For all of you that turned your street bike into a trackbike... - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
For all of you that turned your street bike into a trackbike...

I just did my 1st trackday this past weekend and man am I hooked now... I was planning on buying a new bike toward the end of this year and turning the RR into a trackbike... Well I had some badluck on the way to the track my RR got a lil bashed up on the way down there, cracking my upper fairing bad on both side and gashing my tank up pretty good... Well after rebuilding this RR and putting so much time into her to make it "pretty" as you could say lol, her getting banged up over something stupid really got to me...

Part of me wants to say screw it and strip her of the street plastic's, and get her prepped for the track... But i'm worried when the pretty weather comes back around i'll want to go ride with the guys on the street and I wont be able to until I got another street bike toward the end of the year...

So my question is to all that turned they street bike into a track bike, did you have a back up bike to ride on the street or was that your only bike? And how did it work out?

Sorry for the dumb questions guys, its just i'm lost on what I want to do...

2013 Honda Motorcycle News http://www.HondaofChattanoogaBlog.com (Fixing to transfer over to HondaPowerSportsNEWS.com to be only news orientated)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 06:47 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
froggie3kb, my current bike pulls double duty. But, I will admit that I enjoy riding on the track much more than the street. I ride on the street to get ride of the rust from the winter or when I really have an itch to ride. But, as long as you do not strip your bike too much, you should be able to switch back and fourth farly easily.

03 CBR 600RR
-- OEM Cowl w/ custom decal, click here.
-- Scotts Steering Stabilizer
-- Vortex Rearsets
-- Arata Full exhaust w/ PCIII
-- Ohlins shock and cartridge kit
-- Catalyst Racing Composites bodywork

post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 07:05 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i have a back up - my 749... but thinking of selling my RR and turning my 749 to my full time trckbike...
just get a set of race glass and you should be able to switch them (double duty by what gecko said)... takes about 20 minutes to do so...

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 07:07 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko5
But, as long as you do not strip your bike too much, you should be able to switch back and fourth farly easily.
+1

I went ahead and made the RR track-only, but I have another bike that's much better on the street than the RR, so it wasn't an issue.

I don't think it would be a big deal to switch back and forth, though. You should be able to swap race glass for your street plastic in about 20-30minutes, tops. Sliders stay in place. Suspension gets re-set for street use (~5 minutes). That should be about it. But you still run the risk of screwing up your streetbike if you crash at the track.

Or...find a cheap used bike and make it your dedicated track bike. As long as you're not racing, you don't need the latest and greatest to have fun and build your skills. For example, an Ex250 Ninja would be a blast, and you can pick one up dirt cheap. Since it is track-only, you don't even have to worry about registration and insurance, either.

--
Russell
'03 CBR600RR - Track - Parting out. PM for details.
'03 Tuono - Street
'01 DRZ400 - Dirt/street
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 07:12 PM
WCR Racer

I thought the same thing. All the guys I know ride every weekend and have clubs I ride with on the street. But once I started to track and did some mods that made the bike hard to convert back to street. I just could not put the street plastics back on. So for down time I started to ride a dirt bike to keep me occupied while I make cash to blow on the next track day.

Street has dumb people who hate you, the track has people enjoying the same passion and hobby. Play where you are welcome.

773 Expert
I am the guy the track Marshal warned you about.

Sponsors are anyone who will give me money.

http://www.sponsorhouse.com/members/MeadeR
http://actionfund.roadracingworld.com/
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 07:13 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
My bike does double duty as a street bike and a trackbike. I switch from OEM bodywork to Sharkskinz. I also bought an extra Bank Angle Sensor and wiring assembly to plug and mount to my upper fairing stay. This saves time and I don't have to disassemble the headlight/wiring assembly. I also remove the tail undertray and ziptie all the wiring and PC3 to the subframe. I keep my suspension settings set for the track and adjust to less compression dampening when on the street and of course stiffer for the track. I live in California so water wetter is always in my radiator.

Pictures!

Extra BAS: I drilled & tapped holes into the fairing stay so I can just bolt it on and plug play.

Track ready:

An older pic of her Street legal:

I suggest you keep the bashed plastic as the beginning of an extra set of plastics that you can use for the track.

IG: moto_neil

Last edited by Coyote; 01-24-2006 at 07:18 PM.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 07:43 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,545 Times in 2,157 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
Coyote
no matter what she wears she is a beauty :wav:

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 07:50 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

froggie3kb - I had the same dilema last year. It got to be a hassle in the transformation from street to track, that I decided to look for a used bike to dedicate to the street and use my new bike for the street. After a few months of looking, I found an ad in the newspaper, and a few days later I was the proud owner of another 05 CBR600RR. It was three months old and had 1500 miles on it. I picked it up for $6500 which included a MotoGP leather jacket. It will be my street rider and my original CBR is getting dressed up for the upcoming race season. I was nervous at first but I did the right thing as I can always swap parts if needed and no more hassle of changing the bike from track mode to street mode. It seemed like at each race no matter what, the bike would get a little more dinged up each time, which is fine now as I don't have to worry about not having a pristine bike for use on the streets. Yes, I am a little vain, the bike needs to be in almost near perfect condition in order for us to really get along...

A thought for life;
DRESS FOR THE CRASH, NOT THE RIDE
Visit my photography web site
@ DonArmstrong.US
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 07:56 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote
My bike does double duty as a street bike and a trackbike. I switch from OEM bodywork to Sharkskinz. I also bought an extra Bank Angle Sensor and wiring assembly to plug and mount to my upper fairing stay. This saves time and I don't have to disassemble the headlight/wiring assembly. I also remove the tail undertray and ziptie all the wiring and PC3 to the subframe. I keep my suspension settings set for the track and adjust to less compression dampening when on the street and of course stiffer for the track. I live in California so water wetter is always in my radiator.

Pictures!

Extra BAS: I drilled & tapped holes into the fairing stay so I can just bolt it on and plug play.
I suggest you keep the bashed plastic as the beginning of an extra set of plastics that you can use for the track.
Coyote, I did the same exact thing as you, even the extra BAS and the drilled hole's in the fairing stay. Works pretty well!
I must say though that your track plastic looks much better than mine!!!

My Toys: 2006 Nissan Frontier, 2006 r6 Anniversary Edition, 2008 Ducati 1098, 1972 Honda cb350.

Check out and follow my mountain bike blog and review site: www.gamountainbike.com
Thanks!
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 07:57 PM
Lifetime Premium

i had the same issue last year with my F4i (only bike i had at the time). Ended up making it track only and didn't really miss riding on the street TOO much (although to be fair I had a crash in July and my arm was in a cast for 2 months, so I couldn't ride at all anyway)
I ended up getting an RR in November for a streetbike and the F4i is still track only. I suggest you get an already prepped trackbike, it costs a fortune to turn a streetbike into a trackbike. All the little details kill ya.

WERA/NESBA #409
My Sponsors: Southern Gasket & Supply, LeoVince, Vortex, Chicken Hawk Racing, Pro-Tek, RK Racing Chains
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 08:00 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have a track only bike right now.... and I want to get another street bike but, I have to save some money.. I hate having loan for a bike.. My last 3 bike I paid cash for.
So I hope by this summer Ill have a another RR or I might try another bike brand of bike..

I would say if you can find a mint 03-05 and turn that in a track bike.. I would part it out and then you won't have to use a bunch of money to set it up..

Or buy a track bike.. look on wera, nesba, cmra, or clubracer.. could find one for a decent price.

Last edited by AlpineJim; 01-24-2006 at 08:03 PM.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 08:05 PM
Lifetime Premium

yeah but why would you spend 6 grand on a stock bike, when you can get a trackbike that already has suspension, bodywork, performance parts, etc for the same price or less?

there are plenty of bikes on the wera board for sale

WERA/NESBA #409
My Sponsors: Southern Gasket & Supply, LeoVince, Vortex, Chicken Hawk Racing, Pro-Tek, RK Racing Chains
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 08:31 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforce101t
yeah but why would you spend 6 grand on a stock bike, when you can get a trackbike that already has suspension, bodywork, performance parts, etc for the same price or less?

Airforce makes sense. I guess the only thing you missout on is not having the latest and greatest bike on the track. But that doesn't really matter with us mere mortals. When I got the bike new, I got caught up in a frenzy of doing all the mods. I remember each mod I did made the bike feel a little bit better on the street and especially on the track, so I kept going. Now if I were to do it again I'd look for a used race bike. I think I'll wait a season or so and hope for a track prepped 06.

IG: moto_neil
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 08:43 PM

I took mine off the street with about 500 miles on it and made it track only.

I enjoy my v-twin ride on the street whenever I can get a day in between track weekends or a weekday that I'm not at work. This usually means 2 street days of riding per month, maybe 3.

Last edited by 96SNAKE03RR; 01-24-2006 at 08:46 PM.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 09:25 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforce101t

Yeah I know what your saying, but if you have to time and money you can setup the bike way you like it plus you know if something breaks, then it will only take half the time to fix it since you know your bike like the back of your hand...

I made like 2,500 just parting out my bike but then I invested a lot more in to it.. :icon_lol:
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 09:27 PM
Lifetime Premium

good point it does help if you have to do all the mods yourself, but you could still take it apart every once in a while

WERA/NESBA #409
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 10:22 PM

i basically can go right off the track, to the street, street tires, fairings, suspension settings and all... it has its ups and downs, but i feel so comfortable with a stiff susension setting, and race tires on, that when i go on the track it feels just like home.

Hey coyote, i put my tip over sensor in the same exact spot, great minds think alike!!!
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 11:30 PM
World Superbike Racer

I just ride my bike on the track. I would love to ride on the street but the funds I'm reserving for racing. I was thinking of just buying an old used bike for the street, but man, you really can't beat riding around the track.
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 12:07 AM

Mine did double duty last season, but was all track by the end of the year. Got an SV1K for the street now.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 03:52 AM
Pocketbike Racer

When I first started riding on the track my bike had to double duty which meant swapping body work every other weekend which became a real pain in the a$$. A few close calls later I decided to give up road riding entirely and dedicate my bike to the track. Do I miss road riding? Sure! Do I miss risking my life on a very regular basis? No!

At the end of the day, the more mods you do to your race bike the harder it is to swap back to a street bike. Off the top of my head - I'd need to swap the body, remount the BAS, remount headlights, mirrors etc, side stand, possibly change tires and sprockets, turn down the idling (mission cos the adjuster is broken!), remount passenger pegs etc, remount signal switches and horn switch, remount the horn itself, remount the 100 other tiny parts that I've hopefully still got in a box somewhere, change brake pads as mine are race only and take ages to warm up on the street. Better just to leave her as is!

'04 Candy Blue CBR 600RR
Yoshi RS5 Full System
BMC Air Filter
PCIII usb
Arrow rearsets
Renthal 14/46 sprockets with 520 chain
Emission system fully removed
APR Racing brake pads
A few other minor mods that I can't remember now.

"Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die"
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 10:37 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino
...turn down the idling (mission cos the adjuster is broken!)...
Hey Rhino,
sorry i don't want to thread jack but, quick question, why do you turn up the idling? Just curious if there's an advantage to this. Thanks.
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 10:40 AM
Lifetime Premium

engine braking is less harsh when you turn up the idle and makes blipping the throttle to rev match easier and you have less chance of the rear wheel hopping around under engine braking

and i've heard of guys that get nervous and brake to early using it to trick themselves into carrying more corner speed

WERA/NESBA #409
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 10:52 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Predikt: Exactly what airforce said, also it helps the off-thottle to on-throttle transition. So basically coming up to a corner under braking and then getting back to a neutral (very slightly on throttle before the apex) much smoother and easier.

'04 Candy Blue CBR 600RR
Yoshi RS5 Full System
BMC Air Filter
PCIII usb
Arrow rearsets
APR Racing brake pads

post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 11:00 AM
World Superbike Racer

Awesome, thanks guys. I'm going to try that this weekend. Sitting on idle, how much rpms do you adust it to? I beieve I'm currently a little below or a little above the 1 mark on the tachometer (is that the correct gauge label?)
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 11:04 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Mine sits around 2K, actually slightly above if I remember correctly.

'04 Candy Blue CBR 600RR
Yoshi RS5 Full System
BMC Air Filter
PCIII usb
Arrow rearsets
APR Racing brake pads

post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 11:06 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Oh, just a reminder to be careful - the idle adjustment on our bikes is quite fiddly and turning it out too much can disconnect it at the throttle which is why I can't lower my RPM's easily any longer.

'04 Candy Blue CBR 600RR
Yoshi RS5 Full System
BMC Air Filter
PCIII usb
Arrow rearsets
APR Racing brake pads

post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 08:04 PM

Froggie...what's up. It's Jonah from Jennings and GSB. I decided to join this forum and the first search I did was for info on track plastic!!! HA!

Hey...I'm going back to Jennings on the 4th or 5th. Wanna roll? We're also going on the 20th...taking Monday off so the crowds will be a little thinner.

Hit me up.

Jonah
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Wow, I wasnt expecting this many replies but that is what I love about this site... Everyone is so willing to help with great info

Well first off... I'm way to lazy to swap back and forth between track plastic and street plastics after every trackday just to go ride on the street for a little bit lol.

I like the idea of buying a cheaper trackbike to use but it would be later in the year and I cant wait that long lol, but I believe I could wait till later in the year to pick up another street bike and just enjoy my time this summer riding the RR on the track...

But I dont know, decisions decisions...

I guess i'll just wait and see where everythings at when I get to do another trackday in a month and try to make a decision after that...

I really appreciate all of the advice guys, much appreciated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse_james
Froggie...what's up. It's Jonah from Jennings and GSB. I decided to join this forum and the first search I did was for info on track plastic!!! HA!

Hey...I'm going back to Jennings on the 4th or 5th. Wanna roll? We're also going on the 20th...taking Monday off so the crowds will be a little thinner.

Hit me up.

Jonah
Hey whats going on man? Glad to see joined man, this is the best RR site out there in my opinion... Lots of nice guys and lots and lots of information to read on lol.

Man you dont know how bad I wish I could make it back that soon, but i'm in the middle of closing on a house right now so my $$ is tied up for the next month...:(

We'll have to keep in touch though man, and hit it up soon though...

2013 Honda Motorcycle News http://www.HondaofChattanoogaBlog.com (Fixing to transfer over to HondaPowerSportsNEWS.com to be only news orientated)
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 03:02 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

turned mine into a track bike after a good friend of mine was killed in an accident (going too fast):angel9: . Knowing the way I rode and the way other CAGERS drove, making the decision was easy! I wanted to live to be a father. yea I do get a bit sad when a great sunny day comes along like today 68 degrees BITCHES. But between the track days and race season its more than worth it.
from time to time I do barrow a friends bike and ride the streets, but i find myself getting mad cuz some CAGER does some dumb a$$ thing
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 03:46 AM
Lifetime Premium

ok I been thinkin about it and heres what i've come up with:
Sell the 600RR get a slightly older trackbike already set up and a motard for occasional street fun (its also great for training for track riding)

probably not that practical but motards are a hell of a lotta fun

WERA/NESBA #409
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page