Spring Mountain w/ TrackXperience 3/1 & 3/2 - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Spring Mountain w/ TrackXperience 3/1 & 3/2

Anybody going? The forecast is said to have a 30% chance of rain On Saturday and clear on Sunday but it's hard to know for sure until Friday.

There are plenty of spots open for Sunday apparently, and while I won't shy away from a rainy track day (it's supposed to make you a better rider) I would like for it to not be raining lol.

Regardless, I'll be renting a truck and heading out there for Sunday from So Cal! Hope to see some of you guys there!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

You don't have to drag knee to go fast around a track!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Well it's said and done! That track is so smooth! Everybody was cool as usual and unfortunately I went down on my 2nd session out, but I fixed the bike back up, got it re inspected and they continues to let me ride!

One of the control riders figured out why I crashed after he followed me on the 4th or 5th session.

Overall it was a really fun time, and it's a nice track!

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 01:27 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnieR View Post
Well it's said and done! That track is so smooth! Everybody was cool as usual and unfortunately I went down on my 2nd session out, but I fixed the bike back up, got it re inspected and they continues to let me ride!

One of the control riders figured out why I crashed after he followed me on the 4th or 5th session.

Overall it was a really fun time, and it's a nice track!

I was there Saturday, weather was perfect! The track was nice and smooth, not a fan of the 2 sharp left turns though lol (turn 4 and 5). Glad you were able to get back up and ride again :thumbsup: WHat was the reason u crashed if u don't mind me askin?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sw33p3r View Post
I was there Saturday, weather was perfect! The track was nice and smooth, not a fan of the 2 sharp left turns though lol (turn 4 and 5). Glad you were able to get back up and ride again :thumbsup: WHat was the reason u crashed if u don't mind me askin?

I like those two turns, particularly the first turn I feel you can carry more entry speed then that second left, but then you can rip out of that second one and fly through the next left, then the chicane. It's definitely a fast track. How were you taking that first right and then the next couple sequences of rights while going up the hill? Pretty much full throttle to that apex point then full throttle up the hill? Do you know what I'm talking about?

I crashed because when I'm adjusting my body, sometimes mid turn I realize that I don't have proper body position, so I raise my butt and move over to try and correct it. This upsets my suspension and stuff gets bouncy. I need to make sure I'm in proper body position before the turn as well as sliding my butt smoother from side to side. I also have a weird feet position on my pegs (probably because I'm pigeon towed) so it was preventing me from opening my hips enough. So now I'll be working on grabbing my sub frame with my heels and making sure my feet are on the edge of my pegs.

Last edited by JonnieR; 03-03-2014 at 02:56 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 03:41 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
I like those two turns, particularly the first turn I feel you can carry more entry speed then that second left, but then you can rip out of that second one and fly through the next left, then the chicane. It's definitely a fast track. How were you taking that first right and then the next couple sequences of rights while going up the hill? Pretty much full throttle to that apex point then full throttle up the hill? Do you know what I'm talking about?
Yea those 2 left turns will take me a while to master, I just can't manage to ride through them smoothly and @ a decent speed. Love the slight rights before the hill, not sure though if I can go through it full throttle up to the apex (it felt like I could do it as I was riding but chicken out last minute lol).

Did you take any vids? I'm assuming you were at level 3? I'm curious to see how you took the 2 left's we were talking about. It might help me out on the next outing out there.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Yea those 2 left turns will take me a while to master, I just can't manage to ride through them smoothly and @ a decent speed. Love the slight rights before the hill, not sure though if I can go through it full throttle up to the apex (it felt like I could do it as I was riding but chicken out last minute lol).

Did you take any vids? I'm assuming you were at level 3? I'm curious to see how you took the 2 left's we were talking about. It might help me out on the next outing out there.

Their fun, it was my first time on that track, and no I'm a noob! Super slow! Although I was told that by the end of my 1st ever track day at streets of willow that I could definitely ride the middle group. When I go back, I'll be signing up for the slow group, an hopefully move up to the middle group around the middle of the day. I think i got all the track day butterflies out of my stomach, and I've had my first track crash already so the way I see it, is I can only advance from here!

Nope, no video. I really want to get a recording device but I'm broke and have to pay the county for tickets that I got in my dumber days hot rodding in my car before I knew what the track was lol.

On Sunday, the ambulance broke down so we were an hour behind so that cut us down to 7 sessions. Ten first session out I was with instructors because I wanted to learn so our laps we're extremely slow an only did like 3 or 4 so I didn't really lean the track. Then next session out, I crashed on my second lap into turn 1, so I missed the rest of that sessions. Then the owner told me to fix my bike and bring it back to tech and that he's going against their zero crash policy by letting me go back out there. So I promised him I would clear my head, miss the next session and get the bike going which I did. Then I got to go out, and I practiced the single gear drill, which helped. So now let's see. So that was the 5th session out, and at this point, I've barely learned anything because 1st session was too slow, 2nd session was missed after 2nd lap crash, 3rd session was missed because I kept my word and fixed my bike, 4th session was ridden but doing the single gear drill, and the first session of the day was missed because of a late ambulance.

Now I'm comfortable on the track but there's only 1 or 2 sessions left..... And I didn't want to crash at the end of the day, so I rode, but I took it fairly easy.

That's how my day went. Not ideal, but it was okay.

Last edited by JonnieR; 03-04-2014 at 06:11 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

You should come to chuckwalla on March 14th! Me and another buddy will be there. I think there's a couple other guys on here going as well!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 11:21 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey Guys
Glad you came out and had a great time on track and at the pot luck.
The track was slippery due to the weather but still a blast to run.
That turn 5 is tighter than it looks. Took awhile to learn it.
Next time in April Jonnie Ill ride with you and shoot some video.Just hit me up Red/Black CBR 600RR w/ Orange NEXX helmet,Control rider for TrackX. All of control riders at TrackXperience are always willing to help out.
Hope to see you at Streets.

Make sure to check my spelling,I was out riding during most of high school
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR Roc View Post
Hey Guys

Glad you came out and had a great time on track and at the pot luck.

The track was slippery due to the weather but still a blast to run.

That turn 5 is tighter than it looks. Took awhile to learn it.

Next time in April Jonnie Ill ride with you and shoot some video.Just hit me up Red/Black CBR 600RR w/ Orange NEXX helmet,Control rider for TrackX. All of control riders at TrackXperience are always willing to help out.

Hope to see you at Streets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Nh4N...2Z9C2iTbWoOEfA

Yeah it was awesome. I wasn't there for the potluck just early in the AM for Sunday!

Sounds good, yeah everyone was really helpful, I sent off an email to you guys after the day to thank everyone as well as get on the wait list for SOW since it's sold out for Saturday, and that's the only day I can make it!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 01:49 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
You should come to chuckwalla on March 14th! Me and another buddy will be there. I think there's a couple other guys on here going as well!

I've been planning to do some cali trackdays but not until after May since I have friends n family visiting before then :( -- I noticed there's one for June in Chuckwalla, if it's not too hot I might check it out..

How do you like streets of willow? compared to Pahrump? Hopefully I'll be able to check out at least 1 of the cali tracks before the end of the year. I'll probably be still doing group 1 for now, until 90% of the group stops passing me, i'll stay at 1 haha.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
I've been planning to do some cali trackdays but not until after May since I have friends n family visiting before then :( -- I noticed there's one for June in Chuckwalla, if it's not too hot I might check it out..

How do you like streets of willow? compared to Pahrump? Hopefully I'll be able to check out at least 1 of the cali tracks before the end of the year. I'll probably be still doing group 1 for now, until 90% of the group stops passing me, i'll stay at 1 haha.

Hopefully you can, that would be awesome!

I really really like streets. It has nice elevation changes and interesting camber as well as blind spots that I really enjoy. I'd ride willow over spring mountain if I could, it's a good technical track. Spring mountain is really nice, but it feels like you're stuck taking a right turn forever, then 3 lefts. Idk, just my opinion. With Streets you get over on each side a fair amount if you know what I mean.

Regardless, track riding is super super fun, and I want to improve so much. Hopefully in a year or so I'll be able to race. But that might be a pipe dream for now lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page