Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Rossi & Edwards To Ride Camel Yams In '06

http://superbikeplanet.com/2006/Jan/060109a.htm

Rossi & Edwards To Ride Camel Sponsored Yamahas In '06
by staff
Monday, January 09, 2006

This just in from Yamaha:

Yamaha Factory Racing joins forces with JTI and CAMEL

Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. Announces the start of a new partnership with JT International (JTI), a subsidiary of Japan Tobacco Inc., whose brand CAMEL will become the new title sponsor of Yamaha's Factory MotoGP Team for 2006.

The Yamaha Factory MotoGP Team, consisting of reigning-World Champion Valentino Rossi and his team-mate Colin Edwards, will be known as the "Camel Yamaha Team" in 2006.

Managing Director of Yamaha Motor Racing Lin Jarvis commented "Yamaha is very excited to enter into this new partnership with JTI. JTI has been involved in motorsport at the highest level for many years and has been an active sponsor at the top level in the MotoGP class for the past three seasons. We look forward to working with JTI to enhance the respective images of our brands and to challenge together for victory, as Yamaha enters its "next 50 years" and aims to retain its MotoGP titles in 2006."

"A new chapter in the history of Camel in motorsport is just beginning", commented Roberto Zanni, JTI's Regional President for Europe, "After three years of great satisfaction in the premier class of the World Road Racing Championship, we are today launching a new challenge for the title. Our new partnership with Yamaha, the historic, championship-winning Japanese manufacturer, will be highly motivating for us and it will be an honour to be by their side throughout the 2006 season. We share the same passion and desire for victory and, I am sure, success will not be long in coming."

The Camel Yamaha Team will begin its 2006 campaign in Sepang, Malaysia with a three-day test on 23rd, 24th and 25th January.

03 CBR 600RR
-- OEM Cowl w/ custom decal, click here.
-- Scotts Steering Stabilizer
-- Vortex Rearsets
-- Arata Full exhaust w/ PCIII
-- Ohlins shock and cartridge kit
-- Catalyst Racing Composites bodywork

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 12:10 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
So much for getting away from a tobacco sponsorship, huh..

^chka0tic :: WERA N#721 :: 2003 Honda CBR600RR
- OverTwo Customs / http://www.overtwocustoms.com/
- Vortex Racing / www.vortexracing.com
- RK Chain / www.rkexcelamerica.com
- Lockhart Phillips / www.teamprivateer.com
-
- www.sponsorhouse.com/members/chkaotic
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 12:12 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Yeah and no Biaggi next year either. Since Camel was his only hope. Guess he has something new to cry about

Yellow 08 1000RR
Nesba/Wera 561

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,545 Times in 2,157 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
max going to retire now unless he finds a bicycle to ride

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 01:06 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Riop

Ditto witto pitto nitto

Last edited by U235a4; 01-09-2006 at 03:00 PM.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 01:19 PM
World Superbike Racer

... is there a specific word for a "repost" within the original post? :)

-
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chkaotic
... is there a specific word for a "repost" within the original post? :)
this is strange because i didn't post it in this thread..... i posted it under general discussion???? oh well
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 03:12 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by U235a4
this is strange because i didn't post it in this thread..... i posted it under general discussion???? oh well
Hehe its coo.. its them vbulletin gremlins again, slava must've fed 'em after midnight..

-
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 04:07 PM

ROSSI to ride for CAMEL next season!

From *********** News, 09/01/06
Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. announces the start of a new partnership with JT International (JTI), a subsidiary of Japan Tobacco Inc., whose brand CAMEL will become the new title sponsor of Yamaha’s Factory MotoGP Team for 2006.
The Yamaha Factory MotoGP Team, consisting of reigning-World Champion Valentino Rossi and his team-mate Colin Edwards, will be known as the “Camel Yamaha Team” in 2006.
Managing Director of Yamaha Motor Racing Lin Jarvis commented “Yamaha is very excited to enter into this new partnership with JTI. JTI has been involved in motorsport at the highest level for many years and has been an active sponsor at the top level in the MotoGP class for the past three seasons. We look forward to working with JTI to enhance the respective images of our brands and to challenge together for victory, as Yamaha enters its “next 50 years” and aims to retain its MotoGP titles in 2006.”
“A new chapter in the history of Camel in motorsport is just beginning”, commented Roberto Zanni, JTI’s Regional President for Europe, “After three years of great satisfaction in the premier class of the World Road Racing Championship, we are today launching a new challenge for the title. Our new partnership with Yamaha, the historic, championship-winning Japanese manufacturer, will be highly motivating for us and it will be an honour to be by their side throughout the 2006 season. We share the same passion and desire for victory and, I am sure, success will not be long in coming.”
The Camel Yamaha Team will begin its 2006 campaign in Sepang, Malaysia with a three-day test on 23rd, 24th and 25th January.
Press release courtesy of Yamaha Factory Racing

2006 MOTOGP IS GOING TO BE CRAZY!
No more Gauloises sponsorship for Yamaha (look for a possible reprocussions from this: contract disputes)
Biaggi & Barros both out-both headed to WSBK
Movistar sponsorship completely out of MotoGP
Carlos Checa out of a ride
Gibernau over to Ducati
Dani Pedrossa on Repsol Honda
And Valentino Rossi in Camel Leathers...who would have thunk that!, this same kid that is SO against Tobacco sponsorship...2006 is setting up to be CRAZY!
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 04:31 PM
World Superbike Racer

Whats the deal with Camal/Marlboro? Are they owned by the same corp? I thought that one of the biggest problems wasnt Rossi's distaste for tobacco sponsorship after all he is signing with Marlboro/Ferrari next year, but that Galouesse and Marlboro were competators.

Eitherway I dotn care, just start the season already.

Oh you can forget that Hoffman got a ride on a satalite Duc team as well.

"Oh and if you dare say that I dont know whats it like get a freakin clue! I date models and strippers. So dont tell me that I dont know whats its like!" - BDiddy
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 04:49 PM

Rossi has ALWAYS had a great distaste for Tobacco sponsorship, that is why this jump to Camel sponsorship is so ODD!

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/moto/motogp/12126/

cliffnotes on this article from 2004 for those too lazy to read it all:

-Altadis currently sponsors the full factory Yamaha team of Valentino Rossi and Carlos Checa and also the Tech 3 “satellite” team of Marco Melandri and Norifumi Abe. With the signing of Rossi, Altadis was delighted, in spite of the uncomfortable fact that the wildly popular young Italian is publicly anti-tobacco

(here's some REALLY ironic information from 2004)
-When Camel was on the verge of replacing Repsol Honda as the prime sponsor for the HRC team, Rossi made it known that he would use the space on his leathers that he retained rights to for the purpose of carrying anti-tobacco slogans and that he would be outspoken in his opposition to tobacco advertising. That spooked Camel and sent them into the arms of the Pons Honda team

-you can be sure that Valentino will not break a lance in defense of tobacco sponsorship. He has been on an anti-smoking crusade from his 125cc days and once appeared on the podium wearing the colors of a tobacco mock-sponsor as a form of humorous protest. This was the kid who said he would never ride for a tobacco sponsor

(some more interesting info...hindsight is 20/20!)
-So, given Rossi’s convictions, why did he accept becoming poster boy for Gauloises? Elementary, my dear Watson: because it was the only way out of the clutches of mother Honda and into the upstart Yamaha team. Yamaha already had a deal signed with Altadis for 2004 and it was as tight as the French lawyers could make it. Sources reveal that Altadis now feel they were tricked into signing a one-year deal. Yamaha gave them strong options for 2005, virtually making it impossible for their place to be usurped by another commercial sponsor, but leaving it possible for Yamaha to simply opt to reserve naming-rights and the lion’s share of on-bike signage for themselves, something no one, in or out of Altadis, would have guessed.

While most people do still think Rossi may take the jump to F1 next year, this surprising switch to Camel may be an indication that he WON'T be doing that!...Everyone thought this whole sponsorship debate was over Rossi trying to ditch Gauloises BECAUSE it would interfere with a possible malboro sponsorship in F1, but it looks like THAT isn't the problem, because Camel is a bigger company than Gauloises and also a much bigger competitor to Marlboro...IMO, Rossi isn't going anywhere, why leave your kingdom in MotoGP to become a "average" F1 driver?
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 04:58 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Man Honda must be really kicking themselves for producing a blue/yellow bike this year, LOL.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 04:59 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

i'm lost.... so what is rossi doing next year?
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 05:04 PM

Kicking someone's ass.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 05:15 PM

yeah, that IS really funny that this year Honda made that Movistar replica 600rr (in Japan) when they LOST that sponsor THIS YEAR, and then the blue/yellow 1000rr, now LOSING the Camel sponsorship...very ironic!

and for you zus600rr#388 :

Last year Valentino Rossi raced with the Gauloises sponsorship (the blue bike that said Go!!!!!)...the reason the actual name "Gauloises" wasn't on there is because the tobacco ads aren't allowed anymore...nonetheless there have been rumors for a while that Rossi has been trying to "get rid of them", even rumors going as far as Rossi will be riding an unsponsored Yamaha next year for 1 of these 2 reasons:
1)He is VERY much against Tobacco sponsorship, as my previous post noted, even since he was a young boy, therefore he didn't want to be affiliated with Gauloises, a cigarette company
or
2)He is 'secretively' planning on leaving MotoGP and racing an F1 racecar in 2007 with Ferrari which has Marlboro sponsorship...With this in mind some thought that Marlboro may not like this connection Rossi has with one of their competitors and that this whole ploy to "get rid" of Gauloises was in preparation for his switch...

AND SO...why these new circumstances are so intriguing is that this "switch" to Camel sponsorship doesn't clarify either of these two options...Rossi hates Tobacco sponsorship but he'll be riding for one next year and if he was concerned about his relationship with Marlboro F1, he just screwed himself...also, it appears that Yamaha may have broke a contract with Gauloises to go with Camel and so there may be a few million dollar disputes brought up in court in the next few months...

And so, all that to say, in 06 Rossi will be riding a blue and yellow yamaha with Camel leathers for the first time in his career...the very same sponsorship that was trying so hard a few months ago to hold on to his most bitter rival Biaggi...honestly, the whole thing is crazy!*whew*

Last edited by SeteGibernau; 01-09-2006 at 05:17 PM.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 05:22 PM
silent master

yeah, what an oxymoron.

he says he doesnt like tobacco products thats why he's leaving gauloisses. but now, he's getting camel?

the pay must be really good!

08 CBR600RR black and red for now, will be pearl white in a few weeks.

04 CBR600RR B/S **CRASHED**

2007 Nissan 350z Enth
http://www.facebook.com/carpe.dm.photography

2010 Mitsubishi Evo X
http://www.facebook.com/carpe.dm.photography

RIP Phatstud
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 10:32 PM

I was just arguing with someone about how Rossi will not ride for Galuoises because of a possible 07 arrangement with Marlboro Ferrari. Boy was I behind the times. Go figure.
maybe he will stick to two wheels instead of four, and continue to whip ass on the best tracks, against the best ridders in the WORLD.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 11:30 PM

not sure if any of you guys check out "SPEED" channel news but a guy.. (sorry can't remember the name and i don't have the link right now) is writing something about motogp.. his opinions.. some rumors.. some fact.. some conspiracy theories, etc.. anyway.. one of the stuff he put on his article is that.. the funniest reason that rossi wants to be with camel is because he likes yellow.. he will have a yellow bike with the yellow leather, etc.. the meanist reason is that he gets biaggi out of the motogp circuit and take his sponsor at the same time.......

EDIT.. sorry.. he was qouting some french paper about the camel move.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 11:39 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

I don't what the big deal about tobacco sponsorship is anyway, even if you are anti-smoking. Outlawing it in motorsports like they have in a lot of the EU isn't going to save any lives, and it hurts ths sport because tobacco is a huge source of sponsorship dollars.

It's not like tobacco advertising in motorsports is going to convert non-smokers into smokers. They are going after already existing smokers to have them convert brands.

05 RR Slv/Blk

Super perfundo on the early eve of your day
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 11:55 PM

kind of weird how everything in sports is in tobacco industry huh.. well.. galousis and camel will never fight.. as this guys' article said... and his qouting from some other newspaper "wolves will not fight with wolves" or something like that.. to continue the saga.. vodafone.. which is a phone related company that sponsored ferrari was mentioned in this guy's article.. he mentioned that rossi might be going solo with alice (another phone related company) and compete with vodafone cause vodafone is going to mclarens (formula 1) in 2007..

all the stuff that i said about this is not a direct qoute but you guys can see it on SPEED channels web site..
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 12:34 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikki50
Man Honda must be really kicking themselves for producing a blue/yellow bike this year, LOL.

really..blue and yellow..eh!!! Do you have any pics???

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 04:22 AM

Wow! what a turn of events. I think biaggi will be riding in WSBK with Winston team Ten Kate. I wish they would partner him up with Rossi though, that would be mind blowing.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 05:05 AM
Post Whore Extraordinaire

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
why is Biaggi leaveing MotoGP.
WSBK is nic ebut he belongs in GP.
and why is Movistar pulling out of GP?
where do you guys ge tthese facts from, is there some site you guys feed from, hook me up man, put a brotha on.
I didnt know Rossi had or has a distaste for tobacco sponsors. If thats the case his reason for goining against his "belief" should be more than the color preference.

No more mod listing, shits is STILL too long

03 600RR > 04 1000RR > 06 R6V > 05 600RR > 06 R1 > 09 1000RR > 10 RSV4R :gun:
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 05:06 AM

Nando what model lid is that, i love it man, its sooo, sooo pretty.

post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 05:43 AM

from rumours.. telefonica got pissed of the factory honda for taking pedrosa in the honda/repsol factory tent.. telefonica spent money finding talent from 125/250cc.. then hrc honda took their future (pedrosa).. so they got pissed and pulled out of the whole mess (too bad for gibernau). i heard telefonica will be putting their money in f1.. with alonso.. but then alonso will be in to mclarens (vodafone sponsor).. so.. who knows what will happen.. but i think telefonica will be out of motogp this year. at least for now. that might change tomorrow...
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 05:57 AM

Yeah, but where do you ctas see/hear/read these things, i want the scoope too.

post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad
Yeah, but where do you ctas see/hear/read these things, i want the scoope too.
snikwad and all.. ***********, speed.com. and planet-f1.com . that's where i get my info and some friends.. not necesarily true or current.. but that's where i get it..

EDIT.. i guess i can't say m-o-t-o-g-p . c o m..sorry about that admins.. that's what the asterisk are..

Last edited by e^2(PI)i; 01-10-2006 at 06:12 AM.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 07:08 AM

are you kidding me, why cant you type that.
anyway thanks im on it man.

post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 02:40 PM

Snikwad, thats my suomy extreme Bostrom lid. I get my shizzle from crash.net
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 07:18 PM

Thanks bro, ill check it out...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page