Running 218's at the track - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile Running 218's at the track

Hey I was wondering if anyone of you out there ran your stock tires ( Dunlop D218's) at a trackday? I have one coming up and really don't have the $$$ to buy new tires at the moment. Any info would be nice. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

I forgot to mention that I'm a "B" level rider although sometimes I'll drop down to "C" if I'm not feeling it.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 07:23 PM

I ran a brand new (~500 street breakin miles) set of 218's at VIR last May. They held up well until the second day. VIR is mostly right handersand that didn't help things very much. Towards the middle of the second day, I felt the right side starting to slide. I spun the rear up in the middle of a turn - it was controlled but no feedback prior. I took another lap and felt that the rear was not tracking in the turn at all. I tempted fate and lost later in the day as the rear was still sloppy in the turns.

I immediately pulled them off (less than 700 miles) and have not used them since. I've never been a dunlop fanboy anyway. After the two days, the right side of the tire was pretty much done. See how you feel on them. First sign of them getting sloppy, don't push it.

I'm a "B" level rider as well.

Last edited by ol808lo; 02-06-2006 at 07:25 PM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 07:58 PM
Superbike racer

Street tires are for the street.....

how much will it cost to fix your bike when your street tires fail vs. buying a set of proper track tires

you do the math

CCS EX#100
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 05:44 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I ran a set a few weekends back at a trackday organized by our own Hawaiian 600RR rider. I was there on a business trip but rented an R6 (gomenasai for mentioning the competition on the 600RR board) because that's all they had. The R6 had a pair of D218s on it.

I deflated from street pressure to about 30psi front/rear and just ran with that all day. Take my review for what's its worth as it was my first time ever on that bike and on that track.

The tires felt much like any other tire I've ridden. I didn't emediately notice any difference in profile effecting turn-in rate or ability to hold a line. Then again I was learning the bike's geometry and behavior at the same time. I found that they came up to temp fairly quickly (maybe 3 laps at Hawaii's very short course) in the wonderfully warm weather Hawaii enjoys all year long.
I did manage to spin it up just a tad once, but that was my own fault getting a bit anxious on the throttle trying to follow one of the trackday instructors too closely. The tire reacted the same as my Bridgestone race DOTs on the 600RR.

As long as your tire has plenty of rubber on it and you're smooth on the throttle (I realize that no matter what tire you're on, if you goose it enough you'll encounter some difficulties) you should have no problems.

After a good trackday shaggin' your tires will loose a bit of usable rubber, so you may end up having to pull out some pocket cash anyway to replace the street rubber you left at the track.
; P

Word...

Rich DeRousse
http://www.rocketjockeyracing.com
"If you can't be fast, be flashy!"
'76 CB750 SOHC (Cafe Racer)
'04 PocketBike
'07 Honda CBR600RR
'10 BMW S1000RR (Race-only)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 10:40 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I ran my 208ZR's (new rear) at Jennings and had no problems. I dropped the pressure to run about 35/35 HOT and the tires held up just fine. Still running them in fact.

When I first went out the turn-in was a little less than desired but once the tires got up to temp they felt great. Just don't go out trying to set any lap records.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 11:49 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

I would rather use duct tape on my rims than 218's.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 12:50 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
you'll be fine if you have less than 1000 miles on the tires (give or take). any more than that and they'll get greasy. next tires you buy should be better tires so you dont have to worry about it-pilot powers, dunlop qualifiers (no experience), pirelli diablo corsa.

Pablo...2004 cbr600rr

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 03:10 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

all I have to say is there DUNLOPS
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 04:03 PM

it is worth waiting and save the cash to get some good track tires... so that it is one less thing in the back of your mind for your track day. tires are the ABSOLUTE DIFFERENCE between having a SHITE day or a GREAT day at the track... especially if it is your first time... because confidence is soooo important.

we have some great specials on michelin power race tires (packages with free S&H). feel free to give us a call when you are ready.

cheers... nick - mri

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTuna
Street tires are for the street.....

how much will it cost to fix your bike when your street tires fail vs. buying a set of proper track tires

you do the math
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 09:37 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Is it me or are there 3 group's at a trackday?
slow
mediem
fast
Lets face it if it's your 1st time out to the track street tires are fine. cuz unless your the 1 out of 10,000 riders that has the nack for going fast, your first time is about as slow as your pet turtle.
The street tires today a actually very good. I've done a few trackdays with the M pilot powers and had no problems.
Now if you are going to be running around in fast group, then I would suggest yo uget race tires. otherwise I thing you are wasting you money.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 09:26 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zus600rr#388
Is it me or are there 3 group's at a trackday?
slow
mediem
fast
Lets face it if it's your 1st time out to the track street tires are fine. cuz unless your the 1 out of 10,000 riders that has the nack for going fast, your first time is about as slow as your pet turtle.
The street tires today a actually very good. I've done a few trackdays with the M pilot powers and had no problems.
Now if you are going to be running around in fast group, then I would suggest yo uget race tires. otherwise I thing you are wasting you money.
EXACTLY!! If we were to compare the "Street" tires of today with the "Race" tires of yesterday, I'd be willing to bet the street tires of today are far better. Once you realize that we come full circle back to THE RIDER. Know your limits!

Besides, I wouldn't take a new gun into battle without trying it out first. Why would I put race tires on my bike for my first track day when I have NO idea how they will react. It just doesn't make sense to me.

For your first track day you should be concentrating on the instructors directions, track lines, and being smooth. Not unknown, untested tires.

PS. DON'T GO ON THE TRACK WITH OLD STREET TIRES. YOU WON'T PASS TECH.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 01:48 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
When you say old street tires, what are they looking for. I have around 2000 miles on my stock tires. They seem to be okay. Will they pass tech? No burn outs etc...
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 09:11 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkiser
When you say old street tires, what are they looking for. I have around 2000 miles on my stock tires. They seem to be okay. Will they pass tech? No burn outs etc...
It really depends on how many times you've heat cycled them, what kind the are, how long the sat on the shelf, and what kind of roads you ride on. Rubber has a finite life span. The longer it sits the harder it gets. Heat cycling speeds up this process. If the tires are turning blue on the edges I would look for some new tires. But normaly 2000 miles would be fine.

Let's say your if the tires sat on the shelf for a year and then you ride 10 miles each way to and from work, that's 200 heat cycles. But if you just bought fresh tires and you did (10) 200 mile group rides you probably still have good tires. Enough to pass tech.

This only applies to the track and not the street. The time frame is a lot more forgiving on the street.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 02:08 AM
Superbike racer

i will say it again, street tires are for the street. street tires let go on me at my 1st track day and i crashed my bike. even if you are slow why take the chance?

if i am wrong you'll never know but if you listen to everyone else and they are wrong you'll be spending more to fix your bike

CCS EX#100
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 02:18 AM

I'm a fairly new rider and I toasted my dunlops in one summer LEARNING how to be quick. Good tires should be included in the cost of a track day for sure.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 11:55 AM

You dont need full on race tires, just anything other than 218's. Pilot powers are the only good tires that I have had personal experience with, and they should be fine for all but the fastest on the track. there is a big difference in street tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page