First trackday advice - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
cyclesector.com

Feedback Score: 85 reviews
First trackday advice

So my first trackday is coming up this month. At first it wasnt even a consideration of which bike I would take, the RR of course. But now that I have been thinking about it, I am considering taking the F2 instead since I have no experience on the track and I dont want to crash the RR. Of course I dont want to crash the F2 either, but I'd rather it be that one than my beautiful Valentina.

Anyway, I just wanted to see if anyone had any advice on this. Will taking an older, heavier bike limit me as far as learning better skills. Or since I will be just learning and taking it slow, the difference of technology won't be such a factor?

I need to make up my mind soon so I can order the right set of Pilot Powers.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 12:02 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Race plastics #1 hands down. Also, take off your peg feelers. I learned that the hard way resulting in my reasoning for the plastics.

"Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence".

Last edited by The Power Of Dreams; 02-06-2006 at 12:13 AM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 01:08 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
disco, which track are you going to? if you need help getting track ready. shoot me a pm, i am in MM.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 01:24 AM
Moto GP Racer

For my first TrackDay.

1. Find out the rules of the track, coolant, tape light, tire, ect.

2.Go over the bike for any problems.

3. Listen to the instructor

4. And have fun!!!!!! Just remember this is your first trackday so don't go over your head.

Last edited by LonelyRR; 02-06-2006 at 01:30 AM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
cyclesector.com

I'm going to Streets of Willow Springs on Feb.27th. I've never had experience getting track ready so I could probably use some help. But which bike should I take?!

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 01:41 AM
Moto GP Racer

Take which ever bike you feel comfortable on.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 01:50 AM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco
I'm going to Streets of Willow Springs on Feb.27th. I've never had experience getting track ready so I could probably use some help. But which bike should I take?!
Nice track to learn at. Watch out for bumps tho.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 09:44 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
If your level headed and listen to the instructors, you shouldn't have to worry about crashing either. I would take the bike you feel the most comfortable on and the one which will be easier to set up.

If one bike is your daily commuter, I'd put the track tires on the other cause you'll be going back as soon as funds allow!

Fire Coming Out Of The Monkeys Head
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayrock
If your level headed and listen to the instructors, you shouldn't have to worry about crashing either. I would take the bike you feel the most comfortable on and the one which will be easier to set up.

If one bike is your daily commuter, I'd put the track tires on the other cause you'll be going back as soon as funds allow!
+1 Once you do your first trackday, you'll be addicted. I don't get too exited about riding on the street anymore.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 10:34 AM
Pocketbike Racer

If I was in your position, I would probably take your RR because you will have a lot more fun with it. As far as crashing, I would recommend taking it easy for the first half day before you become comfortable with the track.

Here are some side questions: Why don't you just bring both? Not to dog on the F2, but why do you even have one? Is it your commuter bike?

CCS #56 Expert
ASRA #156

2008 CCS Great Plains Overall amateur champion

2008 Regional class championships:
GTO
GTU
Unlimited Supersport
Heavyweight Supersport
Unlimited Grand Prix
Unlimited Superbike
Middleweight Superbike
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 11:30 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would take whichever bike you feel good on... Don't worry about crashing thats how you crash. On my first trackday I had target fixation on the rider in front of me and completely forgot about the turning coming up. Needless to say I had to check up about 1/4 of the way through the corner and stood it strait up in preperation for the grass. HAHA its funny just before that track session my instructor told us that if we went off track not to touch the front brake to slow down. THANK YOU TO HIM i saved the bike and kept on riding.
-Nathan
Have fun
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
cyclesector.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan42657
If I was in your position, I would probably take your RR because you will have a lot more fun with it. As far as crashing, I would recommend taking it easy for the first half day before you become comfortable with the track.

Here are some side questions: Why don't you just bring both? Not to dog on the F2, but why do you even have one? Is it your commuter bike?
I know I would definately have more fun on the RR. I guess I'm just going to have to keep checking myself to take it easy. Although I am very competitive.

Yes the F2 is my commuter bike, although I don't like commuting to work on the bikes anymore. Actually, I rarely use it, but that baby can still keep up with the best of them. I also would also much rather keep street tires on that one and put the Pilot Powers on the RR.

Well, I guess I'm taking Valentina to the track!

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 12:18 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Have fun man!

Fire Coming Out Of The Monkeys Head
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 08:26 PM

Sounds like ya got a good head on your shoulders.

I'd recommend that its not important to try an break the track record on the 1st day.

I've seen some dudes that love to point and shoot their bikes on the street and think they can Rule on a track, couple laps later the crash truck and an ambulance are bringing them back to the pits, broken bones and costly repairs to a bike ain't worth it.

Like everybody else said, Have Fun.
As your seat time increases , your lap times will drop naturally.
Technically speaking

Corner Entrance = In Slow Out Fast

and looking for a video of the track before hand would be cool
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 10:05 PM

I would take the RR. I had a F3 and have a 03 rr now. My god what a difference. Whether you can ride fast or not, the RR should feel alot better than the "slug"(thats what i called mine). the rr is probably safer to ride since it handles so much better. Good Luck, you'll never ride on the street again
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 10:09 PM

I'm not saying this is right for you but here's the way I look at it . I have an '03RR and a '99F4 . I'm currently using my F4 as my track bike for a couple of reasons .

First - It's got over 30K miles on it so the resale value is pretty low . I figure if there's a chance I'm going to wad a bike at the track it makes more sense for it to be my F4 .

Second - I feel like I'm learning more by using my F4 as my track bike . It isn't as easy to go fast on . It doesn't have the HP or the handeling that my RR has , so " I " have to learn to make up the difference . I have a few friends that just moved down to 250 2 strokes for similar reasons .

Either way , good luck and have fun .
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 11:24 PM

Disco... just go out there and have fun... it's not about those other guys out there...it's just as much your track in those sessions as theirs. Go out there, have fun and look through the corners... remember your bike will go where you are looking as long as you aren't pushing super hard.

SSSMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTHHHHHHHHH is the key!
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 11:30 PM

just take the rr, its a great track bike.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
cyclesector.com

Well I'm also taking the novice riders school with fastrackriders, so I'll have instruction all day.

Quote:
I feel like I'm learning more by using my F4 as my track bike . It isn't as easy to go fast on . It doesn't have the HP or the handeling that my RR has , so " I " have to learn to make up the difference . I have a few friends that just moved down to 250 2 strokes for similar reasons .
I also thought about this. If I ride the F2 and get good on it, then I will be even better on the much smoother and lighter RR. I plan on doing many track days this year, so I'm sure I'll saddle up on the F2 one of those times.

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 11:47 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco
Well I'm also taking the novice riders school with fastrackriders, so I'll have instruction all day.

I also thought about this. If I ride the F2 and get good on it, then I will be even better on the much smoother and lighter RR. I plan on doing many track days this year, so I'm sure I'll saddle up on the F2 one of those times.
I would start with the F2 first, cause then you'd appreciate the superiority of an RR once you get faster and faster.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 11:52 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
what jotaro said.
also, approach your trackday more as a day to finesse your street canyon riding, not about how fast you can go. If you ride as hard as you do on the street (at least to start) you wont have to worry about crashing. take it easy, there's plenty of time to go fast...it wont be your last trackday-trust me.

Pablo...2004 cbr600rr

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 12:21 AM

Just remember ! YOUR GEOMETRY IS DIFFERENT ON A DIFFERENT BIKE!

unless ya got a tuner

so don't just go haulin ass on the first lap on the other bike, work up to it. The bike will speak to you as you enter corners , roll through the apex, and throttle out the exit.. . the bike will speak to you.. gotta learn its lingo
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 09:28 PM

I'd take the F2 for your first track day. It may be old & slow compared to your RR but guaranteed that you'll have a blast regardless. Trust me, the guys out there on their SV650's are having a boat load of fun too. Since it's your first time on the track, you aren't going to be setting any lap records. I would think that it would be a lot less painful to wad the F2 then your RR. Besides, just think...If you get quick on the F2, imagine how you'll be on the RR. The F2 is more than capable of getting you around the track at a respectable speed while you're learning.

My 2 cents.

Danny
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 12:18 AM

don't crash...it'll be that much longer before you can do another trackday. j/k, listen to the instructors and have fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page