Found the bike. Now what? - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Found the bike. Now what?

I have found a bike to use as my track bike. Now how do I go about track days. I have read about classes you must take to be eligible for a racing license. Safety requirements for the bike differ if you intend to race or just ride the track. If someone could give me some guideance that would be great. I live in Virginia and have two tracks near me 1) VIR and 2) Summit Point. Both offer classes I just need advice. Again thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 09:30 PM

I would reccomend that you contact the sanctioning body putting on the events. Different organizations have certain requirements. Most will definetly require leathers (1 piece preferred 2 piece have to be leather with a zipper to zip the jacket to pants) Gloves, Helmet in good condition, Boots (depends on the organization) and bike requirements range from removing mirrors, turn signals and anything that could come loose in a crash, disconnecting and taping the headlight / tailight, and removing the antifreeze from the radiator and replacing with water. Again these are just some of the requirments where I ride some places could be more or less stringent.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 12:46 PM
World Superbike Racer

ENG619LT,
Start off slow by doing track days first. Prepare your bike for track days first and as you attend more track days, you'll find out about the cost involved with riding the track and potentially racing the bike.

You'll want to have experience just riding the track anyways to gauge if you're ready to race. If you're not filthy rich, you'll have to figure out how to fund for everything so just start doing track days to find out about the costs.

Different Track Day organizations will run at the same tracks but sometimes have different requirements. Check here at quasi888's site that he made for finding out local events: http://www.trackdaycentral.com

Feel free to ask anymore questions. Good luck.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENG619LT
I have found a bike to use as my track bike. Now how do I go about track days. I have read about classes you must take to be eligible for a racing license. Safety requirements for the bike differ if you intend to race or just ride the track. If someone could give me some guideance that would be great. I live in Virginia and have two tracks near me 1) VIR and 2) Summit Point. Both offer classes I just need advice. Again thanks for the help.

Where in Va? In Va Beach myself...............been to both VIR and Summit plenty of times...............

The safety requirements for racing and track days might be exactly the same, depend's on the racing organization your are reffering to as well as which track day organization...........

Here's the *usual* requirements for track days.........

Beginner and intermediate groups ONLY require you to have removed or taped up all of your lights and mirrors. That's it. Some might require number plates.

For an expert group you *usually* have to have (some) stuff lockwired; anything with liquid behind it, as well as having replaced your coolant with water (and water wetter if you so choose).

They will do a saftey inspection of the bike regardless of what group you are in. This entails basics; tires in good condition, throttle snaps back, all the brakes work and pads aren't too worn. If you are in the expert group they will also check the lockwiring.

For racing it's almost the same........but you have to have (at the least) something under your engine that can hold so many gallons of fluid. Race plastics take care on this with the one piece lowers. They of course will require the lockwiring but they do go overboard a tad imho. You also have to at least use some silicon on your exhaust brackets and some other stuff; or you could just lockwire it.

I'm reffering to WERA by the way.

To race you do need to attend some sort of race school. WERA will offer this school on the Saturday of the first race weekend, you will miss the solo's on Saturday but will be able to race in the sprints on Sunday.

Or you could do what I did (because I didn't want to miss the first race of the season) and attend another race school. I attended the Ed Bardy Race School down at Jennings about 2 weeks before the first race weekend. It's a great class and I highly recommend it. His class even counts as a signature on your Provisional Novice license.

You must make it through two full weekends as a Provisional Novice and wear some sort of brightly colored T-shirt over your leathers so that everyone will know that you're a provisional. Then after two race weekends without wrecking or any incidents you will become a regular Novice Racer and not have to wear that shirt. You must get a signature sometime during teh weekend though...............

If you have any questions just ask................if I don't know the answer I can get it for you. I recommend going to WERA's homepage and reading their rule book online. It should also answer any questions you might have.

Good luck out there!!!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the info. This will at least help me get started in the right direction. I already have a street 05 RR. I got a deal on another bike. The bike I purchased is ready for the track. No need to do anything except have it checked over good by someone who can ensure it is good to go for the track. SARGEEK1975: I live in Falmouth, just above Fredericksburg. about 4hours form the beach. Thanks for helping me out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page