my track riding, there's just so much to think about while riding it's hard to know what to focus on. and what can i do before a track day to prepare myself?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

yeah, i'm going to try to do as many track days as i can afford this year, they're so much fun, but are an expensive addiction and i'm still a college student, lol

can't wait till i graduate and hopefully make enough money to have a designated track bike
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 11:00 PM
Moto GP Racer

I always do back-to-back trackdays so thats what i recommend also.

You can take it easy and work on your race lines, entry speed, braking points, body position, etc on the first day. Then put all that together and up your pace a notch or 2 the next day. If you can work with a track instructor that would be superb.

Otherwise, 2 separate one-day TD's are fine if you choose that route. You can break it up into the morning and afternoon sessions, but remember that one trackday goes by too fast!

* * 600RR Ex-Track Junkie * *
Current bike - Yamaha Liquid Silver R1

- Competition Breeds Excellence -
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 10:54 AM
Knee Dragger

Another vote for two days in a row. Unless you're horribly out of shape, where the second day might find you tired and sore, the two-fer is the way to go.

CCS North East Expert #623 - 2007 CBR 600RR
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I also vote 2 days in a row. I did this once at Reno Fernley and I swear I spent the first day just learning the track. 22+ turns or something. The 2nd day I felt I could actually start concentrating on my form and technique.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 03:34 PM
Knee Dragger

ive done a few back to back TDs. i usually have so much adrenaline when on the bike nothing else matters but at the end of the day i feel it!!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by advan140 View Post
ive done a few back to back TDs. i usually have so much adrenaline when on the bike nothing else matters but at the end of the day i feel it!!
heck ya.. i remember my first ever track day. i was so exhausted that i seriously contemplated just dropping the bike in teh grass cause i couldnt seem to get my legs to move me to the back to put it on the stand HAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcore View Post
Duct tape is like the Force, it has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe lmao
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 04:20 PM
World Superbike Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I really enjoy doing two days back to back myself.

-Coons
RIP PHATTY
05/08/1980-10/19/2010

http://www.facebook.com/cCoons

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 05:50 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
In theory, doing the two days back to back would be the most beneficial to you, provided that you have the stamina for two. Two days back to back take it out of you, and the last thing that you want to do is be out there on the second day and start really getting fatigued and trying to ignore that and keep pushing on. Fatigue leads to lack of concentration and well, we all know what that can lead to. You know yourself better than anyone and you are the only person that can answer that question. Secondly, and I don't mean to sound like a butthole, but if you are budgeted for only two more track days this summer and don't plan on riding any more of then this year, the whole issue is kind of a moot point because by the time you get back on the track next year, you are going to basically have to start over.

The other issue is this. going to two separate days will "spread the fun out" over a longer period of time, but you are paying for fuel to get there and back twice, instead of one time. I hope this helps in your decision and hopefully, you can get in at least one a month or one every two months. I rode ten TD's last year and was wanting more after everything was said and done. Welcome to the addiction!

Vernon
Sportbike Tracktime Instructor
Southern Division
I also echo xrated's caution on riding two days in a row without having done a trackday before. I've done several trackdays with the guys at STT and they do a great job especially for new track riders! I can't stress that enough. Mark's speech at the rider's meeting will probably say something about your fatigue level as most crashes happen at the end of the session or at the end of the day. If I would have heeded that warning I wouldn't be a member of the turn 10 club at Jennings... Fatigue = loss of concentration = low side

I think it's for the best that you didn't get two in a row right now. Later on when you are more comfortable and you have some experience at your favorite track, sure, go for it!

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 12:43 PM
TTD
Official Sponsor

We believe in the 2-day format so much now that we only run back to back events now.

Besides the cost benefits to the rider (less gas money), the chances of getting 2days in a row of rain are pretty slim... so you're virtually guaranteed of having at least one dry day.

And finally, knowing you'll be there for 2 days might let you feel better about sitting out a session if you're tired... when others might push themselves and possibly end up crashing as a result.

Tony
Trackdays in New England
www.TonysTrackDays.com

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
2 day events will bring you the most benefit, period.

2008 CBR 600RR #1 (Graffiti) street
2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
Unfortunately bikes fall over. It's in their nature.
It's our job to keep them upright, but we are only men.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Lifetime Premium

I had a blast doing a double header this past weekend, I did two different tracks on each day, but both at the same facility. I also know both tracks pretty good. I was definitely feeling more confident and warmed up on the second day.

Street: 2009 CBR600RR Metallic black Track: 2007 GSXR 600 black/white/blue
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

yeah, i wish i could have signed up for both days, but saturday was already full so i ended up just getting signed up for sunday, i'm going to try to sign up for a track weekend next month
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 10:17 PM
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*

Thanked 1,191 Times in 901 Posts
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
CTM_Patron would do 2 two track days in a day!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page