8/27-28 trackday pics... Before the crash - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
8/27-28 trackday pics... Before the crash

I just got done typing a long synopsis of my weekend, and unfortunately erased it somehow.. I am too tired to go thru the motions.. but when I get the aftermath pics, I will show them... crashed on the second day - my third time at the track... I was doing 2:03's at T-hill, trying to get thru a day with my GP-a's that were almost toast. Going thru Turn 9 at about 112 mph, my rear stepped out on me, and when my Sato's touched down, Voila! My bike and I took a nice bumpy as hell ride into the dirt. I almost came out unscathed, but ended up with a terrible ankle fracture that will have some reprocussions later in life, even if it heals well. The bike is completely trashed.... must have shot up about 12ft when I saw it as I tumbled... anyway, I had a lot of fun before that! hahah Here are the pics from GotBlueMilk.com

http://gotbluemilk.com/web050828/95/index.html
http://gotbluemilk.com/web050827/95/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 06:40 AM

Sorry to hear that. You look like you were enjoying hanging off that thing.

Ankle injuries are a pain. Physio, physio, physio. Thats my advice.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 06:49 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
sounds like it was a really good time, until the tumble. i hope your ankle injury heals up fast, and good luck with the bike. hopefully it isn't too bad off, but i can't imagine it would fare very well landing from about 12' off the tarmac.

take care bro, wishing you the best with everything.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 11:54 AM

Sorry 'bout the crash. Awesome pics though. You look good out there!

Hope you and the bike get fixed up soon!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 11:55 AM

Awesome form!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 12:09 PM
cvlighthouse

Sorry to hear bout your get-off. Bummer about the anlke. Will it need surgery? My friend just went through all that. have you got any pics of the totaled bike? Was it covered? Nice form. Your really hanging off there.. I had a similar situation at Buttonwillow last time, but fortunatley I saved it. My tires were spent and I shouldn't have been out there. Lucky for me it was a backwards day.. lol (we didn't drive backwards, we just ran the track backwards, giving the right side of my tires a break since they were shot from the day before..)
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 12:18 PM

2:03's on your 3rd trackday?!?!? And you were on worn GP's?!?? That's top 15 in 600P Holy shite.... Thats incredibly good times for your third day, but I have to believe its the old adage again, too fast too soon along with pushing it on shagged tires. Did you ham-fist it and spin the rear while hitting the dip 3-4 feet off the apex of 9? I guess a lowside there isn't that bad since you're sliding uphill, imagine if you chopped it and high-sided...you would have cleared the hill and shot to the moon!!!

How bad is the ankle, how'd it get caught? What boots were you wearing and how'd they and the rest of your gear hold up? Hope you heal well and get back out there soon. Welcome to the injured reserve list, casts are fun (I'm in denial, hah!)
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Ok, glad to answer your questions.... Brendan, I was ripping up turn 9, catching Rob Wilson, and I chose a late apex because of my entry speed, I was almost completing my turn, with total throttle control, and then my rear couldn't hang with all the forces on it. it stepped out on me from the force of cornering- and my Sato's (had just put them on that night) touched down. Rear lifted up, front went down, and I was looking at tha gas cap for a milisecond. I threw my hands back and down to slow me from the bike, and let it go it's own way.... I tried to keep my feet up, but they were bouncing along the dirt so hard that they were rag-dolling. It was almost funny, because as I was sliding, I was saying "don't break, don't break, doing good" for a long time, until my ankle and foot were jammed into a dip in the dirt, causing it to fracture. I went to Butte Medical, and knew it was broken. I had some guys load up my completely trashed bike, and drove myself with my left foot up to Redding where I stayed overnight, and had surgery on it the next day. Foot is Farked up, probably as bad as Stevo's, but the real problem is that this is going to cost me the height of my season in work. I think it will really cost me about 40,000 in work lost. Anyhow.. I am in a weird position, because yes, I was going to turn my bike into insurance, but I have a couple thou in upgrades that i want to get off of the bike... pipe and rearsets are perfect! Just haven't had the chance.... I don't think that State Farm will insure it on the track, but I may have to fib a little... I have heard so much about the new GSXR600, that I may stray that way next year if I get ready to race.
Oh, I was wearing an smx2 suit, which held up great.. needs a little sewing though. SMX plus boots... hardly a scratch, but the impact was felt thru the boot, so I was wondering if another might have prevented that. Sorry to disappoint you about hamfisting it, lol.. I don't do that until I hit the straights! How is your injury by the way? I fogot what you hurt.. your hand or arm? +10 on the Sato's, because I can't believe they are dead straight after seeing the bike flip so many times and land hard on one of them. Subframe bent.. forks bent, wheels ???? not sure. all bodywork obliterated. Some of the pictures there are a little gay, because there were many red flags during the sessions. Didn't know I was going to be one of them on Sunday!
-Josh
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 06:41 PM

Josh, Damn....I'm sorry to hear it. Definitely turn it into insurance for a total loss, a trackday is not racing and should be covered under rider-training. You should be able to take the aftermarket goodies off as long as you have the stockers to replace.

I was joking about the ham, but I haven't seen many crashes in 9 unless running wide, which you didn't do. Seems hitting that bump has to be what unsettled you though, kinda hard to spin it up there. How many day's were on the GP's? US or UK? That most likely in your case was a big contributing factor.

My suit needed stiching work too but held up great $100 in repair. I'm surprised the SMX didn't handle the twists. Dirt surfing can hurt more than the payment if your tumbling tumbling tumbling. My Sidi Vertigos did well even though i tumbled a long way. Just the instep cable broke, a $20 piece. Bike is about $500 plus a new helmet, so about a grand total for someone elses f*cktarded Yates move. Surgery was about $10k, but covered by insurance.

My hand is in a cast for a few more weeks with a pin holding my ligament in place. Sucks because its my writing hand, but at least I can work. Parts are almost all here and I've stripped the bike to rebuild the damaged sections. 12 weeks or so till I can ride track but depending on my PT I might hop on for a slow mental therapy street ride when the cast comes off.

Hope you heal fast and get back out there soon. I got some catching up to do if you're running 03's :wow The new R6 could be the class killer next year if its big-bang firing order.

Brendan
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 06:48 PM

When you crash on a track, does insurance cover the bike?
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALIDUDE
When you crash on a track, does insurance cover the bike?
Only if its a trackday and not a race, most do. Trackdays are to imporve skills applicable for better safety on the street ;)
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

I hope you're right, because I am not going to fib about it, and just tell them it happened on a trackday... lol- The nurse at Butte Medical wrote down that it happened on Hwy162 on her own... she winked at me, and said "that's for your bike insurance." Sounds like she knows the drill. Thanks Ceph for the kind words, and don't worry, if finances allow it, I'll be out there ripping it up next year for the race season.
Where is the love Big Tuna? Thought you would chime in and tell me about crash experiences! Anyhow, I met Snoggin there (Tim Baker) and I have to say that he is one hell of a nice guy, and fast too.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 03:28 AM
World Superbike Racer

snapitoff2004,
sorry to hear about your spill. You don't happen to lug that bike around in a truck that looks like a little semi do you? I'm just wondering because I was at THill on 08/27 and set up next to a guy with a bike like yours. I had a primered 600RR.

Man, I totally know how you feel though, I had a spill the day after at ButtonWillow. High side that resulted in a tiny fracture and sprain in my left hand with a sprain in my right ankle. Such a bummer because I'm feening for the track right now, it's not even funny.

Get well soon and hope to you see you THill.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

no.. but I think I know which guy you are talking about... had a real nice Red Quad Cab... looked huge? I don't know him personally, but I can bet he is $$$$ in the money when he fuels that thing up.. I was under the hangar, because my friends from Monterey had to move there stuff down there to get air conditioning. Would have loved to have hooked up with you there, didn't know anyone from here was going.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 02:26 AM
World Superbike Racer

that's cool. Maybe I'll see you next time up there. I'll try to start a new post for the next THill track day just to see who's going from here. Take care and heal soon.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 02:35 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
sorry to hear, but your form looks great.. Heal fast.. I have a compound on my ankle as well but that was last year...
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

hmm.. which bones did you break in your ankle?
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 08:42 PM

I was there that day. Sorry to hear that was you.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 08:48 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
dude, sorry about the crash. You were looking awesome though in those pictures.

"She's got legs that keep going and going and going and make a turd chopper out of themselves." GBord

"Ima Redneck"
Eazy E

CCS Amatuer #611
03 600RR

Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

yeah.. I recognized you RRtavo, and I wanted to say hello, but I was busy.... crashing... lol I can't remember what group you were in, but I definitely wanted to do a few laps with you. Stupid me, I was trying to spread myself too thin everywhere.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 12:47 PM

Any word from your insurance yet? Did ya get the aftermarket goodies off?
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

oh.. yah.. I sold my Micron & power commander for 400 bucks to a friend... pretty good deal if you ask me. I also took my Sato's off, and will take pics as soon as I can if anyone is interested... they have a ground off the bottom edge of the left rearset, but they are dead straight, and pretty much brand new. My insurance... hmmm.. I turned it in, and they wanted me to take it somewhere for an estimate... lol.. that's not going to work, I have a cast on my leg!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page