How to become an EXPERT in CCS - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Question How to become an EXPERT in CCS

My aim is to get from Am to EX this CCS season so how do i do it?. I know i won't win the Am Championship but how many points do i need to get in the expert class.

Thanks in Advance.
Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 01:24 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
it should tell you in the rule book.

The scars remind me that the past is real.
myspace.com/steveo600rr
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 04:04 PM

i believe its 750 points, proposal, or recommendations.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 04:23 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

I was just flipping through the new 06' book today and from what i can tell just quickly scanning over its that you need to score 400points within a 12 month period or be racing for 3 years. Which is screwed up because with an 11 race season and 35 points being the most possiable for a win you HAVE to race more than one class is my understanding. Maybe I'm missing something... Can someone else elaborate?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 08:16 PM

If you finish in the top 5 in points then you get to advance to expert the next season, I think. Or if you finish in the top 5 in your class at the ROC then you can advance.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 08:54 PM
Superbike racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyshowtime
My aim is to get from Am to EX this CCS season so how do i do it?. I know i won't win the Am Championship but how many points do i need to get in the expert class.

Thanks in Advance.
Tony
i am NOT trying to be a ****, so please don't take it that way. Focus on ruuning in the top 10 and as you progress you will move up. Trying to get an EX license too fast is doom. You have one race weekend under your belt. Get up to pace, win some AM races and when you feel its time you'll bump up....

CCS EX#100
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTuna
i am NOT trying to be a ****, so please don't take it that way. Focus on ruuning in the top 10 and as you progress you will move up. Trying to get an EX license too fast is doom. You have one race weekend under your belt. Get up to pace, win some AM races and when you feel its time you'll bump up....
i know exactly where your coming from and i completely understand. And thanks for pointing that out, the only reason i asked was because to race back home i need to be an expert for at least a year before i can even enter so i was trying to get a time line in my head and roughly figure out what year i might be able to enter. But like you said i'll take every race as it comes. And thanks once again.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 11:08 AM

There are also lots of cases where riders have asked to be bumped immediately after their first race (or thereabouts) and been accomodated. Sometimes you just know... Colin Edwards comes to mind. Usually it's the rider who is going to be a pro soon so he's not worried about losing all his AM points to go expert because it's just a stepping stone. I recommend running AM until YOU feel comfortable or they force you to go EX. You should definitely have experience at the front IMO. I think they should add a clause in addition to the points that says you have to finish top 3 at least 5 times. Just because you pile up some points finishing 10-15th doesn't mean you're an expert. Just my .02...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 07:31 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

The requirement I think is 15 races as an AM and a point index over .500 . Thats the short answer.

Another trick might be to apply to WERA as an expert after doing your 15 AM races in CCS. Then you can keep racing the florida CCS series as an AM to get some experience. The WERA expert license will satisfy the 1-yr requirement that you are looking for to race back home. But your experience is better racing at the front of the am group rather than following up the rear of the expert group.

NE/Mid-Atlantic CCS/ASRA #973
2006 NE CCS/LRRS Amateur Champion
MW SuperSport, MW Superbike, MW Grand Prix, HW SuperSport, HW Superbike, UNL SuperSport, UNL Superbike

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 08:44 AM
Knee Dragger

All the advice is correct and very good sense. What you are all trying to say is dont run before you walk.

But he needs to be an expert rider before he can go back to the Isle of Man from the states to race the Manx GP. Although he comes from the isle of man, because he is gaining all his race experience in the states he needs to be an international rider to qualify for a race start in the manx. For him to get his internarional licence he has to be an expert in the states.

But i understand everyone telling him to take his time.

airtimebill

www.kakaracing.com

If i have spelt things wrong and used bad English, then i am sorry for putting you through it. But i am here about the bikes and racing..............

One life !!!!!!!!!!!

Live it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 12:01 PM
BOTM Winner 07/14

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
It depends on the organization. See below as an example taken from the CMRA 2006 rulebook.
Quote:
Novice riders who meet or exceed the requirement of Expert classification will be promoted to Expert status at the end of the racing season. The method of advancement is by the Rider Index formula, which is a mathematical formula that factors both finishes and field sizes. The Rider Index is determined using the following formula: Rider Index = 1 - (Finishing Position / Number of Starters). This is calculated for each race a rider enters, then the average of all his/her races that season. The Novice rider must have entered at least 15 races to be included in consideration for advancement. The CMRA Board of Directors will determine the number of Novice riders to be advanced each season, and the Rider Index will be announced following the last race of each season. Riders with a Rider Index at and above the announced Rider Index are automatically moved up to Expert the following year. Also, any Novice who wins a Class Championship is automatically moved up to Expert.
Novice riders not meeting the criteria may apply for advancement to Expert status by submitting a written request to the CMRA office, which may or may not be allowed pending review of the riderís performance and finishes by the CMRA Board of Directors. Riders may decline advancement via writing or email to CMRA if they feel they are not ready to compete on the Expert level, and may or may not be allowed to retain Novice status pending review of the riderís performance and finishes by the CMRA Board of Directors.
Novice riders who exhibit Expert level skills and levels of performance may be asked to voluntarily be promoted to Expert in mid-season.
A rider may apply to move down in status from Expert to Novice if Novice riders are beating him consistently. Riders may or may not be allowed to move down in status pending review of the riderís performance and finishes by the CMRA Board of Directors.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 07:44 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by airtimebill
All the advice is correct and very good sense. What you are all trying to say is dont run before you walk.

But he needs to be an expert rider before he can go back to the Isle of Man from the states to race the Manx GP. Although he comes from the isle of man, because he is gaining all his race experience in the states he needs to be an international rider to qualify for a race start in the manx. For him to get his internarional licence he has to be an expert in the states.

But i understand everyone telling him to take his time.
Not to kill all his hopes, but I doubt you would be able to obtain an international license by running American club events. You would need to have an AMA license and point standings in order to do that. I used to run CCS, WERA, and USGPRU back in the states now running MFJ (equivilant to the AMA in the US) in Japan and the first question they asked me when I came over regarding previous race experience was for my AMA license and ranking. That was just to run at the national level here in Japan.

Only through the major national level racing orginizations can you score an FIM international license. The rules may be different per orginization and per class. For instance, to qualify for an FIM international license here in Japan, I would need to win a National level race in one of four very competitive categories (GP125, GP250, ST600, or JSB) or finish top 5 by the end of the season in any of the aforementioned classes. I am not sure what it takes to qualify for an international license for the AMA.

Word...

Rich DeRousse
http://www.rocketjockeyracing.com
"If you can't be fast, be flashy!"
'76 CB750 SOHC (Cafe Racer)
'04 PocketBike
'07 Honda CBR600RR
'10 BMW S1000RR (Race-only)
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 01:23 PM

Finish the season with a top 10 spot; then you'll be given the choice to move up or not.

I find it rather odd that you would be asking that question.............if you were good enough to move up to expert I would have assumed that you should know something like that.

................but maybe I'm just talking out of my ass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page