Anyone race or plan on racing the NSF100? - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anyone race or plan on racing the NSF100?

Like it says. Has anyone raced or will be racing the NSF100? Im not sure if it was available last year, but Im thinking about getting into road racing. What do you guys think about this bike as a starter bike?

"Oh and if you dare say that I dont know whats it like get a freakin clue! I date models and strippers. So dont tell me that I dont know whats its like!" - BDiddy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 08:41 PM

NSF is a great starter bike, if your like 10 years old or 80 lbs. You realize they make like 10HP?

IMO the best bike to start racing is an SV. There are tons available for cheap. The suspension lacks adjustability, but can be set up great for very little money. Parts are everywhere, and inexpensive. The engines run forever. They are fast enough to have fun, but slow enough to force you to work on entry speed and not just point and shoot. They are great on tires. The grids are deep and fun. The competition is stiff, but generally more friendly with far less Rossi wannabes than the 600 grids.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Im from Ethernopia and mal nuroushed. Thanks for pointing out the painand sorrow that is my life!!

J/K Thanks for that. Figured maybe they made a bit more power, just saw it real quick and thought it would be a place to start.

"Oh and if you dare say that I dont know whats it like get a freakin clue! I date models and strippers. So dont tell me that I dont know whats its like!" - BDiddy

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 12:05 PM

no problem, I figured you probably didn't realize how small it actually was.

If you are serious about starting racing, you should really check out an SV. Look at WERA or your local orgs classfiieds. This time of year there will be tons of ready to race bikes for sale for cheap.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 12:21 PM

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that you have a 600rr.................why not just race that with WERA or CCS?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

I was thinking about the 600rr, but Ive heard that its a crasher field because there are so many people in it.

And I need a new steet bike if I turn the RR into a track bike. If I can find that 748, then Ill def be doing the 600

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 01:23 PM

I raced my F4 and rode it on the street.

After every weekend I would just put the street stuff back on it........
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 01:39 PM

600rr is a fun bike to race, but it takes some $$ to make it competitive.

You could start racing with one, but I think there are better ways to go.

First, 600s are expensive as hell to race. Obviously the bike initial cost is a lot, but after you graduate novice plan on some significant mods (5-6k) to make an rr competitive. Tires are a bitch... I get one weekend plus a trackday out of slicks ($350), and 1 weekend then some cash back selling take offs from DOTs ($200). That's per weekend. Tired of getting yarded down straights by R6s? Bump that 5-6k number up $2500 for engine work and add $100/weekend for race gas. Brake pads? $160 every other race.

Every one of the costs I listed is significantly less of middleweight twins. You can buy a really nice race ready and competitive SV race bike for probably $3k - 3500. Tires last forever, brakes last longer, and very few guys run race gas because it doesn't make nearly as big of a difference. Also, crash costs are a fraction.

Moreso though, I think there's a huge benefit in starting on a smaller bike. A lot of guys that start on 600s fall in to point and shoot habits. Lower power bikes force you to maximize what you have making you faster when you do move up. Further, they seem to be friendlier grids.

There's nothing wrong with starting in supersport, but there's a lot of compelling reasons not to.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

See Im not really a twin fan. The only one I have felt comfortable or competant on is the 748. The SV I rode I just didnt feel comfortable on the bike. Im a big dude, so Ill get yarded down straights by anyone even after the $2500 on motorwork.

Lots of good reasons for me not to use the RR. What about something like an RS250 challenge cup bike from Aprilia?

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 02:20 PM

Never ridden any of the smaller 2-strokes. They look like fun though. That said, I am also a big guy (6'4" 230... hopefully 215 next season), and I can't imagine fitting comfortably on one.

Was the SV you rode stock? The suspension sucks bad... real bad... stock. I don't like the stock ergos either. Realize though that the stock suspension has nothing in common with a race bike, and the ergos change dramitically with clip-ons and rearsets.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 02:21 PM
Lifetime Premium

get an aprilia or yamaha 250
won't save money but fun to ride!

WERA/NESBA #409
My Sponsors: Southern Gasket & Supply, LeoVince, Vortex, Chicken Hawk Racing, Pro-Tek, RK Racing Chains
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Yes the SV I rode was stock. I guess I am used to the RR for everything. The whole thing just felt like whoaa thats a limit I never found on the RR.

Ill probably talk to Big Tuna and see what he would recomend.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page