preparing the bike for race/track - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
preparing the bike for race/track

hey guys it has been a long time since i visited this message board, after few month looking for 600rr i found one and i bought it. it is 2005 cbr600rr. i am very happy with it.i can not belive how light it is compar to my 1999 hayabusa.
now to the important part, i am preparing the bike for the track and i have done the following mod
race body work
vortex rear set
vortex gas cap
keyless entry
safety wire the whole bike
took off the kick stand the headlight switch
powercoated the wheels neon and race take off
took off the exhaust heatshields
new brake lines on the front
vortex upper bracket
i think that is it for now, what else should i do, i am running out of money and i just want to see if there is any cheap mod to do. i am not looking for more power so exhaust is the last thing i want to do.. i can not afford a shock so i am going have to life with the stock one for now, and forks i might do by the end of the season.
if there is anything else i should do please let me know.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

also do i have to safety wire the headers bolts???
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 10:35 AM
Superbike racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
when you do the suspension do the shock and the forks at the same time. your suspension works together....

steering damper

safety wire header bolts if racing, but not required by most track day organizations

CCS EX#100

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

were can i find the safety wire requirement. do i have to do the calipers forks levers??? i am going to the headers bolts today.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

also do you use water or somthing else instead of the anitfreeze??
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 07:38 AM
World Superbike Racer

You need to go to the website of the trackday organization(s) whose events you are thinking of attending, and look up their specific requirements. Usually it's just a safe, working bike; no glycol antifreeze (see below), and tires with sufficient tread/life. And the appropriate safety gear of course.

As BigTuna said, most orgs do not require wiring the header bolts.

Yes, you should run distilled water (or water + Water Wetter) instead of glycol-based antifreeze, even if the org does not explicitly require it. (But most do require it. Antifreeze is a b!tch to clean up if you go down on the track.)
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 11:03 PM

Hey...what kind of race plastic did you wind up putting on your bike? I'm looking to get a set and am trying to narrow it down.

Thanks!
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 11:34 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse_james
Hey...what kind of race plastic did you wind up putting on your bike? I'm looking to get a set and am trying to narrow it down.

Thanks!
Armour bodies and Sharkskinz..
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 11:48 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse_james

Thanks!

PM sent...

2013 Honda Motorcycle News http://www.HondaofChattanoogaBlog.com (Fixing to transfer over to HondaPowerSportsNEWS.com to be only news orientated)
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 09:56 PM
World Superbike Racer

sami600rr, the stock shock is good. it's just a matter of getting the correct spring for your weight. If you're around 135 - 155lbs., your'e good to go. But definitely upgrading suspension always helps.

Find the minimum requirements for the track day organization if you're just doing track days. If you start racing, then that's the time to start safety wiring. Be prepared too, such a pain. There are some sticky threads I started for some help guides that a bunch of people from here contributed to. Great info. If you have any additional questions, just post or PM me and hopefully I can help.

Good luck.
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by predikt
sami600rr, the stock shock is good. it's just a matter of getting the correct spring for your weight. If you're around 135 - 155lbs., your'e good to go. But definitely upgrading suspension always helps.

Find the minimum requirements for the track day organization if you're just doing track days. If you start racing, then that's the time to start safety wiring. Be prepared too, such a pain. There are some sticky threads I started for some help guides that a bunch of people from here contributed to. Great info. If you have any additional questions, just post or PM me and hopefully I can help.

Good luck.
what if you weigh 175 and thats not including the gear?
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 11:40 PM
Training Wheel Hero

WERA does not require you to saftey wire the header bolts. If I were you I would wire the main things even if it is not required. Things like brake calipers, drain plugs, rear axle nut. These things have a bad habit of coming loose on the track. Lock tight is good to use on things that can't be wired.
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 12:12 AM

Use Water Wetter or Engine Ice , available at all bike shops. Don't use antifreeze.
Antifreeze won't evaporate and can become a slippery debris if its on the race line, very dangerous.

Track Days, don't need to safety wire, but it doesn't hurt. Just make sure your Oil Plug won't fall out on a session, not the best way to get popular.

After a few Track Days, you'll have noticed what the other riders have, but remember this.
When ya get about 500 bucks, get your stock suspension upgraded. I just did mine. And I'll be getting a good 10-15 seconds off my laptimes.

I used Racing Performance Services
http://www.roadracinghelp.com/
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 04:16 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by papo600RR
what if you weigh 175 and thats not including the gear?
yeah, then definitely stiffer springs will be needed so they don't bottom out on hard braking or hitting bumps mid-corner. There are several companies that replace springs and do valve work for about $300 each end, front and back. I would save up money and invest in that as poorly set up suspension will make for a terrible feeling ride.
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by predikt
yeah, then definitely stiffer springs will be needed so they don't bottom out on hard braking or hitting bumps mid-corner. There are several companies that replace springs and do valve work for about $300 each end, front and back. I would save up money and invest in that as poorly set up suspension will make for a terrible feeling ride.

Well, I was thinking of going with Thermosman, but I have been advised to hold off on it. I get my bike adjusted for each track and it has felt smooth. Hopefully sometime soon, I will upgrade the suspension. Do you suggest replacing the springs or the whole internals in the fork?
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

hey guys thanks for the help, i am going to set up the stock shock and forks to my weight. also i am going to get ice engine . i also have drilled all the required bolts (forks. calipers oil cap and filter , front and rear axel , front and rear calipers, front forks,front master cylinder.)- i still need to do the header bolts but i am not sure how to do it, do i drill the nut or is it some where else. let me know
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 12:45 PM
World Superbike Racer

Hey papo600rr,

It's tough to say that you "need" something changed but here was my scenario...I rode from May 2005 to December 2005 without changing my stock suspension, I just adjusted sag as much as I could so front wouldn't bottom and rear had a good range. I don't know what the range on the rear was, suspension tuners would do it at the track for $20. The tuners also adjusted compression and rebound based on my feedback.

I rode strong and comfortably for those 8 months. A suspension tuner suggested though that I get my forks revalved because when he pushed on the front, it sounded and felt strange to him, like he knew the oil inside the forks were old.

So even though it felt really good to me, I wanted to see the difference, and I've read in 20 million places that upgrading suspenion is key and just watching motorcycle races you noticed everyone talks and/or complains about suspenion setup, pretty much making or breaking their lap times. So I revalved the front and went ahead and got the correct springs for my weight. I wanted to learn more about adjusting the suspenion myself so I also invested in a rear shock that I can tweak based on articles I've read.

Results: I have to say the bike feels WAY better. Pretty much night and day. My bike absorbs bumps more, and feels more solid and planted. This is a big step in turning faster lap times because I'm more confident in my motorcycle and don't have to worry about bumps mid-corner. It's true what suspension tuners say that you really don't know what you're riding on until you've tried something different. In any case though, you still have to adjust your suspension for different tracks but overall, upgrading suspension gives you a better range for adjusting and potentially smoother curves. I'm still learning, but this was my experience.

Sorry such a long explanation :)
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 12:50 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sami600rr
hey guys thanks for the help, i am going to set up the stock shock and forks to my weight. also i am going to get ice engine . i also have drilled all the required bolts (forks. calipers oil cap and filter , front and rear axel , front and rear calipers, front forks,front master cylinder.)- i still need to do the header bolts but i am not sure how to do it, do i drill the nut or is it some where else. let me know
I'm not sure what year your bike is but on my 2005, I'm actually trying to do my header bolts right now (They are actually nuts since they have a hole in the middle). The nuts toward the front of the bike, I'm trying to take off each one and drilling a whole straight through one flat side at the very opening of the nut, still leaving some metal left so I can thread safety wire through.

The nuts on the headers toward the rear of the bike I'm having trouble taking off. I want to be able to torque them back to 9 ft.lbs., but my adapter won't fit since the headers taper toward the middle. I'm still trying to figure it out but I may just hand tighten with an extra little turn to make it snug and just safety wire the bolt.
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 08:27 PM

I would go with thermosman, i have a frontend built buy him and it is awesome. As for sami600rr i would have taken the money spent on powder coated wheels and vortex gas cap and put it into an exhaust, power commander, air filter suspension(front or rear), Steel braided lines, 520 conversion, aftermarket brake pads, steering dampner, you could use all kinds of stuff other than the kewl looking wheels and gas cap!!! How much better is your bike going to handle or run with mods like that, its a waste of money especially if your on a budget.
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy122
I would go with thermosman, i have a frontend built buy him and it is awesome. As for sami600rr i would have taken the money spent on powder coated wheels and vortex gas cap and put it into an exhaust, power commander, air filter suspension(front or rear), Steel braided lines, 520 conversion, aftermarket brake pads, steering dampner, you could use all kinds of stuff other than the kewl looking wheels and gas cap!!! How much better is your bike going to handle or run with mods like that, its a waste of money especially if your on a budget.
they all came for free with the bike so i could not say no to it. i just did the safety wire, and installed everything. i would not spend anymoney of the exhaust any time soon. for the next year i am going to spend my money on track/race days and tires and after this season i am going to update the forks and shock. my last mod is the exhaust.
thanks
post #21 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 12:36 AM

that is the best way to spend money, on track days
post #22 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 11:15 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWiley600RR
When ya get about 500 bucks, get your stock suspension upgraded. I just did mine. And I'll be getting a good 10-15 seconds off my laptimes.

I used Racing Performance Services
http://www.roadracinghelp.com/
10-15 SECONDS?????? ummmm is this your prediction or what you HAVE been getting? I find it hard to belieave that if your at decent weight for your bike's stock suspension and have it the dampers and preload set correctly that suspension work will knock that much time off per lap.
-Nathan

Otherwise it sounds like the best modification you can buy :)
post #23 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 09:32 PM

MWiley600rr your going to need alot more than suspension work in order to try and take 10-15 seconds off a lap. Whoever told you that is NUTS!!!
post #24 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 01:38 PM

Holy smokes!!!!!!!!

15 seconds?? Step away from the crack pipe.

Every track day/racer in the world would do it if it was 15 seconds....

try more like 1-1/2 to 2 seconds max with less fading after running it hard.
post #25 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 08:00 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by vizsladog44
Holy smokes!!!!!!!!

15 seconds?? Step away from the crack pipe.

Every track day/racer in the world would do it if it was 15 seconds....

try more like 1-1/2 to 2 seconds max with less fading after running it hard.
That depends on his current level. In the beginning it is always easier to drop larger numbers of seconds from a lap time. But that being said, if a guy were that new, he would most likely be able to drop that many seconds just by practicing and showing up to trackdays without the need to invest in any equipment upgrades.

I think a good rule to ride by is a dude should be able to completely understand and explain the effects and concepts behind a mechanical upgrade before he is allowed to implement it.

That could also be why I'm running a ST600 legal machine.
; )

Word...

Rich DeRousse
http://www.rocketjockeyracing.com
"If you can't be fast, be flashy!"
'76 CB750 SOHC (Cafe Racer)
'04 PocketBike
'07 Honda CBR600RR
'10 BMW S1000RR (Race-only)
post #26 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 11:04 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Even someone who is a novice wouldn't improve 10-15 seconds just by upgrading suspension. Most novices aren't even going to get full use out of standard suspension and therefore I can't see anyone gaining 10-15 secs just by upgrading suspension. I had mine upgraded about 3 months ago and I actually went slower because I had my stock suspension so well setup it's taken me a while to get back there on my new suspension. I'm getting back there slowly and I have no doubt that I'll go quicker and quicker from here but sometimes it does take a while.

'04 Candy Blue CBR 600RR
Yoshi RS5 Full System
BMC Air Filter
PCIII usb
Arrow rearsets
Renthal 14/46 sprockets with 520 chain
Emission system fully removed
APR Racing brake pads
A few other minor mods that I can't remember now.

"Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die"
post #27 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino
Even someone who is a novice wouldn't improve 10-15 seconds just by upgrading suspension. Most novices aren't even going to get full use out of standard suspension and therefore I can't see anyone gaining 10-15 secs just by upgrading suspension.

I highly disagree.............and I know from experience.

I raced the WERA "Novice" 600cc Supersport and Superstock classes last year in the Mid-Atlantic region.

The first time I hit Summit I had stock EVERYTHING save for plastics and my damper.

The next time I hit Summit I had put stiffer springs into the front forks and got some CFM (Woodcraft) rear sets.

I shaved over 10 seconds off of my lap times.

With the stocks fronts I couldn't late brake. The bike would bottom out. But with the stiffer springs I was able to late brake and it made all of the difference in the world.
post #28 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 10:01 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargeek1975
I highly disagree.............and I know from experience.

I raced the WERA "Novice" 600cc Supersport and Superstock classes last year in the Mid-Atlantic region.

The first time I hit Summit I had stock EVERYTHING save for plastics and my damper.

The next time I hit Summit I had put stiffer springs into the front forks and got some CFM (Woodcraft) rear sets.

I shaved over 10 seconds off of my lap times.

With the stocks fronts I couldn't late brake. The bike would bottom out. But with the stiffer springs I was able to late brake and it made all of the difference in the world.
Dont you think that the more track time you get the faster you will go?. I think it would be safe to say that the better front end and the extra track time played a big part in you going quicker. I wasnt there, I believe that you did shave that much time, but for someone starting out and not having alot of time on the track and then putting a new front end on there bike that they can shave 10-15 seconds is crazy. It would be like someone going to JenningsGP, which is where I go alot, and running 1:40 on Saturday and running a 1:25 on Sunday. 1:40 at Jennings is slow as hell and 1:25 is very respectable, I dont see it happening there, and if it does I want to see it. Good Luck
post #29 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 08:12 AM

Believe what you want; I'm telling you what happened.

You can only ride your equipment to THAT piece of equipments limits. I'm telling you that with my stock front internals I couldn't brake for ****. If I'm having to brake seconds ahead of where I *could* be with stiffer internals; then add those seconds up for each and every turn, they will add up to that difference.

I'm NOT going to shave off 10-15 seconds by skill alone. That seems even more implausible to me. Especially with only one weekend in between those sessions and that was on a different track.

Now maybe from the beginning of the year to the end; THAT would be believable.
post #30 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy122
Dont you think that the more track time you get the faster you will go?. I think it would be safe to say that the better front end and the extra track time played a big part in you going quicker. I wasnt there, I believe that you did shave that much time, but for someone starting out and not having alot of time on the track and then putting a new front end on there bike that they can shave 10-15 seconds is crazy. It would be like someone going to JenningsGP, which is where I go alot, and running 1:40 on Saturday and running a 1:25 on Sunday. 1:40 at Jennings is slow as hell and 1:25 is very respectable, I dont see it happening there, and if it does I want to see it. Good Luck
Hey...I resemble that remark (1:40 lap times)!!!

Were you at Jennings this weekend? I went out on Monday...felt better, but I have a long, slow, and fun road ahead of me to faster and smoother.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page