Race Report - 10/11 February 2006 - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Race Report - 10/11 February 2006 - Updated with Pics

Race report of the regional event held at Midvaal Raceway 10/11 Feb 2006.

Friday practice was unofficial, true to Midvaal's style that meant no marshals or paramedics which fortunately were not needed by anyone throughout the day. It had rained quite heavily the night before and a few puddles were still dotted around the track but that didn't seem to affect time. I started off well and immediately had my time down by about a second from the previous Sunday and was doing my best ever times at that circuit consistently. By the end of the day I was a full 1.5 seconds faster than Sunday and was well pleased with myself!

Saturday morning - Rain and more rain. Very little shelter outside of the garages and pit garages that leak meant running around in the rain and getting dripped on was the way things were. Got to the track a little late as I just misjudged how tight the times were and I still needed to get wet tires on the bike. Rushed like mad to get everything done but managed to do this intime for qualifying. My first ever session in the rain was actually better than I had expected and i was starting to get into the grove when the chequered flag was shown. I qualified in 8th for the race and was extremely happy with that and really hoping the weather would remain the same. 45 minutes before my race the sun came out and the track rapidly dried which caught all of us off guard which meant that I decided wet tires just weren't the way to go not 20 minutes before the race. Mad panic later and I realised there just wasn't time to do both front and back, so I decided to just run a rear semi-slick and the front wet. Unfortunately I ended up with a almost worn out rear tire (completely my fault, I just wasn't thinking straight)!.

I got a great start, up to 6th for the first corner and I was running nicely although the top 5 quickly ran away from me. Lap 5 of the 10 and my front started sliding quite badly and not long after that the rear too. I had to make a decsion, crash or finish and I chose to finish. I did my best but couldn't hold off the chasing pack and ended up finishing the race in 11th position, much to my frustration and anger. 3 minutes later and it was raining again, ARGHHHH!!

Race 2, it's now raining quite heavily. We did our sighting lap and warm-up lap but a red flag was shown on the last corner indiciating for us to go back into pits. The race and the rest of the races were cancelled due to heavy lightning in the area and the marshals being concerned for their saftey. I can't argue that, I didn't fancy racing in those conditions but I wasn't going to chicken out either! So got soaking wet down to my boxers and got to play in the rain a bit but that was the end of the day.

11th overall means I did get some points and I'm not far off my aim of a few top 10 finishes through the season... Can't wait until the next race on the 25th of March.

2 Pics - both turn 1. I can see from my form that I wasn't riding confidently and was watching the front wheel too closely during the race. My head is no where near where it should be but I still like the pictures!

'04 Candy Blue CBR 600RR
Yoshi RS5 Full System
BMC Air Filter
PCIII usb
Arrow rearsets
Renthal 14/46 sprockets with 520 chain
Emission system fully removed
APR Racing brake pads
A few other minor mods that I can't remember now.

"Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die"

Last edited by Rhino; 02-17-2006 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Added pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 11:10 AM

Congrats man, that's great!! Is it Kyalami next?

Btw, did you see Dave Klette's 06 Blade? White Power front and back, full Arata, PCIII, carbon airbox, etc. Some people have waaaaay too much money!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Thanks Paul! Phakisa is next, then Kyalami on the 29th of April. You should come to Phakisa on the 18th/19th of March - TMM Racing is having a track / race practice weekend.

I did see his bike although I didn't pay much attention to it, I was a bit busy with all my stuff to even think about him! I'll have a proper look next time.

'04 Candy Blue CBR 600RR
Yoshi RS5 Full System
BMC Air Filter
PCIII usb
Arrow rearsets
APR Racing brake pads

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 12:52 PM
Superbike racer

awesome stuff....nice write up!!! Congrats

CCS EX#100
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 01:01 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Nice write up and good luck this season. Are any of the tracks you'll be at near Johannesburg? I am down there every once in a while for work.

Fire Coming Out Of The Monkeys Head
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 01:09 PM

Nice write up and I think you made the right choice to finish instead of the possible crash.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayrock
Nice write up and good luck this season. Are any of the tracks you'll be at near Johannesburg? I am down there every once in a while for work.
Yip, Kyalami is right next to Jo'burg, in Midrand. Zwartkops and Midvaal are also within an hour's drive of most of Jo'burg. Phakisa, the GP circuit, is about 3 hours drive from Jo'burg, and is Rossi's favourite track! Kyalami is a pretty famous track and ranked very highly with some top racers. It's hosted F1 and WSBK in it's time, and will probably be hosting WSBK again this year!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Dayrock: I live in I suppose the greater JHB area, very close to Kyalami. Where do you stay when you are here? Sandton Sun or one of the other hotels in Sandton? If you're ever here over a weekend you should let me know, may be able to take you to a race meeting or at least to one of the tracks.

Thanks for the wishes guys, always appreciated.

'04 Candy Blue CBR 600RR
Yoshi RS5 Full System
BMC Air Filter
PCIII usb
Arrow rearsets
APR Racing brake pads

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 04:21 AM

Nice to hear from another part of the world. Thanks. You guys start early in the year.

There is a case for intermediates, but Ive never used them, and of course you need a third set of wheels. More hassle!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Actually, we only start early compared to you guys. It's summer here and there are 10 races to get in before the end of the season, 1 race a month until November!

Our regulations prohibit the use of intermediates and I only have the one set of rims in any case which is why I couldn't get the tires changed in time! I definitely need to look at another, but they cost an absolute fortune :(

'04 Candy Blue CBR 600RR
Yoshi RS5 Full System
BMC Air Filter
PCIII usb
Arrow rearsets
APR Racing brake pads

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 04:46 AM

thank god real motorcycle topics again!!! yee haw!!! nice write up and finish!!!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 09:19 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Rhino, I usually stay in the Ceasars hotel close to the airport. I think it's called Ceasars, its that hotel/gambling center in town. The company I work for is located in Springs, SA.

I plan on being down there in about a month. Totally appretiate the invite. It would be awesome to check out a race, but I won't hold your umbrella...hahaha!

Fire Coming Out Of The Monkeys Head
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayrock
Rhino, I usually stay in the Ceasars hotel close to the airport. I think it's called Ceasars, its that hotel/gambling center in town. The company I work for is located in Springs, SA.

I plan on being down there in about a month. Totally appretiate the invite. It would be awesome to check out a race, but I won't hold your umbrella...hahaha!
Ye, Ceasars is right although it's changed name now to Emporors Palace. I have no idea why though. It's a pity you're not a bit closer, Springs is a good 45 minute to an hour drive from my house.

Oh and I think I have an umbrella girl for the next race, I'll have to wait and see though ;)

'04 Candy Blue CBR 600RR
Yoshi RS5 Full System
BMC Air Filter
PCIII usb
Arrow rearsets
APR Racing brake pads

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

bump - updated with pics!

'04 Candy Blue CBR 600RR
Yoshi RS5 Full System
BMC Air Filter
PCIII usb
Arrow rearsets
APR Racing brake pads

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page