Local track? - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Local track?

I am thinking about buying some land and having my own track built. The problem is, a motorcycle race track isn't exactly a good monetary investment, unless I can make a business out of it. My question is this, if someone built and owned a private track that was well maintained, would you pay to race on it? My idea is to have a straight away a little longer than a 1/4 mile for the drag guys, but have the rest twisties. I just need some input, like to get an idea of how well I could sell the idea to local racers. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 03:51 PM

If you've got the resources to make it so - I will be there at least once a month and can bring many riders with me whenever possible.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 03:58 PM

Track day organizations rent tracks all the time... Make it a 1.5 to 2 miles and you could host track days every weekend (so cal tracks get $2500/day).

Don't forget insurance and maintenance costs....

I've given it thought, but I don't see how you can buy land and build a track with facilities for public access for under $300k.

... but if you have that kinda money - God bless!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 10:34 PM

Making a track would be extremely expensive. maybe 4-5 million for pavement since gas prices are through the roof, not too sure though. dont quote me on it though. It is however very expensive ive read a post about it on another forum.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 06:46 AM

Jennings was around $2M to buy and build about 4 or 5 years ago.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 06:58 AM

Wow. That seems so much lower than I'd have expected. As an investment you really have to think twice. I'd say if you were lucky enough to get a core group as strong as Jennings has you would do pretty well. That is, of course, if you kept it motorcycle only. If you went with cars too, your initial return might be higher but your upkeep would be a lot more.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 07:35 AM
Superbike racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trik
Track day organizations rent tracks all the time... Make it a 1.5 to 2 miles and you could host track days every weekend (so cal tracks get $2500/day).
Damn NHIS gets around $7,000 for the day and I have been told VIR is closer to $20,000

CCS EX#100
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 07:54 AM

There's a lot to consider: Insurance is a major concern, design, pavement, access, buildings, pits, cornerworkers, ambulance service, landscaping - just a whole lot to consider. Ideally you'd have at least $6 or $7M (todays prices) to throw at it (guessing there) and build a facility capable of attracting CCS or other racing organizations. Definitely not something you go cheap on. The more quality and organization you have the more people you attract.

A far as rider support from Florida goes Lakeland is about as good as you can get - you'd get draw from Tampa, Orlando, Daytona and even Miami. If the track is built as good or better than Jennings then the local guys would likely go to Lakeland rather than Jennings. Could have some serious impact to their business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page