anyone going to buttonwillow this monday?? - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
anyone going to buttonwillow this monday??

first time at the track this coming monday - can't wait. got the "what to bring/do" from "take it 2 track" website. any tips on the buttonwillow circuit? anyone here going there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 04:14 PM
cvlighthouse

I went there on Monday and Tuesday. It was a blast! You will need a lots of water, it's going to be hot! Bring cooler w/ ice. Dringk one water bottle after each session. Tape your lights up and remove the mirrors (blue long mask tape doesn't leave gunk behind). Lube your chain and check it for slack. Check your oil. Make sure you have distilled water and or water wetter coolant. Check your tire presure cold. About 30 psi if your running pilot powers or sim. More pressure if your tires aren't brand new. A tinted visor with sunglasses works good under the scorching sun. Suntan lotion for when your leathers are off and for your face. Shorts and flipflops to walk around in. Camera for pics. Tools just in case. Here is a lap at Buttonwillow that I did on my first track day there. Have fun!

www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Buttonwillow-05
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-27-2005, 12:25 AM
Pocketbike Racer

I'll be there on Monday....
Come say hello.... I'll be on the red R1.

Brian

2005 Yamaha R1 Haga Replica
Ohlins Rear Shock / Fork Tube Springs / Steering Damper
STM Slipper Clutch
Akrapovic Carbon/Ti Exhaust
PCIII
520 DID EVR3 Conversion
AFAM Sprockets -1/+2
Vortex Rearsets GP Shift
Pazzo Levers
Galfer SS Brake Lines
Acumen DG8 Gear Indicator
Speedoheler
Pirelli Diablo Supercorsas
Greggs Customs Flushmounts
Graves Frame/Spool/Clutch Sliders
Pitbull Stands

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-27-2005, 01:15 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'l be there too. B group. Will be looking for shade to share (actually I'll bring some but want to meet others from the board).

Pablo...2004 cbr600rr

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

i'll see you guys there. i'm in the beginner group with a red/black rr. thanks for the info cvlight. great video too cv.

Last edited by e^2(PI)i; 08-28-2005 at 07:07 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 11:58 PM
Moto GP Racer

I'm bringing a friend who'll share my bike. she'll be in the C group with you.

Pablo...2004 cbr600rr

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 11:32 AM

So'd you guys have fun? Crazy afternoon with two bikes going up in flames!!!!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 11:54 AM
cvlighthouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrwantr
So'd you guys have fun? Crazy afternoon with two bikes going up in flames!!!!
Please do tell...
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvlighthouse
Please do tell...
Well seems like something always happens right after lunch. People have sat for a bit, ate and seem to lose concentration.

First one happened in turn 1. Older guy (65 i heard) lowsided his GSXR and the guy behind him didn't have anywhere to go. He ran over him and then crashed his R1. The GSXR had just been filled with race gas and must have overflowed or the cap came off. Burst into flames and totally burnt down. Flames were about 10-15 feet high probably. Burned for probably 5-10 min before getting put out. It was VERY hot. I helped put it out after stopping. Was pretty impressive. Even worse was I heard the older guy broke his pelvis.

Second one, the guy (very quick) spun it up over the top of the hill in turn 4, stayed on the gas and lowsided (good thing as usually it's a high side there) and the bike started on fire. This one was put out pretty quickly though as it was closer to a cornerworker station.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 12:06 PM
cvlighthouse

WOW.. what groups were these guys rinning in?
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 12:07 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by e^2(PI)i
i'll see you guys there. i'm in the beginner group with a red/black rr. thanks for the info cvlight. great video too cv.
we were pitted across from each other! damn it. every time I looked up you werent there. I was preoccupied with my friend who was on my bike in the C group as well (red/black rr too). Actually, I was preoccupied with my bike...

ibvosko lowsided in the Off-Ramp with minor damage early in the day. IN the afternoon going into Sunrise the rider directly in front of him tucked his front wheel and Bryan (ibvosko) ran him over, then cartwheeled in to the kittylitter. The other bike caught fire (race gas, supposedly caused this). Looked like a gixxer. Bryan now has race plastics...

There was another bike up in flames-was another gixxer running race gas that caught fire. Was one fast mo-fo too. The control riders had seen him come out of Sunset with a massive tankslapper, he stayed hard on the gas and rode it slapping right through the front straight past the start tower. Never crashed from that. he tossed the bike up in Cotton Corners.

I had a great time. I finally have an idea what my lap times were although not accurate. I was running faster than the guys next to me one session and they were running 2:21's so I was probably a couple seconds or more faster than them. I'll just say I run 2:20's at BW.

My friend hadnt been on a street bike in 4 years, nor on a track in as long. She'd never ridden my bike until she threw a leg over starting the first session. Needless to say she had a blast.

Had I known there was going to be a couple bonfires I would have brought marshmellows...

Pablo...2004 cbr600rr

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 12:09 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvlighthouse
WOW.. what groups were these guys rinning in?
beat me to it Fred!

the second fire was in the A group. He was a racer from AZ based on the stickers on his bike. The first was ibvosko (Bryan) in the B group. Bryans first crash was in the A group though, he came down a group for the afternoon.

Pablo...2004 cbr600rr

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 12:21 PM
cvlighthouse

Pictures?

lol I got my time down to a 2:23 (from a 2:30) last Monday. Then the next day (Tues.) we ran the track backwards and I ran a 2:28. My buddy had done a 2:25 on his R1. Thank God we ran it backwards because my right side of my tire was cooked and down to the wear bar. I almost had a nasty highside going up the grapevine when the rear stepped out on Monday. Funny thing is that it stepped out on the left side. It must have been because that side of the tire was the "cold" side. Thank god for the GPR, I was able to keep er under control.

I ended up running off track both days. Monday I ran off at sunrise (last turn) but recovered no problem. I had been thrown off by a bunch of riders that went off track at star Mazda, after I passed them I got on the throttle and ended up coming in to hot at sunrise.

Tuesday "backwards day" going into star Mazda the opposite direction, I missed a downshift and coasted into the dirt. Upon turning my bike back onto track the front dug in and I ended up dropping her in the dirt. Broke a Blinker and some slight cracks in the front and left side faring. I picked her up and removed the key so I could re-start and finished out the session.... Fun times!
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 12:41 PM
Moto GP Racer

I got lots of pics but they're on my friends camera. I'll post up when I can get them...oh and Kent (palomarpics.net) got some great pics too. I'll post one or two of those when they're up too. there's a couple of me supermoto style (just for kicks on the first few laps of first session, on brand new tires) with my foot out...thats for my supermoto buddy.

We didnt run Star Mazda turn, we ran the Sweeper.

I was getting light headshake all day. In places I never knew had dips or bumps! didnt bother me too much though, just stayed on the gas. Actually got an accidental wheelie over wheelie hill too...oops. Didnt get any slipping though. the brand new powers I mounted saturday look well used with only 200 miles on them (bike ran both B and C groups).

Glad you recovered your near misses...

Pablo...2004 cbr600rr

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantablo
I the brand new powers I mounted saturday look well used with only 200 miles on them (bike ran both B and C groups).

The last two trackdays on my power races have put 476 miles on them....lol They were quite worn before this day....mid to end they were shot and looked like a slick on the sides...lol
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I got I was getting light headshake all day. In places I never knew had dips or bumps! ...
Where were you getting it? I get it at the bottom of lost hills (the dip where you're transitioning from being leaned over to the right at the top...to left leading to the left on the short straight)...and then exiting sunset on the front straight...actually can get it a couple places on the front straight....oh and the wheelie hill....=)
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 04:52 PM
Moto GP Racer

yep-wheelie hill, the front straight-like near the start tower(!?), driving out of Off-Ramp where the dip is, and off Lost Hill where you were getting it.

I actually got a wheelie on wheelie hill, without trying. that gave me a bit of shake too.

One time I took a bad line through the Sweeper and ended up wide onto the raised rumble strip. Got headshake that continued across the track, onto the next rumble strip (shake didnt go away early enough for me to correct and get lined up right), then onto the next rumble strip...slight headshake the entire time. pu-cker.

Pablo...2004 cbr600rr

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 05:52 PM

Quote:
yep-wheelie hill, the front straight-like near the start tower(!?), driving out of Off-Ramp where the dip is, and off Lost Hill where you were getting it.

I actually got a wheelie on wheelie hill, without trying. that gave me a bit of shake too.

One time I took a bad line through the Sweeper and ended up wide onto the raised rumble strip. Got headshake that continued across the track, onto the next rumble strip (shake didnt go away early enough for me to correct and get lined up right), then onto the next rumble strip...slight headshake the entire time. pu-cker.

Yep...those are all the usual places.. =)
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

hey guys... had a good time at buttonwillow..... met brian with the red R1.. great guy.. didn't met pablo.. probably saw him there but didn't know. anyway, it was hot as hell there but wouldn't trade the experience.. the marshalls in takeit2tracks are great.. you ask them questions.. ask them to follow you.. one marshall passed me up in one session and wave me to follow... it was awesome... now i'm probably going back to same track on sept 16th (80% sure)... i heard "trackdays" are sponsoring that date..... i'm addicted..
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 03:19 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Wow... After readng this thread, sounds like everyone knows that I popped the R1's cherry this weekend at Buttonwillow...

I was running 2:10-11's all morning in the A group and in the last session before lunch got a little over confident on the exit of 2 where it goes off camber... simple lowside at full lean angle, felt like I fell out of bed in the morning... lucky!

After lunch, I decided to "take it easy" and just have fun... dropped down to B for the afternoon, and on like the 4th lap of the 1st session after lunch, it all went to hell... literally. The 65 year old on the Gixxer was quick, so I didn't want to spook him and stayed about 15 yards back for a lap. I wasn't really even planning on passing him as some of his lines were really unpredictable. On the way into turn 1 (high speed left hander).... his entry was too tight and he lost the front HARD, sending both his bike and him accross the track... although I tried to tighten my line to miss him on the inside, he slid up the track and directly under my front wheel.... I was looking where I wanted to be, but he wasn't sliding off track, more up the track.

I went over the bars probably 75+ and tumbled into the dirt... when I got up in the cloud of smoke, I checked on the old guy... he was awake, but in too much pain to move, when I saw his bike on fire I asked if he could crawl towards me cause I thought his bike was gonna explode, but he was hurting too much to move...

I hope the old guy heals well and soon... This could have happened to anyone on the track and thats a tough injury to come back from at his age.

Unbelievably, I am 100% today, and aside from a sore shoulder - ready to get back on the horse.

Although the bike is bruised, everything is straight and I will only have to replace 1 fairing before getting her back on the track.

I'll post pics from Kent (Palomar Pics) and Predikt (Ryan) when they are posted.

Be safe out there... I feel LUCKY. But I hope the old man recovers.

Great work by Take It To The Track with the ambulances, corner workers and control riders, they kept the down time to an absolute minimum and saved our asses.

Good to meet up with Predikt (our next Rossi), Pantablo (Mr. Buttonwillow), RRwantrr (dude's fast) and all - THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT!

Brian

STM Slipper Clutch
PCIII
520 DID EVR3 Conversion
AFAM Sprockets -1/+2
Vortex Rearsets GP Shift
Pazzo Levers
Galfer SS Brake Lines
Speedoheler
Pitbull Stands

Last edited by ibvosko; 08-31-2005 at 03:31 AM.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 11:55 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibvosko
Pantablo (Mr. Buttonwillow)
hahaha...
Good to meet you too brian (not bryan like I thought...sorry). 2:10 is fast. glad you're feeling good. I'm sore all over from serious contersteering...

Pablo...2004 cbr600rr

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 05:46 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Pablo -

Let me know when you're heading back....
Don't worry, I promise to stay out of the way!!

Best,
Brian

STM Slipper Clutch
PCIII
520 DID EVR3 Conversion
AFAM Sprockets -1/+2
Vortex Rearsets GP Shift
Pazzo Levers
Galfer SS Brake Lines
Speedoheler
Pitbull Stands
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page