Rain Races Suck...LRRS Race Report 8/20-21 - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rain Races Suck...LRRS Race Report 8/20-21

I am sick of hearing people quote Kevin Schwantz from Faster by saying "Rain is the great equalizer". BS. Racing in the rain sucks.

Saturday was a disaster as the skies opened up after practice. It was my 1st time on rain tires and my first time racing in the rain. Needless to say, it was a lesson.

I took the holeshot from the last row and went through 1, then 1 a, and was like, ok, i have to take it easy. Ride at 80% and don't lean too hard. I hit the pavement transition in turn 2 and next thing I know the bike is just sliding away from me towards the air fence. The bike hit the air fence with both wheels flat and I came sliding into home plate right to it. I picked it up, yelled at the marshal that it wasn't leaking anything and get out of my way. I reset the ignition and continued on my way and ended up like 3rd or second to last. Every time I went to lean it felt like the bike was going to fall over. I wasn't comfortable at all and the tires just didn't feel right. They were used pilot radial rains and I had them for 2 years. So it was either my head, them or both but I just cruised around for the rest of the race.

Then race 14 came up. It looked like it was going to stay wet but dried up right before it and I was still on my rains. So I went out there and discovered the entire race line was dry. I ended frying them and slipped and slid around. I was in 4th for a while but did not feel safe so I just backed off and finshed last which was absolutely the worst but I didn't care. I cooked my rains though and felt like I was riding on pads of butter.

Saturday was raining in the morning so I slept insince I didnt feel like practicing in the rain. The sun came out and it dried up in time for race 1. I pulled the holeshot and Rick breen passes me in 9 but carries so much speed that he goes wide in 10. I take the straight line going for 11 and he crosses back over and hits me in my swingarm with his front wheel and sends us both into the grass and across to the nascar track. I ended up 6th in that race and was pissed. Breen then had the balls to wait at the pit out and start yelling at me. Saying dont ever disrespect me like that since I had my hand up like what was that after he hit me. Running at the mouth like a jerkoff tellin me it was rick doucettes bike. Thats nice. This is my bike. ANy respect I might have had for him is long gone. I was going to be nice and say hey, we're both still standing but he wanted to be a cock. He can go fug himself. And Raymond Jones and a few others that saw the whole thing were like I had the right of way and it was his fault for hitting me. That guy is just a prick. Someone else said that they think he's on steroids and thats his attitude problem. what a jerk. He doesn't even belong in the Am class anymore but he won't move to expert since he wants the AM titles. Meanwhile he's running 1:15's with the rest of us in the front running 1:17's and 1:18's.

Race 6 I took 4th and was up to 3rd at one point but went a little hot into 3 and ran wide and got passed. But I ran a 1:17.6 so I can't complain too much. That's my best time yet.

Race 10 was almost a repeat of 6. This 15 yr old shane narbone turned 16 and was out there gsxr 600. He almost clipped my front wheel going into 1 off the straightaway. Spooked the hell out of me and I had to get hard on the front breaks to keep him from taking out my front wheel. That happened and I was like, I'm not getting beat by a 16 yr old so I passed him back in 12 which is a very tight and sketchy place to pass but I have done it a number of times for position on the last or next to last lap and made it stick. And that was where things ended up.

I ended up with two 4ths a 6th and two other non-mentionables. But I had lower lap times and an overall lowest lap time yet, so I guess thats some redemption.

Yup, I def perfer the dry weather. But it was def an experience.

Oh, and before I forget. Congrats to Jay (hessogood) for a great weekend. He had some great races and took home several 1st place trophies. And he also avoided getting beat by a pretty good looking Canadian chick on a 600RR though it was close. At least he got a calendar with some hot racing babes out of it. I still want a piece of ms. january.

I'll post up some pictures when the photographer gets them up.

NE/Mid-Atlantic CCS/ASRA #973
2006 NE CCS/LRRS Amateur Champion
MW SuperSport, MW Superbike, MW Grand Prix, HW SuperSport, HW Superbike, UNL SuperSport, UNL Superbike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 11:56 AM

First time, eh? Sounds like you may have fallen victim to not resetting your suspension. I've had my knee down on rains (on an F2) so they stick pretty well. The trick is softening up your suspension to allow quicker (and greater) weight transfer from wheel to wheel. It's kind of a sliding scale, more grip = stiffer suspension, less grip = softer suspension. The same kind of holds true from track to track in the dry, but in a full wet situation it is really dramatic.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 12:05 PM

Congrats on an adventuresome race weekend.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 12:48 PM
Superbike racer

Sorry I missed it. I looked at the race results online and figured it had to have rained based on the lap times. I also noticed you didn't do so well in the wet.

I also hate the rain, but I seem to do pretty well in it. All but one of my 1st place finishes this year have been in the rain. Also, my only crash was also a turn two crash in the rain :)

I have a set of Dunlop rains I am willing to sell you. They have 5 wet races on them and are in excellent condition. They have only been used in full wet conditions.

CCS EX#100
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 12:52 PM
Superbike racer

From what I understand Rick Breen is staying in the AM class so that he can compete as an AM at the R.O.C. in October. Although he is kicking everyone's ass in the AM and running times of the faster experts he has every right to want to finish this season as an AM. He will win a few LRRS Championships and will most likely do pretty well at the ROC. His behavior is BS but that is a different topic.

CCS EX#100
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

I would do the same thing to be honest. I am not really protesting him staying in the AM Class as much I am his shite attitude. I can understand wanting to start a series and complete it for championship points, recognition and sponsors. Not to mention being able to race as an AM in Florida. I still think that he doesn't belong in the class but it makes things difficult points wise by moving up. That is why I was trying to avoid the novice class at the start of the season since I knew this was going to happen. If I would have started in the AM class I would have a lot more points in the AM class right now.

MW SuperSport, MW Superbike, MW Grand Prix, HW SuperSport, HW Superbike, UNL SuperSport, UNL Superbike

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 11:39 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

The weather up there sucked, but it turned out to be a pretty good weekend for myself. I went out my first race saturday on my new dunlop DOTs and took the holeshot with both wheels pushing coming past turn one. Held it for almost two laps till the back end started spinning and sliding all over the place. Ended that one with a 4th place. Switched up to the pirelli intermediates for the semi-dry semi-wet conditions and absolutely loved them. I tend to do really well in the rain, and these tires worked out great, even though they already had a bit of time on them. I took a third in my next race and second in the last race. Next day I came off with a first place and a second place. Times are dropping and as I sit here with my entry form, I'm wondering if I should be bumping up to AM or not.....I want to, but at the same time just realizing now that I am eligable for contingency, that money from the next weekend could be the deciding factor on whether I make it down to Florida in october or not.

Onedwn, I registered on Pirelli's website yesterday, what other forms do I have to fill out for the other vendors? Will this past weekend get me payouts? Can you hit me up with a PM of what I need to do, or who I need to contact, I'm a little lost.

Jay Holland
Low Down Racing - center garage #6
LRRS / CCS / WERA # 949
Team Bridgestone
Underground Supercycle

Anyone can finance a sportbike, very few will ever be riders.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 05:41 PM
Superbike racer

hess
i feel your pain. during my rookie year i didn't fill out contigency forms and missed out on at least $500 in tire money.

you need to submit a form to the dudes in the Tech garage.

http://ccsracing.com/

claim forms must be turned in before the race weekend.

here is the form you need to submit

http://www.formulausa.com/ccs/contin...0form%2005.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hessogood
The weather up there sucked, but it turned out to be a pretty good weekend for myself. I went out my first race saturday on my new dunlop DOTs and took the holeshot with both wheels pushing coming past turn one. Held it for almost two laps till the back end started spinning and sliding all over the place. Ended that one with a 4th place. Switched up to the pirelli intermediates for the semi-dry semi-wet conditions and absolutely loved them. I tend to do really well in the rain, and these tires worked out great, even though they already had a bit of time on them. I took a third in my next race and second in the last race. Next day I came off with a first place and a second place. Times are dropping and as I sit here with my entry form, I'm wondering if I should be bumping up to AM or not.....I want to, but at the same time just realizing now that I am eligable for contingency, that money from the next weekend could be the deciding factor on whether I make it down to Florida in october or not.

Onedwn, I registered on Pirelli's website yesterday, what other forms do I have to fill out for the other vendors? Will this past weekend get me payouts? Can you hit me up with a PM of what I need to do, or who I need to contact, I'm a little lost.

CCS EX#100
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 10:35 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Thanks Jim. Eric got me to fill out that form and drop it at tech this past weekend. I'm wondering what else I need to go through with the tire companies, if there's anything I have to fill out with them and how I get the tire money. I need to find out if some of the other vendors pay out novice, like vortex and hotbodies.

Jay Holland
Low Down Racing - center garage #6
LRRS / CCS / WERA # 949
Team Bridgestone
Underground Supercycle

Anyone can finance a sportbike, very few will ever be riders.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

they should pay out. But I have not seen any checks from them yet. But as I mentioned to you, there seems to have been an issue with the submission of novice results to companies for contingecy. I am personally going to tabulate my results and send them in to Hotbodies, Vortex and VP.

For Hotbodies you need to go to their site and register with them. Drop Roger and email and let him know the situation and that you have been running their stuff all season. They seem pretty reasonable over there so it shouldn't be an issue.

For Vortex, I emailed them and they put me on their list. Just go to the site and give them a shout. But I think alot of these contingency forms are on the ccsracing.com site.

VP is slow form what I hear. And you are supposed to be buying 10 gallons from them a shot but no one does that. The VP guy usually writes your name down so he recongizes it when the forms come in.

This stuff take a bit of keeping up on from what I've noticed. Might be a bit different with the AM class. Give you something to shoot for ;-)

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Here is the photo sequence of sh!t going wrong....The first page is the start where you see my lead going into turn 1 ( I started from the last row) -middle picture, middle row....Then with the second link, bottom row last picture was the continuation from the first link, is where it all goes wrong...LOL... At least it's on film! There are a few others of me on two wheels in there as well.

Turn 1 Start
https://secure1.eyeselect.com/cgi-bi...ge=9&start=990

close up crash sequence
https://secure1.eyeselect.com/cgi-bi...ge=9&start=909

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page