what lap timer, and other track item suggestions? will be track only bike eventually - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
what lap timer, and other track item suggestions? will be track only bike eventually

Hey,

I did a track day last year in october I think, and haven't done one since...no time :( but when I get back to the states in august, I'm going to be trying to hit them up a lot, if I can twice a month, plus a fletc course day ^_^ (which is like a mini track day but free for DOD members here). And if i get good enough, I may start racing.

So, I'm looking for a lap timer and have no idea where to start. Only one I know of is the XT Ultra, but am wondering if it is any good or if there are better options out there. Or even just what my options are?

I will also be ordering some track fairings w/ zeus fasteners, as for now it will still be my street bike as well.

Track fairings I'm looking into are Optimal Racing superbike version, as i haven't heard anything bad about them but if I can find a good deal on Armour bodies, i probably wouldn't pass it up.

It being my street bike I already own a second set of wheels and tires. But I'm sure my Dunlop q2's will see the end of their track life soon, if i get to them as often as I'd like to. So my next set of tires will be some 211's. With that I am sure I should get tire warmers. I read a lot of people praise on Chicken Hawk warmers but why are they soo good and worth the premium?

Will upgrade suspension eventually but that will just depend on how the track days go and when I feel i need to. Will try to keep the bike stock as long as I can, although getting an exhaust is temping...while I know gains are limited dependent on actual engine mods, I just can't stand how quiet the stock exhaust is...I love the race sound of the Leo Vince's. But I will not be wanting a slip on, if I get an exhaust I'll do it right the first time and get a full exhaust with the corresponding fuel mapping system. I don't like buying something if I'm just going to upgrade it later. But that's later down the road as well.

My brakes are also due to be refreshed, any suggestions there?

Also bike is at about 13,000 miles now any suggestions on preventative maintenance for heavy track use?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Justin

Last edited by DivineStrike; 06-11-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 08:49 PM
BOTM Winner 07/12

Garage
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineStrike View Post
So, I'm looking for a lap timer and have no idea where to start. Only one I know of is the XT Ultra, but am wondering if it is any good or if there are better options out there. Or even just what my options are?
Xt's are good timers. Starlane, Aim, HM are a few more. Depending on how much you want to spend you can upgrade to a GPS timer with track mapping.
Quote:
Track fairings I'm looking into are Optimal Racing superbike version, as i haven't heard anything bad about them but if I can find a good deal on Armour bodies, i probably wouldn't pass it up.
A friend of mine got Optimal. He didnt like them, said the fit wasnt that great.
Quote:
It being my street bike I already own a second set of wheels and tires. But I'm sure my Dunlop q2's will see the end of their track life soon, if i get to them as often as I'd like to. So my next set of tires will be some 211's. With that I am sure I should get tire warmers. I read a lot of people praise on Chicken Hawk warmers but why are they soo good and worth the premium?
They do have features that cheap ones dont have, but I still think your paying for a name. Woodcraft are just as good IMO and depending on how serious you are ebay brands should work as well.

Quote:
Pads are personal preference. I use Ferodo, others really like Vesrah.

Quote:
Also bike is at about 13,000 miles now any suggestions on preventative maintenance for heavy track use?
I would wire everything you can. I've seen tons of people fall down when they lose something. Change to water/wetter or engine ice.

08'RR
Akra Evo TI - Bazzaz ZfiTc - Acumen Gear Indicator - Yoyo Stay - Keyless Mod - Michelin Power Cup - HRC overflow - ECUnleashed
Yoyo Slipper - Galfer Lines - HRC Rear Res - HRC Throttle - Woodcraft Sliders - Woodcraft Rearsets - Servo Mod - Samco Hoses
BMC - Hotbodies - Brembo RCS19 - Penske 8987 & 20mm Valving - ASV Levers - Rk 520 - GPR Damper - EBC XC Rotors
Woodcraft Clipons - Gilles Chain Adjuster - R&R Subframe - PAIR Mod - Cox Rad Guard - MOYT 4 cell - Factory Pro Shift Star
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
My oPtimals fit and crashed great. Best bang for the buck IMO

I am from CANADA, the land of poutine, back-bacon and GOOD BEER!!
2012 STREET BIKE OF THE YEAR

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 09:38 PM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I would stick with Q2s for a while, they are plenty of tire for all the way up to mid-pack intermediate. Thats where I am and the tires I use. If your pace is not fast enough, you will not be able to keep enough heat in the 211s, also the Q2s do not require warmers, so you would be able to afford more track days and other stuff.

I got a set of Optimal Racing fairings (for my GSXR) and they fit great, they are not drilled so they fit only as good as you make them fit. The only part that doesnt "fit" is around the bottom of the windscreen it does not follow the factory line, but I could care less about that.

I upgraded to Vesrah brake pads and I LOVE them, excellent feel and not a chance of fade from the pads.

Cant help much with laptimers, I do not run one as of right now. For track days chasing lap times could end your day short. ride your ride. If you want to track your progress I would suggest putting the lap timer somewhere you can not see it so you can only see your lap times after you get off track. That way you ensure you are not chasing seconds and get in over your head.

With the exception of safety wiring and coolant usage, track maintenance should be the same for the street or the track. Your bike should be safe everytime you throw your leg over it. Being that your bike will be used for street and track duty, there are other options for coolant. Most tracks and orgs allow the use on non ethelyne glycol coolants, I use Evans Coolant in my CBR which at one point was used for double duty, it offers freeze protection (probably not an issue in NC) and it is legal in all racing and track day orgs. In my track only bike I use Water Wetter and distilled water, It works great, but does not offer freeze protection. I keep my bike in a heated garage, so that does not matter to me.

Street: 2009 CBR600RR Metallic black Track: 2007 GSXR 600 black/white/blue
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
I have the Optimals, they fit great and crashed even better. I would highly recommend them to anybody looking for a good set of race fairings on a budget.

Quote:
I will also be ordering some track fairings w/ zeus fasteners, as for now it will still be my street bike as well.
Use zip ties wherever you can. I know you will want your new track fairings to look good on the bike, but zip ties will break in the event of a crash causing less damage to the fairings. Trust me.

Quote:
It being my street bike I already own a second set of wheels and tires. But I'm sure my Dunlop q2's will see the end of their track life soon, if i get to them as often as I'd like to. So my next set of tires will be some 211's.
If you are going to be getting a tire that requires a warmer the 211's are a great tire. I would also suggest you look into the new Bridgestone R10, they have converted many Dunlop users myself included. They provide superior grip, and are lasting longer than the N-Tech and 211's. For

Quote:
I am sure I should get tire warmers. I read a lot of people praise on Chicken Hawk warmers but why are they soo good and worth the premium?
You can find plenty of good tire warmers for much less than Chicken Hawks. I would suggest you look into MOTY Designs single temp warmers. They are made by a forum member here browningbuck and used by Graves Yamaha. He is selling the single temps for $190 shipped right now. That being said right now I am using MJ Moto tire warmers, they are cheap and work very well. You can get their single temps for $160, or the digitals for $220. https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=228107 http://mjmotogear.com/MJ-Moto-Gear_c114.htm

Quote:
Steel braided lines, a good fluid like Motul or ATE Super Blue, and a high performance pad Ferodo or Vesrah.

Quote:
As said above safety wire everything, ad switch to Water Wetter most tracks wont even let you run Engine Ice anymore. Also dont be shy about changing your oil and brake fluid after every track day.

donate https://secure.echoalley.com/actionfund-lenz/

RIP Phatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepPravacion View Post
helmet mohawks are kinda like those BS vents people add to their fenders...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thank you alot for the help, so far I looked into lap timers and I would think I want a gps one. Saw a couple of smart phone programs as well. Seems like a pretty good option too, at least with a bluetooth gps receiver, since I will be getting one soon. Kill two birds with one stone.

Main reason I want a lap timer is to track my progress through out the day. not really chasing lap times yet. The time will come for that.

For tires, I was told I was heating up my q2's pretty good and the guy holding the track day said it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade soon. Personally I plan on upgrading once I feel they aren't providing enough traction or get worn. I will definitely look into those r10's. Not sure which route I will go. Might try out the 211's and then the r10's to see how I like them. I know i like the way dunlops ride, so we'll see. As i'm sure street tires ride different than race tires.

As for brakes, it's good to get an idea at what brands are good in the motorcycle world. And the last time I flushed my brakes, i put in some Motul stuff.

For maintenance I was mainly just wondering if there is any other maintenance beyond basic maintenance that I should look into at >13,0000 miles for track use.

Last edited by DivineStrike; 06-13-2011 at 04:35 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I like MJMotoGear products, but my cousin was using there warmers and they failed at a trackday, luckily it was at the end of the day, but it was before a race weekend, he then switched to chicken hawks, But MJMoto, exchanged them for the CHs, he just had to pay the diffference.

MJMotoGear also has ome of the fastest shipping I have ever seen, I ordered a front stand from him and got it what seemed like the next day. Great cust. service.

Street: 2009 CBR600RR Metallic black Track: 2007 GSXR 600 black/white/blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page