How can you make race weekends easier... - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking How can you make race weekends easier...

Hey guys, I am looking for some recommendations on how to make it easier to get to the track, get our pitts set up, and keep things moving smoothly.

When we get ready to leave town headed to races it always takes forever to get everything packed up and get going. And the same thing at the track getting set up.

I have a 6' X 12' trailer, two or three race bikes between us and tons of stuff to bring. I need to be more time efficient.

Also; what do you use to put on the ground in your pitts?

Thanks for any help or ideas!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 08:48 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

1) check list
2) make sure everyone is helping not watching
3) one vehical (big truck)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 10:19 PM

start packing and preparing a day before you are leaving.

Departure Checklist
Arrival Checklist

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 11:31 PM
Pocketbike Racer

I can't help with race stuff since I don't race, but here's my advice:

Come up with a system. Figure out what works and do it the same every time. Use a checklist for packing/unpacking. If you have pretty much the same people every time, assign everyone a job that they're responsible for. Practice. Seriously...invite the whole crew over and practice loading/unloading/setup/teardown.

Since you have an enclosed trailer, you might have the ability to leave a bunch of your stuff in the trailer. Spend some time setting up the trailer with hooks/racks, tiedown eyes, etc to make it easier and faster to load/unload.

My wife and I Sport Tour on our BMW bikes and after a few years, I finally wised up. I used to spend all night before a big trip finding all of our grear, accessories, tools, spares, and electronics. Then I spent some time and money getting everything so that it's basically ready to go at all times. All of our gear stays in the saddlebags, electronics are either already on the bike, or on chargers on a shelf in the garage. Instead of moving some tools from my toolchest in the garage to the bike, I just bought duplicates of everything that I carry on trips and keep it on the bike at all times. All I need to do to be ready to go on a trip is pack whatever street clothes I want, toss the camera in the tankbag, and we're ready to rock and roll.

Another thing that really helped us was we started taking care of any cleanup/maintenance tasks immediately after a trip instead of saving them until right before a trip. If we come back from a trip with worn out tires, I spoon on new tires the week after we get home. Same with regular service stuff like oil changes. Any gear that needs to be cleaned is washed right away and put back in the bikes so it's ready to go.

Really, the biggest things that will help are planning and organization. Take some time to figure out what takes the most time and what you could do to streamline those things.

--
Russell
'03 CBR600RR - Track - Parting out. PM for details.
'03 Tuono - Street
'01 DRZ400 - Dirt/street
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Keep the good info and ideas comming...

Thanks for your inputs...I have been trying to avoid buying a lot of new tools because of the expense, but I think with the shelving systems in the trailer I could save a lot of time by picking what I use the most and leaving them in there.

Keep the ideas and insight comming!!!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 11:51 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

I always make sure to prepare and still manage to get anxious.
Not sleep the night before and start the day exhausted.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 01:54 AM

I've found that the more people you have the longer it takes; that's why I usually try to pack all my own gear.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

Sarg,

That's cool that you are in VA Beach, I live in Newport News. What are you going to race this year? I think you are the first person from Hampton Roads I have met who races. We will have to trade notes or something.

Later,

Scott
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 06:37 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
pack your own sh!T! helps you find it when you need it in a hurry.. make sure all the people in the pitts that you have helping you know where it is too.. if you can convince someone who is going to be around during the race to pack the trailer for you thats even better because then THEY know where everything is when they need it in the pits...

Label everything!!

make a list of where it is, mount a white dry erase board in the trailer somewhere...

Write down bin #'s with certain parts in them
write down schedules for the day, times, whatever is important

get a set of rolling tool boxes... instead of having to take stuff in and out of the trailer you just take the boxes with you. the fewer the better so get a big one..

and yeah, the fewer people PACKING the faster it goes...
but get everyone to bring stuff to the edge of the trailer to be packed, or to take out of the trailer (unpack) and then you can sort through it and put it where it needs to go.

make this into some kind of system and your good to go.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 01:16 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Agree with everyone's opinions thus far.
If you must travel in a group, make sure everyone else knows the drill. Make sure every knows where everything is to be packed and where it goes once you're at the track.

Minimize your gear. I used to roll in a Nissan Frontier with cabin loaded, a 8X10 enclosed trailer loaded, and a scooter in the bed of the truck. In Japan I was forced to minimize and found I can race just as effectively carrying only the essentials in a mini van. Racers are usually really nice dudes, so if you need something you don't have don't be afraid to ask. Then make sure you pack that item next time.
; P

Word...

Rich DeRousse
http://www.rocketjockeyracing.com
"If you can't be fast, be flashy!"
'76 CB750 SOHC (Cafe Racer)
'04 PocketBike
'07 Honda CBR600RR
'10 BMW S1000RR (Race-only)
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaz
Sarg,

That's cool that you are in VA Beach, I live in Newport News. What are you going to race this year? I think you are the first person from Hampton Roads I have met who races. We will have to trade notes or something.

Later,

Scott

Cool bro!

We have a race team that raced last year............the WERA 600cc Supersport and Superstock categories in the North Eastern region.

Soooooo....................we'll see ya at VIR in March!!!

We have a TWT every week in Va Beach if you ever wanna head on down...............but here's our club's section on Cycleforums if you wanna check us out; kinda dead now though:

http://www.cycleforums.com/forums/fo...s=&forumid=248
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 05:04 AM

I have seperate stacking boxes for fluids, tool kits, spares etc, which are labelled.

I only unpack what I know Im going to use, and the rest stays stacked in the van. Tools I have set in kits, like a wheel kit, so I dont have to pull the right tools out of various sets each time I do 'a job' and then put them away again, I just grab the 'wheel kit' box, which has the right sockets set up with ratchets, foot pump, tyre warmers, gauge, brake pads, brake cleaner, gloves, spare sprockets, etc. But then we change wheels a lot! :evil1:

Whatever system you use, make sure you have one, then at least you know where everything is.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 01:05 PM

I work for an aerospace firm and there anal about efficiency. We use a system called "Shadowboxing". It uses visuals to help remind you of things. For example: If a rollaway belongs somewhere in your trailer, mark it off with fluorescent tape (on the floor). Not that you'd notice if it were missing, but if it was... you'd see the fluroescent tape jump out at you. On a more practical level, we shadow box tool boxes using styrofoam. Every socket has a cutout and is labeled. A) its easier to find and B) You know if its there or not. We use this as a quality function as planes don't function well when sockets and wrenches are left inside.

When you label things, use big letters. A pen won't cut it. Big letters and markers.

Run to Target and get yourself stackable storage bins. Clear ones work better than solid ones.

I personally work well when I start making my checklists weeks in advance. If you asked me to make a list right now of everything I need to bring, I'd probably forget half the things I need. But if you gave me a week, I'd carry a piece of paper and pen with me and everytime I thought of something I'd write it down. Money says by the end of the week you'll have almost everything. Of course you only need to do this once.

Hope this helps.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 02:16 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I have a 6x12 enclosed trailer as well and have a tool box mounted up front. This contains all of my tools needed and I leave them in there all the time. I also have a shelving unit for all my fluids needed. I also use a large storage box that I keep packed with all the camping gear for the weekend. It also helps to have the wife pack all the food items so that all I have to worry about getting ready is the bike tie-down, loading the camping storage bin and packing my riding gear.

Yellow 08 1000RR
Nesba/Wera 561
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page