Removal of front sprocket cover on track-only bike - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Removal of front sprocket cover on track-only bike

I recently got an '03 954RR for the street, and have been stripping the street parts off the 600RR to make it a track-only bike. Turn signals, brake light, Fender eliminator, luggage racks, reflectors, chain guard are all gone. I have noticed in several still-shots of race bikes, that people remove the front sprocket cover.

Now I know there are certain reasons not to remove this (or for that matter, the chain guard) on a street bike, due to slinging oil/wax and getting laces caught.. but is there any reason I should put the front sprocket cover back on? I dont care about it getting dirty, since I'll have to clean it after each event anyways.. My main reasons are 1) less weight, 2) one less thing to have to take off to clean, 3) nowhere for gunk to just "build up".. and of course 4) looks better imho ;)

So has anyone else just removed this cover and ran w/o it on a track/race bike? Is there any reason I should *not* do this?

^chka0tic :: WERA N#721 :: 2003 Honda CBR600RR
- OverTwo Customs / http://www.overtwocustoms.com/
- Vortex Racing / www.vortexracing.com
- RK Chain / www.rkexcelamerica.com
- Lockhart Phillips / www.teamprivateer.com
-
- www.sponsorhouse.com/members/chkaotic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 03:43 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
For you viewing pleasure whilest waiting. (photo courtsy of Nando)

Kevin

'83 Alfa Romeo Spider Charcoal (+/- 11,000 Miles)
'00 V-Star 1100 Maroon/Ivory | Cobra drag pipes | Jetted
'04 600RR Red/Black | Corsa III | Ohlins Shock | Ohlins Springs/Piston Kit | PCIII | Scotts Damper | CF Jardine Race SO | Vortex Rearsets | HRC Throttle | 520 Conversion -1/+1 | Galfer Brake Lines | Speedo Healer V4 | Jardine FE | Pro Grips | Short Stalk V
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 04:05 PM
Over the berm, and thru the woods, to grandmothers house we go...

There is a chain guide that is part of the cover. If you remove the plastic piece the chain guide is like a metal "C" that guides through the middle of the chain. Make sure you bolt that peice back on. It will stop the chain from binding against the engine case if the chain comes loose or breaks. It could save you a lot of damage and money if that were to ever happen.

I ran mine like that for a while on my street bike for looks, but decided to put it back on to catch chain grime.

04' 600rr function over fashion at this point.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 04:13 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

That does look nice though

05 RR All Black, woodcraft Frame Sliders, Woodcraft titanium Spools, Two Brothers V.A.L.E. C5 Carbon Fiber SLip on, Puig dark smoke windscreen, Power Commander PCIII usb, CRG short black levers, Red Galfer superbike lines, Scotts performance steering damper, BMC Air filter, GP Composite plastics,woodcraft engine covers, XT-Racing lap timer, woodcraft rearsets,
www.bar1performance.com
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamedRRider
There is a chain guide that is part of the cover. If you remove the plastic piece the chain guide is like a metal "C" that guides through the middle of the chain. Make sure you bolt that peice back on. It will stop the chain from binding against the engine case if the chain comes loose or breaks. It could save you a lot of damage and money if that were to ever happen.

I ran mine like that for a while on my street bike for looks, but decided to put it back on to catch chain grime.
When you say chain guide, I immediately think of the plastic piece thats on the top of the front of the swingarm that the actual center of the chain guides over..

I assume you're talking about the metal "gasket-like" c-bracket that bolts on between the engine casing and the cover. If so, I will put that back on then.. Wasn't exactly sure if it served another purpose other than as a spacer.. guess u learn somethin every day..

^chka0tic :: WERA N#721 :: 2003 Honda CBR600RR
- OverTwo Customs / http://www.overtwocustoms.com/
- Vortex Racing / www.vortexracing.com
- RK Chain / www.rkexcelamerica.com
- Lockhart Phillips / www.teamprivateer.com
-
- www.sponsorhouse.com/members/chkaotic
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 12:46 AM

Now, this is where people give me the "evil" eye... because this is a one in a million shot but... should you crash and happen to catch your hand or arm or any part of you for that matter in there, it is going to suck badly. I took the one on the RR off because the shift linkage kind of prevents that, but I left the chain gaurd on. It weighs a few ounces and is more aerodynamic than the bare chain.
The only reason I ever thought of this is because I SAW it happen at Moroso in my second weekend ever. It was a little graphic and that stuff will stay with you. Just an idea to think about.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 09:36 PM
World Superbike Racer

Mine is off.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 02:42 AM
World Superbike Racer

+1 for keeping the metal guard on, even if you take the plastic off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page