Keigwin Intermediate School at Thunderhill, 9/20-21 - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Keigwin Intermediate School at Thunderhill, 9/20-21

I had a great time at the Keigwin 2-day Intermediate School at Thunderhill this past week. It's the local track I have the least seat time at, but the top-notch instructors really gave me some insights into some more ideal lines to take. Thunderhill is a track where confidence in going WOT is crucial to dropping lap times; and although I'm not at the point of keeping the throttle pinned in T8, I've made some great strides toward it.

My goal was to dip below 2:10 after this school; my previous best was 2:14. I hit 2:12 in day 1, and finally 2:11 in the morning of day 2. Unfortunately, a lowside during the "mock" race on day 2 kept me from riding the rest of the afternoon; otherwise I think sub-2:10 would have been easily obtainable. Eh well, another time.

As for the damage to the bike, nothing TOO major. Upper fairing is toast, but lowers and tail are usable. Upper fairing stay shattered -- I'll finally be replacing it with a Vortex race stay. Right Woodcraft rearset bracket can be bent back, but I'll need a new peg and brake pedal bracket. Subframe was majorly tweaked, but a 4-foot iron pipe and some elbow grease got it straight again. Rear wheel is dented but can be re-trued. Swingarm seems fine, but I'm trying to find a spare (possibly even 05 version) on Ebay just in case. Forks need to be inspected for straightness and rebuilt -- they seem to have a bit more stiction than before and the seals are seeping oil. Overall, not too bad, but I'm definitely missing the next (and final) AFM race weekend. :( Right now, evidence is suggesting that my shock/reservoir hose was over-stressed due to the way I had mounted the reservoir, and after 1-1/2 years of use, it finally cracked and sprayed oil over my rear tire.

I've said this before, but the Keigwin organization runs a great event, and the staff are top notch and high class guys (and gals!). If you are in the Northern California area (or visiting), I highly recommend attending one of their track days or schools. You will not be disappointed.

A few pics of happier moments during those 2 days... (all photos by the photographers of GotBlueMilk.com, awesome work, they make even a slow guy like me look fast!)

T10:

T4:

T4 (entry):

T13:

T14:

T10 (entry):

Last edited by quasi888; 09-25-2005 at 02:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Oh yeah. There was one crash that was just CRAZY. Rider on a TL-S comes barreling down into T10 (fast, banked corner), only to find out his front brakes don't work! Hits the dirt, and to his credit keeps it upright, but the rear brake is only gonna do so much good, ya know? He hits a dirt berm that was just recently constructed, and gets launched at least 5' in the air, still hanging on! He even manages to simulate a tail whip in the process. Thankfully, the guy is OK. And he's got one hell of a sequence of photos to share...

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 02:49 AM
Moto GP Racer

wow that's crazy, gives a new meaning to catching air....how high is he..whaaaa..whooo. Cool pics btw....I live in northern cali...i need to find time to get to a track. Thanks for sharing the photos.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 03:07 PM
Tell me I'm cool PLEASE!

T13 and T10 pics look weird. Something about the left side of the windscreen doesn't quite look right.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 04:57 PM

Looking good dave. Sweet pics
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 05:28 PM

that is just crazy... I wonder what he was thinking when he saw that he was seeing how well his bike could fly...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 05:30 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
what a hoofing tail whip, god i would of ejected well before i got into that situation,laughed my ass off looking at that, your photos look cool as hell man by the way
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 06:00 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Dave,

Man you got some good shots there. Real good body postion too. What turn did you go down?

IG: moto_neil
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 06:01 PM

those pics are great! Looks like a good time!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote
Dave,

Man you got some good shots there. Real good body postion too. What turn did you go down?
T13

Quote:
Originally Posted by quassi888
Upper fairing stay shattered
What is it with us trading parts then destroying them, LOL If the stiction is bad and can't be straightened I have spare, course I gotta check my own forks first. LOL
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 09:33 PM
World Superbike Racer

quasi, those pics are awesome! Thanks for the info on Keigwin. Lance and them are great. I will be heading up to Thunderhill before the end of the year, maybe I'll see you out there.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 10:09 PM

**** that guy got some major air time... i'd better check out my front brake is functioning properly...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page