Going to California Speedway - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Going to California Speedway

First time to this track, first time on ANY track! Any suggestions/recommendations? Any hints on general "track etiquette"?
Already found out on a test run this Sunday that my new Galfer brake pads are CRAP! Should have stuck to the stock stuff...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 08:44 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerranger
First time to this track, first time on ANY track! Any suggestions/recommendations? Any hints on general "track etiquette"?
Already found out on a test run this Sunday that my new Galfer brake pads are CRAP! Should have stuck to the stock stuff...
What Galfer compound did you get? Did you prep your rotors and properly wear in the pads? I race on Galfer HH pads, as yes there are more expensive and perphaps better pads, but you should be fine as a novice on Galfer HH pads if you prepped everything correctly.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

I would have resurfaced the rotors if that was possible, all I did was slap um on!
I probably should rephrase most of what I said earlier. They DO stop snappy at slower speeds, Maybe I had unrealistic expectations stopping from about 120...
Thing is, I'm not really used to breaking hard for any corner. Usually I got a pretty nice flow going, without much of any breaking. I guess I'll be practicing that this weekend.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 09:57 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
If they are the HH compound and you prep the rotors and break the pads in correctly they will stop very well at much higher speeds than 120. I'm running Galfer SBK lines as well though so maybe that isn't a fair comparison. The green Galfer pads suck badly, but the HH are good if you do everything else.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 10:05 PM

California Speedway is one of the best tracks on the coast because it has it all. Lots of turns and a huge front straight. Just have a good time, who needs brakes there anyway? just downshift once and tip it down into 1
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 11:36 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
DAMN YOU! I was supposed to be going nov 26 but my collarbone wont cooperate...supposed to be fastest track around, even faster than willow, and more interesting. Have fun!

Pablo...2004 cbr600rr

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 02:01 AM
World Superbike Racer

Best thing to do is to take that new riders school that Fastrackriders offers. I think it's like $125. It's money well spent as they do class instruction in between sessions for the first part of the day. You'll learn plenty. There's a guy named Matias that's great, he taught me how to drop knee, I was doing it all wrong before.

If you do that class, come try to look for me in the afternoon and I'll show you pointers around the track. I have an all primered 600rr, and the plastics look pretty dirty/beat up. I'm the filipino dude with a big smile on his face because the track is so fun :)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 02:03 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantablo
DAMN YOU! I was supposed to be going nov 26 but my collarbone wont cooperate...supposed to be fastest track around, even faster than willow, and more interesting. Have fun!
hope you get better soon pantablo. I know how you feel. I was out for a month a few months back and it was a pain to come to the boards and read how much fun everyone was having. Just make sure you heal up pretty good before coming back on. See you on the track.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Hey primered Fillipino, are you in the Group III? And Mosquito, ABSOLUTELY! Brakes are overrrated!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 06:49 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Hey primered Fillipino, are you in the Group III? And Mosquito, ABSOLUTELY! Brakes are overrrated!
lol, I'll be in the advanced group but just look for me around the paddock with some other asian looking guys. Everyone's real cool, just cruise up and ask for Ryan.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 11:28 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by predikt
hope you get better soon pantablo. See you on the track.
actually you'll probably see me AT the track. I will probably go and hang with a few friends I havent seen in a while. They're mostly riding in level 3. I'll be kicking it in the morning mostly. I'll look around for you guys and say hi.

Pablo...2004 cbr600rr

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 12:39 AM
World Superbike Racer

okay cool. see out there then.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 05:20 PM
Moto GP Racer

who was on the black RR wearing black/red honda leathers?

Pablo...2004 cbr600rr

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Didn't see a black RR in my group (with red leathers). Did have a black and black, though. He was fast and smooth. This was my first track experience and I can tell you the only thing I didn't like all day was my bike starting to shudder at about 135 and up. Top speed (on my speedo) today was 152. Mosquito was absolutely right, down one and tip into first! Love it! Only one bad crash today, happened right in front of me. Guy started with a bad headshake, ending in a horrific crash straight into some bales of hay, bike was up in the air landed ON the fence. I thought the guy was dead. I was bad and I stopped off on the grass to see if I could help. Shoulda kept going, I felt like a real noob after that. I guess instinct just kicked in, you know, Someone crashes and you stop to direct traffic, move debris, first aid, etc. Not done that way one a track, I know now. I wonder how he is, he was airlifted out...
Last session was the best, I felt I had the track to myself, got into a groove, it was nice.
All in all, Fasttrackriders put on a good show, very professional. Worth the money. Going again in February.
Special thanks to RRoc, for providing me with a ride and everything else! Next time, Doug, we're going to have to bring assistants to cater to our every need, massages and bike stand duty, etc
So, next time: balance wheels properly for no vibrations at 140 plus, clear windscreen, sleep more the night before, buy truck with front wheel locking stand thingy, bring assistant.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Oh I forgot

WOOOHHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 11:53 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantablo
who was on the black RR wearing black/red honda leathers?

oops, I meant on saturday, when I was visiting. his leathers were all black with red honda wings across chest, on an all black RR.

Fontana looks like fun.
One bad crash I saw saturday too-guy didnt get up past his knees, then back down...looked all too familiar.

152? turn the throttle more. The front straight on willow is good for 150-152. fontana has got to be good for a little more...on second thought maybe not-my friends on literbikes are only good for 165 on the front straight.

Glad you had fun! Empty your wallet now...

Pablo...2004 cbr600rr

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 11:02 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Thanks powerranger for going,I had a blast.

Sun. was a great time, except for the wind.Sat. was much better weather conditions. the speeds on the front straight could of been more. after a couple sessions coming onto the front straight i had my chin on my tank and getting as small as i can behind the bubble never done that before and at times saw speeds of 147, 149, 151 then bang one gear down and dip it into one it was great!!!!

You looked good out there and picked the lines up quick I think you did great for the first time but can you see what boris was talking about level 2 has alot of mixed riders in it.

The helicopter thing kind freaked me out alittle and opted to sit the last 2 sessions out and watch.
Fastrack is organized and worth it.
Looking forward to next time.

Make sure to check my spelling,I was out riding during most of high school
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 03:03 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Oh I forgot

WOOOHHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

haha, that's awesome. I say woohoo all the time at the track days. Speaking of which, I just hit up Laguna Seca today, freaking awesome to see what those Moto GP guys see. You guys need to try that track out before the next Moto GP if you can. Well worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page