Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Which Fasteners to Choose and General Questions

Hey guys,

I just had a weekend of corner working at the Ridge in Washington. It was pretty fun watching all the WMRRA experts race, made me want to get my bike to the track even more. I was going to bring my bike to do the taste of racing during lunch, but figured since the forecast said rain, I didn't. I'm glad I didn't because boy did it rain on Sunday.

Anyways, I purchased a perfect set of 05-06 Sharkskinz race body work for my 03 600rr for the slim price of 200 dollars, and now I am looking for a way to attach them. I was wondering what fasteners are those of you who have Sharkskinz running, or what fasteners work on race fairings in general? The holes are already drilled for me and they are about twice the size that you get on street fairings. I think I prefer the clip-on style and I am looking to order from Kurveygirl, linky:

http://kurveygirl.com/shop/product_i...products_id=67

I just dont know what size to get or quantity. I am thinking 12mm 6 piece D-ring Dzus fasteners.

Also, I do not have a truck and plan on buying a ticket for the performance riding school coming up on May 23rd. I would like to throw my race fairings on for it but I don't know how I would get the bike all the way down to Shelton. I have a Kia Rio, so I cant do any towing, and other than asking a friend with a truck to help you out, what do you guys without trucks do to get your bike to the track (when it has track fairings on it)? Any help is appreciated!

Jake

Love my 03 600RR

Build Thread:
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=394793

Black And Gold!

Last edited by jacob92icu; 04-30-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 12:02 AM
World Superbike Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
dude where did you pick them up for 200 I would kill for that!!

Anyway I know alot of people got a trailer from harbor freight and get it to work. Theres a thread on here about it. You could tow it just fine its 200 or 300 hundred for the trailer and 350 for the bike.. Thats like 2 people in your backseat

2007 Cbr600rr Black

[SIZE=1]Tripage IT and Plate Bracket, TST Turn Signals, GB Case Covers, Captive Rear Spacers, Driven 520 -1 +2 steel sprocket kit, Spiegler Steel Brake Lines, Front Fork Revalve, Stomp Grips, Speedodrd, Dunlop Q3's, HRC Rear Brake Res, Woocraft Frame sliders, Shorty levers, 90 Degree Valve Stems, EK 520 Black/Gold Chain, Tekarbon Chain Guard, Engine Swap, Brembo RCS, Evotech Front Brake Res, SBS Sintered Race pads, Healtech Quick Shifter, Vortex Rearsets, and Trackdays!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 12:05 AM
World Superbike Racer

Garage
theres more threads about it too!

https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=195752

2007 Cbr600rr Black

[SIZE=1]Tripage IT and Plate Bracket, TST Turn Signals, GB Case Covers, Captive Rear Spacers, Driven 520 -1 +2 steel sprocket kit, Spiegler Steel Brake Lines, Front Fork Revalve, Stomp Grips, Speedodrd, Dunlop Q3's, HRC Rear Brake Res, Woocraft Frame sliders, Shorty levers, 90 Degree Valve Stems, EK 520 Black/Gold Chain, Tekarbon Chain Guard, Engine Swap, Brembo RCS, Evotech Front Brake Res, SBS Sintered Race pads, Healtech Quick Shifter, Vortex Rearsets, and Trackdays!

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 12:12 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

I use those same fasteners on my track bike but I don't recall the size. They work great BTW. I had to drill my own holes so size wasn't really an issue. I'll bet if you call or email kurveygirl they can tell you exactly what you need. They helped me get the right thing when I wasn't sure.

Enjoy every minute of life!

Current stable:
05 Honda CBR 600RR (track only)
06 BMW R1200 GS (sold)
08 Honda CBR 1000RR (street only)
12 BMW K1600GTL

IBA# 57849

Motorcycle Road Trips I've Taken: http://lonemuser.blogspot.com/p/moto...rip-index.html
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Thanks for the good advice guys. Ill have to see if there is some way i could get a tow rig for my moms Jeep, as it would be more practical to get one for that than my kia haha. I'll also have to contact Kurveygirl to see what i should get.

And mran, i know! I couldn't believe it my self... It also came with a zero gravity double bubble and stomp grips lol. Some one also mentioned that it's only about 45 dollars to rent a trailer from uhaul for a weekend?

Love my 03 600RR

Build Thread:

Black And Gold!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 07:18 AM
BOTM Winner 05/15

Feedback Score: 28 reviews
I believe you need the 12mm for track fairings, and the 14mm if you use them on OEM, as they are slightly thicker.

I prefer the rivet style, as they look cleaner, IMO, and they can't be misplaced.

As for towing, you could always rent a pickup from Uhaul. Depending on distance from the track, it may not be cost effective. Check the local forums and see if they have a ride share thread. We have one on our local forum, and there is always free spots on someone's trailer.

-Chad

"Logically, any motorcyclist can do 60* of lean. The trick is coming back up again." - Neal Spalding
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6racr View Post
I believe you need the 12mm for track fairings, and the 14mm if you use them on OEM, as they are slightly thicker.

I prefer the rivet style, as they look cleaner, IMO, and they can't be misplaced.

As for towing, you could always rent a pickup from Uhaul. Depending on distance from the track, it may not be cost effective. Check the local forums and see if they have a ride share thread. We have one on our local forum, and there is always free spots on someone's trailer.
I'll have to check that out on the wmrra forum. Do you have any pictures of the rivet style fasteners that your running, both female and male while they are installed? I want the ones that stay in place really well, are easy to install, and are easy to fasten in and out if that helps at all haha.

Love my 03 600RR

Build Thread:

Black And Gold!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 01:50 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob92icu View Post
... Some one also mentioned that it's only about 45 dollars to rent a trailer from uhaul for a weekend?
That's about right. I haven't found a good deal on a trailer so I just go with a U-Haul. If I was doing 20 trackdays a year I would probably buy my own but for me this works.

Enjoy every minute of life!

Current stable:
05 Honda CBR 600RR (track only)
06 BMW R1200 GS (sold)
08 Honda CBR 1000RR (street only)
12 BMW K1600GTL

IBA# 57849

Motorcycle Road Trips I've Taken: http://lonemuser.blogspot.com/p/moto...rip-index.html
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerx2 View Post
That's about right. I haven't found a good deal on a trailer so I just go with a U-Haul. If I was doing 20 trackdays a year I would probably buy my own but for me this works.
Now I need to figure out a way to tow it! Haha... I thought maybe my moms jeep would have a tow rig, but I guess not. Maybe I could install one?

So, I know chad prefers rivet style, what style fasteners do the rest of you guys prefer? I want to order some of these soon, so throw out some suggestions.

Love my 03 600RR

Build Thread:

Black And Gold!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 07:51 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

I love the rivet style on my Triumph. None of them come off and I was able to easily remove them and store all my plastics without worrying about them.

12 Daytona 675
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 12:53 AM
Knee Dragger

Spend the extra time and the rivet dzuz fasteners - The clip on style fasteners tend to fall off.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 02:13 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
As others have said, get the rivet Dzus fasteners. The last thing you want to worry about when it's 5 minutes until your session is finding a clip-on Dzus that jumped off your lower and hid behind somebody else's bike, laughing at you. I use these:

http://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/produ...products_id=78

I did track days for a while without a truck, and it's a hassle, no two ways about it. If you don't want to tow with your car, you can consider renting a cargo van. Prices are generally pretty good, you can take two bikes easily, so you can split costs with someone else who wants to carpool.

I'd much rather have a van than a pickup for track days. Everything is enclosed, so you don't have to worry about parking it somewhere, loading/unloading is dead easy, and you don't have to worry about strapping your stuff down to make sure it doesn't fly out of the bed.

It is a foolish dog that barks at flying birds.
The Following User Says Thank You to ASCII For This Useful Post:
jacob92icu (05-06-2014)
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Thanks ASCII,

The other day I went ahead and ordered just the regular Dzus rivet fasteners, not the s-spring or anything. This is also what the staff at kurveygirl suggested for my bike.

I called Uhaul cause I saw that they had 19.95 pickup rentals, so I figured I would call and get an estimate. They said you cant simply strap the bike down in the back of the truck, so you would have to buy a trailer. I said ok, whats the cost for 2 days, and they said 197... ridiculous lol.

Love my 03 600RR

Build Thread:

Black And Gold!
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 10:22 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilpatch View Post
Spend the extra time and the rivet dzuz fasteners - The clip on style fasteners tend to fall off.

This. They are an absolute pain in the arse to install but worth it. Summit has a set for cheap.

Be sure to order a set with the S springs!

2008 CBR600RR - 2003 Honda S2000
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 08:25 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Thanks ASCII,

The other day I went ahead and ordered just the regular Dzus rivet fasteners, not the s-spring or anything. This is also what the staff at kurveygirl suggested for my bike.

I called Uhaul cause I saw that they had 19.95 pickup rentals, so I figured I would call and get an estimate. They said you cant simply strap the bike down in the back of the truck, so you would have to buy a trailer. I said ok, whats the cost for 2 days, and they said 197... ridiculous lol.

Their smallest motorcycle trailer will work okay, AS LONG as you have a wheel chock. Same thing with their smallest trailer. I prefer their smallest open trailer, and it should only cost 14.95. If you do a trackday on a Sunday, schedule the latest pick up on Saturday (or at least after their Sunday hours close) and make sure they have a 24 hour drop off. As long as they do, you can pick up the trailer at 5:30 PM ON Saturday, and return it before they open on Monday for the cost of 1 day. (I've returned a trailer at like 3 AM on Monday.)

You don't have to drag knee to go fast around a track!
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 08:27 PM
Moto GP Racer

Also, I bought a hitch for my accord and tow I problem. It is a v6 though....

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 09:52 PM
BOTM Winner 05/15

Feedback Score: 28 reviews
I'll be putting a trailer hitch on my Grand Prix. A lightweight trailer and the bike will only be 650-700 pounds, which most cars can handle without issue. My buddy tows his bike from Michigan to West Virginia and Tennessee to ride the mountains and has no problem with his Grand Prix.

Or, just don't tell Uhaul your putting a bike in the truck. Problem solved.

-Chad

"Logically, any motorcyclist can do 60* of lean. The trick is coming back up again." - Neal Spalding
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 12:03 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
I'll be putting a trailer hitch on my Grand Prix. A lightweight trailer and the bike will only be 650-700 pounds, which most cars can handle without issue. My buddy tows his bike from Michigan to West Virginia and Tennessee to ride the mountains and has no problem with his Grand Prix.

Yeah, don't tell uhaul your putting
A bike in it, but they still charge for miles....

I'm confident (at least fairly) in saying that I believe my car could tow 2 600 bikes in a trailer with 2 generators, a canopy, stands, warmers, jugs of gas, and whatever else you may need without much of a problem at all. my car basically didn't feel the bike behind us, and on the uphills it was only revd up 5-800 RPM to push through the hill.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Quote:

Hahaha I was debating whether or not I should even tell them. I might look into the open trailer truck like Jonnie was saying, that sounds like a good idea! But I think for the performance school coming up in a couple days I will just use my street fairings. Also, I just installed some vortex rearsets, and I wanted to try switching to GP shift but Im a little skeptical because I dont want to be trying to figure out GP shift while doing my first track day, and I dont want to do the first track day with standard shift and get used to it haha. Any suggestions?

I would be able to ride around with GP for a couple days before hand. Im also slightly worried about getting used to GP shift and not being comfortable with standard haha. Im a mess...

Love my 03 600RR

Build Thread:

Black And Gold!
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 06:18 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Hahaha I was debating whether or not I should even tell them. I might look into the open trailer truck like Jonnie was saying, that sounds like a good idea! But I think for the performance school coming up in a couple days I will just use my street fairings. Also, I just installed some vortex rearsets, and I wanted to try switching to GP shift but Im a little skeptical because I dont want to be trying to figure out GP shift while doing my first track day, and I dont want to do the first track day with standard shift and get used to it haha. Any suggestions?

I would be able to ride around with GP for a couple days before hand. Im also slightly worried about getting used to GP shift and not being comfortable with standard haha. Im a mess...

You have quite the dilemma on your hands lol! So, this will be your first TD, I assume first time loading the bike into a trailer or truck of any sort. Do you have a ramp? Do you have tie downs? Can your car tow? What kind of car do you have? Do you plan on ever buying a truck? How many track days do you plan to do? There's a lot of variables to consider.

At first when I started out, I had a friend with a truck who also rides, so we would stuff 2 CBR's into the back of a little 4 cylinder ford Ranger, and would hit the track. Now that I have more stuff (generator, stands, my own canopy, and gas) it's a bit harder to stuff it all in the bed of the ranger, but we make it work. However the problem that has came up, is that I'm doing more track days now and I'm not gonna borrow his truck. So to solve this problem, I bought a tow hitch for my accord, and when I go to the track now, I just tow my bike using a uhaul 5x8 (open) trailer I believe. Everything fits in the trailer pretty much, and I just use bungee cords to make sure stuff doesn't fly away. Soon enough, I'll buy a truck. Probably a stick shift 99-03 Chevy s10 4 cylinder! :).

As for the motogp thing goes, I would switch ASAP. Better to have your track bike with Motogp shift, and have to learn how to redo regular shogun on other bikes. At least that's m belief. I still have standard shifting, and I'm really skeptical about switching now because I already bang the hell out of my gears when down shifting. I'm a little afraid that I'll shift wrong since I'm so used to standard shifting and high side my bike lol.

The Following User Says Thank You to JonnieR For This Useful Post:
jacob92icu (05-11-2014)
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnieR View Post
You have quite the dilemma on your hands lol! So, this will be your first TD, I assume first time loading the bike into a trailer or truck of any sort. Do you have a ramp? Do you have tie downs? Can your car tow? What kind of car do you have? Do you plan on ever buying a truck? How many track days do you plan to do? There's a lot of variables to consider.

At first when I started out, I had a friend with a truck who also rides, so we would stuff 2 CBR's into the back of a little 4 cylinder ford Ranger, and would hit the track. Now that I have more stuff (generator, stands, my own canopy, and gas) it's a bit harder to stuff it all in the bed of the ranger, but we make it work. However the problem that has came up, is that I'm doing more track days now and I'm not gonna borrow his truck. So to solve this problem, I bought a tow hitch for my accord, and when I go to the track now, I just tow my bike using a uhaul 5x8 (open) trailer I believe. Everything fits in the trailer pretty much, and I just use bungee cords to make sure stuff doesn't fly away. Soon enough, I'll buy a truck. Probably a stick shift 99-03 Chevy s10 4 cylinder! :).

As for the motogp thing goes, I would switch ASAP. Better to have your track bike with Motogp shift, and have to learn how to redo regular shogun on other bikes. At least that's m belief. I still have standard shifting, and I'm really skeptical about switching now because I already bang the hell out of my gears when down shifting. I'm a little afraid that I'll shift wrong since I'm so used to standard shifting and high side my bike lol.

I plan on starting to hit the track regularly towards the end of the season. I have been contemplating buying a hitch for my kia rio lol and possibly buying my own trailer. Also, i have loaded many a bikes into trailers and backs of trucks haha, so i can do that.

Your opinion is the sane as mine, i don't want to get used to standard on the track and want to switch later. I'm just afraid ill be focusing on that too much during the performance riding school because i will not have much time to ride on the streets with it. Nonetheless, i think i will swap and just get as much riding in as i can. I also want to set my rearsets one spot higher, but I'm not sure how they will feel now.

Love my 03 600RR

Build Thread:

Black And Gold!
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 11:49 PM
Moto GP Racer

Which Fasteners to Choose and General Questions

Quote:
I plan on starting to hit the track regularly towards the end of the season. I have been contemplating buying a hitch for my kia rio lol and possibly buying my own trailer. Also, i have loaded many a bikes into trailers and backs of trucks haha, so i can do that.

Your opinion is the sane as mine, i don't want to get used to standard on the track and want to switch later. I'm just afraid ill be focusing on that too much during the performance riding school because i will not have much time to ride on the streets with it. Nonetheless, i think i will swap and just get as much riding in as i can. I also want to set my rearsets one spot higher, but I'm not sure how they will feel now.
Good man! Where are you located at? For now, $15 a trailer ain't bad at all, considering I don't have the $3-500 to drop on a trailer all at once, and it won't equal out until 20 TD's later, which by that time I'll have a truck! Lol.

My uncle HAD a Kia Rio. It was a POS, but I think it was just luck of the draw. Under 70k miles and his electrical was done, 5k later his ac unit went out. He sold the car right before the ac unit went out, so I can't speak on it's behalf much more, but I really believe he just got a lemon. My accord has even driven hard as hell for the last 30k miles, and now I'm at 115k. I just do regular maintenance, and it runs strong. Makes some funny noises, but I'm pretty sure the heat shield is loose.

Good for the truck thing then.

As for the school, do the schooling with the regular shifter that way you can take in as much as possible. Then switch it over. Your main focus should be on learning what they teach you as opposed to figuring out how to shift lol.

Last edited by JonnieR; 05-11-2014 at 11:55 PM.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnieR View Post
Good man! Where are you located at? For now, $15 a trailer ain't bad at all, considering I don't have the $3-500 to drop on a trailer all at once, and it won't equal out until 20 TD's later, which by that time I'll have a truck! Lol.

My uncle HAD a Kia Rio. It was a POS, but I think it was just luck of the draw. Under 70k miles and his electrical was done, 5k later his ac unit went out. He sold the car right before the ac unit went out, so I can't speak on it's behalf much more, but I really believe he just got a lemon. My accord has even driven hard as hell for the last 30k miles, and now I'm at 115k. I just do regular maintenance, and it runs strong. Makes some funny noises, but I'm pretty sure the heat shield is loose.

Good for the truck thing then.

As for the school, do the schooling with the regular shifter that way you can take in as much as possible. Then switch it over. Your main focus should be on learning what they teach you as opposed to figuring out how to shift lol.

Yea, thats what I was thinking about the shifting. My kia rio is pretty dang reliable haha. Good ol base model stick shift 2013! I have the 100k bumper to bumper warranty and always change the oil with full synthetic lol. Ill just be doing the school with my track fairings, thats coming up in a couple weeks now.

Love my 03 600RR

Build Thread:

Black And Gold!
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 05:25 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Yea, thats what I was thinking about the shifting. My kia rio is pretty dang reliable haha. Good ol base model stick shift 2013! I have the 100k bumper to bumper warranty and always change the oil with full synthetic lol. Ill just be doing the school with my track fairings, thats coming up in a couple weeks now.
good then it's figured out! Alright, good! My uncle had like an 08 or something. Just check your warranty, make sure a tow hitch doesn't void your warranty. If it does, you're gonna have to uninstall it before you bring the car to the stealership.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page