Feelings & tendencies the day before a trackday? - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Feelings & tendencies the day before a trackday?

What kind of thoughts run through your guys' head? How do you feel, what do you do, eat, drink, play, etc the day before your track day?

For me, if were camping at the track, it seems like I'm more calm and not so excited. Everything's pretty mellow for me.

If were not camping, and driving there the day of, I've noticed I'm extremely hyper, super excited, I feel amazingly ready for some reason, and I just can't wait for it. My day always goes good, and I drink tons of water and Gatorade the day before.

So, what about you guys?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

You don't have to drag knee to go fast around a track!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 01:15 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'll let you know after I do some track days this year
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 01:47 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Drink a lot of water, walk around all day with a chubby, can't sleep.
So pretty much just like any other day

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________
Thank you for purchasing a 600rr as your first bike.
The odds are strong that you will successfully add to our classified section and help lower parts prices

Crash Stats: Length of ownership
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=313730

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 02:19 AM
Maynard

I just wonder how busy it will be. I pee a lot, last time I accidentally pissed a lil on my suit. lil guy wasnt done yet. bastard.

2W1R

2012 M1100 EVO
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnDoubleR For This Useful Post:
jerryme (04-07-2014)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 02:33 AM
Knee Dragger

The day before a trackday is always busy for me. Oil change, wash bike, check everything twice, pack my backpack, etc.

I can never get enough sleep that night, maybe 3 or 4 hours. Then I wake up late and have to rush. All of my trackdays have been local so I always ride my bike there the morning of. I'm usually nervous on the way there but I try to jam out on my ipod a little and relax. I'm completely calm once I get there and register though. I think it would be really cool to get there the night before and camp out, that would eliminate most of my anxiety.

I mostly worry about something happening that would make me miss it...like the one time I locked myself out of the house the morning of a trackday, or the time a leaky gas pump almost soaked my leathers on my way to the track, or the time a bee stung my left ring finger before I got my gloves on...lol. Luckily, I didn't miss any of those trackdays.

Last edited by PatrickRR; 03-30-2014 at 02:36 AM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 09:21 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Useless at work usually 2 days leading up to the event.

Drink lots of water. Go through my packing list about 256274 times. Stare at my bike ALOT. Dream about my markers.

'07 CBR600RR Track-Only Demon!
Nesba/N2/PRE/TPM/Roger Lyle "A" Group // CCS #306

'08 GSXR 600 Blue ~ Current Bike
'07 Yamaha R6 Blue ~ SOLD
'08 CBR600RR Silver ~ SOLD
'06 Yamaha R6 Black ~ SOLD
'08 GSXR 600 TrackOnly ~ SOLD
'08 GSXR 600 White ~ SOLD
'08 Yamaha R6 ~ SOLD
'07 GSXR 750 ~ SOLD
'12 Aprilia RSV4 Factory ~ Crashed/SOLD
'07 CBR600RR Black ~ SOLD
'09 CBR600RR Phoenix TrackOnly ~SOLD
'09 CBR600RR Red/Black ~SOLD
'07 CBR600RR Blue/Silver ~SOLD
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 01:13 PM
Moto GP Racer

Good thread!

For me, it's getting my head back in the game. My #1 goal is to get myself to a point where I can pick up where I left off, so my progress begins quickly. As opposed to just getting back up to pace. I want to be AT PACE by at least the end of the first session. If not within a couple laps.

For me it's going back and watching videos from my last trip to this particular track. Read my notes from the last time I was there. I keep notes from each session, these are INCREDIBLY helpful getting back to pace quickly.

Then it's the hydrating and taking notes of things I need to bring. Although the last part doesn't take much effort. I bring a LOT of stuff, so my chances of forgetting anything is VERY tough! I load the weekend before. That gives me extra time to see things I might want to bring.

"at 8k i often get the tire to slip a bit(kinda like stoner in motogp) when i start to get on the throttle"
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner1000RR View Post
Good thread!

For me, it's getting my head back in the game. My #1 goal is to get myself to a point where I can pick up where I left off, so my progress begins quickly. As opposed to just getting back up to pace. I want to be AT PACE by at least the end of the first session. If not within a couple laps.

For me it's going back and watching videos from my last trip to this particular track. Read my notes from the last time I was there. I keep notes from each session, these are INCREDIBLY helpful getting back to pace quickly.

Then it's the hydrating and taking notes of things I need to bring. Although the last part doesn't take much effort. I bring a LOT of stuff, so my chances of forgetting anything is VERY tough! I load the weekend before. That gives me extra time to see things I might want to bring.

I was thinking of taking notes after each session, per track. But I was unsure if what to put, probably stuff like "go faster into turn 1." "Turn 3 is banked, I can carry more speed. Take it a BIT quicker." "Turn 7 is full throttle all the way through, don't be scared."

But idk lol. For now I'm just taking lap times and recording them.

What kind of notes do you take?

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 02:24 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnieR View Post
I was thinking of taking notes after each session, per track. But I was unsure if what to put, probably stuff like "go faster into turn 1." "Turn 3 is banked, I can carry more speed. Take it a BIT quicker." "Turn 7 is full throttle all the way through, don't be scared."

But idk lol. For now I'm just taking lap times and recording them.

What kind of notes do you take?
Well everyone approaches things differently, so you have to find what works best for you.

But for me, I write down EVERYTHING I can remember from that session. Literally everything.

I have this personal issue with the lack of emotion. An actual clinical issue... lol Because of this I have a hard time focusing on the task at hand. My mind likes to wander... I find myself looking off in the distance, what's that corner worker doing? Hey, look at the birds... LMAO!

So I write down EVERYTHING!!! How many birds were there? What was that corner worker doing?

When I read this back later I can asses how much I need to work on. If my mind is free enough to do this, then I can go MUCH faster.

EVERYTHING is relevant!!! Everything!

But, for suggestions? Start with noting things you don't know, as opposed to things you know.

Saying T-X is a full throttle exit, that's something you obviously know. How's that going to help you the next time out?

But things you DON'T know... Now that can be helpful!

"Man, I didn't like how the front felt in T-x..."
"Think I'm catching the limiter on that exit of T-x... Maybe I need to look at gearing? Or rolls speed so I can use a higher gear?"
"I had 3 feet of track left on that exit, I must be able to be more aggressive on the throttle there"
"I kept getting out-broke into T-x... Can I improve there? Was the bike stable? What was I feeling? Can I move my brake marker?"

Now afterwards you can go back and read these notes and then think through these things. Grab a track map, watch one of your videos with these questions in mind. Maybe watch some other peoples videos and see how they approach these areas. Do you see them doing or struggling with the same things? Do you have an advantage? Do they have an advantage?

I hope that makes SOME sense...

"at 8k i often get the tire to slip a bit(kinda like stoner in motogp) when i start to get on the throttle"
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 02:52 PM
World Superbike Racer

I try to prepare the bike a couple of days ahead of time. I make sure the oil is good, chain is good, etc. that way I don't forget anything. I load the bike and all my track related stuff the night before, so all I have to do is wake up, shower and hit the road. The first couple of track days were brutal, went to bed at like 1 or 2 am and I was up at like 5 am. Red bull got me through the day.

AF4iK - Which tracks do you plan on visiting this year?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Feelings & tendencies the day before a trackday?

I'll be having my 2nd track day alone on the 27th of this month at SOW. I'll be towing my bike for the first time with my v6 accord and probably a rented trailer from uhaul. I plan on fitting a front and rear stand, tire warmers, a generator, a canopy, a set of tools, as many tools and spares as I have/need, zip ties, my transponder, all my gear, food and drinks for the day in the car. Idk how well that will work since I have 2 twelves in my trunk, but I will probably take all that stuff out.

Anything else I should bring? I've read a couple checklists here, and I usually try to use them. I'll set up everything on Friday or Saturday night to be ready to head out Sunday morning!

I guess I'll bring a notepad too to take notes of everything. This will be my 3rd time at this track. First time I was slow, it was my first track day. Second time I was improving, doing good, then crashed in the bowl. This third time I'm gonna be heavily focused on proper body positioning. I was "crossed up" as they say when I crashed. If I can fix that issue, I should be able to go A LOT faster!

Last edited by JonnieR; 04-07-2014 at 06:46 PM.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 06:50 PM
World Superbike Racer

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mina View Post

I only bring like 3 things on the fluid list, and I don't have anything for the pit set up. I'll probably steal you list and simplify it a bit more. I'll take what I NEED just making sure everything is good the day prior. If you crash to the point where you're loosing oil, chances are you're done for the day no?

Idk. But I'll reference back to this when I'm prepping for the track.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 07:40 PM
Pocketbike Racer

JonnieR
Bring some 5 gal buckets and fill w/water or something heavy to keep your canopy from flying off into someone elses property. It gets preety windy out at SOW.
Just Saying

Make sure to check my spelling,I was out riding during most of high school
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR Roc View Post
JonnieR

Bring some 5 gal buckets and fill w/water or something heavy to keep your canopy from flying off into someone elses property. It gets preety windy out at SOW.

Just Saying

I will be using my generator on one side, and a 5 gal fuel jug at another end! I tried looking for you on the 29th, but you were inside your trailer! I crashed that day, but prior to crashing I wanted you to follow me around. Too bad though. :(.

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 07:55 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Bananas...eat bananas at the track. That's the only thing I didn't notice mentioned here.

The day/night before a trackday I always make sure I have a to-do list. Get all the big stuff done before then, but I leave things for me to do so I can occupy my mind and be trackday focused (by packing s*** :) ). Seriously though it helps me be prepared.

The morning of I am all nerves and excitement. It's crazy how all of that fades away the very first time we pull out of hot pit onto the track.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 02:24 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnieR View Post
I will be using my generator on one side, and a 5 gal fuel jug at another end! I tried looking for you on the 29th, but you were inside your trailer! I crashed that day, but prior to crashing I wanted you to follow me around. Too bad though. :(.

Im always at Tech in the morning. Just ask. Next time for sure. SOW is not my fav. You gotta get out to Spring Mountain.
C U soon

Make sure to check my spelling,I was out riding during most of high school
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR Roc View Post
Im always at Tech in the morning. Just ask. Next time for sure. SOW is not my fav. You gotta get out to Spring Mountain.

C U soon

Alright. I'll keep a look out. I'm not a big fan of SOW either. Spring mountain is nice, so smooth! Lol.

You'll be there this weekend I assume?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page