My 2nd trackday experience - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My 2nd trackday experience

So yesterday was my 2nd track day at miller motorsports park in tooele, Utah. Another fun and exciting day to be out on the track. They are having the gieco superbike shootout there this weekend so i got to see alot of factory teams and some of their riders on the track while i was there. That was pretty sweet.

I rode C group again and will probably stick to it for the whole track season this summer. I have quickly realized that street experience has little carryover to the track. Obviously some basic rules and techniques apply but track riding is like learning to ride all over again. Having sat chatted with my friend that races on what thing i needing to working on, I decided body positioning is of key importance and needed as a good base to becoming a better rider so most of my focus was aimed at that. While i still have TONS to learn i feel like there has been some improvement over my 1st time last month and this 2nd experience.

I could really feel a difference in the power delivery too since I had installed the K&N, pcV and the motion pro. Very smooth and "easy" to work with.

for those that care and/or are interested, the Hyperflo slip-on map has left me quite pleased and seems to be working well. Obviously, its not meant for my exhaust or even really my specific bike, but since I cant even use all the power in the bike while riding track theres no need to go have a custom map made at this point in time.

Here are some pics from the day..

the set up - all the garages were rented due to the shootout being in town etc.. The block offs and tire warmers i bought seem to be working great.. very pleased with both

gettin ready to go!

earlier in the day body position

later in the day..

"A" group riders

I know I still have a ways to go, but I think there has been some good improvement.

Life is best lived on two wheels

My 2010 Leyla Build
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.p...42#post6429842
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 03:39 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Interesting, glad you are having fun. Don't forget to create a track fund on the side, when the track bug bites, it bites hard.

So what sort of street riding did you do before you started tracking?

2011 CBR600RR 'X-Ray' Build Thread
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=294795

Co-President of Team46

"My bike is too fast for the track" Ubercool ZX-14R rider.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad Rage View Post
Interesting, glad you are having fun. Don't forget to create a track fund on the side, when the track bug bites, it bites hard.

So what sort of street riding did you do before you started tracking?
Ive ridden on and off ever since highschool (graudated 07), but i bought my first bike in 2011 so have been riding for about 3 years. Ive been living here in utah going to school this whole time so i do a fair amount of around town, highway and during the summer months a lot of canyon carving. Some of the skills carried over like basic counter steering etc but nothing compares..

and yes the track bug has already bitten, i find myself looking for new things all the time. After my first track day last month i spent 450 on the motion pro, k&n, pcV and block offs.. that made a huge difference tho.. Honestly, not even needed yet since i can use the power on the track due to lack of skill but it is good to have something to grow into..

Life is best lived on two wheels

My 2010 Leyla Build
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.p...42#post6429842

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 09:28 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I'll probably be opening up a can of worms, but in my experience tire warmers are unnecessary for anything less than slicks, and even then it just takes a lap and a half to get up to temps typically (and at C group speeds.) So if you want to save cash/trouble, you can elect to skip them.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 10:08 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
tire warmers also aren't needed on street tires at all. If your not fast enough to keep the heat in the tires while on the track its also possible to come into the pits with the tires cooler than when they left the warmers. I'm not buying tire warmers until my skill level is better than what dunlop q3's can put out.

'12 CBR1000RR - Streets
'09 ZX6R - Track only

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 03:12 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingChance View Post
I'll probably be opening up a can of worms, but in my experience tire warmers are unnecessary for anything less than slicks, and even then it just takes a lap and a half to get up to temps typically (and at C group speeds.) So if you want to save cash/trouble, you can elect to skip them.

Spend you money on suspension tuning and good tires.

But since you already have them, keep them. A lap on street tires is enough to warm them up. Once you move up in skill and group, then buy race tires and use your warmers.

Another thing about your track setup, bring some things to make yourself comfortable while you're there. A pop-up tent, chairs, etc go a long way esp on hot days.

Have fun with the track and thanks for sharing.

* * 600RR Ex-Track Junkie * *
Current bike - Yamaha Liquid Silver R1

- Competition Breeds Excellence -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page