Jason Pridmore's STAR School - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 129 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 56 reviews
Jason Pridmore's STAR School

Anyone ever done a STAR school with Jason Pridmore and his instructors??
Im scheduled to do this course. What can i expect out of this course of instruction?
Any words of wisdom or experience from anyone here who has participated in the STAR School is welcome.

Maybe they can figure out and help me stop crashing so much.

Thanks.

Werd.

-Slaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbylitenin View Post
I wanna learn from the master king dingaling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 129 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 10:38 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Star school is great, we have done two of them. He will talk about rpm management, down shifting, body position, etc. I highly recommend. Also, make sure to do the 2 up ride.

Chaos Theory Racing #308

2009 cbr600rr
Vortex rearsets and gas cap
Yoshimura Full rs-5 TI exhaust
Bazzaz Z-fi QS and Z-bomb
Yoyodyne 1/8 turn throttle
Driven Sprockets and RK chain 520
ASV levers
some gear indicator dingy thing
Pirelli Tires
Galfer SS brake lines
EBC HH brakes
Armour bodies superbike bodywork
Woodcraft clip-ons and casings

post #3 of 129 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb97405 View Post
Star school is great, we have done two of them. He will talk about rpm management, down shifting, body position, etc. I highly recommend. Also, make sure to do the 2 up ride.
sweet! thanks for the info john. so youve done the star and pro school?
whats the comparison between the two courses??

Quote:

post #4 of 129 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 11:38 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Haven't done the pro school. Just did the star school twice, once on a saturday and once on a Sunday (they have a slightly different curriculum on the different day, but it's mostly the same stuff.) I think you should definitely go... Helped our riding alot.

Chaos Theory Racing #308

2009 cbr600rr
Vortex rearsets and gas cap
Yoshimura Full rs-5 TI exhaust
Bazzaz Z-fi QS and Z-bomb
Yoyodyne 1/8 turn throttle
Driven Sprockets and RK chain 520
ASV levers
some gear indicator dingy thing
Pirelli Tires
Galfer SS brake lines
EBC HH brakes
Armour bodies superbike bodywork
Woodcraft clip-ons and casings

post #5 of 129 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 11:47 PM
fall down 7times get up 8

Feedback Score: 30 reviews
Thumbs up

star school is definitely worth the money
the biggest revelation for me was riding two up w/pridmore. it's unreal how much braking force is available while trail braking into a turn/corner. unfortunately the two day school i did was on a wet track w/out a lot of camber or elevation change & is pretty slick when not totally wet or dry. it needs to be completely wet for rain tyres to work. i was lucky to get a few laps during a dry afternoon to ride on back of his bike, but wasn't able to apply what i'd picked up that day due to more rain

the other thing that i learned, that i hadn't really thought about as it's not as much of a concern w/riding 600s; is keeping the rpm range above the torque curve. reason being that the bike will spin up faster or too fast & lead to potential high siding. this is especially important on litre bikes due to when second bank of injectors come spraying on; the bike wants to wheelie or spin out/up too quickly. often leading to off track excursions.
their school had this austrailian fella working with him a couple of years ago; if he's still there, work with him if @ all possible. either jason or this aussie really seemed to have beneficial information for me. i've been to many racing/track oriented schools though so already had quite a bit of knowledge coming in.

don't be afraid to ask questions or for help. see an instructor about getting followed for critique on your riding style & position. & filmed if possible.
their prices are among the least expensive, but his staff didn't seem as knowledgeable as other schools i've experienced. i think the rain really threw them for working @ the track we rode @. idunno.......

most schools have a lot to do with the student ie. if you don't ask for help you most likely won't get an instructor pursuing you to 'help' you. that's how it is w/most schools; you get what you put in.

have fun & post up pics etc after completion. i believe he also did extend some training time on using rear brake properly. it's been a long time. i mention it due to many schools suggesting there's no advantage to utilizing the rear brake. guess all those thumb brake levers in motogp are for looks

race/ride support 2004 & beyond

"fall down seven times, get up eight"

" can't stop stupid sir, i can only slow it down....."

post #6 of 129 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 10:24 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Which track are you riding bro? I wanna do one at CVR.
post #7 of 129 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Haven't done the pro school. Just did the star school twice, once on a saturday and once on a Sunday (they have a slightly different curriculum on the different day, but it's mostly the same stuff.) I think you should definitely go... Helped our riding alot.
cool man. sounds like something i need. my confidence is real low due to all these friggen crashes. lol. thanks for the input bro!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redridinghood11 View Post
star school is definitely worth the money
the biggest revelation for me was riding two up w/pridmore. it's unreal how much braking force is available while trail braking into a turn/corner. unfortunately the two day school i did was on a wet track w/out a lot of camber or elevation change & is pretty slick when not totally wet or dry. it needs to be completely wet for rain tyres to work. i was lucky to get a few laps during a dry afternoon to ride on back of his bike, but wasn't able to apply what i'd picked up that day due to more rain

the other thing that i learned, that i hadn't really thought about as it's not as much of a concern w/riding 600s; is keeping the rpm range above the torque curve. reason being that the bike will spin up faster or too fast & lead to potential high siding. this is especially important on litre bikes due to when second bank of injectors come spraying on; the bike wants to wheelie or spin out/up too quickly. often leading to off track excursions.
their school had this austrailian fella working with him a couple of years ago; if he's still there, work with him if @ all possible. either jason or this aussie really seemed to have beneficial information for me. i've been to many racing/track oriented schools though so already had quite a bit of knowledge coming in.

don't be afraid to ask questions or for help. see an instructor about getting followed for critique on your riding style & position. & filmed if possible.
their prices are among the least expensive, but his staff didn't seem as knowledgeable as other schools i've experienced. i think the rain really threw them for working @ the track we rode @. idunno.......

most schools have a lot to do with the student ie. if you don't ask for help you most likely won't get an instructor pursuing you to 'help' you. that's how it is w/most schools; you get what you put in.

have fun & post up pics etc after completion. i believe he also did extend some training time on using rear brake properly. it's been a long time. i mention it due to many schools suggesting there's no advantage to utilizing the rear brake. guess all those thumb brake levers in motogp are for looks
damn man! thank you for your insight and input. im real excited now! definitely gonna take some of your advice.
theres gonna be close to 50 of us that day. we'll see if i can get a 2up ride.
ill take some pics too. im hopin theres gonna be a photographer on site. ill email them and ask.
thanks again Dodge!

Quote:
post #8 of 129 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azn-Sensation View Post
Which track are you riding bro? I wanna do one at CVR.
ill be at CVR for the 12th. theyll be there on the 12th and the 14th. these are special days for them.

but also their website says theyll be doing classes on the 15th and 16th (sat/sun). 15th might be sold out. but 16th is still open to sign up.
you should definitely give that weekend a try.

Quote:
post #9 of 129 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 09:17 PM
World Superbike Racer

yeah bro definitely gonna Star school once this season. i'm off that sunday 16th but have to work the next day, I hate doing TD's and having to work the following day. I may end up doing the ones in dec.
post #10 of 129 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
yeah bro definitely gonna Star school once this season. i'm off that sunday 16th but have to work the next day, I hate doing TD's and having to work the following day. I may end up doing the ones in dec.
yea i hear ya bro. i dont like goin to work the next day either. hahaha.

let me know what you decide for dec. maybe ill join you if i can afford to.

Quote:
post #11 of 129 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 09:48 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPS808 View Post
yea i hear ya bro. i dont like goin to work the next day either. hahaha.

let me know what you decide for dec. maybe ill join you if i can afford to.
Yeah most def bro! Being the holiday season I may be able to work an actual holiday in exchange for being off on a TD! Ill keep you posted!
post #12 of 129 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Yeah most def bro! Being the holiday season I may be able to work an actual holiday in exchange for being off on a TD! Ill keep you posted!
werd up homie.

Quote:
post #13 of 129 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 10:21 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Damn Slaps...

Wish I had known you were interested. Would have tried to convince you to go to their Dec 10/11 dates.

I've done Jason's school twice. Once at SOW on my SV650 and last year at CVR with the RR. Always done 2 days as it is completely and totally worth it.

Major difference between 1st and 2nd day w/my SV. Went from a middle of the road Level 2 guy to lower echelon Level 3 guy after that school.

I had been struggling with various aspects of my riding on the RR since moving on from the SV ever since I got it. STAR school didn't bring it all together like it did on my SV, but it definitely put me on the right path. Highly recommended.

Pic in my sig is me at CVR last year. The Photog who travels with Jason is a notch above what you'll see at some other SoCal tracks. IMO.

‎"Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile, can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." -JFK

----
"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

--
SuperMoto ------------------- SuperSport

Does it get any better? Probably not.
post #14 of 129 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightshade View Post
Damn Slaps...

Wish I had known you were interested. Would have tried to convince you to go to their Dec 10/11 dates.

I've done Jason's school twice. Once at SOW on my SV650 and last year at CVR with the RR. Always done 2 days as it is completely and totally worth it.

Major difference between 1st and 2nd day w/my SV. Went from a middle of the road Level 2 guy to lower echelon Level 3 guy after that school.

I had been struggling with various aspects of my riding on the RR since moving on from the SV ever since I got it. STAR school didn't bring it all together like it did on my SV, but it definitely put me on the right path. Highly recommended.

Pic in my sig is me at CVR last year. The Photog who travels with Jason is a notch above what you'll see at some other SoCal tracks. IMO.
its all good bro. if youre speakin of dec of last yr, i wouldnt have made it. i was in afghan during that time.

ill definitely try to do a 2day course. but for this one, since its free for me, i can only do 1 day.
id like to do the star and then the pro school. im also saving money and looking into some other schools/racing schools that i can afford.

i just read the info on jason's site. theyll have a photographer there. his pics on that site seem pretty good.
and id have to agree with the socal track photogr's...not so good. hahaha.
only track photographer ive liked is ditto from gotbluemilk.

Quote:
post #15 of 129 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
cool man. sounds like something i need. my confidence is real low due to all these friggen crashes. lol. thanks for the input bro!
damn man! thank you for your insight and input. im real excited now! definitely gonna take some of your advice.
theres gonna be close to 50 of us that day. we'll see if i can get a 2up ride.
ill take some pics too. im hopin theres gonna be a photographer on site. ill email them and ask.
thanks again Dodge!
pridmore will go flying past your typical brake markers (by hundreds of feet) & you'll probably be wondering if you're gonna stay on the back of the bike. no worries brother, you will
the kewl thing w/getting schooling; is your crash ratio should steadily decrease. ie. crashes per miles whether on track or street will decrease

you might also want to tell them about your crashing/running off course. reason being is they might be able to figure out exactly what you're doing wrong or where your suspension set up needs improving. micheal jordan is buddies w/jason & does his schools nearly anytime star school is near chicago or whatever track jordan feels like riding @. he kept lowsiding the 750s, but it wasn't exactly due to riding the bike wrong. it had more to do w/the rear shock being incapable of dealing w/jordans weight & length on the bike

he would start to high side, then low side. the problem wasn't the rider, it was equipment

will enjoy his school vicariously via you, so post up pics & give a write up of your experience, if you feel up to it

tracktactics used to give really deep discounts to members of their forum to star school. idunno if they're still doing so, but it was over half off & worth being a member. it was some deal where they were compensating star school via advertising so they'd give a really big break for peeps from that forum

cheers

post #16 of 129 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 03:57 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

oh snap im going to be there on the 12th aswell
post #17 of 129 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 09:52 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

sent the email today to register the 12th hopefully i get a spot, anyone got room in their trailer/truck...
post #18 of 129 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 10:10 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Yeah, +1 to all the above.
Do both days if you can. Do the two up ride on the first day and as early as possible. No, he's not gonna drag his mirrors LOL

It was awesome and i'd do it any time again!

2008 Graffiti Simon - Street
2008 R6 - Track

Tea
IMMIGracing
PopShadow.com

STT Staff
Midwest Instructor
www.sportbiketracktime.com ChicagolandBikers

CCS #56 - CCS #56 - WSB, Arlen Ness Racing, Hindle, Silkolene, Vortex, Sharkskinz, FMCRacing, PopShadow, TrackdayMag.com, Cyclepath Racing
post #19 of 129 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
pridmore will go flying past your typical brake markers (by hundreds of feet) & you'll probably be wondering if you're gonna stay on the back of the bike. no worries brother, you will.
the kewl thing w/getting schooling; is your crash ratio should steadily decrease. ie. crashes per miles whether on track or street will decrease

you might also want to tell them about your crashing/running off course. reason being is they might be able to figure out exactly what you're doing wrong or where your suspension set up needs improving. micheal jordan is buddies w/jason & does his schools nearly anytime star school is near chicago or whatever track jordan feels like riding @. he kept lowsiding the 750s, but it wasn't exactly due to riding the bike wrong. it had more to do w/the rear shock being incapable of dealing w/jordans weight & length on the bike

he would start to high side, then low side. the problem wasn't the rider, it was equipment

will enjoy his school vicariously via you, so post up pics & give a write up of your experience, if you feel up to it

tracktactics used to give really deep discounts to members of their forum to star school. idunno if they're still doing so, but it was over half off & worth being a member. it was some deal where they were compensating star school via advertising so they'd give a really big break for peeps from that forum

cheers
thats exactly what i want, my crashings to a bare minimum. so my confidence can go back up to where it used to be. lol.
but yea, that was part of my plan. im going to tell them about my crashing and track riding history.
im sure theyll have a plan of some sort to help me figure out what the problem is. who knows, like you said, it could be bike/equipment or me or the combo of both.

one thing i know for sure, is that ill be learning! and ill definitely come back here and write a review of the whole thing.

Quote:
post #20 of 129 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 10:45 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
pridmore will go flying past your typical brake markers (by hundreds of feet) & you'll probably be wondering if you're gonna stay on the back of the bike. no worries brother, you will
True that. On the second lap, about midway through, I started really worrying about what would happen if I were to let go.

I wasn't sure how much longer I was going to be able to hang on. Dude is a beast, isn't going 100% with somebody on the back.

I've done two 2up rides with Jason. One at Streets of Willow and the one below at Chuckwalla. Both were amazing, unforgettable experiences.

‎"Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile, can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." -JFK

----
"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

--

post #21 of 129 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

so how does one get a ride on the back? do they ask for any volunteers or do you have to ask to go 2 up?

Quote:
post #22 of 129 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 09:05 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
so how does one get a ride on the back? do they ask for any volunteers or do you have to ask to go 2 up?
Wink at him bakla...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
Flip Diver's gotta be a bot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatstud View Post
flip posts bewbies everywhere!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacksoncbr600 View Post
No flipdiver posts newbies everywhere.
post #23 of 129 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipDiver79 View Post
Wink at him bakla...

is that the secret? you must speak from experience.

Quote:
post #24 of 129 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 09:25 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Wink at him bakla...
hahaha that would get you more than a 2 up ride.
post #25 of 129 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallout View Post
hahaha that would get you more than a 2 up ride.
he should know. flipbakla and doug polen get along quite nicely.

Quote:
post #26 of 129 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 11:00 PM
Moto GP Racer

They'll bring it up during the course of the day, time permitting.

When I did it at SOW, they were asking for donations for the 2up. They were raising funds for street riders and racers whose medical coverage wasn't covering their bills. Any amount and you got to ride. Best $20 I've ever spent.

At CVR, it was free. The dude whom Jason had just given a ride to before me was easily over 200 lbs. I'm thinking he got a little overzealous with my light 150 lb (soaking wet, with a full stomach) butt on the back of the bike. Still, awesome time. Never going to forget either one of those rides.

----

--

post #27 of 129 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 11:41 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
he should know. flipbakla and doug polen get along quite nicely.
Your the one who cant wait to get in line for a 2up bakla...

Here train a bit before your track school...

http://youtu.be/H6uNTpYtacw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
Flip Diver's gotta be a bot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatstud View Post
flip posts bewbies everywhere!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacksoncbr600 View Post
No flipdiver posts newbies everywhere.
post #28 of 129 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Your the one who cant wait to get in line for a 2up bakla...

Here train a bit before your track school...

http://youtu.be/H6uNTpYtacw
lmao. its beyond me how you know where these types of videos can be found.

dont hate gurrrl fren! i get to ride cvr and go to star school for free.
i shoud even mention that i can get free transportation for the bike and myself to cvr.

Quote:
post #29 of 129 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 03:55 AM

yo slaps,
i would approach pridmore @ your earliest opportunity regarding the two up ride. it really is 'that' revealing

& wsmc doesn't have any decibel limits. i think seca is one of the only tracks in cali. that does this & it's due to locals complaining about it. these same people bring their track cars out & simply redirect their exhaust output to the inside of t5 to avoid blowing sound, yet they are in violation the entire day. occasionally someone in the sound booth will move to other parts of the circuit to catch offenders, but that's pretty rare.

post #30 of 129 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

thanks dodge! ill try and catch em early.

slapped on new dot races...im hoping i dont need warmers. i didnt get a chance to rent a genny. ;0(

Quote:

Last edited by SLAPS808; 10-12-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page