Gearing for Daytona and Moroso - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer
 
tonyshowtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Jacksonville,FL
Posts: 657
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Question Gearing for Daytona and Moroso

So this is my first season of Racing with CCS Fl region and have quickly learned that gearing is everything. so i just want to know a base line gearing for daytona and moroso, i know everyone is different, but i did have 15/45 on and at homestead i went to 15/47 and that seemed to do good. i know i will have to change a few times to get what works for me but does anyone have a guideline so i can go with a baseline instead of not having a clue.

Thanks in Advance
Tony.
tonyshowtime is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 07:05 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 986
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
did you race homestead? if so what classes and what did you place? gearing isnt everything, its corner entry speed i raced MWSS placed 8th HWSS placed 5th, MWSB placed 8th.
MannyMalice is offline  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer
 
tonyshowtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Jacksonville,FL
Posts: 657
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidKid
did you race homestead? if so what classes and what did you place? gearing isnt everything, its corner entry speed i raced MWSS placed 8th HWSS placed 5th, MWSB placed 8th.
Holy crap! you overtook me then. MWSS 11th and MWSBK 11th also, so not far behind you, i did notice i was overtaken alot being out broke going into the corners, i need to work on that but it was only my 2nd race so i just didn't want to end up in the gravel so i concentrated on finishing, but i know i need to work on it. were you on a light blue bike? i cant remember cause i was overtaken so much, god i hate turn 9 is it.coming off the bank onto the infield.i know i lost alot of time there. that was one of the places i was overtaken alot.
tonyshowtime is offline  
 
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 08:11 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 986
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i have a black rr with orange rims, #420... yea that drop coming in from the infield is leathal, i started off in 4th row and got passed by like 100 bikes into turn 1, then i started picked off a lot of people and made it up too 8th... second race i had a good start and was in 3rd for a while and made few mistakes and ended in 5th.... i ran wide at the last turn on the last lap and got passed!!!! wtf! oh well, better luck next time... ok for a first race i guess, and being 18 and broke... did u notice that tent outside the track that collapsed? it was mine lol
MannyMalice is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 08:39 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 85
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
As a professional suspension tuner once said "Proper gearing is worth thousands of dollars in motor work". You do what you want too, but I would worry about your gearing selection regardless of what everyone else says. If you need expert advice then ask some of the leading experts and they will tell you that gearing is very important.
fatboy122 is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 09:52 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 128
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i suck...i was in the back of the pack! Anywho...this is my first year racing.
papo600RR is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 01:21 PM
Knee Dragger
 
airtimebill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Plymouth England
Posts: 206
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy122
As a professional suspension tuner once said "Proper gearing is worth thousands of dollars in motor work". You do what you want too, but I would worry about your gearing selection regardless of what everyone else says. If you need expert advice then ask some of the leading experts and they will tell you that gearing is very important.
This is so true it hurts. People spend thousands on their bikes then gear them all wrong, and you may as well be out there on a push bike.

Gearing is everything. Get someone to time you on every lap and gather all your data. You may feel like you are going faster but infact your time will show you that you are infact slower, because you have sacrificed speed for acceleration.

When you carry more corner speed, you then need the legs down the straight.

airtimebill

www.kakaracing.com

If i have spelt things wrong and used bad English, then i am sorry for putting you through it. But i am here about the bikes and racing..............

One life !!!!!!!!!!!

Live it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

airtimebill is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 01:28 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 128
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyshowtime
Holy crap! you overtook me then. MWSS 11th and MWSBK 11th also, so not far behind you, i did notice i was overtaken alot being out broke going into the corners, i need to work on that but it was only my 2nd race so i just didn't want to end up in the gravel so i concentrated on finishing, but i know i need to work on it. were you on a light blue bike? i cant remember cause i was overtaken so much, god i hate turn 9 is it.coming off the bank onto the infield.i know i lost alot of time there. that was one of the places i was overtaken alot.

Turn 9 is very scary...in fac, i hate that little dip by the rubber...i carried so much speed into that turn that I had to throw down my knee and once i got into that dip, my knee slammed onto the pavement and i thought that was it for me because it felt like after the impact it was going to throw me off the bike into a highside, but luckily i held on and kept going.
papo600RR is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 01:35 PM
Knee Dragger
 
airtimebill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Plymouth England
Posts: 206
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by papo600RR
Turn 9 is very scary...in fac, i hate that little dip by the rubber...i carried so much speed into that turn that I had to throw down my knee and once i got into that dip, my knee slammed onto the pavement and i thought that was it for me because it felt like after the impact it was going to throw me off the bike into a highside, but luckily i held on and kept going.
Dont near misses just make your balls tingle. But i love the rush of it. You know that you really are pushing when that happens.

Good effort.

airtimebill

www.kakaracing.com

If i have spelt things wrong and used bad English, then i am sorry for putting you through it. But i am here about the bikes and racing..............

One life !!!!!!!!!!!

Live it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

airtimebill is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 01:42 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 128
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by airtimebill
Dont near misses just make your balls tingle. But i love the rush of it. You know that you really are pushing when that happens.

Good effort.

I love the tingle feeling...lol

Yea I was pushing it on the backstraight...it is really different from practice and/or trackday
papo600RR is offline  
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 02:30 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 986
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
yea turn 9 is leathal, i still havnt figured out the quickest way through there... im guessing if you want to go in wot, you have to turn in really late and stand the bike up a little bit, unstead of gradually making your way in, dragging knee, that hump throws me off so much.
MannyMalice is offline  
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer
 
tonyshowtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Jacksonville,FL
Posts: 657
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidKid
yea turn 9 is leathal, i still havnt figured out the quickest way through there... im guessing if you want to go in wot, you have to turn in really late and stand the bike up a little bit, unstead of gradually making your way in, dragging knee, that hump throws me off so much.
i remember seeing you now, you's were only a couple of garages down from me. i was in 8A. so are you going to Daytona then. cant wait for that badboy. hopefully i can keep inproving slightly each race. Yer Turn 9 was definately a corner i didn't like,just couldn't send to get to grips with it.
tonyshowtime is offline  
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 09:54 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 986
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
im missing daytona and moroso to develop the bike a bit... that and being a broke 18 year old college student doesnt help either ... im going to win at jennings, i have to, maybe ill get some sponsors lol
MannyMalice is offline  
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 10:10 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 85
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidKid
im missing daytona and moroso to develop the bike a bit... that and being a broke 18 year old college student doesnt help either ... im going to win at jennings, i have to, maybe ill get some sponsors lol
Whats your lap times at Jennings??
fatboy122 is offline  
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 10:55 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 986
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1:24 on street tires last november, im better than i was then... i was kidding about winning, but its wishful thinking i guess
MannyMalice is offline  
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 06:54 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 85
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidKid
1:24 on street tires last november, im better than i was then... i was kidding about winning, but its wishful thinking i guess
Everyone has a shot in AM MW thats for sure. I'll see you there in April. I will be there the first weekend in March too.
fatboy122 is offline  
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 08:37 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 128
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidKid
1:24 on street tires last november, im better than i was then... i was kidding about winning, but its wishful thinking i guess

thats really damn good!
papo600RR is offline  
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 08:37 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 128
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy122
Everyone has a shot in AM MW thats for sure. I'll see you there in April. I will be there the first weekend in March too.

I wont even be near the front of the pack this year....hopefully 2-3 yrs down the road i'll be up there.
papo600RR is offline  
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 09:33 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 986
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
yea i did pretty well at homestead for my first race, and my first time at homestead. I have been to jennings atleast 5 times and feel extremely confident there, its home as far as racing goes to me... im really hopeing i pull something off there, because i know i cant keep racing if i dont get some sponsors, being that im 18, it shouldnt be to difficult as long as i keep getting good finishes.
MannyMalice is offline  
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 08:20 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 85
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
good luck, just dont knock #122 off the track on your way to the front
fatboy122 is offline  
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 09:40 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 986
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
haha cant make any promises!
MannyMalice is offline  
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 10:06 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 128
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
you will do just fine without sponsors...racing does cost money but with a solid job, you can afford it...sponsors will help unless you're a damn badass u get stuff for free probably.
papo600RR is offline  
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 11:36 AM
AMA Supersport Racer
 
hawaii600rr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mequon, WI
Posts: 777
Images: 42
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
so what is the gearing for Daytona?

HRRA #69
CCS MW #330
AFM #330R

Sponsors

RK Racing chains
SUOMY HELMETSwww.suomy-usa.com
GALFER BRAKES www.galferusa.com
OXTAR BOOTS www.oxtar-usa.com
RACE TECH www.race-tech.com
DUNLOP TIRES sporttire.com
JARDINE EXHAUST www.jardineproducts.com
AMSOIL www.amsoil.com
hawaii600rr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome