my first track day - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question my first track day

im really trying to make my first track day asap. i like riding the streets, but i want to move to the track. since i have an 05 the is my life, what precautions should i take when i go out there? should i try and find some old plastics from another bike and put them on there for track days? also, should i maybe go and watch a track day first before i make an attempt to actually ride it? thanks in advance to all the pros
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 10:19 PM
Moto GP Racer

The first rule of a track day.

If it is your first time, you must ride!

Signatures are stupid.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 10:20 PM
Moto GP Racer

Seriously, you could ride your bike as is (minus antifreeze) and understand what a track day is like. If you have access to rashed bodywork, it is not a bad idea, but not needed. ride within your limits and enjoy yourself. If you think you want to do it more, then invest the money and go all out.

Signatures are stupid.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

thanks dude. the thing is the track im going to be going to if you watch, you cant see anything from the spectator area. so thats why i was thinking maybe i could do some corner working and see how it looks the first time and actually race the 2nd time.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 10:43 PM
Moto GP Racer

Keep in mind you are not racing. You are learning.

Second of all, if you corner work or do any of that, you will over think that corner when you get there. Just find a control rider and be his best friend. That will get you comfortable with the track.

Signatures are stupid.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaf4iguy
Keep in mind you are not racing. You are learning.

Second of all, if you corner work or do any of that, you will over think that corner when you get there. Just find a control rider and be his best friend. That will get you comfortable with the track.
yea that sounds good. thanks a lot dude.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 11:19 PM
Lifetime Premium

what track?
random curiosity

WERA/NESBA #409
My Sponsors: Southern Gasket & Supply, LeoVince, Vortex, Chicken Hawk Racing, Pro-Tek, RK Racing Chains
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

outside of houston. TWS texas world speedway. close to college station
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 12:04 AM
Selling your soul?? I'm buying

when are you going? i want to go there soon.

miss my 05 cbr 600rr.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaf4iguy
Seriously, you could ride your bike as is (minus antifreeze)

Um....................not really.

Every organization I've done track days with lets you run coolant in the begginer and intermediate groups.

But you DO have to remove your mirrors and at a minimum tape up your head/tail lights and blinkers.

You can't be riding on some over used tires either. The bike must pass a safety inspection.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

tires are still perfectly ok. worn but not bad at all. im ok with removing blinkers and mirrors. and taping up the lights. but the last track day is in dec, dunno if i want to get out there with possible wet or icey conditions. but we will see. after dec track day teh next one is in feb, if i dont make it in dec, feb is plenty of time to get teh bike ready for the track and for me to get proper gear.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw1128
when are you going? i want to go there soon.
its in dec. go to www.motohouston.com and then go to the race forum and itll be in there. hit me up on aim or something and maybe we can meet up out there. first time to the track?
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 12:47 AM
Selling your soul?? I'm buying

yeah it will be the first time, im buying all the track parts right now

miss my 05 cbr 600rr.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 01:56 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If this is your first time you dont need a full set of spare bodywork. Check the organization as MOST (not all) require coolant replaced with water+water wetter. The orgs I've done trackdays with either let everyone run coolant (only a couple orgs do this) or they require everyone to replace it.

Your tires should be more than 50% and if they show any significant wear they may not pass tech inspection. Same for the brakes.

Once you do your first, you'll quickly become addicted as I did...LOL. I go at least once a month and I DID buy spare OEM bodywork on ebay (stuff already rashed up) for when I go to the track. I also bought a blem trackday upper from ebay (guys a regular seller and still sells a bunch on ebay)-all this paid for itself when I crashed 4 weeks ago at the track.

Also, you'll be alright just going for the first time, without observing first. You should go with the attitude that you're going to ride like you do on the street, only in a safer environment. Then you'll get your speed up incrementally. ALways go with a plan-something you want to accomplish when you're there, more than just going fast. Work on your lines, your vision, your body position, being smooth, etc.

And most importantly HAVE FUN! You'll likely be wearing a big **** eating grin for weeks afterwards.

Pablo...2004 cbr600rr

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 03:04 AM

just learn the track first thing you start riding and let those tires warm up. make sure your tires are new or in almost new condition and bring some spare parts like levers, extra rearsets if you can get'em. the worst thing that can happen is having to retire early incase of a spill because you don't have spare parts, happened to me one time.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 08:14 PM

just go out with the novice, you'll be fine there, thats what that class is there for.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 08:33 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
+1 for Pantablo, just remember you have like 8 sessions in a track day, and lunch. Drink LOTS of water and dont try to "win" your first few sessions. Good Luck!

BTW track fairings are CHEAP insurance, at least mids and a tail. I would highly reccommend

It only hurts while you're concious...
[email protected]

-- BOTM AUGUST 2006 --
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantablo
If this is your first time you dont need a full set of spare bodywork. Check the organization as MOST (not all) require coolant replaced with water+water wetter. The orgs I've done trackdays with either let everyone run coolant (only a couple orgs do this) or they require everyone to replace it.

Your tires should be more than 50% and if they show any significant wear they may not pass tech inspection. Same for the brakes.

Once you do your first, you'll quickly become addicted as I did...LOL. I go at least once a month and I DID buy spare OEM bodywork on ebay (stuff already rashed up) for when I go to the track. I also bought a blem trackday upper from ebay (guys a regular seller and still sells a bunch on ebay)-all this paid for itself when I crashed 4 weeks ago at the track.

Also, you'll be alright just going for the first time, without observing first. You should go with the attitude that you're going to ride like you do on the street, only in a safer environment. Then you'll get your speed up incrementally. ALways go with a plan-something you want to accomplish when you're there, more than just going fast. Work on your lines, your vision, your body position, being smooth, etc.

And most importantly HAVE FUN! You'll likely be wearing a big **** eating grin for weeks afterwards.
haha. thanks dude. i appreciate. everybody else too, i appreciate it
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 04:51 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaposer
BTW track fairings are CHEAP insurance, at least mids and a tail. I would highly reccommend
actually, if I only did one part of the bodywork it would be the upper. think about it-a crash that damages the upper will also damage the headlight. even on ebay those two things can run you $300+ to replace. The mids and tail are less important because they'd be cheaper to replace but still important. All I can say is I'm glad I had the trackday upper!

this would have required headlight and upper replacement. as is, it only requires upper fairing stay replacement...and those are my spare track mids...8^)

Pablo...2004 cbr600rr

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 02:10 PM

Curious, I'll be doing my first track day this weekend. Do you have to un-plug your speedo and tach?
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 02:20 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kekoa
Curious, I'll be doing my first track day this weekend. Do you have to un-plug your speedo and tach?
Just put tape over the speedo. Leave the tach alone.

--
Russell
'03 CBR600RR - Track - Parting out. PM for details.
'03 Tuono - Street
'01 DRZ400 - Dirt/street
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 02:32 PM
Moto GP Racer

hfa3g11,

I've been to TWS tons of times for trackdays and for races. The track is a "no brainer", in other words, a high speed non-technical track. Don't worry about it so much. Go out there and have fun. Don't treat it any different than if you were going out on a ride with your buddies.

I'm assuming you're doing the RideSmart trackday in December? Those guys are a good bunch of guys. Listen to what they have to say, don't ride above your head, and you'll have fun and load up a shiny bike when the day is done. ;)

Typically, I try to ride at about 75-85% at a trackday. There's no need to push any further. Plus, it's good to have some in reserve just in case something does happens... Oh and most importantly, RLEAX!!! It's NOT a race. Just go out there relax and have some fun. That's what it's all about, anyways, right?

Tony Wang
CMRA\CCS #206

www.myspace.com/twang1978
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mule-madness
hfa3g11,

I've been to TWS tons of times for trackdays and for races. The track is a "no brainer", in other words, a high speed non-technical track. Don't worry about it so much. Go out there and have fun. Don't treat it any different than if you were going out on a ride with your buddies.

I'm assuming you're doing the RideSmart trackday in December? Those guys are a good bunch of guys. Listen to what they have to say, don't ride above your head, and you'll have fun and load up a shiny bike when the day is done. ;)

Typically, I try to ride at about 75-85% at a trackday. There's no need to push any further. Plus, it's good to have some in reserve just in case something does happens... Oh and most importantly, RLEAX!!! It's NOT a race. Just go out there relax and have some fun. That's what it's all about, anyways, right?
yea im talkin about ridesmart in dec. if i have the boots and the leather pants by then, im def doing it. but if not, then ill just go watch. and def be ready for the season to start back up in feb. but thanks again for your help. its a huge help trust me. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page