Dailing it in... - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 04:01 AM
Nemesis

Dailing it in...

I've been pondering about this for awhile and decided to finally ask anyone who may shed some light on this.

Regarding MotoGP, if they had dialed in their bikes for a particular track last year, and it ran almost to near perfection, why don't they use the same dial in for the same track this year?

Why do they say, "We've been having problems with the front suspension trying to dial it in" or what have you?

I don't understand this.

Here's another thing I don't understand. This was an excerpt from Superbike (July 2005 issue):

Quote:
According to Karl Muggerridge, "Basically late in the race, when the tyres are worn the bike has a mind of its own and is harder to deal with. With a year on the CBR1000RR in 2004 Chris (Vermuelen) is a bit more used to it and better at riding around it, I'm taking a little longer to get used to it. But the truth of the matter is we're having problems with the suspension." One of the main reasons are some new prototype WP forks they're developing. The scoop is they're gas-type forks (as Ohlins and Yamaha race teams have been using for awhile now). Karl reckons the WP gas forks were the root of his two crashes at Valencia saying: "When you come off the brakes they basically spring up and push the front wheel and bike out in the corner rather than going round it. Which is obviously hard to deal with."
What does he mean by, "...they basically spring up and push the front wheel and bike out in the corner rather than going round it."??? I mean, isn't that what the suspension does anyways? Spring up and push the front wheel when you come off the front brakes?

Last edited by Nemesis; 08-06-2005 at 07:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 09:36 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First question --> Tires change dramatically (even week to week) in MotoGP so they need to account for that. Also, tracks change, weather changes, etc. In addition, since MotoGP is the pinnacle of motorcycle development they are always upgrading equipment so chances are, the forks this year are pretty different from last year (at least internally). In MotoGP, if you're standing still development-wise, you're getting passed.

Second--> From what I understand, the gas charged forks are like active suspension : when they feel a force they counter it with a measured opposite force. While physics-wise this is the same as a traditional fork, in actuality it isn't. Think of it like this : A traditional fork is like an NFL offensive lineman pass blocking, his job is to soften the charge of the defender and then stabilize. The gas charged forks are like the same lineman, only on a run play. His job is to blow the defender off the ball in a forward motion. It's a loose metaphor, but you get the idea. Having ridden traditional forks your whole life I'd imagine it'd be tough to switch.. my guess is that the front end feel is very low.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page