what class to run?? - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what class to run??

I was wondering what kind of class i should run in ccs. by looking at my sig, would someone give me a good idea as to what would be the best class to run with what i currently have done to my bike?

06 R6 Raven
(street bike)
05 600rr
(racing: full akrapovic titanium, PCIII USB, vortex clipons/rear sets, ebc pads, galfer braided lines, 520 kit, bmc air filters, puig double bubble, scotts damper, yoyodine slipper clutch, forks resprung, shock rebuild)
03 dodge ram

"Ride anywhere and everywhere."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 09:46 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
dude, what you have done to your bike has absolutely nothing to do with what class you run in. Have you done any trackdays yet????

"She's got legs that keep going and going and going and make a turd chopper out of themselves." GBord

"Ima Redneck"
Eazy E

CCS Amatuer #611
03 600RR

Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 09:47 AM
Moto GP Racer

actually, in a way I guess it does. Different classes have different requirements about what can be done to your bike modification wise, but don't think you're just going to be automatically faster because of that stuff.

"She's got legs that keep going and going and going and make a turd chopper out of themselves." GBord

"Ima Redneck"
Eazy E

CCS Amatuer #611
03 600RR

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

i understand that i won't necessarily be faster with that stuff, but i am confused between supersport, superbike. which one would my bike perform best in? I have a total of 3 track days last sat, sun and mon. at jennings. onthe second day i ran a 1:26:19. I know that is good for a first time ever on a track. just need some advice on where i would be most competitive.

06 R6 Raven
(street bike)
05 600rr
(racing: full akrapovic titanium, PCIII USB, vortex clipons/rear sets, ebc pads, galfer braided lines, 520 kit, bmc air filters, puig double bubble, scotts damper, yoyodine slipper clutch, forks resprung, shock rebuild)
03 dodge ram

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 10:11 AM
Moto GP Racer

Dude, that is flying for your first time. I'm sure some of the guys that race will chime in and let you know more about bike requirements etc.

Have you checked out CCS website???

E

"Ima Redneck"
Eazy E

CCS Amatuer #611
03 600RR

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

the website is not the most user friendly. it doesn't give lap times of the am classes. I was thinking supersport... but superbike seems to be where its at. i just don't want to get in over my head... ya know?

06 R6 Raven
(street bike)
05 600rr
03 dodge ram

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 01:11 PM
Pocketbike Racer

If you go Superbike there are a lot more mods alowed in that class and with that better riders. I would start with the supersport, and see how that goes

Mototire, Arata full system, PCIII, Stomp Grip, DID ERV3, Michelin, Racers Edge, Goodrich lines, Run Gp, Veserah, Vortex rear set w/ GP shift, Vortex fairing stay, clipons, & sprockets, Woodcraft case covers & frame sliders, GPR stabilizer, R-R Racing subframe, Speedcell SS race battery, Elka shock, Cheetah body work.
#57 CCS SW
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 03:25 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I run mostly CMRA, but raced one CCS event this year. Middleweight Superbike, Middleweight Supersport, and Middleweight GP. I believe there are others, but that was the three races I did.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 04:43 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

See if you can get your hands on the CCS rule book and then choose your classes from what your bike fits in to. If I were you I'd race one superbike race and one supersport race and see which class you feel more comfurtable in for the future. They'll know you are a newb and will watch out for you.

"I read that two out of every ten office workers masturbate at work. What I want to know is, who, besides me, is wasting valuable company time?"
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 05:35 PM

novice racer on a 1000 has very little classes to choose from.

also go to mylaps/com and look to see what the wera novices are running in the ASS class and you will get to see where you will be lap time wise...1:26's are middle pack and back.

Last edited by Shingle Monkey; 09-10-2005 at 05:39 PM.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

i am not running a 1000 at the track. but if 1:26 is middle pack and back, i have some work to do. i think i might go with supersport. just b/c i am a beginner. i can't afford to run 2 classes.

06 R6 Raven
(street bike)
05 600rr
03 dodge ram

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 07:00 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
run as many classes as you can.........if you can only do one it really doesn't matter which you do.........same riders, same bikes. The guys that are legal(and there are few) run in superbike too. THe guys with superbike legal stuff run in supersport too. If you only do one, make it the gto race cause its 9 laps all the other races are 6 laps I think.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 09:12 PM
Superbike racer

I race in both the Middle Weight and Heavy Weight class. I race at NHIS where a 600 can compete with larger bikes because the track is atight and twisty. Very technical and short straights....

CCS EX#100
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 04:09 AM

My philosophy is that when you start you should race in every class your bike is eligible for and that you can afford. At Jennings the bike isn't as important as the rider, the lap record used to be on a 250 GP bike, now it's a liter bike so you should be able to compete machine wise regardless. In order of importance (IMO) :

GTU*
MW supersport*
HW supersport
UNL supersport
MW superbike*
GTO
HW superbike
UNL superbike
MW GP
UNL GP

If you only do a few, the ones with the asterisk is where you'll match up best. MW SS has always been the craziest class so be prepared to get spanked for a while. Don't get discouraged and always work on your riding and not your bike (if possible :)
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

why is mw ss the craziest?? is it b/c of the inexperienced riders in the am class? I went to the races today at jennings, they said that am mw ss is running 21's-27's. does that sound right to you?

06 R6 Raven
(street bike)
05 600rr
03 dodge ram

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 09:03 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDROWN
why is mw ss the craziest?? is it b/c of the inexperienced riders in the am class? I went to the races today at jennings, they said that am mw ss is running 21's-27's. does that sound right to you?

thats right....... you would be fine as far as pace.... You will probably pick up some pace during the races..........its just a little more intense. 21's is gettin it pretty good. Im stuck in the 22's. The am mw ss class is usually big and usually filled with a lot of young riders with a lot of..............................we'll call it enthusiasm
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 07:21 AM

By craziest I mean that a lot of the guys are intent on being stars. I'm not throwing stones because I've been there, it's just that sometimes you get some "overzealous" individuals in that class (also been there, as evidenced by 15 crashes my novice year). Also, there's a handful of guys who while they could ride in mw superbike, mw gp, etc.,that only ride in supersport because that's their class and they concentrate on it... those are usually VERY fast riders. That's why you'll usually finish a little better in SB and GP even though, theoretically, your bike doesn't match up as well for those classes.
One piece of advice, however. When you're starting I'd suggest picking a tire and going with it. By that I mean DOT vs. Slicks. There are pronounced differences in turning, grip and feedback between the two and you don't want to make your job any harder. Try to think down the road what you want to do and go that way. If you want to battle the best riders, and have the most chance of making a few $ , concentrate on the DOTs and supersport. If you want to ride a built machine with few limits on mods and just generally go as fast as you can then go with slicks and concentrate on those classes.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 09:08 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

I race 5 classes a weekend. MW & HW Supersport, MW & HW Superbike & MW GP. There are others I could do but I'm not spending any more, plus 5 races is pretty good.

The key is to pre-register if your track/series allows for it. This makes it so you can do more races at a lower cost. And you don't spend as much time in registration when you get to the track.

I have won superbike races with just a slip-on pipe and nothing more. It's all about what is between your ears and not neccesarily what you have into the bike. You can run slicks if you want in Superbike but a majority of us are also running supersport and are not swapping wheelsets between races. If I had a 3rd set of wheels I might consider it, but it's just another cost.

It's going to be a big effort to go out there and only do A race in the entire weekend. At least do one on Saturday and one on Sunday. And as a novice, your time might be best spend doing GT races since they are longer and you will get twice as much tracktime (though the races usually cost twice as much).

As far as your bike is concerned, it really doesn't matter what class you pick to start. A thought might be picking a race in the middle of the afternoon so that you can watch the experts before and after your race. As a novice I used to go watch all the expert races I could to watch their lines, shifting points and turn in/braking points so that I could apply it to myself.

Also check out www.penguinracing.com Eric Wood teaches a winter class at Jennings and Homestead. He usually averages around 15th place in AMA SuperBike as a privateer. He also happens to own WoodCraft.

NE/Mid-Atlantic CCS/ASRA #973
2006 NE CCS/LRRS Amateur Champion
MW SuperSport, MW Superbike, MW Grand Prix, HW SuperSport, HW Superbike, UNL SuperSport, UNL Superbike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page