Tires Still okay? - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tires Still okay?

Hello Everyone,

I've been lurking on the forums trying to learn as much as I can to avoid asking too many silly questions. I'm trying to figure out whether my tires are okay for another track day. I had a fresh set of 208GPA's on my 03' 600RR for a track day at Barber a couple of weekends ago. I had 7 sessions (so I assume 7 heat cycles?) on the tires. I was running 30psi front & back. The track was HOT. It was high 90's in the shade that day. I ride in the mid to front pack in the Intermediate class with NESBA & I'm not getting passed by anybody. I'm moving pretty well...not sure about lap times & getting it leaned over hard. I'm pretty hard on the brakes & do a lot of my passing out braking others since my stock gearing leaves my acceleration a bit lacking. The tires worked amazingly well; I never had anything but great feedback from them & they stuck like glue. I think I may have 150 miles of hot laps on them. I haven't ridden the bike since, so the only miles on the tires are from the track day (work, family & a curious lack of desire to street ride anymore seems to have set in since starting to do track days ). I have another track day on the 10th of September at CMP & I want to make sure the tires are still okay for another full track day. I have NO modifications done to the bike yet aside from removing some signals & crap. I weigh about 160lbs with gear.

Based on what I've read elsewhere on the forums, I have a set of Pilot Powers on the way because they apparently last much longer. No complaints against the Dunlops mind you...but the tires look pretty rough after the one track day. I need to resize some pictures I took of the tires after to post them (I'm a computer retard & need my wife's help) so that you guys can see what they look like & maybe help base your opinions.

Anyways, are the Dunlop's good for another day or should I mount a fresh set of Pilot Powers & be done with it?

Thanks in advance to all,

Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 12:17 PM
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware

Feedback Score: 18 reviews
keep in mind the pilot powers are a street/trackday tire where the gpa's are close to a DOT race tire... grip will be very different.

HOOORRRAAAYYYY FOR BOOOOOTTIEES!!!

BALALALALALA OMG TERRORIST!!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 12:47 PM

You should be able to get at least 2 trackdays out of them. I ran my last set 3 trackdays and I run in the mid to front of the fast groups. Though... that 3rd track day, all rubber was gone and they actually started splitting :).

Feel them out. They'll start sliding once they have nothing left.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 02:17 PM

Are these the US GPs or the British? The US I can get 2 days out of, after that they're toast. The British GPAs last longer.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 03:14 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yeah, the us tires don't last as long. I get 6 or 7 sessions out of a rear. British made ones last longer. CHeck the sidewall, it will tell you where it was made, the us is softer. Assuming you still have tread on them, they should be fine. THey won't have quite the grip they had last time, but WAY better than new pilot powers
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies so far guys. I'm pretty sure they're US made ones. There's plenty of tread on them, but they look pretty beat.

I'm a little surprised to be hearing that the Pilot Powers are no good compared to the GPA's. I was doing a lot of reading in the tire section & everyone was raving about them.

Still looking for more input.

thanks.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 08:59 AM

It also depends largely on the track, doesn't it? Two of my local tracks EAT tires, but my favourite, Kyalami, is pretty easy on tires (and knee-sliders! ;) ).
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKDXKID
thanks for the replies so far guys. I'm pretty sure they're US made ones. There's plenty of tread on them, but they look pretty beat.

I'm a little surprised to be hearing that the Pilot Powers are no good compared to the GPA's. I was doing a lot of reading in the tire section & everyone was raving about them.

thanks.
you just have to consider the source when your talking about tires, cause if you listen to someone who is nowhere near the limit of the tires they will rave about how wonderful they are. They all feel pretty similiar when they aren't sliding, you know what i mean
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Well, Here's the update. I got to CMP for the track day on Saturday & started with the fresh set of Pilot Powers. Got them scrubbed in the first session & started giviner in the second session. They felt okay, but once I started pushing it, they were all over the place. They were slipping in a bunch of the turns & wound up stepping out on me in each of the double apexes of turn 4/5, then in 6 & finally at the last right hander coming onto the start/finish straight. To say that I was unhappy with this would be a tremendous understatement. During the next couple of sessions I tried alternating between staying in second gear for these corners & trying to be lighter on the throttle & coming into them in third so that the rpms were down to keep them from spinning/stepping out on me. Neither was very satisfying. I would either be nervous about being in second or pissed that I couldn't get a good drive in third. My solution was kind of a compromise between the two. On the corners that I was really nervous about stepping out, I would come in to them in third & as soon as the bike was close to upright I would bang it down into second to get the rpms up then shift quickly to third & so on. It seemed to work pretty well but I was definitely NOT happy with the Pilot Powers.

As a reference to my pace; NESBA stages in two lanes. The left lane is the faster one & the closer to the front you stage, the faster you're supposed to be. I ride in the Intermediate Group & I would stage in the left lane about 8 bikes back. This put me at the back of the first group to get on the track. This is where I like to be because I like having to chase bikes down. In each session, I would chase everyone down until I was behind the group control rider. He would spot me & pick up the pace. I would ride on his ass for a few laps, then he would wave me by to shadow & watch me for the rest of the session. I'd never see any of the guys I passed & would catch up & lap some of the slower traffic. At the end of the sessions, I'd stop & talk to the control rider looking for input. He was very pleased with my form, lines etc & said that at this point, I can either be the fast guy in Intermediate or the slow guy in the Advanced Class. At this point, my bike isn't set up for the advanced class, so I'm opting to get a little more experience in the "I" class first.

Anyways, at the lunch break, I talked to a bunch of people about tires & decided to have a set of Dunlop slicks mounted between sessions in the afternoon. Please understand that I don't think I'm a Hero & a lot of guys are going a lot faster than me on DOT race tires. My biggest reason for going with the slicks was because everyone was telling me that I'll get a lot more life out of them than with the DOT's. I'm not a rich man & my wife was starting to add up the costs of these track days & wasn't too happy with the bill for tires. My wife & I also made a deal that weekend. If I agreed to take my bike off the street completely, then she would fully support my new addiction. I took about a nanosecond to decide. So, for $270, I got the Dunlop slicks mounted & balanced (Great price- thanks NESBA)

The next session I took it easy for a few laps to get them scrubbed in (I was warned that they take longer to heat up & will initially feel pretty slippery). Once I started picking up the pace, I was absolutely astounded at how much better they gripped than the Pilot Powers. I was getting hauled over at ever greater lean angles & was running through the turns several MPH faster. The biggest surprise came in the turn 4/5 double appex that was giving me fits earlier. I had so much confidence in these new tires, that I was getting thru these turns at a high enough RPM in Third that I was getting the same drive out of the corners as I was in second earlier in the day when I was risking having the rear step out on me at any moment. All I can say is WOW!

The bummer came when I got off the track after that session & my wife told me it was time to start packing up. I had lost all track of time & was convinced in my head that I had at least one more session before the end of the day. :-(

I am thrilled with the slicks & can't wait to run them at VIR next month. We're going to go for Sunday & Monday. Sunday will be the Patriot course & MOnday is the full course. I CAN'T WAIT!!!

I've decided that after the VIR weekend, I'm probably done for the season & will sell my street bike. I'm going to be looking for a fully prepped race bike in the off season to buy so that I can start next season off right. I'm really interested in getting into racing but I'm going to have to wait & see about financing & support from my wife in that regard. At the very least, I will be running at least one track day weekend a month & will be doing 2 day events instead of the Saturday only's I've done this year. I am hooked really badly & can't get enough of the track. I still can't believe that I didn't even hesitate to give up street riding in exchange for full support doing track days...

Anyways, thanks for listening everyone.

Have a great day,

Daniel
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

trying to get input so BUMP. :-)
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 07:54 AM
Superbike racer

Quote:

thanks.
You can get two days out of a set of 208GPA's. To be honest a newbie may even get three days. I would buy some warmers and put them on between sessions. It will reduce the heat cycles.

CCS EX#100
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 08:29 AM

welcome to the addiction. Dunlops rule!!! You may have spent a lot of loot on tires that weekend, but you did get a back to back comparison on tires. You have to consider though, that you compared tires that are in two different categories really. THe michilen power races Im sure are much better than the pilot powers, but dunlops for me are the way to go.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx510
welcome to the addiction. Dunlops rule!!! You may have spent a lot of loot on tires that weekend, but you did get a back to back comparison on tires. You have to consider though, that you compared tires that are in two different categories really. THe michilen power races Im sure are much better than the pilot powers, but dunlops for me are the way to go.

Thanks. I know that the Dunlop slicks are in a totally different class, so certainly not fair to compare the two. I was really disappointed with the Pilot Powers even compared to the GPA's. I'm thinking I'm sticking with Dunlops from now on. I've had good luck with them & since their also a NESBA sponser, we get a good deal on them at the track.

I'm really stoked about doing a full weekend at VIR next month on a fresh set of slicks. I rode the Patriot course on my first track day, so that will be like an old friend compared to the full course on the Monday & every other course that I've been to for the first time this season.

Daniel
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 02:29 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

i found that the pilot race m2's are a great dot tire. i have never ran with dunlops but i have seen guys run low 24's at jenningsGP on the pilot powers.

06 R6 Raven
(street bike)
05 600rr
(racing: full akrapovic titanium, PCIII USB, vortex clipons/rear sets, ebc pads, galfer braided lines, 520 kit, bmc air filters, puig double bubble, scotts damper, yoyodine slipper clutch, forks resprung, shock rebuild)
03 dodge ram

"Ride anywhere and everywhere."
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDROWN
i found that the pilot race m2's are a great dot tire. i have never ran with dunlops but i have seen guys run low 24's at jenningsGP on the pilot powers.

Thats pretty impressive.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 11:50 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
I was really disappointed with the Pilot Powers even compared to the GPA's.

you can't compare (at all) a street tire to a race tire. Of course you were disappointed-the Pilot Power wont give you the same grip as the Dunlop race tire you started on. You were probably pushing the street tires to run as hot a lap as you were on your race tire.

the pilot powers are a GREAT tire, probably the best street tire IMO. I run them pretty hard on the track too and if I needed any more grip I'd have to go with DOT's.

Pablo...2004 cbr600rr

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page