Why is everyone all about "slicks"? - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why is everyone all about "slicks"?

Maybe I'm missing something..............but I'm just wondering why anytime I see someone posting questions about track tires they are always asking about slicks?

If you're asking about tires in the first place I can tell you that you more than likely don't need full slicks on your bike.

There are plenty of different tires/brands out there that will do you just as well for a cheaper price. Now don't get me wrong here.................you don't (read DO NOT!) want to run your stock Dunslops or another typical street tire, but a set of Diablo SuperCorsa's or equivilant will do you just fine.

Even a set of scrubs off of a racer you trust will be ten times more reliable and stickier than any street tire out there....................you can trust me on this. And most racer's will sell srcubs for about 100 bucks (I sell mine to friends for 50).

To each his own...................but that's just my .02 cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 11:08 AM
Ninja Master

i use race take-off dunebuggy tires from baja 1000. cheap and wider than stock. since they run 4 of them, i always have plenty of extras.

do they fit? of course, duh. dune buggies use wider rears and narrower fronts just like the RR. is just bend the swingarm and fork to fit the particular set i get.

Read my cactus.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

So much for a serious thread....................I feel like I'm on 600rr.com now.

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 11:30 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I hear ya. Simonster gets carried away some times.

"She's got legs that keep going and going and going and make a turd chopper out of themselves." GBord

"Ima Redneck"
Eazy E

CCS Amatuer #611
03 600RR

Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 11:33 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Hmmm...I agree and disagree at the same time. For a first timer on the track, street tires are fine. Just don't expect to go out there and try and run in the advanced class or set any track records. The first timer doesn't need to worry about buying something else to make it onto the track. If you're not having problems sliding around on the street you're certianly not going to have problems on the track. The road surface at the track offers a lot more grip then any street or road.

But I agree that track day riders do not NEED slicks and certianly shouldn't be running street tires. I don't think they have enough self control to hold back. But some people just like to run slicks so they look cool. F#@K that!! I'm running the cheapest tire I can find that offers the performance I need. For the street/track day rider the new Dunlop Qualifiers that are due out at in 2006 sound very promising. I would either go with them or the Pilot Powers for my next track day even though my 208ZR's held up just fine for my first time. I think it all boils down to the track time you're trying to run.

post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 11:33 AM
Ninja Master

what's up with people paying all that money for helmets? if you just use the packing foam you get FOR FREE with the purchase of any electronic device and duct tape it to your head, you get plenty of ventilation and a custom helmet each time!

want more style? duct tape comes in a variety of colors now!

Read my cactus.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 11:34 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargeek1975
So much for a serious thread....................I feel like I'm on 600rr.com now.
Hey now!

You'll get used to Simonster.

post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRedRider
Hmmm...I agree and disagree at the same time. For a first timer on the track, street tires are fine.
I do agree.................but I'm also talking about saving some cash by NOT running your street tires if you're an occasional or first timer to the track.

Your street tires could get torn up out there..................a set of scrubs for around 100 bones can save you some money in the long run. Much cheaper than buying a new set of street tires for 300+.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 11:40 AM

I agree that slicks for your average track rider are overkill.

I'm a firm believer in learning with less grip, and gradually upgrading as your skills improve. If you start on slicks, it would be very difficult to ever find the limit and learn to safely cross the limit (slide etc.) because the limit is so high. Further, slicks are much more expensive than DOTs, and they don't last nearly as long.

That said, in capable hands slicks are fantastic. I much prefer superbike races if for no other reason than running slicks.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 12:12 PM
WCR Racer

Example: This kids first track day (Pocono FUSA) in the B group. Stock tires from the dealer with good tread and set track tire pressure. He passed the ability of the tires and high sided late in the day. You could see on the tire where it had passed its performance. If he had Corsa Pros or equivalent he would never had wrecked.
Conclusion: Itís better to be safe and lower your odds of wrecking for first time riders and add that extra performance tire on the bike. A $210 Corsa Pro is much cheaper than bike repairs.

As for slicks. Yes they will be more grip, but only if you can get the temperature up and keep it up. Look at a pro riders tires, Himmelsbach's slicks are deep blue and purple on the out side from excessive heat and he is using slicks on race day only. Most of the Track days he is on Corsa Pros that I have seen.

773 Expert
I am the guy the track Marshal warned you about.

Sponsors are anyone who will give me money.

http://www.sponsorhouse.com/members/MeadeR
http://actionfund.roadracingworld.com/
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 12:33 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Quote:
I do agree.................but I'm also talking about saving some cash by NOT running your street tires if you're an occasional or first timer to the track.

Your street tires could get torn up out there..................a set of scrubs for around 100 bones can save you some money in the long run. Much cheaper than buying a new set of street tires for 300+.
Oh. I see what you're saying. And yes, I did chew the hell out of my brand new rear. I probably have a few thousand miles left in her though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REM6A
Example: This kids first track day (Pocono FUSA) in the B group. Stock tires from the dealer with good tread and set track tire pressure. He passed the ability of the tires and high sided late in the day. You could see on the tire where it had passed its performance. If he had Corsa Pros or equivalent he would never had wrecked.
Conclusion: Itís better to be safe and lower your odds of wrecking for first time riders and add that extra performance tire on the bike. A $210 Corsa Pro is much cheaper than bike repairs.
I can't really buy into that theory. It's too speculative. You can high-side yourself on slicks too. Then what do you blame it on? High-sides are usually due to rider error and more common towards the later part of the sessions and at the end of the track day, when the rider is getting tired. Know when to pit!

post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I can't really buy into that theory. It's too speculative. You can high-side yourself on slicks too. Then what do you blame it on? High-sides are usually due to rider error and more common towards the later part of the sessions and at the end of the track day, when the rider is getting tired. Know when to pit!

Agreed. Throttle control in a turn is paramount. Too much and it slips..........then catches and you're a goner if you can't control it. New tires or old and used...........doesn't matter.

Now a low side..................that's a different story.
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 02:52 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

My two cents are this. As soon as you get your bike, take the stock tires off and throw them in the trash! Shop around and put on a set of Diablo Corsas. They are not that expensive, they work great on the street as they heat up fairly quickly. They are wonderful on the track. Just remember, ride within your limits. If you are a beginner or even a novice racer, the Corsas will perform at level far above yours.

Slicks, leave them to the experts, they deserve the performace enhancements they provide.

Yes, throttle control is the key here. Beginner or experts, slicks or stockers, all will highside without good throttle control and NewRedRider said it, know when to pit. Pay attention to your bike as the handeling will change throught the day. And do not forget about air pressure. There is more to it than just putting on a set of tires and going racing. </End of Rant>

A thought for life;
DRESS FOR THE CRASH, NOT THE RIDE
Visit my photography web site
@ DonArmstrong.US
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 03:18 PM

low sides are rider error about 90% of the time too. Its pretty simple..you just overloaded the front. Kevin Swantz said it best with "i have never seen anybody loadside a bike on the throttle"

same with highsides....you got on the throttle too hard too early.

both are rider error and a good rider can tell when HIS TIRES ARE AT THIER LIMIT!
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 05:03 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash716
a good rider can tell when HIS TIRES ARE AT THIER LIMIT!
Well said.

Take your time and learn to listen to your bike...It has all the answers, you just have to pay attention...Pretty deep uh?

A thought for life;
@ DonArmstrong.US
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 05:24 PM

I would like to try a set of slicks for comparison at some point next track season. I've been running Bridgestone's BT002's and love them. I'm so used to the grip, feedback and wear characteristics, that it makes me reluctant to waste pricey track days on another tire. I've heard enough positive feedback on slicks to make me want to experiment at some point though.

Last edited by 96SNAKE03RR; 11-21-2005 at 05:30 PM.
post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 07:36 PM
Superbike racer

Quote:
Hmmm...I agree and disagree at the same time. For a first timer on the track, street tires are fine. Just don't expect to go out there and try and run in the advanced class or set any track records. The first timer doesn't need to worry about buying something else to make it onto the track. If you're not having problems sliding around on the street you're certianly not going to have problems on the track. The road surface at the track offers a lot more grip then any street or road. .
not always. on the street i never went fast enough to get the tires sliding around, but as a newbie on the track my street tires let go and i dropped my Aprilia Mille with 800miles on it. Street tires are for the street! Newbies do NOT need slicks...I do agree with that

CCS EX#100
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 07:59 PM

i dont know about this rant, i kind of feel you need to let people learn things on their own... if a newbie wants to put slicks on their tires on their first track day, then there is honestly not going to be any repercussion to it. Why not just give them advice and help them instead of just bashing them??? i get that alot from pros for some reason. I found out quickly that even advice you get from pros, may not always apply to you (even though most of it will). I do have a horrible story about this topic, and i really wish i would have went with my gut instict on going with medium soft power races, but as everyone else said, street tires would be fine.
post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 06:51 AM
Superbike racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidKid
i dont know about this rant, i kind of feel you need to let people learn things on their own... if a newbie wants to put slicks on their tires on their first track day, then there is honestly not going to be any repercussion to it. Why not just give them advice and help them instead of just bashing them??? i get that alot from pros for some reason. I found out quickly that even advice you get from pros, may not always apply to you (even though most of it will). I do have a horrible story about this topic, and i really wish i would have went with my gut instict on going with medium soft power races, but as everyone else said, street tires would be fine.
like i always say, street tires are for the street....track tires are for the track (no matter your skill level)

CCS EX#100
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTuna
like i always say, street tires are for the street....track tires are for the track (no matter your skill level)

Best comment yet in this thread!!
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 10:06 AM

the pilot powers are street/track tires, but leaning more towards the street.
post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 10:11 AM

I remember putting up a post asking about slicks because in recent track days I've come to grow out of my stock suspension and 'street legal' tires. I've found that the bike and tires are what are now holding me back, not my riding ability. Following the same line and riding style as my friend with a tracked out 600RR my mostly stock bike won't hold the line without the front tire 'floating' at speed and the rear tire washing out a lot. I agree that street tires are good enough for novices but some kinder advice would be helpful for those of us who are moving up to the level where suspension and tire mods become a neccesity, not a desire.
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclescientific
I remember putting up a post asking about slicks because in recent track days I've come to grow out of my stock suspension and 'street legal' tires. I've found that the bike and tires are what are now holding me back, not my riding ability. Following the same line and riding style as my friend with a tracked out 600RR my mostly stock bike won't hold the line without the front tire 'floating' at speed and the rear tire washing out a lot. I agree that street tires are good enough for novices but some kinder advice would be helpful for those of us who are moving up to the level where suspension and tire mods become a neccesity, not a desire.
If you really are outgrowing your current equipment, then there are a lot of different directions to go. I'd ask what you weigh, and what your riding goals are.

As you start to push the limits of your equipment more, crash protection is always a good thing. Race bodywork, rearsets, clip-ons etc.

The weak point of the RR suspension is the rear shock. Also, If you are 180+, resprung/revalved forks will do wonders for your front end.

What type of "street legal" tires are you running? If you're on stock tires, then its probably time to upgrade. If you're already on DOT race, I'd be suprised if your actually riding beyond them. The difference between DOT race and slicks is not as large as you think, but slicks are harder to really learn to master the limits of your bike on IMO because of the way they break loose.
post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 11:43 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Street tires are for riding on the street.
Diablo Corsas & Pilot Powers are made for aggressive street riding & track days.
Slicks are for racing on a track.

Common sense tells us this. Letís look at the facts.

Category A: It is a well known fact that the stock tires are made out of a compound that will provide longer mileage at the expense of performance. This makes the tire harder and slicker on the pavement. If you are cruising around and have no intention or desire to ride aggressively, then the stock tires are for you. Case closed.

Category B: For those of us who ride "at times somewhat aggressively" on the street, and an occasional track day, we need a tire compound that falls in between the stocks and slicks. The two best choices are the Diablo Corsas and the Pilot Powers. Stock tires are bad choice here and slicks are definitely a worse choice. Slicks on the streets = suicide.

Category C: Racing slicks are made of a compound that once heated properly become very sticky. They are expensive and do not last more than one or two good weekends. If a beginner racer can afford this, then he or she is better off. Remember, these tires need to be heated up properly in order to perform as designed. This sport is no different than any other. After you have all of your safety gear, buy the best equipment you can afford.

Now, if you are a member of this forum, then I am pretty sure you do not fall into category A. If you do, the stock tires become a hazard. We all have ridden aggressively on the streets at some time. And early on, in our "just learning" days, we have all experienced the front & rear tire slip while riding aggressively. Some have crashed; some have had the you know what scared out of them. I know of a few guys that have quit the sport because of an incident or crash. Now I am not saying these incidents were caused by the stock tires but if they had just a little bit more traction, things may have been different.

During your learning curve, you should have already had your suspension tuned for your weight. Then the tires become more of an issue. Once you have began to push the intermediate tires to their limit, then you either jump up to the slicks and accept all the financial outlay to come or back up a little and stay where you are.

But by saying "you don't need slicks" at the track, is not exactly right. While you may not be able to use them to their full potential, you will get better performance from the slicks that you will from the stock tires. But they will need to be heated up properly. Tire warmers are a must, and a generator to power them? Now you are talking some serious cash. Most beginners do not have these resources. So an intermediate tire becomes the logical choice. So before you buy that new slip-on or power commander, invest in a set of tires that will complement your riding style.

Better yet, find yourself a mentor. men∑tor ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mntŰr, -tr)
n. A wise and trusted counselor or teacher. You only need ONE mentor. And follow his or her advice to the letter. He or she will be one of the faster and more respected racers on the track and has already done all the leg work and crashing in order to gain the knowledge needed to be fast and safe.

I, personally have a mentor and I have learned so much more than I would have on my own. And with less expense than learning by crashing.

A thought for life;
@ DonArmstrong.US

Last edited by pc911x; 11-22-2005 at 11:45 AM. Reason: typo
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotch2
If you really are outgrowing your current equipment, then there are a lot of different directions to go. I'd ask what you weigh, and what your riding goals are.

As you start to push the limits of your equipment more, crash protection is always a good thing. Race bodywork, rearsets, clip-ons etc.

The weak point of the RR suspension is the rear shock. Also, If you are 180+, resprung/revalved forks will do wonders for your front end.

What type of "street legal" tires are you running? If you're on stock tires, then its probably time to upgrade. If you're already on DOT race, I'd be suprised if your actually riding beyond them. The difference between DOT race and slicks is not as large as you think, but slicks are harder to really learn to master the limits of your bike on IMO because of the way they break loose.

The basic goal is to try out WERA novice next year. I've done quite a few tracks days this year (Road Atlanta and Barber) and in that process have gone from novice to intermediate in two sessions on my first track day, and then would have easily bumped to advanced at the nesba Road Atlanta last weekend had I not just wanted to ride with my buddy in intermediate on sunday and would feel very comfortable riding advanced group with stt. I'm not trying to brag here - just saying what level I ride. I'm 6'1" and about 195lbs. I already have race body work, vortex rear-sets and clipons, steel-braided brake lines, aftermarket brake pads, full exhaust, race leathers, etc, etc. but admittedly I've held-off on suspension since it's so expensive and I don't know any 'experts' which I think is necessary and I don't want to drop the cash as of yet. I've been running the pilot power streets and I find that they get a bit skiddish, especially on a cold track or high speed turns like Road Atlanta turn 12 (I even used tire warmers) as compared to the slicks some of my friends were running. Basically I'm trying to figure out whether or not there is a big difference between lets say the pilot power races and true slicks and for the really fast riders out there, at what point you make the switch.
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc911x
Street tires are for riding on the street.
Diablo Corsas & Pilot Powers are made for aggressive street riding & track days.
Slicks are for racing on a track.

I raced the WERA Mid-Atlantic Region in the 600cc Supersport and Superstock classes on Diablo SuperCorsa's. So I would say that they also fall into the full on "race" category you have there.

And I would have to check the rule book to be precise; but I don't believe I'm even ALLOWED to run full on slicks in those classes.

And if WERA ain't racing then I don't know what is...........................
post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 11:06 PM

Quote:
I raced the WERA Mid-Atlantic Region in the 600cc Supersport and Superstock classes on Diablo SuperCorsa's. So I would say that they also fall into the full on "race" category you have there.

And I would have to check the rule book to be precise; but I don't believe I'm even ALLOWED to run full on slicks in those classes.

And if WERA ain't racing then I don't know what is...........................
I didn't even think of that but you're right. I looked at WERA's rulebook and slicks aren't even allowed for supersport (superstock) unless I mis-interpreted the manual. Good advice. I guess i need to see what I can make a set of DOT race tires do (namely, I've heard a lot about pilot power race but I'll def. look into the diablos. Thanks.
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 11:30 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

The reason for the ?'s is simple. new people heading or going to the track just dont know! Slicks are a mystery to most people cuz they have never used them or heard any info. But lets be honest, only about 5% riders at a track day can use slicks to the fullest. and the other 95% would be fine with race tires
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zus600rr#388
The reason for the ?'s is simple. new people heading or going to the track just dont know! Slicks are a mystery to most people cuz they have never used them or heard any info. But lets be honest, only about 5% riders at a track day can use slicks to the fullest. and the other 95% would be fine with race tires

If you read my first post in this thread.................that was exactly what I said.

I didn't post this thread to ask why there are so many people who don't understand about tires only, it was also to help to educate them.
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 09:35 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

okay fine there retards , just like the ? at hand.
(no hard feelings)but

It's kind of like asking, why wear a full face and not a half? they both protect your head.

It's cuz people just dont know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page