KTM Arrive and Race - Mid Ohio 9/27 - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
KTM Arrive and Race - Mid Ohio 9/27

I've managed to schedule a firewall installation at our remote office in Athens, Ohio next week. Going to take advantage of the "free" flight and ride at Mid-Ohio on the 27th.

Mid-Ohio and KTM have a program where you ride on the track with a KTM for $275. 1190 RC8R or 990 SMR.

If anybody else is in the area or planning on attending, let me know. Track time is always awesome, but better in the company of 600RR peeps.

‎"Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile, can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." -JFK

----
"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

--
SuperMoto ------------------- SuperSport

Does it get any better? Probably not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
That is a smoking deal have fun man and make sure you get some snap shots

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 08:22 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I got to ride a KTM RC8R on the track one session last year - it was GREAT !

Very powerful motorcycle & well planted even with Michelin Pilot Powers
The Brembo Mono Blocks are tremendous !
Good body position / feel with the standard bars & pegs
Very comfortable for just hopping on it to ride
Could easily race it w/o many changes

I didn't push it hard 'cause had to sign release that said I would have to pay for repairs if I crashed it :(

Still was LOTS-O-FUN at 80% pace

Enjoy & post your review

63 and still having FUN !!
#737 BK Racing - CMRA
Sponsors- Dallas Honda, Impact Safety Armor

"The road to Hell is really grippy with loads of run off & some wicked lefthanders"

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNI Dawg View Post
I got to ride a KTM RC8R on the track one session last year - it was GREAT !

Very powerful motorcycle & well planted even with Michelin Pilot Powers
The Brembo Mono Blocks are tremendous !
Good body position / feel with the standard bars & pegs
Very comfortable for just hopping on it to ride
Could easily race it w/o many changes

I didn't push it hard 'cause had to sign release that said I would have to pay for repairs if I crashed it :(

Still was LOTS-O-FUN at 80% pace

Enjoy & post your review
Ya...damn release. I don't plan on "buying" a motorcycle next week, that is for damn sure!!!

I signed up for Intermediate, which is where I ride on the RR. I've got that thought in my head that I will need to be able to work over the next 3 days afterwards too, so nothing too crazy!

Hopefully they'll have some good enough pics that I'll feel like buying them!

‎"Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile, can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." -JFK

----
"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

--

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 11:57 AM
World Superbike Racer

Found a pic of me on the KTM

#737 BK Racing - CMRA

"The road to Hell is really grippy with loads of run off & some wicked lefthanders"
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Sweet!

Forecast of rain, so the event may be cancelled if it does. I'm going to be soooo bummed..not to mention more than a little ticked off if that happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNI Dawg View Post
Found a pic of me on the KTM

----

--

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 04:43 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If only I lived closer... I know ducati did an event similar to this at MAM for the past few years but not this year.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

So..no pictures yet. Hopefully be gettin them in the mail soon.

First thing, Mid Ohio and KTM run a really great event. I was a bit worried that maybe there would be some troubles based on how short the riders meeting was, but any reservations that I had, were completely unfounded.

First off, the track. Mid Ohio is an absolutely gorgeous track, that is a whole lot of fun to ride. I've seen it on TV a couple of times watching the AMA races, but riding it was a completely different experience. Everything was so green, which only having previously ridden tracks in SoCal and Vegas, is something that is completely foreign to me. You run off a track around here and you've got, dirt. And rocks. And sometimes, partial canyon formations.

The track itself presents a lot of challenges with numerous elevation changes and blind corners. While the track isn't as wide as say...Chuckwalla, it is wide enough to go 3-4 bikes wide in any number of corners.

Corner workers were top notch. Not once did I ever see one of them not paying attention to the track and fumbling with their phone or distracted in some other way. The ambulance and crash trucks were seemingly always ready to mobilize and didn't hesitate to get on the gas to get to the areas where they were required.

Now..the bike.

1000 ccs of vtwin goodness. I've ridden one other 1000 twin, a RC51. The KTM RC8 was similar, but on roids. This was to be expected as newer technology tends to bring about better experiences. It felt slimmer, not "quite" as tall for my 30' inseam and a lot lighter. Initial turn in required about the same amount of effort as my 07 600RR, with transtions requiring a bit more work and use of the legs. Overall braking power was...quite frankly. Kind of unbelievable. I thought the initial bite was kind of harsh, with a very progressive feel. Once I was used to it however, I was braking ridiculous late and all the way to, and sometimes past the apex. It was kind of surreal. I guess that is what you should expect from Brembo monoblocs though.

Dunlop was the tire provider for the day, and they spooned new Q2s on most of the bikes. I've professed my dislike of Q2s somewhere else on the site, but I will confess that they gave me enough feedback to keep me from lowsiding. The fact that I was riding hard enough to potentially lowside surprised me, but the fact that the tire yelled at me loud enough for me to hear it surprised me as well. I attribute the potential crash moreso to...the bad stuff.

Which would be, the suspension. I felt like I was riding on glass the entire day with very little, if any feedback from the bike. This was due to the fact that with approximately 25 bikes being used by 3 different groups, KTM had put together what they referred to as a "Sport" setting on all the bikes and called it a day. This meant that my 150 lb (soaking wet with a full stomach) ass was sharing the same bike as some other dude who weighed 240 lbs. Finding a happy medium, was not going to happen. At least not for me. I was EASILY the lightest person there by 10-15 lbs. Their were 5 other people in my approximate weight range. Everybody else at the track was closer to 200, no contest. Kind of unfortunate, because I don't feel like I got a really good opportunity to see what I could do with the bike. Oh well, it was probably better that way anyways. I had absolutely no intention of needing to pay extra to fix a damn bike I didn't own.

and..the concession stand. I usually don't eat lunch when I'm at the track. I have enough water, bananas, protein drinks and a clif bar or two to keep me satisfied, without making me feel weighed down and tired after eating. However, having flown in (and there is not a large grocery store or anything similar within miles of the track, at least not that I found) I was forced to purchase lunch from the concession. The food wasn't bad, but they had only been open for approximately 20 minutes and they had run out of 3 things that were on my potential, "Maybe I'll get that" list. And they weren't selling any souveniers or anything either. I may never get the opportunity to come back. I would have purchased a keychain, magnet, tshirt, something. Dang it.

To end the story, at least until I get some damn pictures to post up, I told the KTM jacket wearing coordinator dude, that he needed to bring the show to California. If they do come out, I'll give it another go and I suggest that you think about doing so as well.

----

--

Last edited by Knightshade; 10-03-2011 at 05:38 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 09:40 PM
World Superbike Racer

Nice review !!

I was lucky with the suspension 'cause I'm about 210
So it felt pretty dang good for me.

Ya.... they are fast as sheet aren't they ?!?!?!

can't wait to see your pics....

#737 BK Racing - CMRA

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 56 reviews
niiiice! lucky you!
nice review, cant wait to see the pics mang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbylitenin View Post
I wanna learn from the master king dingaling
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

So..the pics came in.

Couple things going on in the first one. This was taken in the first session out. Intermediate/Advanced group was the first one out at 0900.

Track had been absolutely blitzed with rain the day before, the weather was overcast and about 65 degrees.

Bike was absolutely clean, shiny and purty with brand freekin new Dunlop Q2s.

I hadn't sat on a sportbike in at least a month and like a complete idiot, got a little sideways spinning up the rear exiting pit lane attempting to get some heat in the tires. I had forgotten how quick you get the power on a twin, especially a 1K.

I'm riding around, basically scrubbing tires in in non optimum conditions (riding with what feels like marbles underneath my tires) worried about crashing the bike and being "that guy" who not only crashes first, but does so in the first session. I think the look in my eyes says it all.

This next one, shows the limit of my aggressive riding for the day. My previous session had been on the #11 bike, which had HORRIBLE front end shudder under hard braking coming down the back straight. (Turns out there were absolutely no brake pads left) Cut my session extremely short, so the KTM jacket wearing coordinator dude let me go out two sessions in a row, one with the Novice group, then another with the Intermediate/Advanced guys I had been riding with.

Great thing about riding the Novice group, is the number of control riders they had, who were willing to tow people around. Intermediate/Advanced group, they were just blitzing past people. So, I got 2 laps with a guy who towed me around for two laps. It was great, and allowed me to finally get a handle (albiet, a very loose grip on that handle) on the Esses (Turns 6-9).

Couple of things happened during that very last session. I think I finally started enjoying myself, a huge wall of exhaustion hit me (I'm assuming that was travel fatigue since I wasn't riding hard at all) and I almost lost it going into Turn 13. Fully leaned over, knee out, at the apex and I feel the front end slide forward a smidge. Funk it! I'm done. It was 4 o'clock anyways, and I had a 3 hour drive to my hotel ahead of me.

Still fun though. Throughout, and at the end of the day, I was fantasizing about riding my RR on the track. Now that...would have been a friggin blast.

----

--

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 04:10 PM
World Superbike Racer

Very Cool !

You won't have to worry about throttle management as much with your CBR600RR

You can get in trouble really quick on those KTM 1190cc V Twins !!!
It would take me quite a while to get comfortable enough to push the pace on the KTM
Seat time....lots & lots of seat time !

#737 BK Racing - CMRA

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 56 reviews
cool pics mang. that bike suits you. you dont even look undersized by that beast.
thats a whole lotta bike! im glad you kept it in your pants. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbylitenin View Post
I wanna learn from the master king dingaling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page