Going track-only! - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Going track-only!

Ok, so I'm converting my '07 CBR to be track only. I ordered a set of bodywork (Armour Bodies) and I'm taking off the stock fairings in preparation.

What all needs to come out at the front? For one, I won't need headlights anymore... but someone said that the bike won't start without them? Any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 10:38 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Who did you purchase your Armour Bodies through?
Yes, the bike will still work without headlights. Remove them, turn signals, 3rd eye. Taillight/brakelight/turnsignals. Ziptie all your loose wires up nice and purdy. Probably a good idea to flush your coolant and replace with water-wetter or equivalent. I recommend buying some sort of left and right case cover crash kit like GB, R&G, etc. It will save you a lot of grief., especially on the clutch side if you go down.

2008 CBR 600RR #1 (Graffiti) street
2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
Unfortunately bikes fall over. It's in their nature.
It's our job to keep them upright, but we are only men.

Last edited by MikeyP; 05-29-2011 at 10:45 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeyP For This Useful Post:
ninja rr (05-29-2011)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Thanks!

I got it through STG (sportbiketrackgear.com).

Ok, I've disconnected the headlights and it's still happy. I swear someone told me this bike gets cranky about starting without headlights... could have been about the headlight fuse though, not the lights themselves. 3rd eye is gone now, turn signals and tail light too, and everything seems OK. I'm definitely doing the water wetter flush.

Actually I bought this bike specifically to turn it into my track bike, the guy who had it before already had a right-side engine cover (Woodcraft). So I'm keeping that as-is, might add one on the left...

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 11:57 PM
Training Wheel Hero

what are you doing with your old fairings? :)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 01:21 PM
BDT
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You might want to upgrade to stainless steel braided brake lines. Other than that, not much else to do other than crash protection.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Yeah, steel lines were already done, so that's good...

How about weather protection? A lot of the wiring was protected by the plastic fairings and it seems like it'll be more exposed now. What have you guys done for that?

@RRubberSideDown: I'll be cleaning/selling the old fairings... I don't have the post count on here to post them in the classified sections though, so they'll prob go up on ebay.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 04:28 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
i would think about maybe chain/gearing change and why all your plastics are done safety wire EVERYTHING you can a good list to go off of is the wera list because it is very extensive and no one should give you problems with it. and where in SE MI are you at? im in dundee, just south of A2

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-NA6CE View Post
Women are mental terrorists. They bleed for almost a week and don't die. Of course they're crazy. Seriously. End of discussion.
R.I.P PHATSTUD

officially addicted to track
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by repsol600 View Post
.....safety wire EVERYTHING you can a good list to go off of is the wera list because it is very extensive and no one should give you problems with it. and where in SE MI are you at? im in dundee, just south of A2
Hey, good idea on the wera list, I'll look it up. I'm in Royal Oak - I think I rode through Dundee once...

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi View Post
Yeah, steel lines were already done, so that's good...

How about weather protection? A lot of the wiring was protected by the plastic fairings and it seems like it'll be more exposed now. What have you guys done for that?

@RRubberSideDown: I'll be cleaning/selling the old fairings... I don't have the post count on here to post them in the classified sections though, so they'll prob go up on ebay.
I've just zip tied various wires together where it seems most appropriate and covered up the open ends with electrical tape.

I've been tempted to start ripping stuff out, but if I should ever decide to sell her, I'd be putting her back in street trim so, I haven't.

And the crankiness you're heard about, is if you don't plug the tilt sensor back in, which is near the left (if you're sitting on the bike) headlight.

‎"Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile, can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." -JFK

----
"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

--
SuperMoto ------------------- SuperSport

Does it get any better? Probably not.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 01:39 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi View Post
Hey, good idea on the wera list, I'll look it up. I'm in Royal Oak - I think I rode through Dundee once...
ah right on, i was up there for a concert a couple months back, nice town unlike dundee aka cabelaville you ever in the A2 area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-NA6CE View Post
Women are mental terrorists. They bleed for almost a week and don't die. Of course they're crazy. Seriously. End of discussion.
R.I.P PHATSTUD

officially addicted to track
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 02:06 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
any chance you'd sell me your lights? would like to do some projectors but too chicken to do them without backups.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If you just bought the bike, change the oil and filter. You're going to be working that engine a whole lot more than it's probably used to...show it some love right out of the gate ;)

CCS North East Expert #623 - 2007 CBR 600RR
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightshade View Post
I've just zip tied various wires together where it seems most appropriate and covered up the open ends with electrical tape.
[...]
And the crankiness you're heard about, is if you don't plug the tilt sensor back in, which is near the left (if you're sitting on the bike) headlight.
Ah Ha! Yeah, that would explain it. I've read a few threads and found the tilt sensor and its connector - I won't bother it. I can see how it might get accidentally yanked though.

And I guess electrical tape is probably the most water-tight tape I can think of... Duct tape would be a mess.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by repsol600 View Post
ah right on, i was up there for a concert a couple months back, nice town unlike dundee aka cabelaville you ever in the A2 area?
I ride out by Pinckney/Stockbridge once in a while, nice roads out that way... Yeah, I like RO, great place to live!

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

...oh, and to anyone who is looking to buy my various parts (I'm looking at you, C17_Guy...), they're pretty strict around here about the 100-post rule, even for PM's. Looks like instant perma-ban. Guess I'll have to get busy posting!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page