Peg dragging and lean angle - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Peg dragging and lean angle

Hey all. After reading the ump-teenth post about rearsets, I thought I'd throw this one in the air:

I ride on the track fairly often. I'm riding a 2004 600RR with stock suspension and rearsets. I've set the sag correctly for my weight (172lbs with gear) but other than that it's all stock. I'm not fast, but definitely not slow, so let's call it intermediate. The thing is, I carry some lean angle in corners, I reckon, but I've only ever once dragged my toe, and never either peg, with the feelers still on! I get off the bike quite a lot, I know. So how are people dragging the stock pegs to such an extent that they need rearsets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 07:44 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I practically ground off the stock rearset feelers and even drug them a few times after I took them off. Since then I have angle cut about 3/4" off the peg and have not drug them since. I do hang off fairly well and do high intermed times on the tracks I've been to.

Yellow 08 1000RR
Nesba/Wera 561
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proze
Hey all. After reading the ump-teenth post about rearsets, I thought I'd throw this one in the air:

I ride on the track fairly often. I'm riding a 2004 600RR with stock suspension and rearsets. I've set the sag correctly for my weight (172lbs with gear) but other than that it's all stock. I'm not fast, but definitely not slow, so let's call it intermediate. The thing is, I carry some lean angle in corners, I reckon, but I've only ever once dragged my toe, and never either peg, with the feelers still on! I get off the bike quite a lot, I know. So how are people dragging the stock pegs to such an extent that they need rearsets?
riders that are dragging the pegs may think they're getting off the bike but they're not. i've had riders swear up and down that they're nearly laying on the track until they see a photo of themselves. if you're dragging a peg you're not hanging off as much as you think. i had stock pegs on my RR in 04 and never once did they touch the ground. the only thing that should be touching the asphalt in a turn is your knee or in some cases for the talented, your elbow! now, this is not to say that you need to drag your knee in every corner. just position yourself so your knee touches before anything else on the bike does. this is my $0.02.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 08:25 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Proze: I can't say that I ever dragged a foot peg when I still had the stockers on and definitely not with aftermarket rearsets. I do sometimes drag a spot on my fairing which seems to stick out a bit too much and a toe every now and then but never foot pegs. You're riding is good, your body position too so I wouldn't worry about it too much at the moment. As you get faster you'll have to adjust things like position and rearsets etc but for now you shouldn't even think about it!

P.S. When are you at the track again?

'04 Candy Blue CBR 600RR
Yoshi RS5 Full System
BMC Air Filter
PCIII usb
Arrow rearsets
Renthal 14/46 sprockets with 520 chain
Emission system fully removed
APR Racing brake pads
A few other minor mods that I can't remember now.

"Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die"
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 08:33 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
proze, i just checked your pics... you get off the bike a ton... so there's no way you could drag your pegs, knee hits first in all your shots... the only way you could would be to get back on the bike a little bit for more lean angle and then maybe you'd have a shot.

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 08:40 AM

some of the dot races tires are 'rated' for nearly 60 degrees off-vertical lean angle. IMO if you carry enough corner speed, even getting off the bike, as you speed up the bike will keep leaning in. I've had it happen a couple (literally two) times and I KNOW that I am definitely getting way off the bike. Just my 0.02
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 09:19 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
riders that are dragging the pegs may think they're getting off the bike but they're not. i've had riders swear up and down that they're nearly laying on the track until they see a photo of themselves. if you're dragging a peg you're not hanging off as much
+1
rookies like me drag pegs. my body position was decent, but my head was in the wrong place. i wasn't "kissing the mirror" like i should've been. that made me drag pegs fairly often and eventually lowside. if you're not dragging then kudos.... stick out your knee and wave for camera. i'll get out of the way.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrmarc
riders that are dragging the pegs may think they're getting off the bike but they're not. i've had riders swear up and down that they're nearly laying on the track until they see a photo of themselves. if you're dragging a peg you're not hanging off as much as you think. i had stock pegs on my RR in 04 and never once did they touch the ground. the only thing that should be touching the asphalt in a turn is your knee or in some cases for the talented, your elbow! now, this is not to say that you need to drag your knee in every corner. just position yourself so your knee touches before anything else on the bike does. this is my $0.02.
+1...........
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 11:05 AM
Moto GP Racer

I drag my toe slider more then the peg and i'm hanging off.
Anyone else having this problem? I think my legs alittle short.

I just need more track time to get my foot in the corrcet position.

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 12:46 PM
Lifetime Premium

its usually the slow guys and the really fast guys that have to worry about it, as its already been said not leaning off the bike will cause you to drag the pegs, but also, a fast guy can be leaned off enough and still get enough lean angle to drag stock pegs. I think it was gibernau that dragged his peg at a race last year throwin sparks everywhere even on a motogp bike with pegs that are much higher and shorter than most aftermarket rearsets on a production bike.
good club racers would have the same problem. leaning off will keep them dragging to some extent but if your going fast enough they'll drag eventually, which is why sometimes you'll see racers cut the ends off of aftermarket rearsets

WERA/NESBA #409
My Sponsors: Southern Gasket & Supply, LeoVince, Vortex, Chicken Hawk Racing, Pro-Tek, RK Racing Chains
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 01:13 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have to agree with cbrmarc on this one.

LonelyRR, point your toes to the inside instead of pointing them out, like in your signature picture. Also make sure the balls of your feet are on the pegs and not your heels. It looks like they are in your signature.

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 04:07 PM

Ya................I dragged the crap out of my stock pegs on the F4 at the beginning of the seaon. I wasn't coming off the bike nearly enough. I also dragged the crap out of my stock exhaust. It was sick how ground down it was. And if it hit too hard it would cause my rear to hop/jump. Not fun.

The problem is that most people have no problem getting thier upper body way off of the bike; but their lower body is still too close. I started concentrating on getting my leg out and trying to let my outside arm drape across my tank.

That plus CFM rear sets helped me out a ton.

With the new RR I didn't even bother trying to run the stockers..............went straight to CFM's before I even took her out on the track.

Last edited by sargeek1975; 02-14-2006 at 04:11 PM.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 04:14 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRedRider
I have to agree with cbrmarc on this one.

LonelyRR, point your toes to the inside instead of pointing them out, like in your signature picture. Also make sure the balls of your feet are on the pegs and not your heels. It looks like they are in your signature.
In my signature I was riding slow see'ing that I was almost hit by a mini van @ Deals Gap. Thanks for the tip

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrmarc
I have to disagree a little bit with that. I like having my rearsets higher than most folks and I do hang off a LOT. That said, I still drug my toes everywhere when I raced a RR. Stock foot controls would have been ground to dust quickly. Of course there are so many factors, suspension is a big one, but Honda does seem to put their footpegs pretty low.

If you look at my signature picture down there you can see how close even the frame slider is to touching down.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 01:20 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforce101t
its usually the slow guys and the really fast guys that have to worry about it, as its already been said not leaning off the bike will cause you to drag the pegs, but also, a fast guy can be leaned off enough and still get enough lean angle to drag stock pegs. I think it was gibernau that dragged his peg at a race last year throwin sparks everywhere even on a motogp bike with pegs that are much higher and shorter than most aftermarket rearsets on a production bike.
good club racers would have the same problem. leaning off will keep them dragging to some extent but if your going fast enough they'll drag eventually, which is why sometimes you'll see racers cut the ends off of aftermarket rearsets
airforce is on it. pros even drag the pegs, like troy bayliss. It's really a matter of body positioning, foot position on the peg, and how much the person is leaning off the bike. The more you ride, you'll figure out that the faster you go in a turn, the more you'll want to lean. More lean = less ground clearance for your bike, peg, and toes. It's variable so it will be different for everyone. Reduce the chance of pegs and toes dragging by buying after market rear sets but also take note of your body and foot position to keep the bike with less a lean angle.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 01:56 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

First time on the track with my RR and standard pegs I went through a toe slider and into the boot but not right through luckily (see my Avatar). Toe position would be part of the problem but I went for rearsets to save having to think about my foot position and wearing boots out till I got it right. I've got them set fairly high but having short legs it's not too cramped. Also at some circuits in the UK you have to change up while banked over to the left and I use road gearchange so the rearsets help keep my toe off the floor there too.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 08:31 PM

I run stock rear sets and weigh 230. I place my toes on the rear sets when entering a turn, thats just the way i have always done it. My toe sliders have drug a couple times but not enough for me to worry about rear sets right now. I run very competitive lap times and havent drug the stock pegs YET.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 11:05 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

WE NEED A PIC OF YOU LEANED OVER TO TELL YOU WHATS WRONG!

Other than that it has to do with everything.

190 lbs
I drag the crap out of the toe plates and the pegs thats why I got rearsets
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 12:01 AM
Moto GP Racer

one other aspect of it is that most riders dont have their suspension dialed in (or sag set for that matter) so if you're 175 or so it would be easy to drag pegs just based on how much the suspension compressed in a turn. I guess it has to do with riding style too-I carry lots of corner speed so I'm not accelerating as hard as someone who points and shoots out of turns, thus compressing their suspension more.

Thats also how some people drag their lowers (although you still need serious lean angle for that).

Pablo...2004 cbr600rr

post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 10:59 AM

i drag pegs all day long, through some turns i drag bodywork. Im dying to replace the stock rear sets because they force me into some weird body positions when coming from full lean to upright.
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidKid
i drag pegs all day long, through some turns i drag bodywork. Im dying to replace the stock rear sets because they force me into some weird body positions when coming from full lean to upright.

If you can afford to race or do track days I can't see why you'd be "dying" to replace them. You can get a half set for just over 100 bones...................
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 01:38 PM

im an 18 year old broke college student, and planned my last race so perfectly, i was left with .22 cents in my bank account... hey you asked, i explained :icon_lol:
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 03:39 PM

[QUOTE=SquidKid]i drag pegs all day long, through some turns i drag bodywork. Im dying to replace the stock rear sets QUOTE]

Dig one of them into the ground and you'll wish you had saved the money...

tough one here..

$275 for rearsets or $1000+ high speed wipe out from digging a peg.
you make the call.

Also if you are dragging all of that...chances are your form is jacked too, or you did the raise the forks in the triple for more turn in trick...maybe sacrificing ground clearence?
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 03:49 PM

no its just a double apex turn at homestead where i get so low, all the other turns i hardly touch knee. Im thinking about getting some rearsets off ebay, but i have to sell stockers first.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 03:53 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

until you drag the stockers...I wouldn't worry about buying rearsets.

B.
#97 WERA
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 11:17 PM
Knee Dragger

Solid pegs feel better than the folding stock stuff to me. I don't have an RR, maybe they're different. I'd get rearsets even if I didn't need them for ground clearance, or at least the pegs.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 11:33 PM
Moto GP Racer

I had the Stockers fold up on me when dragging them. Kinda scary when you feel them folding up.

post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 11:08 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

I never draged my aftermarket pegs before but I have taken down some frame slider. So I sawed them down some. Be careful about those too.

06 R6 Raven
(street bike)
05 600rr
(racing: full akrapovic titanium, PCIII USB, vortex clipons/rear sets, ebc pads, galfer braided lines, 520 kit, bmc air filters, puig double bubble, scotts damper, yoyodine slipper clutch, forks resprung, shock rebuild)
03 dodge ram

"Ride anywhere and everywhere."
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDROWN
I never draged my aftermarket pegs before but I have taken down some frame slider. So I sawed them down some. Be careful about those too.
yup, my vortex slidders were hopping my bike at turn 9 at jennings, so i sawed them down too so now ill drag bodywork before i drag those things.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidKid
yup, my vortex slidders were hopping my bike at turn 9 at jennings, so i sawed them down too so now ill drag bodywork before i drag those things.

I had the same problem on my RR. It saved front end tucks twice though *LOL*. Unfortunately it also caused one so ultimately they need to be cut. I can't believe that Vortex hasn't addressed that yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page