GP Shift vs Standard - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
WCR Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
GP Shift vs Standard

So I just put on my rear sets last night and was debating on GP Shift or Standard. I know the benefits of the two but just donít want to face plant as I shift down instead of up out of a turn. Should I practice off the track first or just screw it and do it? And if anyone does not know what GP shift is (5-down 1-up) itís a reversed shift pattern of standard shifting (1-down 5-up) Better for sifting out of corners when leaned over to keep the foot above the lever.

773 Expert
I am the guy the track Marshal warned you about.

Sponsors are anyone who will give me money.

http://www.sponsorhouse.com/members/MeadeR
http://actionfund.roadracingworld.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 09:46 AM
World Superbike Racer

GP shift is the way to go. If you think about it, you can up shift quicker this way and while breaking you have littler more time to slide your foot under the shift.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 10:12 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I put it on my race bike with out ever trying it before, and i was thinking the same, should i pratice a bit first before i go on the track, but i absolutely love it, you dont really have to think about it much after a couple of laps, i must admit tho i did change down a gear about 3 times, but its not that bad of a deal,trust me tho you'll love going GP shift after you change to it.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 10:52 AM

I prefer gp shift, but I run standard cause I also ride dirt and don't want to confuse myself. When you are learning gp shift, generally you will do fine until you are in a battle with someone and then it is easy to forget because your concentrating on other things, so just be careful of that. good luck
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 11:23 AM

Yeah, it takes a while to learn and the problem is when you panic you generally go back to the old way. There's a guy on the Jennings board (Melka) who is a very good rider and he busted a$$ because of it so it can happen... just be cautious until you've completely got it.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 12:10 PM

i ride GP shift on my street bike and i love it, its the way to go.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 12:12 PM
She thinks my tractor's sexy, it really turns her on....

I to wanted to change, but i'm just worried like some of you have said, when you panick you go to what you know. That could be bad. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaRider aka: PAMANI View Post
haha, me and my whore gee
My Name Is Alan ! ! ! I'm also known as OPTIMUS PRIME...
Office Monkey #2
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 06:13 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyshowtime
I put it on my race bike with out ever trying it before, and i was thinking the same, should i pratice a bit first before i go on the track, but i absolutely love it, you dont really have to think about it much after a couple of laps, i must admit tho i did change down a gear about 3 times, but its not that bad of a deal,trust me tho you'll love going GP shift after you change to it.
I too made the leap this past trackday and love it. The only problem I can forsee is going between bikes. I also endurance race a friend's R6 and he won't change to the GP pattern, so going from mine to his will take some thought, but I really love the GP pattern.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 06:41 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by REM6A
So I just put on my rear sets last night and was debating on GP Shift or Standard. I know the benefits of the two but just donít want to face plant as I shift down instead of up out of a turn. Should I practice off the track first or just screw it and do it? And if anyone does not know what GP shift is (5-down 1-up) itís a reversed shift pattern of standard shifting (1-down 5-up) Better for sifting out of corners when leaned over to keep the foot above the lever.
i don't think there's any advantage or disadvantage. it's a matter of preference. personally i like pulling up to downshift. less chance for me to hit a false neutral. also, if i need to short shift in a turn it's easier to click down then pull up. i notice a lot of riders that use standard when they down shift they actually lift the foot from the peg to click down. with gp i rotate my foot up and out, just feels natural. this is just my $0.02. it took me about 1 session to get the hang of it 2 years ago and i haven't used standard since. when i do ride a bike that has standard shift it ****s with my head...lol
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 07:49 PM

I personally don't ride anything other than GP shift. I love it and would never go back to standard.

If you start riding GP shift don't ride anything other than GP shift or you'll mess up your mind. I tried having my track bike GP and street bike GP and after messing up my street bike shifting I put both of them to GP and have never had a problem.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 09:44 PM
Pocketbike Racer

GP shift is just a preference, try it out and see if you like it, if not switch back. I tried GP shift and did not like it so I use standard shifting. I have absolutely no problem riding fast, if anyone tells you that you need GP shift to go fast they are full of ****! Matt Mladin and Max Biaggi use standard shift and so does Kevin Schwantz.

2012 CBR1000RR (Street)
2008 GSXR600 (Street/Track)
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 12:56 AM
World Superbike Racer

+1 with what javawhz says. The real advantage is for full lean on a right hander and upshifting before exiting the corner, but it's a matter of comfort. You can adjust your riding/racing style depending. I have mine on GP shift and am still trying to get used to it. I've had some close calls incorrectly shifting. I think it would be ideal if you're using the GP shift on the street also so it becomes second nature when you go to the track.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
WCR Racer

So I just went out to test this GP shift out. You guys are so right, did a wheelie coming out of a hot U turn (surprise, front end is lighter with track plastic now) and I missed the shift. But it is so sick slamming the shifter down when accelerating. Still nervous about the track and shifting different but feel better as I was reading about your point of views and the accidents. But some one told me to put tape on my speedometer that has written "GP SHIFT!" Maybe this will help too. Thanks guys, any one else?

773 Expert

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 10:14 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

I have been debating the change myself and I keep going quicker every time I go out with the standard pattern so I haven't wanted to throw it into the mix quite yet.

I am racing next weekend and will keep it as standard but the weekend after that I have a trackday and am going to change it up and see how I like it.

NE/Mid-Atlantic CCS/ASRA #973
2006 NE CCS/LRRS Amateur Champion
MW SuperSport, MW Superbike, MW Grand Prix, HW SuperSport, HW Superbike, UNL SuperSport, UNL Superbike

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 12:06 PM
World Superbike Racer

REM6A,
Just like anything, it takes a matter of getting used to and practice, but there's a definite advantage on full lean on a right hander. Good luck.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 12:32 PM
The ULTIMATE 1 Upper

GP shifting is the way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
WCR Racer

The GP shift worked great! It had me a little nervous at first, but worked. Only had a problem with it a couple of times when in a hard pass and was coming out of a turn and miss shifted. Thanks for all your guys input.

773 Expert

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 02:39 AM
World Superbike Racer

A lot of it is personal preference, but there ARE occasions when GP shift may NOT be ideal, even on the track.

Infineon Raceway (Sears Point) is a tight, technical track with lots of elevation changes, where nailing your downshifts rapidly (sometimes 2-3 gears within 1-1.5 seconds, depending on the type of bike) is crucial to getting a good drive out. Some folks I know have specifically switched back to conventional shift for this reason -- it's far easier to get a good, quick positive downshift by stomping down than lifting up.

I've contemplated going back to conventional shift for that reason too -- but I'm too used to GP right now, and at my level, there are other, more effective ways I could go to reduce my laptimes.

If you go GP, do it for the right, valid reasons (and as others have mentioned, they do exist)...but don't do it "just because the racers do it".
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 11:02 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

+1 to what quasi said. If you have turns where you feel as though there is a problem getting that foot under the shifter for the upshift then thats a valid reason. But dont do it just to do it.

NE/Mid-Atlantic CCS/ASRA #973
2006 NE CCS/LRRS Amateur Champion
MW SuperSport, MW Superbike, MW Grand Prix, HW SuperSport, HW Superbike, UNL SuperSport, UNL Superbike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page