First track day...take the school or not? - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
cyclesector.com

Feedback Score: 85 reviews
First track day...take the school or not?

So I am finally going to get myself a track day in Feb. and I was considering taking the beginner school with fastrackriders.com. I have been riding consistently for over a year and I feel I could handle a track day without the school, but I'm wondering if the extra instruction is worth $125. Can you guys help me out with this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 12:49 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I would do the school... Since its your first track day and your kinda new to riding.. . Since its only 125 more doesn't seem like a bad deal..
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 12:51 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I didnt do the school but have taken advantage of the control riders at various trackdays. I think instruction is worth it. no experience with fastrack except they put on good trackdays and people speak highly of the instruction.

Having said that, try a trackday with http://www.sportbiketracktime.com/ as they include instruction for free and I've also heard good things about them.

either way, be prepared to dump your wallet into tires and trackdays because its addicting like crazy.

Pablo...2004 cbr600rr

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 02:17 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've discussed this extensively locally. We've come to the conclusion that it would be best to attend one or two trackdays in the beginner group with the control riders to get a feel for the track and learn the layout, That way, when you do the school, you are able to put all your focus on learning the techniques they teach, and not have to get aquainted with the track at the same time.

I rear ended a car a few days ago.......

The driver got out of the other car, and he was a DWARF!!

He was pissed!

He looked up at me and said "I am NOT happy!"

I said, "Then which one are you?"

*****Join the revolution*****
*****http://www.ronpaul2008.com/*****
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 02:20 AM

Take the school. To be brutally honest...as a street rider you don't know jack. Don't worry, no one does on their first track day. You will learn more in one day than in the past year...
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 06:13 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yes to gettig more educated . . . . . the Pridmore school is worth your $$$ also. . . . Jason's dad Rich can really rip ass ! ! ! ! . . . I'll try to join you for that trackday too ;o)

Always passing Gixxer's on the outside ! ! ! . . . .

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 07:58 AM
WCR Racer

Take the school, they will teach you things you could not possibly know about the track.

773 Expert
I am the guy the track Marshal warned you about.

Sponsors are anyone who will give me money.

http://www.sponsorhouse.com/members/MeadeR
http://actionfund.roadracingworld.com/
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 08:08 AM
Knee Dragger

There's a huge difference from the street to the track. Take the school you will be glad you did.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 08:09 AM

Take the school, you will probably learn that you didn't know near as much as you thought you did. Street riding teaches you nothing about riding on the track, it is two totally different worlds.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 03:15 PM

Take The School!
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 03:23 PM

I would have to know what the school teaches first.................

If it's anything like the ART class that TPM teaches I would say to skip it if you honestly and truely are fast out there. You would be bored to tears.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 05:13 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

isn't riding the track consider taking a safety course for insurance purposes? can you actually get ur insurance lowered by getting certificates saying u passed track school?

05' RR Repsol replica
Prototype Demon Eyez
DIY Smoked Windscreen
DIY Custom Guages (Red)
Custom engine compartment LED string(Red)
Two BrosC2 C/F S/O
PCIII
Vortex Sprockets
StompGrips
Hotbodies flushmounts
black powdercoated swingarm,rearsets,pass pegs

~..Godspeed Cesario..~

www.myspace.com/mark_xbike
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrikyWoo
isn't riding the track consider taking a safety course for insurance purposes? can you actually get ur insurance lowered by getting certificates saying u passed track school?

I doubt it. Insurance companies are more concerned with defensive riding courses like MSF or Rider's Edge.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 05:25 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'd vote for the school as well..

^chka0tic :: WERA N#721 :: 2003 Honda CBR600RR
- OverTwo Customs / http://www.overtwocustoms.com/
- Vortex Racing / www.vortexracing.com
- RK Chain / www.rkexcelamerica.com
- Lockhart Phillips / www.teamprivateer.com
-
- www.sponsorhouse.com/members/chkaotic
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltedworld
Take the school. To be brutally honest...as a street rider you don't know jack. Don't worry, no one does on their first track day. You will learn more in one day than in the past year...
Amen to that.....
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 11:56 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

without even needing to read what anyone else has written, I have to say that from an instructors and riders standpoint you would sesrver your (and everyone elses) interests best by taking the school.

You need to look at the honest truth that you have NO trackday experience at all. And thats not a bad thing. Everyone needs to start somewhere.

But consider this; You get your own personal track guide. You get instruction on how to use reference points, cones and markers. You HAVE to know what all the flags mean and how to react to them at pace.

You also do not know anyone in the organization. This gives you an opportunity to meet some people and also get assistance with any of your setup.

Take the school, do a few track days then look at taking a focused class or an advanced class. This will yield you the best result. Waiting a few days to "maximize" your track school experience sounds like a good idea but it is more like a nail in a coffin. I could probably teach you more in a paragraph or 10 minutes with a dry erase board than you would pick up over 2 track days ridinng by yourself. It's not because I am some amazing instructor but because there is simply no replacment for experience in this sport. If you negate taking the class to "maximize" your actual instruction for all you know, you can total your bike by making a simple mistake that you would of learned how to deal with or not do on day 1.

One good sentence from an instructor can add years of value and benefit to your riding.

So do yourself, friends, family members and fellow track riders a favor by taking the class. If it turns out to be what you deem a joke then so be it. But if you walk away with one valuable piece of information you can use then its done its job. Be smart, be methodical, be constructed in your approach to getting aquainted with the track and getting up to pace. You will find it works much better that way.

And even though I am a coach and have expert-class race status, I still ask for advice regualarly and I still go to track schools.

NE/Mid-Atlantic CCS/ASRA #973
2006 NE CCS/LRRS Amateur Champion
MW SuperSport, MW Superbike, MW Grand Prix, HW SuperSport, HW Superbike, UNL SuperSport, UNL Superbike

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 12:03 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargeek1975
If it's anything like the ART class that TPM teaches I would say to skip it if you honestly and truely are fast out there. You would be bored to tears.
Just be careful with the advice that you give others. He may not be in the same performance category as you were when you got involved with track riding.

I have some people that don't belong in the ART basic class but have to take it as per rules of every track club out there. Then there are people that should take it more than once and have an assigned coach all day. People fall across the whole spectrum.

You just can't assume a persons ability or make assumptions based upon your previous experience.

I always say, if ever in doubt, ask. That is why there are coaches and instructors. And if you are concerened about your ability or want to step it up, take a class.

In my quest to make it to the AMA (if to at least qualify for an event) I will be spending a pretty chunk of change on professional instruction. And it's always the smallest piece of information that has seemed to make the biggest difference to me.

NE/Mid-Atlantic CCS/ASRA #973
2006 NE CCS/LRRS Amateur Champion
MW SuperSport, MW Superbike, MW Grand Prix, HW SuperSport, HW Superbike, UNL SuperSport, UNL Superbike

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 12:15 PM

That's why I said this:
Quote:
I would have to know what the school teaches first.................
And this:
Quote:
if you honestly and truely are fast out there.

I do think schools are a good idea, even taken one myself (Ed Bargy) and plan on others.

But you don't neccesarilly need a school of instruction to be in the beginner group for a track day, if you are fast. I know that fast is a relative term and the track is just that; a track.

But you know that type of rider I'm talking about....................you've ridden with that certain guy who's never set foot on a track, but when you get out there with him on those windy roads he's keeping up with you or you're having a hard time keeping up with him.

IF this guy happens to be someone like that then an intro class to a track day is a pointless waste of time.

Teach him the flags and other basics and let him go. Most beginner groups don't let you pass on the inside and even some don't let you pass in a turn at all.

If he's being given the choice then he has a choice; to school or not to school. Asking dudes on an internet board who have never seen him ride is prolly not the best way to find that deciding factor.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 04:08 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I think the money would be well spent on the school. Getting some one on one with someone giving you firsthand feedback really helps. You'll be glad you did it.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 09:24 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco
So I am finally going to get myself a track day in Feb. and I was considering taking the beginner school with fastrackriders.com. I have been riding consistently for over a year and I feel I could handle a track day without the school, but I'm wondering if the extra instruction is worth $125. Can you guys help me out with this?
Disco, it's worth it. Even if you ride the canyons 20 million times a year, riding on the track is so much different. There's riding lines to consider, maybe your body positioning is not as it should be, they'll help with you setting up the gears and tips for sections of the track. It really is worth it in my opinion. I've ridden a full track year and I still think instruction will help to improve your riding on and off the track.

Good luck and you're going to have a blast. Say goodbye to a low balance on your credit cards and goodbye to the cash in your bank...you're definitely going to get addicted!!! :)
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 07:26 AM
Superbike racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoung57
I've discussed this extensively locally. We've come to the conclusion that it would be best to attend one or two trackdays in the beginner group with the control riders to get a feel for the track and learn the layout, That way, when you do the school, you are able to put all your focus on learning the techniques they teach, and not have to get aquainted with the track at the same time.
discuss it again, cause you and your buddies are wrong. a proper school will walk the track with you and point out the proper turn in points, reference points and proper lines for the track you are riding. That way you don't spend a day wasting your time learning the wrong lines.

CCS EX#100
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 11:39 AM

There is nothing worse than learning and becoming comfortable with bad habits. Take the school. I have never seen anyone get slower after a school but I have seen almost everone get a lot faster after the school.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 12:01 PM
Nemesis

Take the school first. Why? Because the chances of you crashing on your first trackday is high if you're a noob or just a street rider. And you'll be focused more on your fear of making that turn which can have severe consequences.

Yeah, you can take it slow (15 mph...hahaha) but you may just get in the way of others. And besides, you want to go fast (as fast as your brain can handle) and take the good fast lines.

Take the school--Learn to ride with confidence.

Last edited by Nemesis; 12-18-2005 at 12:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page