18 Hours of Driving in 2 Days and 1 SICK Day at VIR - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
18 Hours of Driving in 2 Days and 1 SICK Day at VIR

VIR with Team ProMotion absolutely kicked ass this weekend. My eyes are bloodshot, my muscles ache, and I am in a complete fog at my desk as I type. I went through 15 gallons of gas and absolutely fried a rear tire. I did 400+ laps. I ate kickass barbeque. I met some really cool people there from the board there. I spent way too much money. And I loved every minute of it.

I only wish it wasn't 9 hours away or I'd be down there much more. VIR is truly a world class track and being able to ride the same track the AMA guys were on last weekend was just phenomenal. I can't wait till some day when I get the chance to race there. At 1:39 on my 600 thats a far departure from the AMA guys 1:26's on their 1000's, but in the amateur world it's pretty upstanding, especially for being out there for the first time. And I also laid that time down somewhere around lap 399 with a beveled rear tire. Makes me wonder what I could do with a fresh start and a fresh set of slicks.

I had a lot of fun riding with a few of the guys out there and I wish I could have done more of it but due to the speed and the "dissapearing" turns it makes it a pretty tough course to lead people around on. And then on top of that we were all getting so sore and wore out by mid-afternoon. That course is really physical and I just couldn't get enough of the main straight hitting it off the rev-limiter in 6 gear as we came through that right hand kink near the start finish.

Big ups to EZ for coming out with the mad smoker. I managed to get half a rack of ribs before they were all gone. I guess thats what I get for not setting up in the same area. But that was awesome and he mentioned that the owner Glen of TPM said something about bringing it back out to more events. That sounds great to me? Do I hear the possibility of barbeque at Caroline Motorsports Park in November?

All in all what a great memorial day weekend. The only thing that could have been better would of been a double header and another day off of work. But who's complaining!

NE/Mid-Atlantic CCS/ASRA #973
2006 NE CCS/LRRS Amateur Champion
MW SuperSport, MW Superbike, MW Grand Prix, HW SuperSport, HW Superbike, UNL SuperSport, UNL Superbike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 12:03 PM
World Superbike Racer

It was great meeting you man! I too had a blast at VIR. I was having hard time switching my brain from coaching white group to riding in blue good and found I was about 6 sec off my average lap times.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 12:10 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Same here. It was good to meet you Eric and fun to watch you a Dafan play on the last blue session. You guys were haaaauuuulin. Hopefully we'll see you at CMP in November

Eazy, great call on the BBQ. That stuff was AWESOME.

Always a good time to hang out with the boys and ride the bikes.

Fire Coming Out Of The Monkeys Head

Last edited by dayrock; 09-06-2005 at 02:11 PM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Where were you watching from? The fence by the concession area? I was bummed when he pulled off the track since I had finally managed to pass him going into the carousel after half a dozen laps. I asked him why he pulled off and he was like, I was getting tired. You believe that! and that was my next to last session of the day. I had to goout and coach one last red group session and I couldn't even move my legs. Thankfully I almost ran out of gas and cut the session short.

Was also cool meeting you man. -ERIC

MW SuperSport, MW Superbike, MW Grand Prix, HW SuperSport, HW Superbike, UNL SuperSport, UNL Superbike

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 02:10 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

We were watching from the picnic table area. Pretty much at the apex of T3. You can see everyone going down to T1 and then up to T4.

I don't know how you and kevin did the whole coach and ride thing. I'm exhausted today from just riding at my measly pace and for 1/3 the number of sessions, lol.

Maybe it's all that BBQ you guys ate. Had some secret sauce in it that Erick whipped up... hahaha.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 05:32 PM
What ever its supposed to be....

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Help! I've fallen and I can't get up.

Well actually I'm just stuck in my recliner. My legs are so sore, I can't put down the foot rest.

Same here, It was great to see everyone again, and to meet even more people that I can TRY and keep up with. After Jennings, we'll all have to try and get a trackday or two in before Thanksgiving!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 05:38 PM
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware

Feedback Score: 18 reviews
ok i'm glad i'm not the only one that couldn't walk after the North course... god it's been almost 5 months since i've been there... definitely gotta get something in october or november.

HOOORRRAAAYYYY FOR BOOOOOTTIEES!!!

BALALALALALA OMG TERRORIST!!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 06:34 PM
World Superbike Racer

Here is my track schedule for the rest of the year.

- 25 Sept: Summit Point Shenandoah *Coaching
- 26 Sept: Summit Point Main *Running Pit Out
- 3 Oct: VIR North *Might be coaching
- 17 Oct: Summit Point Main *Running Pit Out
- 13 Nov: VIR Patriot
- 14 Nov: VIR North
- 26 Nov: CMP
- 27 Nov: CMP

* I might try and make it out to Pocono or Beaverun before the season is over.

Kevin
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 11:09 PM
Moto GP Racer

Well, I am going to try and make it to Oct3.
Hopefully Nov 26 &27

I have been off the bike too long and need to use Jennings as a warm up for the fall.

Signatures are stupid.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Well, I watched 2 wheel tuesday and went to sleep at 8pm after that and got up at 8am this morning. And my legs are still sore as hell. the first dozen or so steps after I get up are the worst. And to think I have to go do this again on Saturday at Pocono. LOL.. Well, I guess things could be worse. But I still have plenty of race take-offs so I'm ok for now.

I ate my pork straight up with no sauce. Didn't want to spoil anything. That chit was Deee-lish.

All this running sessions non-stop is just excellent practice for endurance racing. I also used to do biathalons and run cross-country so that might help a little but by the end of the day after chasing dafan around it hurt and was difficult to get myself from one side of the bike to the other. Thankfully the low fuel indicator started flashing at me and I was out of gas for the day. Can't believe that I went through 15 gallons of fuel.

I'm going to Pocono this Saturday the 10th to coach.
I am having a Ride & Rally Event the 17/18th
The 23rd I will be at Pocono again to coach
Sunday I think I might go to Shenandoah to coach since there is a race there I might do on October 9/10
Then from there I am not sure about the rest of the weekdays but for sure know we will be going to Carolina Motorsports Park over the Thanksgiving break.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Oh, Here's the link to the guy that was taking pictures. The site is copyright protected so if you want the image you have to control-alt-print screen in order to do a screen capture of the page. If you then paste it into photoshop or a word document you can crop it down to just the image. They sure took some nice shots though. With me being out there in all the groups they took 57 pictures of me! Damn!

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/...ont?b=1&c=03HV

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 12:06 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

You photo whore...

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Moto GP Racer

Derek, your bike looks great. I guess i will have to wax my primer grey RC so it looks OK next to your RR.

BTW, the guys from Pics of You rock.They are the least arrogant of all the photographers I have ever seen at the track (with exception of Snowman's crew - they rock too). They actually like their jobs

Signatures are stupid.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 08:26 PM

Yeah I had a good time. My friend that was with me running in the Blue group crashed in the first sesson so I just rode by myself and just tried to work on a few things and get faster. I feel it was a good day.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

I just looked at the WERA results and my times have me in 3rd place range in the Amatuer division. Fresh tires and another second could be second, but first was pulling 1:36's. A little ways to go to grab another 2.5-3 seconds but I'll tell you this much, I am itching to go back down there. I know next season I am going to aim to do a March event down there.

I am going to try to coach at Summit Point Shenandoah on 9/25 since I might race there next month.

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 12:38 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

You should see the other side, the one not in the pictures. I've gone with the traditional old school look and used duct tape to cover up the cracks in the tail. I think duct tape gives me 5hp or so, should be hitting the low 1:50's with it on... hahaha!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page