Do you recommend Keith Code Superbike School? - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Do you recommend Keith Code Superbike School?

I'm seriously considering attending on April 1st at Streets of Willow. Probably do Level 1 since it'll be my first.

Anyone been? Please share you experience.

tia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 02:01 PM
Superbike racer

My 1st track day experience was with CSS. I did a two day school (level I&II) a few years ago. If you are new to the track I think that you will enjoy the school and will get a lot out of it. There was a lot of track time and classroom time.

However if you have been doing track days for awhile I think level I is probably too basic...

CCS EX#100
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 06:51 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Best money I ever spent. Period.

I did Level 1 at Firebird in Phoenix, Level 2 at Streets of Willow, and Levels 3-4 at Barber. (Barber rules, btw...awesome track!) It made a huge difference in my riding, and gave me a whole bunch of things to work on when I do regular track days.

My wife had a really great experience there. She had been riding about 3 years, but really hadn't gotten any better in the last year or so. Her skills got to a certain level and just stopped there. She didn't want to take the school because she "wasn't interested in being a racer", etc. When we actually got to the track (Streets of Willow), she was almost physically sick because she was so nervous. By the end of the day, she was bitching because she didn't sign up for Level 2 the following day. :) She did Level 2 a few weeks later also at Streets, then did Level 3 with me at Barber in September. Her riding is SOOO much better than it was before and she's much more comfortable and confident on the bike.

The Code people are very professional and organized. The instructors know the curriculum very well and understand the teaching methods that are required to get you to understand. They're fun people, too....great to talk to and very passionate about what they do. They cater breakfast and snacks, which are quite good (fresh fruit, etc), and they bring lunch in from an outside vendor (usually ham and cheese or something like that). The off-track bikes (no-BS, lean/slide, etc) are really fun and very good learning tools. I just about messed myself the first time I got the rear end to break loose on the slide bike, but after a few times, it was really fun to wack the throttle open, then stand the bike up and let it drift around the corner with no worries of having it spit me off.

The other thing that I really like about the Superbike school, is they don't tolerate any crap. If you're being a squid, you're going to get yanked off the track and told the error of your ways. If you don't straighten up, they'll throw your ass out in a heartbeat. Their course control people are anal-retentive nazis...which is perfect because it ensures that you've got a safe, sane environment out there to ride in. It really takes a bunch of the pressure and nerves out of track riding.

--
Russell
'03 CBR600RR - Track - Parting out. PM for details.
'03 Tuono - Street
'01 DRZ400 - Dirt/street

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 07:00 PM
Nemesis

One of my friend took all four levels and said II and IV was not worth it.

I took three levels and would have to agree level II was a waste.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
One of my friend took all four levels and said II and IV was not worth it.

I took three levels and would have to agree level II was a waste.
I hear leve 1 was a waste?? I mean its for people who have never...ever been on the track. Well, I hope to put my deposit in for the april even soon.

thanks for the input guys.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 07:23 PM
Nemesis

Level I is not a waste. That's where you learn A LOT!!! Level II is pretty much a repeat of Level I which is why it was sorta a waste.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 10:04 PM
Pocketbike Racer

My take:

Level 1 was VERY good. If you've been riding a long time and have lots of other training, there's probably no new information. But I still think it's a good thing because it's never bad to go back to reinforce the basics.

You get to ride the steering bike they basically want to see that you don't ross-control the bike.

Level 2 is almost all visual skills. VERY important, but not the same sort of instant gratification that you get from the more physical skills from Level 1.

You ride the lean bike and they teach you how to hang off. VERY helpful (for me, anyway.)

Level 3 is all body position and I thought it was mind-bogglingly good.

They follow you with a camera bike and take video of your riding. All Level 3 students gather at the end of the day for a video debrief. Tremendously helpful. (I can post my video for your entertainment, if anyone's interested.)

Level 4 is basically directed studies...they help you work on whatever you're having trouble with.

You get to ride the slide bike and learn how to control the bike when you get wheelspin.

I liked all four levels very much. The most rewarding for me was Level 3, but I really liked the personal attention and the feedback you get in Level 4. Level 2 was very good, but it takes a while to start realizing the benefits...the skills are mental and take a while to figure out.

--
Russell
'03 CBR600RR - Track - Parting out. PM for details.
'03 Tuono - Street
'01 DRZ400 - Dirt/street
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page