nesba-putnam - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
nesba-putnam

got a question. i want to start doing track days and my buddies are going this weekend to putnam, in. the question i have is im planning on going and doing the intro which is a free session in the morning. i was put on the waitlist though, any idea what my odds are for getting on the track?

dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 02:43 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
That's a tough question to answer, but I don't think I would risk coming all that way and then not get a chance to ride. I don't know your situation, so I won't suggest what everyone else does and tell you to just join and ride the whole day...

FWIW...I've done two track days with NESBA..(three total) and one at Putnam in July...I'm pretty sure they had a full group...(i think they allow 5) of intro riders on that day...

I'll be there both saturday and sunday...Hope you can make it.

I'd say your odds are 60/40 against being able to ride...two sessions isn't really enough anyways....

Later,
Doug

Last edited by Brutalrr; 09-06-2005 at 02:50 PM. Reason: odds...
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

yeah i know what you mean def. not enough but i would still like to check it out. i'll see how it goes

dave

hopefully will see you out there

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 03:15 PM

I'll be on a red and black '03....Number 336.. Good luck
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

thanks you too
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 08:36 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Who all made it to Putnam this weekend? And what class did you ride in?

Did you do it Dave?

Where did you pit Doug? I saw a red and black near the NESBA trailer on the track side of the pits?

I should have looked for this thread before I went...

It was my first time out on a track. I was on the white 600 with the "billy" red duct tape #690. Great time. I cant wait til next time and hopefully I wont mess up so many shifts down the straight. ;) Cant wait to see the photos at slider.com

Kevin

'83 Alfa Romeo Spider Charcoal (+/- 11,000 Miles)
'00 V-Star 1100 Maroon/Ivory | Cobra drag pipes | Jetted
'04 600RR Red/Black | Corsa III | Ohlins Shock | Ohlins Springs/Piston Kit | PCIII | Scotts Damper | CF Jardine Race SO | Vortex Rearsets | HRC Throttle | 520 Conversion -1/+1 | Galfer Brake Lines | Speedo Healer V4 | Jardine FE | Pro Grips | Short Stalk V
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 09:21 AM

Kevin,

I was pitted on the track side but further down near the "control tower."

I was in the "B" group.

This was my fourth Track day and was riding well...nearly got bumped and then disaster struck. I crashed coming out of Turn 2. Me and another guy on a sliver Gixxer where coming up on a guy who was going slow..very slow. I'm not sure what happened but the bike was leaned over pretty good and I'm thinking I may have touched the front brake...and that was that. The front end went out and the bike and myself went for a ride. I'm fine, but the bike needs some work.

The worst part of it was that I was pre-registered for Sunday and couldn't ride because my rear brake lever (which I never use) got snapped off and they wouldn't let me pass tech without a functioning rear brake...

My bike is no longer pretty...lots of work to do, but hopefully it'll be ready to go by October 15-16..Are you riding that event with NESBA?
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

her brutalrr, i was the other guy with the RR that was pretty much identical to yours. You asked me if i had an extra rear brake set. Hope you get the bike fixed soon

Kevin:
I was kind of near the Nesba trailer and i was on the track side. I rode with the B group. Great time and def. want to do it again
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

you guys got any videos or pictures? I'll post mine as soon as i get them all together from my buddies as well

dave
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 10:22 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

I was pitted next to this guy... http://imageevent.com/wingspan/nesba...ayatputnampark The pics of the fog in the morning are good. I will try to post a few pics as well. My camera was not up to the task of the track. I have a DV cam but no mount. I want to get a few other things before a mount.

I only did Sunday. Glad I did. My legs got a work out that's for sure.

I have signed up for the 16th and I am thinking about doing the 15th also. There aren't a lot of days left.

Sorry to hear about that Doug. I came up on a couple of riders like that too and it was intense. Glad you didn't get hurt. Four weeks to get it going. What other parts do you need?

Dave: I saw some 600's in the I and A groups but didn't see any in the B. But then again I was thinking about other things going on to the track. ;) Are you going to try to do the 15th/16th?

Kevin

'04 600RR Red/Black | Corsa III | Ohlins Shock | Ohlins Springs/Piston Kit | PCIII | Scotts Damper | CF Jardine Race SO | Vortex Rearsets | HRC Throttle | 520 Conversion -1/+1 | Galfer Brake Lines | Speedo Healer V4 | Jardine FE | Pro Grips | Short Stalk V
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

LTSrr: I was there on saturday... I would love to go but the problem is money... So if i can pull someting off i will be there on saturday but not looking too good for me... I also need a set of tires which sucks.

What tires do you guys run on the street, that i can use at the track as well. I used the Michelin Sports and they have never given a problem on the street or on the track.

Here are the 2 videos my buddy had on his GSXR that day
Vid #1
Vid #2

And yes he really needs to work on his lines!

dave

Last edited by piwko; 09-15-2005 at 10:38 AM.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 01:47 PM

Nice vids...I think that's me coming out of turn 2...on the red flag lap on video number two..You can just barely see me trying to pick the damn bike up...Sorry about that.

I'll be back for a little revenge on the 15th and 16th of October...If I can find a rear set for the bike..

I was running supercorsas...they had four trackdays on them. Not sure if that was one too many or not. I think the wreck had more to do with operator error.

Doug
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

hahaha nice, hopefully i'll see you out there

like i said i just need money for some tires and then for the track day. track day i think i can pull off but tires will be a problem

let you know once it gets closer if i'll be there
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 01:57 PM

I know a guy who will sell and mount a set of Pirelli Supercorsas...race take-offs for about $125..Of course you would have to get your bike the Southern Indiana..

Did you have any trouble getting into the Intro Class or did you end up riding the full day?
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

thats not a bad price... what shape are they in though? you think they will still do a track day?

I ended up getting into intro, and then of course ended up doing the whole day :)
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

btw the pictures are up from sliderphoto, some pretty cool ones. im going to get sucked into ordering one
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 03:08 PM

I'm not sure what shape the take-offs are in. According to the guy that sells them they are good for a couple of track days. I got a new set of Supercorsas installed/mounted for $265...and he came to my house to do it. Can't beat that.

sliderphoto only got a few of me...I guess because I wrecked on like the second afternoon session.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 03:22 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by piwko
What tires do you guys run on the street, that i can use at the track as well.
I just got a set of the diablo corsa's (nail in the original tires. Probably not a bad thing). They seem to do good as far as wear on the street and did well for me at the track. Not exactly Rossi though. If you can find a set of tires MD Racing might mount them at the track. You could email him. $20+/- no more than $30 a set.

I am going to check out the video at home tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutalrr
I'll be back for a little revenge on the 15th and 16th of October...If I can find a rear set for the bike..
Do you need a brake lever or the whole rearset? I have some spare parts. Not much though. No rearsets or brake levers... Is that all you are needing???

Kevin

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 03:28 PM

Yeah...I managed to find a front brake lever, but the right foot peg and rear brake lever both broke off when I wrecked...these seem to be difficult parts to find. If I can't find some soon, I may just order some aftermarket rear sets..

Oh yeah...both bar ends are MIA also. Another hard to find piece of bike hardware..
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Brutalrr:
you got an email for this guy about his take offs? I'll shoot him an email and ask him about the tires and go from what he tells me. Maybe i can get them from him and have MD mount both for me like LTSrr was saying

dave
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 07:02 PM
World Superbike Racer

This may be a dumb question, but when people are talking about getting thier tires mounted at the track, are they talking about on the rim and the bike or just the rim.

Wish I could have went to this trackday, but had to work, will be going to Putnam the last weekend of the month, with Cycle Options.

THE SECRET TO LIFE, ARE THE CHOICES WE MAKE!!
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 07:32 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Just the rim I believe. A lot cheaper that way. They are easy to get off and on. If any of you are at Putnam or wherever when I am there I could help.

Brutalrr... i have a bar end but only one. Make sure the rest of the parts in the clipon are still good. My weight was also broke after a wreck last fall (two weeks after watching the Oct NESBA day). Aftermarket barends are cheap and may include everything else needed but it may get rid of the weights.

Kevin

post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 07:34 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2ride
will be going to Putnam the last weekend of the month, with Cycle Options.
I might come out and watch for a while. I have my kids that weekend and have told them i would take them out to watch cometime.

Kevin

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 07:36 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutalrr
Yeah...I managed to find a front brake lever, but the right foot peg and rear brake lever both broke off when I wrecked...these seem to be difficult parts to find. If I can't find some soon, I may just order some aftermarket rear sets..

Oh yeah...both bar ends are MIA also. Another hard to find piece of bike hardware..
Also Bell's Honda in Georgetown did some pretty good prices for me in the spring when putting my bike together. Not that bad of a drive if time ran short.

Kevin

post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 08:56 PM

LTSrr...

I'm a moron when it comes to working on bikes. One of the corner workers handed me a bar end from my bike after the crash. It seemed like a fairly complicated component...not what I was expecting. I kept it but can't seem to find it now....Basically all I have are two holes at each end of the bar which seem to have a "threaded" hole on the inside. On the one bar end I have/had..it appeared that the screw broke off...although the other end of the screw does not seem to have remained inside the bar/clip-on...
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 11:24 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Have you been to the Ron Ayres site? It has all the schematics. Here is the "handle bars". http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_04...top_bridge.cfm

Here is the main page for the 03-04 parts. http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/frames...50&parent=5240 A service manual is a good thing to have also. It explains how to do just about everything you need to do. Look around and see if you can find it. I found it in a .pdf format a while back. Google is good.

The weight and bar end both have a half circle where they mate together. You can see it in the schematic... Sorta anyways. It is hard knowing exactly what you are saying with out pics.

Kevin

post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

bump

who is going to putnam on the 15th? I'll be there
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 08:34 PM

The bike is finally back together (for the most part). I'm signed up for both days...Hope the weather is o.k...

I'm going to try really hard not to crash this time.
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 11:16 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

I will be there Sunday. All white #690. Wish I could do both days but money and lack of conditioning it is probably better that I dont. :) I met a guy last time that is going to be there with some friends that have 600rr's. I will also have a camcorder if you are in the B group.

Doug, are you still red/blk #336?

Have fun the 15th Dave!

Kevin

post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

thanks i sure will. we have two setups of camera's as well. One of our guys is running the I group with the lipstick camera so im sure we will play with different views throughout the day. I know one or two of my buddies will have camera's on their bikes in the B group as well.

LTSrr - Have fun on sunday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page