first track day... - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
first track day...

Well i took my new race bike out last wekend to JenningsGP. It was my first time ever on a track. I took the Ed Bargy race school on Sat. and practiced Sun. and Mon. By the third session on the second day I was timed at a 1:26:19 lap time. They then moved my buddy (who got a 1:27:14) and myself to expert. Is riding this good supposed to be so natural? I think I found my nack. I am completly hooked.

06 R6 Raven
(street bike)
05 600rr
(racing: full akrapovic titanium, PCIII USB, vortex clipons/rear sets, ebc pads, galfer braided lines, 520 kit, bmc air filters, puig double bubble, scotts damper, yoyodine slipper clutch, forks resprung, shock rebuild)
03 dodge ram

"Ride anywhere and everywhere."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 08:53 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
hooked!! thats why I am afraid to even try bc I cant afford myself as we speak lol

04' red/blk 600rr
PCIIIusb / K&N Airfilter / 2bros C5-xmetal / Matris Steering Damper / HID look-a-likes / Madd Doc Front LEDs / Tpage Peg rear LEDs / Polished Wheel Lips / Puig Dark Smoke Windscreen / ProGrip Carbon Fiber Tank Protector / Swingarm License Plate / HJC CL-14 Tribe Helemt / HRC Race Jacket / Joe Rocket Gloves
HHHHOORRRAAYYY FOR BBOOBBIEESSS!!!

Just for you Alex, you awsome racer, non poser at anything in your life, coolest person in the world, 600rr rider buddy pal
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDROWN
Well i took my new race bike out last wekend to JenningsGP. It was my first time ever on a track. I took the Ed Bargy race school on Sat. and practiced Sun. and Mon. By the third session on the second day I was timed at a 1:26:19 lap time. They then moved my buddy (who got a 1:27:14) and myself to expert. Is riding this good supposed to be so natural? I think I found my nack. I am completly hooked.

how long have you been on the street?

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

i started riding street bikes oct 04

06 R6 Raven
(street bike)
05 600rr
(racing: full akrapovic titanium, PCIII USB, vortex clipons/rear sets, ebc pads, galfer braided lines, 520 kit, bmc air filters, puig double bubble, scotts damper, yoyodine slipper clutch, forks resprung, shock rebuild)
03 dodge ram

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 09:34 PM
SoCal600RR

not too bad. what kind of setup were you running? I am hooked also I have been tracking it since '98 and Im still not tired of it. I could own a Lambo for as uch as I have spent on my habit. Beautiful isnt it?
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

i was running one down in the front. i am still learning about gearing and things like that. i need to set the suspension and get it dyno tuned. i am hoping that will cut a sec off my time.

06 R6 Raven
(street bike)
05 600rr
03 dodge ram

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 09:42 PM
Moto GP Racer

Damn, that is an awsome time for a beginner at that track...way to go!

Randal Graves: There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there?
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 12:08 PM

I have never ridden the track, so I can comment on what good times would be, but just as in all other sports and things we do some people just have the nak as you say. Some people are better at picking up things faster or right off the bat. Some take longer. Just because you might pick something up really fast does not mean you will be better than the guy that takes longer to learn. Over the last few years I have raced an SV. My best friend has been racing an SV about 3 years before me. I started beating him right away. Our bikes are setup almost identical and within 1hp of each other. I have never taken any classes, just learned from reading, watching races, talking to others etc.

A big factor in being fast and winning races is experience. Knowing what to do when, how to stay out of trouble, get through traffic and the list goes on and on. You could be two seconds faster than a guy, but then hit traffic and hesitate on a pass and the next thing you know he is by you and the guy holding you up.

On a track I know well and when I see a rider I am catching, I will sometimes slow down a bit before hand so that my passing is optimal, say in the exit of a turn. If you catch a rider mid turn and have to back off, that just kills your drive. Also what works for one may not for another.

Good luck
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 02:51 AM
Knee Dragger

just wondering, how scary is it for a noob on a first track day. are people decent or you get treated like **** right out the box. id like to buff up my skills before i get on any type of track but just wondering
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 03:21 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnislashx82 View Post
just wondering, how scary is it for a noob on a first track day. are people decent or you get treated like **** right out the box. id like to buff up my skills before i get on any type of track but just wondering
not scary at all if you ride within your limits, it is up to you to make it the most pleasurable or the most horrifying thing you ever did on 2 wheels & so far those who tried it most got hooked.

btw the street is no place to buff up your skills, the track is THE place for that, skills i learned & honed on the track saved my butt on the street a few occasions & i wasn't even speeding at those times.

2003 CBR 600RR JDM
HRC ECU AMA spec
HRC radiator
Electrex World race alternator
WP 4618 rear shock
WP 1508 steering damper
Ohlins 9.0N fork springs
Overrev tuned fork cartridges
Akrapovic Evo Carbon FS
Dynojet PCV WB2 POD300
BMC race air filter
AFAM 15/47 sprockets
DID VX2 520 gold chain
Brembo 19RCS MC
HEL brakelines
Euro Racing riser plates & lever
HM Plus quickshifter
EVR CTS slipper clutch
BST CF wheels
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 03:35 AM
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*

Thanked 1,191 Times in 901 Posts
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by OveRReV View Post
not scary at all if you ride within your limits, it is up to you to make it the most pleasurable or the most horrifying thing you ever did on 2 wheels & so far those who tried it most got hooked.

btw the street is no place to buff up your skills, the track is THE place for that, skills i learned & honed on the track saved my butt on the street a few occasions & i wasn't even speeding at those times.

Don't be afraid to talk to other riders and control riders either. That's what they are all there for. Pick their brains and have a control rider tow and follow you around the track to teach you what to work on.

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Knee Dragger

ok here comes the super noob in me.....whats a control rider and i just assumed the track would be full of guys going nuts and i would be in the way while trying to learn

and i didnt mean on the street going nuts when i said buffing up my skills i just meant getting more comfy with my bike and learning some of my general comfort limits. i get that there guys go out balls to the wall on the street but im not about sliding into a cager because i wanna push how far i can lean lol we have some decent roads that i can get the feel for leaning into it or taking a slower tighter turn at a lower speed and i want to get more comfy before i take it to the track.
so how does a track day work? like you show up and pay and they let you go, no headlights right? full set of riding gear and i just cant shake this picture i have in my head of going to the skating rink as a kid and all these people going around at the same time bumping into each other, i know it couldnt be like that but i just cant shake it lol
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 03:07 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
ok here comes the super noob in me.....whats a control rider and i just assumed the track would be full of guys going nuts and i would be in the way while trying to learn

and i didnt mean on the street going nuts when i said buffing up my skills i just meant getting more comfy with my bike and learning some of my general comfort limits. i get that there guys go out balls to the wall on the street but im not about sliding into a cager because i wanna push how far i can lean lol we have some decent roads that i can get the feel for leaning into it or taking a slower tighter turn at a lower speed and i want to get more comfy before i take it to the track.
so how does a track day work? like you show up and pay and they let you go, no headlights right? full set of riding gear and i just cant shake this picture i have in my head of going to the skating rink as a kid and all these people going around at the same time bumping into each other, i know it couldnt be like that but i just cant shake it lol
what we (control riders) do is to provide a safe and smooth session...they usually have groups A (advanced) B (intermediate) C (beginner) each group has 20 min sessions or depending on track day provider...so what control riders do is we make sure that ppl are following the class rules and if we see you struggling out there we usually follow you and try and show you what you can improve on....as far as the bike you should have a good tires and make sure throttle doesnt stick, good brakes and pretty much make sure bike is not gonna do something crazy....as far as headlights many org. just want them taped off..but read the requirements that each ogranization has...

you can't buy happiness but having a racebike is close enough!!!
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Knee Dragger

hey thanks for the info im interested in getting out there and that def takes away from my "roller rink" picture. so first they will separate people and they have specific people out there to make it safe fun and not a complete disaster and i can find out before hand what is required ? also i was wondering how crowded it gets and in general how many runs/sessions can you expect out of a day and how does pricing work. one price for all day and thats it or are there other costs to be considered? thanks for the helpful info i was expecting the wrath of the mighty flame thrower haha
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 03:22 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
hey thanks for the info im interested in getting out there and that def takes away from my "roller rink" picture. so first they will separate people and they have specific people out there to make it safe fun and not a complete disaster and i can find out before hand what is required ? also i was wondering how crowded it gets and in general how many runs/sessions can you expect out of a day and how does pricing work. one price for all day and thats it or are there other costs to be considered? thanks for the helpful info i was expecting the wrath of the mighty flame thrower haha
usually there are 7 sessions and pricing all depends on weekday, weekend, holiday, and what track you go to. most org. have a limit to how many riders sign up and that is to prevent from having to many riders out there at once. no wrath or flame thrower here I'm always glad to help ppl get on the track....

post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Knee Dragger

that is awesome news im feeling like 100% better about how its going to be when i do get out there, someone sent me a thing www.tampasportsbikes.com but it doesnt work apparently there are a bunch of tracks here in florida but like i said im pretty clueless to the track scene any suggestions on how to find tracks or is there an org. i can search for?
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 03:34 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
that is awesome news im feeling like 100% better about how its going to be when i do get out there, someone sent me a thing www.tampasportsbikes.com but it doesnt work apparently there are a bunch of tracks here in florida but like i said im pretty clueless to the track scene any suggestions on how to find tracks or is there an org. i can search for?
roadracingworld magazine usually has a trackday directory and it displays every track and org on it as well as dates...go to roadracingworld.com and try and find it...

post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 03:35 PM
Knee Dragger

thanks man like i said i really appreciate it
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 03:36 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
thanks man like i said i really appreciate it
...no worries

The Following User Says Thank You to trackfreak For This Useful Post:
omnislashx82 (02-11-2011)
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Great Info on trackdays and also has a list of trackday providers by State. Have fun..

https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=220530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
Flip Diver's gotta be a bot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatstud View Post
flip posts bewbies everywhere!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacksoncbr600 View Post
No flipdiver posts newbies everywhere.
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDROWN View Post

Glad you made it to the track. Please don't let how good you did at that track go to your head.

This is just food for thought, nothing implied or harping on you in anyway. Just some real life experience I've seen.

Another org. I'm with has had members go down there for their first track time and done the same with their lap times and being bumped up.

However, idividuals that are placed in Expert at that track for their first time does not mean they should be in the same group at all other tracks.

To be in the same group, you must be able to hold your line, be consistent, maintain the right amount of speed, pass without incident, be passed without incident, in order to maintain status in the appropriate gourp.

That is an good track for biginners. Those that have gone down there and come back with the (Expert) mentality in their head have had a rude awakening when put on a technical track.

For me, those individuals let it get to their head and we went to Mid-O or Barber as a group. Not having the experience to do the above, they were kept in the Novice group. It was a wake up call because they were being blown away by other Novice riders.
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 09:51 PM
Knee Dragger

i was just looking at the jennings site and it says they require a full leather suit. is that normal for tracks or anyone know if they let you use other protective gear?
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 01:02 AM
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*

Quote:
i was just looking at the jennings site and it says they require a full leather suit. is that normal for tracks or anyone know if they let you use other protective gear?
Normal for almost all tracks. At least that I know of. Only other protection that you would want would be stuff to go under that suit like a back, chest and hip protectors.

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 11:11 AM
Knee Dragger

that sucks, im gonna have to get skinny or find a cow to make my own suit out of,i kinda doubt they make leathers in my size
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 11:20 AM
World Superbike Racer

lol you will surprised how big they make those things.....

post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 11:32 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
yea you'll definitely find your size
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 02:10 PM
Knee Dragger

5x really?
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 03:21 PM
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackfreak View Post
lol you will surprised how big they make those things.....

I saw a few big dudes at my last trackday. Heck, one had a garage next to Junior and me.

post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 04:57 PM
Knee Dragger

well that kinda makes me feel better about finding some gear, i know i had to murder people to find paintball pants in my size and they are still tight in the waist section and as far as a jersey goes i gave up on that. its like fat people aren't aloud to be athletic and have fun haha. you know us gigantic boned people, im like the biggest ninja you ever saw in your life lol
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 05:12 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
well that kinda makes me feel better about finding some gear, i know i had to murder people to find paintball pants in my size and they are still tight in the waist section and as far as a jersey goes i gave up on that. its like fat people aren't aloud to be athletic and have fun haha. you know us gigantic boned people, im like the biggest ninja you ever saw in your life lol
You can always go the custom leathers route too.

Barnacle Bills
Pilot
Z Custom

just to name a few.

‎"Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile, can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." -JFK

----
"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

--
SuperMoto ------------------- SuperSport

Does it get any better? Probably not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page