Gobert In The News Again - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Superbike racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gobert In The News Again

This is just sad for somebody that had so much talent...

An Australian newspaper reported last week that Anthony Gobert was recently ticketed for driving without a license-for the third time in five months. The way it stands now, Gobert will not be able to legally drive in Australia until November 2010. He was fined $600 and sentenced to 300 hours of community service for his driving offense.

Disturbingly, according to the report, during Gobert's court appearance, his attorney stated that the reason Gobert had been out driving on the day when he was ticketed was to buy heroin, that Gobert now has issues with "heroin addiction".

CCS EX#100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 05:58 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
heroin, that Gobert now has issues with "heroin addiction".
that is a shame but it happened to so many talented human beings
in various feilds and walks of life

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 06:31 PM

Here is an update to this story.....sounds like a little better situation.

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2006/Feb/060207g.htm

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 07:07 PM
Back in the Day

jesse
wrong story bro here is the correct one

Whenever I hear Anthony Gobert's name, two memories immediately unfold in my mind. One is of Gobert riding the Muzzy Kawasaki in Friday practice Monza in 1995 or 1996; the session was winding down and Gobert was one of the few bikes left on the track. He and that Kawasaki were precision instruments in the back section at Monza, and as the sun streamed on my face the slight breeze blew through the wispy woods that make up Monza, it seemed, just for a moment, like I was witnessing racing perfection.

The other immediate memory that I have of Go-Show is of him battling with John Kocinski the next year at Laguna Seca. Gobert's run down the hill from the corkscrew and his flat-out amazing late-braking into Laguna Seca's final turn were beyond belief to even veteran race watchers. Gobert had the Muzzy bike so far leaned over that from some angles it looked like he was using the front brake disks to keep the bike up. Never in my life have I seen more people watch a race and then shake their heads in disbelief at what they were seeing than on that day.

When those two memories rush past in my head I always smile, no matter what I happen to be doing at the time.

Sadly, it became quite clear as he aged into his 20s that Anthony Gobert had and seemingly still has serious issues with addiction. Those issues and the situations that were brought about because of those addictions certainly curtailed Anthony's racing career, destroying it, in reality. Gobert has been racing in Australia on a semi-private Honda in the Australian Superbike series for the last year, in a low-key attempt to get him back in a place where he can race competitively again. It must certainly be soul-bending for him to do, as there were periods when Gobert was considered the most talented rider in the world.

Judging from a press report from Australia, the addiction demons that have shadowed the likable Australian for the last decade may have actually grown stronger instead of being corralled.

An Australian newspaper reported last week that Anthony Gobert was recently ticketed for driving without a license-for the third time in five months. The way it stands now, Gobert will not be able to legally drive in Australia until November 2010. He was fined $600 and sentenced to 300 hours of community service for his driving offense.

Disturbingly, according to the report, during Gobert's court appearance, his attorney stated that the reason Gobert had been out driving on the day when he was ticketed was to buy heroin, that Gobert now has issues with "heroin addiction".

The report also states that Gobert has an opportunity to race in the World Endurance series "later this year".

Gobert will turn 31 next month.

Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 07:15 PM
Nemesis

It applies to everyone, not just the talented--everyone's talented IMO. Still, I know what you mean.

Drugs? <---stupidest thing you can do. See too many people waste their time and lives using drugs. Truly sad.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 07:23 PM

Unfortunately, it's those same addictive tendancies that make him great. The way the chemicals in the brain work, riding a bike to it's potential and winning a big race is a better high than any drug.
I should know, I too have that same personality... only my fix is in the cookie aisle at the supermarket :)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Superbike racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCSEX122
I should know, I too have that same personality... only my fix is in the cookie aisle at the supermarket :)
thats why i weight 235lbs

CCS EX#100
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 08:31 PM

Moeman....Soup screwed that one up....hehe.

This is the one I was talking about. It's a response from his mom, who is also his manager.

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2006/Feb/060207v.htm
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 08:48 PM
Back in the Day

jesse
thanks man to be fair to Anthony Gobert

This just in from Anthony Gobert's longtime manager and lifetime mom, Sue Gobert:

I am shocked to see all the letters about Anthony all over the web today.

What the article in the newspaper did not say is that Anthony completed rehab (at his own instigation) and has now been clean for many, many months.

The offences occurred a long time ago but the court hearing
was adjourned a couple of times so there has been a big gap
between the time of the offences and the court hearing.

This is the reason why he was not jailed but only given such a minor penalty compared to what he should have received because the judge was happy that Anthony had taken steps to turn his life around and is now completely drug free.

Anthony has had a serious drug problem for some time and has been fighting it for years, sometimes winning, sometimes not.

The "TALL POPPY SYNDROME" is alive and well in Australia and there are still many jealous people who just live to cause havoc to some people whom they consider to be better off than themselves.

Anthony has hurt himself more than anything and has tried very hard over the years to overcome his addiction. Some faceless person has sent the newspaper to every journalist worldwide and also to every one who is some way involved in the sport of motor cycle racing. It seems so unfair that he should be treated this way when he has finally overcome his addiction and was starting to get his life back together. So, I would be grateful if you could print this letter or some form of comment from me to stop all the uninformed discussion.
Thank you,
Sue Gobert

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page