Laptimer Help - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Laptimer Help

I'm looking at purchasing an XT laptimer. My main question is whether to go with the 20 inch cable or the 6 foot cable. For those of you that have this laptimer which did you buy/recommend. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 12:09 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I don't have it and have been considering that one as well. A friend of mine has the 20 inch and has recommended the 6 foot. That way you can mount it on your tail.

The 20 inch has to mount to the top side fairing (the ones that cover the ram intake).

Either works -but I was recommended the longer one.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 05:01 PM
Tell me I'm cool PLEASE!

Don't you want to mount it as far forward as possible for scoring photo finishes? I don't know, just a guess.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird180
Don't you want to mount it as far forward as possible for scoring photo finishes? I don't know, just a guess.
Transponders (not timers) must go on every bike in the same place for this very reason.

Timers: I don't like to look while riding so I use the 20" and mount on tail and behind me on the seat. You can also mount the 20" in front and keep the eye on the ram air covers and the timer elsewhere (dash, triple, tank cover)

If you use the six footer you can mount up front and run the wire to the tail section, great if your bike is track/race only, but a pita to remove if its street/track imo
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 06:10 PM
What ever its supposed to be....

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I've got twenty inches and it works fine. Suppose the six footer would give you more options.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 06:48 PM
Superbike racer

20" is all you need.

CCS EX#100
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 09:55 PM
Woman Can Handle A LOT of Beef

I went with the 20 inch.. the 6 foot would almost be a pain, unless you want to stick it on the tail...

Charlie "Blue"

It is the mark of a great mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
- Aristotle

facebook.com/senedane
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll go with the 20 inch.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 11:04 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

The 20" XT is what I have and I love it. Very easy to use and you can set it to different tracks with a programmable memory.

You mount the infrared pickup on the front portion of the fairing covering the ram air tubes and mount the display over the speedo. I put tape over the speedo then velcro on top of it to keep from getting glue on the plastic. you run the cable under the fairing stay and you don't even need to zip tie it or anything. Works great.

*A note about mounting it on the tail versus nose. -It doesn't matter since timing starts as soon as you cross the path and will end when you cross the path. So starting it from the front means nothing versus the rear. Most of the time people start from pit row and then timing doesn't start until they have completed the warm up lap and have crossed the beacon.

** The transponder comment is kinda interesting as it is the same as the above statement about the lap timer. However, it could be interesting if you had a photo finish with a competitor and you had your transponder mounted on the tail and he had his mounted on the fork. I could figuratively cross the line first but his transponder would register first. In club racing this could be an issue since I do not think they have photo-finishing....Hmmmmm.....could create a protest and probably fall back on the transponder data. I think I might move mine to the front.

NE/Mid-Atlantic CCS/ASRA #973
2006 NE CCS/LRRS Amateur Champion
MW SuperSport, MW Superbike, MW Grand Prix, HW SuperSport, HW Superbike, UNL SuperSport, UNL Superbike

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEDWN5UP
** The transponder comment is kinda interesting as it is the same as the above statement about the lap timer. However, it could be interesting if you had a photo finish with a competitor and you had your transponder mounted on the tail and he had his mounted on the fork. I could figuratively cross the line first but his transponder would register first. In club racing this could be an issue since I do not think they have photo-finishing....Hmmmmm.....could create a protest and probably fall back on the transponder data. I think I might move mine to the front.
Don't LRRS have a rule on this??? I'm amazed if they don't. In AFM, it HAS to be on the tail above the rear axle.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 12:14 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

If they do have a rule it isn't enforced since I see it all over the place -fenders, forks, fairings, tails, swingarms, etc.

You think they would considering they have a rule for just about everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltedworld
Don't LRRS have a rule on this??? I'm amazed if they don't. In AFM, it HAS to be on the tail above the rear axle.

NE/Mid-Atlantic CCS/ASRA #973
2006 NE CCS/LRRS Amateur Champion
MW SuperSport, MW Superbike, MW Grand Prix, HW SuperSport, HW Superbike, UNL SuperSport, UNL Superbike

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 04:56 PM
Tell me I'm cool PLEASE!

It happened at Road Atlanta in Superstock. Scoring says that Roger Hayden won by .009 seconds, but I looked at a still, and it looks like Jason DiSalvo got him.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 05:25 PM
Superbike racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltedworld
From the Loudon Road Racing Series Rulebook

Scoring Equipment used will be AMB transponders. The transponder may be owned, rented or borrowed. If your own transponder is used you will be responsible for giving the transponder number to registration when entering.

Transponders must be mounted vertically, with the fixing pin up, at a maximum of 120cm or 4 feet with no obstruction downwards. This means NO metal or carbon
fiber between the transponder and the track surface. The maximum temperature should not exceed 50c or 122F.

The holders should be fixed in a safe and workmanlike manner using tye-raps or pop rivets. The fixing clip should be pushed through the post as far as possible.

Transponders must be mounted at the front of the motorcycle as close to the front axel vertical centerline as possible

CCS EX#100
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 05:26 PM
Superbike racer

Quote:
It happened at Road Atlanta in Superstock. Scoring says that Roger Hayden won by .009 seconds, but I looked at a still, and it looks like Jason DiSalvo got him.
i dunno what still you looked at but it was clear that Hayden won the race. Close, but definately a Hayden win

CCS EX#100
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 06:32 PM
Tell me I'm cool PLEASE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTuna
i dunno what still you looked at but it was clear that Hayden won the race. Close, but definately a Hayden win
You call .009 a clear win? I got the race on my HD. Plus Speed showed a still. Wish I could've had a side or top view though. I need that image rotation program like they used on the bag in Enemy of the State. Then I could tell you for sure.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 06:53 PM
Superbike racer

Quote:
You call .009 a clear win? I got the race on my HD. Plus Speed showed a still. Wish I could've had a side or top view though. I need that image rotation program like they used on the bag in Enemy of the State. Then I could tell you for sure.
i have it on TiVo and I watched it in slow motion a few times. You can see Rogers wheel hit the finish line before DiSalvo. It was obviously close, but after rewinding it and watching it again it was clear that Hayden won

CCS EX#100
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 03:41 AM
World Superbike Racer

20" or 6' is fine. I got a great deal from ibvosko on these boards on a the 6'. I don't mount mine on the back though so I just wrap the excess in a zip tie and have it on the front, right on the ram covers. The display sits on my tachometer.

I've seen people just tape down the 6' ones also just to the back so they don't bother seeing it. They just check their lap times after a session. So for most options, you can go with the longer one, but I did confirm with the manufacturer that you can swap out cables for like $8 because I was concerned with the length of the cable when I first bought it.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 01:28 PM

Hey Parapuke, been a while. We met at Hallett

i have an XT 20" cable too and a beacon. and similar to one of the previous posters use velcro on the skins over the air intake and a taped over the speedo.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Thanks for all the advise guys. I'll probably go with the 20 inch cable and use Wiley's beacon at trackdays. Thanks for all the help.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 05:49 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEDWN5UP
I'm pretty sure that the AMB transponder loop at NHIS is not at Start/Finish, so in that case it wouldn't help... but it's a thought. I have a car with a transponder and mounted it at the back, thinking "the're not supposted to use it for photo-finishes, and what's the chance of it happening, anyway". Well, what happened to me at another track this year - I lost a "photo-finish" race by a fraction of a second - a distance I computed to be about 8 feet (about the length of my car)...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page