Do tire warmers extend tire life of Race tires ? - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Do tire warmers extend tire life of Race tires ?

See question above. I'm trying to figure out whether warmers would help pay for themselves over the course of a couple seasons? I don't mind having to take a lap to warm the tires so I'm really just looking to extend tire life. Thanks, Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 01:32 PM

Yes they will help
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 02:07 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

On this subject:

I overheard some peeps talking about cooling tires down with warmers.

I guess they were talking cooling the tires down slow to ease the heat cycle. Kinda like annealing or tempering metal.

Anybody actually do this??

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 03:48 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
rockitfuel is right on the money. warmers will help slow the cooling of the tire carcass. It is the carcass which is the hardest, and most important, thing to get to proper operating temperature. Keeping the carcass from cooling quickly or completely will help the life of the tire.

You will make your money back, but the rate of return will depend on brand of tires. I generally run Michelin and using the warmers has made a big difference in how the tire works as the # of cycles builds. I can get several more cycles out of the tire before I feel them going off, and when they do go off it is more gradual. I have had less, but similar experience with Dunce-lop, but not as dramatic.

Put your warmers on the tires in the morning for a full "baking" (time varies by tire brand and warmer brand, etc), then put them back on w/o plugging them in when your session is over. If you go back out in less than an hour you may find you don't need to plug them back in at all. If there is a big break in your day leave the warmers on to slow the rate of cooling and plug them in for a good baking before getting back on the track.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 03:53 PM
World Superbike Racer

There was a big thread on clubracer.net about this, and one of the things stated was direct from one of the manufacturers that actually recommended open air cooldowns vs tire warmer cooldowns, and that the warmers didnt really extend the life, they basically just got them warm for 1st lap..

^chka0tic :: WERA N#721 :: 2003 Honda CBR600RR
- OverTwo Customs / http://www.overtwocustoms.com/
- Vortex Racing / www.vortexracing.com
- RK Chain / www.rkexcelamerica.com
- Lockhart Phillips / www.teamprivateer.com
-
- www.sponsorhouse.com/members/chkaotic
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 05:17 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by chkaotic
There was a big thread on clubracer.net about this, and one of the things stated was direct from one of the manufacturers that actually recommended open air cooldowns vs tire warmer cooldowns, and that the warmers didnt really extend the life, they basically just got them warm for 1st lap..
damnit!~! you had to throw that in there didn't you?? LOL!! i have gone back and forth with this for 3 seasons now. (track days only, no time or money to race). but i also would like to cut expenses as much as possible and tires are one of the biggest. i have heard both sides of this topic but have yet to get a definitive answer from someone i trust. please help us!!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 05:39 PM

just use em.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 05:46 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE MUFFIN MAN
damnit!~! you had to throw that in there didn't you?? LOL!! i have gone back and forth with this for 3 seasons now. (track days only, no time or money to race). but i also would like to cut expenses as much as possible and tires are one of the biggest. i have heard both sides of this topic but have yet to get a definitive answer from someone i trust. please help us!!!
I would still be on the side that its better to use them than not.. for one, you will cut away the need to "warm up" on the first lap, hence thats 7 laps (if you do 7 sessions a day) that you gain, basically..

Since I got my chickenhawks, I ain't not usin em again (pardon le english.. im from OZ) :D

^chka0tic :: WERA N#721 :: 2003 Honda CBR600RR
- OverTwo Customs / http://www.overtwocustoms.com/
- Vortex Racing / www.vortexracing.com
- RK Chain / www.rkexcelamerica.com
- Lockhart Phillips / www.teamprivateer.com
-
- www.sponsorhouse.com/members/chkaotic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page