Major dilema. - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Major dilema.

Ok. So now that I have a trackday under my belt. I am sold. I knew I would be.

I have what was for a long time my dream bike. I still love looking at it. But as of late I just don't enjoy riding on public roads and with other people as much as I did a few years ago.

My thing is I don't want to have a dual duty bike. I dont want to put my bike out on the track and worry about messing up fairings if I go down. And I dont want to worry with the hassle of switching street to track trim all the time...and still even then worry about beating up the bike.

So...Im thinking of just tracking out my baby... I just cringe though when I think of the money that I have spent in just the past year modding it.

I guess my question is, how much do you think I could make off of selling all the street parts. Thats fairings, front and rear rearsets, mirrors, headlights, rear fender, lighting....basically all the stuff I dont need for the street.

Or do you think Id be better off waiting a few months and buying some older 04ish GSXR trackbike for around 3k? They seem to pop up pretty regularly.

Gah...Im just so conflicted. Supposed to ride Estoril next month, and then Le Mans and Valencia in August. Would like to have this sorted out by then.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 05:24 AM
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*

Thanked 1,191 Times in 901 Posts
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
You could make over $1500 selling your street stuff more than likely, especially the graffiti fairings. It's up to you wether you want to track your familiar 600RR or try out a whole new bike. Mine is dual duty at the moment and it's a PITA since it is my only transportation at the moment. I've spent so much money on this bike I wouldn't want to turn around and dump it on a track only bike. I'd rather make this my track bike. Ideally, I think most track guys would want 2 bikes to avoid the whole situation. I know I wouldn't mind a 250 for the street only just so I can keep my bike on track mode.

I guess it just comes down to what your future is with the bike. I know I'll be a track only guy so the Honda is perfect for me since I don't have to worry about the racing side of it. If I was good enough to race though I'd make the CBR my (perfect) street bike and consider another brand since it's a lot easier to get sponsers that way.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 05:38 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I bought a new bike for the street with intent of turning the 600 into a track whore. IMO - either look into a new bike for the street or an used bike for the track. Sell off what you can... if it all sells, I think sincalirider is probably close ($1500)...

"We don't ride fast, we fly low"
Quote:
SLAPS808: i needs to go there. tell chicks i got 3 kids. get caught lying, wait for to tell me to pound sand...then im in there like swimwear. i like it. haha

CTM_Patron: chicka you gotta do track..it's like 20 min orgasms every hour for 8hrs:all_cohol

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 08:07 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
IMO. find a bike thats already set up for the track. way easier then doing it yourself. also when you buy a used track bike you can usually find them with exhaust, PC, rearset, clipons ETC. set a budget, and then start shopping,

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcore View Post
Duct tape is like the Force, it has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe lmao
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Thanks for the input guys.

Just sucks not having the kind of money I (we) all wish we had. Ideally Id like to pick up a track ready bike, of any sort....but I am looking at a minimum 2500euro here for one up to standards, so, about 3700 dollars...

I hate not being able to comfortably push myself with the thought of wiping out in the back of my head. Sorta doesnt let you enjoy it as much as you should. I don't care if I crash and rash a bike up, as long as that is the bikes intended purpose. Now my completely clean '08 with stock bodywork...yeah I would be upset. So thats why I almost feel like stripping the street parts off and selling them and just converting it, because then it will be a track bike and, oh well, off track experiences can happen.

But then there will always be the slight tang of regret down the road of not having my pretty sport bike to take out for a spin. Oh well, Ill figure it out somehow.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 11:29 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I was in the same situation a few months ago. I searched and saved and found a bike already sorted for the track for a great price plus the owner had a bunch of spares to go with it. Now I have my street bike that I can take for rides whenever I want and a track bike that I can ride on the track without worrying about possibly damaging. Good luck with your decision. Wera boards an the classifieds here are a good place to look.

1992 CBR600F2 SOLD
2003 600RR for the track SOLD
2004 600RR for the street SOLD
2005 600RR for the street SOLD
2003 600RR track project CURRENT
R.I.P. Phatstud

'03 PROJECT THREAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
oh it gets worse...... most of the other pics are even less professional...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Well it is an unfortunate/fortunate situation with me living in/stationed in Spain. Everything is wicked expensive.

However, I get opportunities to ride tracks like Jerez, Estoril, Portimao, Aragon, Valencia, Etc...

For sure if I pick up a track bike that bitch is coming back stateside. Im thinking about going back home for college when I get out. Which home is right next to PBIR (formally Morosso). Definitely gonna be a track whore.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I was having the same dilemma for quite some time. I would rather ride the bike I that I am accustomed to, it is important to have trust/experience in your ride at the track, and keep optimistic, rather than buy some older poc with the belief that it is going to be torn up.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 12:33 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
Its not really a dilema after all your heart is set on the track and with such world class tracks available to you any one would be crazy to pass on such exp with that being said convert your RR to a track beast sell all the stock and pretty mods you got into it .

Take these funds and put them back into the bike with Ohlins suspension and other goodies and if you got any mula left make them your tire fund have fun while you are it .

You have a fantasy right at your disposal live it for all of us who can only dream about it
do not forget the snap shots while you are out there having a blast.

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeman View Post
Its not really a dilema after all your heart is set on the track and with such world class tracks available to you any one would be crazy to pass on such exp with that being said convert your RR to a track beast sell all the stock and pretty mods you got into it .

Take these funds and put them back into the bike with Ohlins suspension and other goodies and if you got any mula left make them your tire fund have fun while you are it .

You have a fantasy right at your disposal live it for all of us who can only dream about it
do not forget the snap shots while you are out there having a blast.

Moeman ~ that's sig material, right there ^
The Following User Says Thank You to ninja rr For This Useful Post:
Moeman (06-13-2011)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 01:04 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
In my experience having one for street and one for track use I'm all for it. Its always nice to have more than 1 bike but in the end I rarely used my street bike anymore so now I'm selling my track bike and turning in my street bike into a track. Reason why is that I need the funds else where such as suspension and tires, they take a lot on the wallet. Cant mod two bikes at the same time lol.

Quote:
One Vision Racing - CVMA # 509
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page