safety wire rear axle - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
safety wire rear axle

Say, how does everybody do this. I tried drilling through the nut and axle last night, but the bit broke before I got through. Also, I thought, this isn't gonna work everytime I change tires I'll have to line up the holes. Do you just drill the nut and wire back to the swing arm? Also, any tips on how to stop breaking bits. I think I'm maybe just impatient. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 12:18 PM
cvlighthouse

Some guys drill a hole into the end of the axle and wire back to the chain adjusters..
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 12:44 PM
Superbike racer

i drilled two holes in the nut.....giving you a few options once everything is tightened up

CCS EX#100

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 12:48 PM

I drilled 4 holes through the nut to give a few options. The 1/16th bits break often so you will need to buy a few. This happens to everyone. Another trick is to buy the safety clips from Ace hardware so you dont have to cut and rewire everytime, you can just pull the clips and they will stay attached to your chain adjusters.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 12:55 PM

post pics por favor
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 01:20 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbouma
Say, how does everybody do this. I tried drilling through the nut and axle last night, but the bit broke before I got through. Also, I thought, this isn't gonna work everytime I change tires I'll have to line up the holes. Do you just drill the nut and wire back to the swing arm? Also, any tips on how to stop breaking bits. I think I'm maybe just impatient. Thanks.
I'll post some pics tonight of what I did. I had the same exact concern and it's true that sometimes the holes won't match up. Basically I just drilled holes from the adjacent flat hex sides to put a cotter pin/clip straight through the bolt, not the axle.

Check ebay item #4612657259. The picture he has there for the rear axle is not what I did but what you mentioned. That seller is great by the way, but you can buy slightly smaller ones from Home Depot.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Hey, thanks for all the tips. I might pick up one of those clip sets. You still have to line up the axle hole on the nut. Thanks again.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 10:52 PM

Here's a pic of my set up. I ran a pin thru the axle, and another thru the caliper bolt, then wired them together. It's quick to get off and back on.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 11:04 PM

This one looks very close to mine. Thats the best way i have seen to safety wire the back of a bike. I did the same thing to the other side of the axle too. I am going to do the same thing to the caliper bolts on the front as soon as a buy more clips. I will probably try to do my front axle, but there isnt alot of room to install the clips to the pinch bolts. Its worth a try because it saves a lot of time at the track when changing tires
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 03:02 PM
World Superbike Racer

Forgot to take a pic of my setup. Basically similar to this where the pin does not have to go through the axle, just the rear axle bolt. And I did the same as sixgunracing, the other pin went into the rear brake caliper bolt.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 07:29 PM

IF you do what sixgunracing did to his in the pic then you will be better off than any other method. That saves alot of wiring at the track
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 10:29 AM

Another way to do this and convert to a quick change rear set up is to weld the nut to the right chain adjuster. Then drill the bolt head (left side ) and use a big clip in it like you see on GSXRs. safety wire the clip to the left adjuster and you are golden

I will post a couple of pics later. This makes it easier to change wheels.

another thing to do is bevel the lower edge of the rear brake pads at a 45 degree angle. this makes it easier to slide the rotor up in there when you are in a hurry.

finally, I have the left rear brake pad drilled and safety wired to the side of the caliper to give the rotor more room to slip up in there. Jury is still out on this. The front of the left pad may be angled in to the rotor and wear more. I'll keep an eye on it.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 11:16 PM

6Guns is nice, I think I'll change my set up,
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 11:36 PM

Axle BOLT wired:

Axle Nut is WELDED to right side adjuster. No chasing it...

No pic; you can imagine it.

Pads beveled and wired apart for easier rotor insertion (sounds dirty, huh)

This all was done for quick rear changes in endurance races. But hell anything that makes your life easier is good by me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page