My Return to the Track - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Superbike racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My Return to the Track

As many of you know, due to personal issues I had to miss the past 4 race weekends with Loudon Road Racing Series.

After the 1st four weekends I was leading the points in MWSS and MWSB. I was in 2nd in HWSB. Well like I said I had to take a couple of months off and fell out of contention for any Championships.

Anyhow, I was able to get back to NHIS and race the final weekend. I really wasn't sure how I would do or if everything would come together. I knew a couple of the guys I had been battling with had shaved a few seconds off the times we were doing earlier this season. With that in mind I was hoping to get on the box but I wasn't really expecting to win any races.

Well after a cold night sleeping in a trailer in 30 degree weather we got up and got ready for the day. I got a few practice sessions in and felt good. I didn't feel uncomfortable but I also didn't feel very smooth. I was just happy to be at the track and enjoying getting away.

My 1st race was race 6 (HWSB) so I had some time to kill after lunch. In the first three races there were quite a few crashes and red flags. Then the big one, at the start of race 4 there was an incident in which a couple of riders tangled half way from start line to Turn 1, one rider was run over a couple of times and was critically injured.

Unfortunately Stephen Almeida died this weekend and was survived by his wife and daughter. As racers we take the risks that we may get hurt or even worse, but this started getting into my head. I have now been at the track three seperate times when someone died. I started wondering what the F we are doing there? Risking our life for a $3 ******* plaque.

My thoughts go out to his friends and family.

Race 4 was postponed until Sunday and they went on to race 5. In race 5 a rider went down and when he was picking up his bike another rider slammed into his bike. I don't know the full details, other than one rider was fine and the other is pretty messed up, but will be okay. Now that we have had 5 red flags and all of the ambulances were away from the track we had another delay.....I must say my head was not into racing at this point and I thought about packing up.

But race 6 came (shortened to 6 laps so they could fit the days races into the schedule) and we went out onto the grid. I was in the second to last row. The flag dropped and I got a great launch, but the two riders in front of me came together and I had to roll off the throttle. I ended up somewhere in the back of the pack....and then you guessed it...the damn red flag came out again.

Once we got going I really never pushed too hard. I was running 1:19 - 1:20 lap times and made no aggressive passes. I ended up taking 8th place and was happy to be in one piece.

The MWGP was postponed until Sunday because the sun was going down. After another night in the trailer and 30 degree weather I woke up stiff and tired...but i felt better about the day.

Race 4 MWGP
Again I was in the back of the pack. I got a decent launch and started making my way through traffic. I found myself behind fellow RR member HESSOGOOD. I followed him for about a lap and he went a little wide coming out of T11 and didn't get the best drive down the front straight. I snuck underneath him going into T1 and continued to work my way through traffic and finsihed 4th. I definately felt good in this race. my head was clear, I did not hesitate and made a pass whenver I could. I got back into the 18's during that race. Although I wasn't on the box I was happy to have taken 4th and to have my lap times down to where I expected.

Race 6
MWSS
Okay, take off the slicks and mount my take off DOTs. I didn't want to spend any money on new tires so I figured I'd give the take offs another days work. The nice thing about Dunlops is that even when they are worn they slide very predictably. I was spinning up out of each corner and wasn't getting as good of drives as I would on new tires....but I managed a 5th.

Race 10
MWSB
Too lazy to change back to slicks I went out with the same set of shagged DOTs. The race was exciting. I got held up by a girl for 3 laps. She actually started going pretty good at the end of the season and was running 1:20's. She knew I was behind her and she was determined to hold me off. She was riding very defensively and a few times we almost collided. Every time I went to out drive her out of a corner my tire spun up and I had no drive. On top of that I weight 235 and she probably weighs 135, lol. anyway once i got past her i gapped her pretty good and made a few passes and grabbed another 5th place finish.

Although I never got into the 17's like I hoped I had a pretty decent weekend. Unfortunately the weekend was a crash fest for many and of course the horrible lose of a fellow rider.

RIP Stephen

CCS EX#100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 10:05 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
sounds like a great weekend of racing for you. Too bad about the other riders. Must feel good to be back, eh?

Pablo...2004 cbr600rr

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Superbike racer

yup, too bad it was the last race weekend of the year though

CCS EX#100

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 10:49 PM
Track Junkee

Sorry to hear of the carnage, but glad to see you get back to racing and doing well!!

Find SPEED Here!

:hello2:
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 06:49 AM

So how's it looking for November at Road A? I figure by then I may be able to get the R1 running smoothly for say 5 laps at a time :)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 07:24 AM

Nice to have you back on the grids Jim, too bad there were so many accidents and best wishes to Stephen's family.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Superbike racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCSEX122
So how's it looking for November at Road A?
Too far away at this point. I am job hunting now....

CCS EX#100
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 10:09 AM

Well done BT. A tough weekend on a few levels, but they always make lesser adversities seem easy.

Dont they?

Last edited by dale; 10-04-2005 at 10:14 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 01:42 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Nice post Tuna. More new riders need to read posts like these where there is great insight and truth. Sounds like it was a blast besides the obvious negatives. I want to get into some racing (cars/bikes) and i think about our mortality alot and if its worth it.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 08:36 PM
World Superbike Racer

Sounds like a pretty screwed up weekend for everyone, I am glad you were able to get back out for one more romp this year.

I was planning on going back to Road Atlanta in Nov., I went last year with NESBA, was pitted right across from BT. I guess I screwed myself this year by breaking my collerbone.

Good luck with the job hunt BT, hope you can get your head back into racing for next season.

R.I.P STEPHEN....

THE SECRET TO LIFE, ARE THE CHOICES WE MAKE!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page